Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why I think GTA will not work outside the USA.
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Downloadable Content / Next GTA Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
The Cool
The following is my own personal opinion. No, I have never been outside the United States of America. The only thing I know of other countries is from T.V. and Movies. So please don't call me a stupid American. I hope you will come in and educate me, because right now I would be pissed if the next game was overseas. So lets respect everybody's opinions, and have an intelligent conversation.

(My 8 reasons it would suck)

1. Driving on the other side of the road.
2. The Radio stations.
3. The types of vehicles.
4. The range of characters. (The U.S. has Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latinos, Italians, Indians, Irish, British, Russian, etc....)
5. The Criminal Lifestyles (I don't see much on Adult criminal life overseas)
6. I don't see how they would mix the accents well, and make it seem legit.
7. GTA has always made fun of Americas over-hyped media, and cultural lifestyles. (We don't get much of your media over here, so it would be hard to relate to the jokes. (I do like Shaun of the Dead though)
8. I just think it would limit the games overall potential.

p.s. none of this is personal, and my opinion is an uneducated one.
HB~Sauce
I agree with your list, especially 2,3, and 7.
TwoFacedTanner
You know...not everyone drives on that side of the road.

And there are some vicious criminals around the world we never hear about.
gingergenius
QUOTE(The Cool @ May 31 2008, 08:15 PM) [snapback]1443627[/snapback]
The following is my own personal opinion. No, I have never been outside the United States of America. The only thing I know of other countries is from T.V. and Movies. So please don't call me a stupid American. I hope you will come in and educate me, because right now I would be pissed if the next game was overseas. So lets respect everybody's opinions, and have an intelligent conversation.

2. The Radio stations.
4. The range of characters. (The U.S. has Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latinos, Italians, Indians, Irish, British, Russian, etc....)
7. GTA has always made fun of Americas over-hyped media, and cultural lifestyles. (We don't get much of your media over here, so it would be hard to relate to the jokes. (I do like Shaun of the Dead though)

yes, it is.

1. This aims your criticism at Britain since most places that aren't the US still drive on the left. And anyway, I can't think of an British person who ever found driving on the right a problem in GTA. Most of the time you drive at top speed on any bit of road you can in GTA, no one's there to tell you off for disobeying traffic laws.

2. Other countries have the radio too.

3. Cars aren't specific to the USA. Most of the best supercars come from Italy. The best executive saloons come from Germany. Japan is widely acknowledged as making the most efficient cars. It really doesn't matter what country you do it in.

4. I'll just use London as an example here. It was the centre of an Empire that spread to all parts of the globe. We've seen a steady stream of immigrants from everywhere. London is the second most multicultural city in the world after NYC. You get all races here.

5. You don't think there's crime overseas.

Johannesburg, South Africa has the highest murder rate in the world. Mogadishu, Somalia is the most dangerous city in the world - there's 12 year olds running around with AKs there on a regs.

All major British cities have a considerable black on black gun crime and street gang problem. Britain is also suffering an epidemic of youth stabbings, there's about 1 death a day in a small country like ours.

French cities have massive tensions between immigrants and whites in their cities which have spilled into really violent riots recently. We've had plenty of race riots in Britain too, the most recent between blacks and muslims.

If you want organised crime - the Neapolitan Mafia and the Sicilian Mafia are much more serious than any US mafia. In Naples the Mafia is conducting a campaign against Roma/ Gypsies and the government can't do jack. clicky

There's organised crime running immigration, drugs etc. all over the world not just America.

6. Why would they have to mix the accents? The characters would speak with the appropriate accent, like they do in the other GTAs....

7. Did you ever stop to think that non-American players might find it hard to relate to the jokes about America? No. The jokes are based on stereotypes that we recognise worldwide, about any country.

8. That point doesn't mean anything.
DanD
Surely a game made by British developers about Britain would be far better at getting British 'accents' right? (Judging by your comment about the 'other side of the road' - I assume you are reffering to Britain.

Your comments are biased though, whilst a GTA outside of America may not work for YOU I am sure there are countless others who it would work for. smile.gif (like me biggrin.gif)
Skinny 
QUOTE(The Cool @ Jun 1 2008, 05:15 AM) [snapback]1443627[/snapback]
2. The Radio stations.

1. What diffrence does it make?

2. How diffrent do you think music in other english speaking countries is? Most of the artists we hear are from America anyway.

3. Vehicles are the smae everywhere, America apparently has more muscle cars. That's all.

4. So do most Europian and Austrilasian countries.

5. There is crime in other countries >_>.

6. A good solution to that would be to hire actors from that country...

7. Most of GTA's jokes are about sex, wich is primarily universal.

8. Wrong.
JoelManiac
I'm Aussie and heres my opinion

So does every other game

2. The Radio stations.

We listen to american songs and I'm sure the rest of the world does too.
We have big V8 Holdens and Fords.

Go to any where with a population over 10,000 and I'm sure you will find all of those people.
We have gangs etc. Just because there are less movies on crime life doen't mean there is none. It's actually a big problem over in cities atm.

Sorry don't know what you mean.
I have never heard a joke that i have not understood from overseas so your saying you wont get a joke from over here. Stupid point really.

WTF?

MangoPandemic
In reference to Number 7, you're forgetting that there's a lot of sort of insider jokes if you will with it being developed in Edinburgh primarily, a lot of British references that most outside the UK won't catch. Vice City and SA (Leaf Links comes to mind) was full of them, I haven't found as many in IV but they are there.

And to Number 5, you haven't lived till you've seen a proper British crime film (Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels being the classic example).

This is of course, me talking from a British standpoint hailing from Scotland, but each and every country has its own examples all over the world, as is the nature of society.

However, with the states being as large a percentage of the gaming population as it is, I don't think it would sell as well because there is a current comfort zone with these sandbox games in an American environment.
PhantomStranger
This topic proves the ignorance of the average american. The guys that created GTA aren't american to begin with, they're british. The reason it works well in america is because you guys are so over the top. It's easy for the creators to take full advantage of this and use your stereotypes to tell a story while subtly being able to take the piss at the same time. All the other crap you said is irrelevant.
reform
I lol'd at how everyone came in and said the same thing as gingergenius. Quoting and saying "yes true" would have been easier.
NIGGALICIOUS
I don't really agree or disagree with any of the points, although When I play The Getaway I don't really like any of the cars in the game, Most are small and shitty imo, Might be a good car in real life, but I don't like the really small ugly cars. Sorry, Just my opinion. I like to see a wide variety of vehicles, Muscel cars, Exotics, Sports, Suvs, Compact, Luxary, Full size cars, etc
I Made Your Mom In GMod
2. The Radio stations.

Assuming you're talking about a London or UK-based GTA...

1. Most English people have adjusted to driving on the left. Why can't you adjust to driving on the right? What difference does it make?
2. From what I've heard most English radio stations are exactly the same as American ones.
3. Again, pretty much the same. Less SUVs - big loss...
4. Most European countries are the same.
5. The crime rate in Europe is generally much lower than in the US, so this is a valid point.
6. Elaborate. If you're referring to a complete lack of anything other than posh or cockney accents then I agree.
7. We don't get much British media here. It's all re-runs on 5 year old US sitcoms. Our cultures are alarmingly similar nowadays. However I do agree that it's more difficult to make fun of advertising and media which isn't as over-hyped, obvious and un-thought out.
8. How? It's still based on the same planet isn't it? With all the gravity, air and cars and stuff...
bouncing
Most of these are based on culture -- the GTA series is dripping with American culture, so you're supposing it won't sell overseas. But other cultural entertainment products from the United States do well around the world, like movies and TV shows.
PhantomStranger
QUOTE(bouncing @ Jun 3 2008, 10:46 AM) [snapback]1444262[/snapback]
Most of these are based on culture -- the GTA series is dripping with American culture, so you're supposing it won't sell overseas. But other cultural entertainment products from the United States do well around the world, like movies and TV shows.

No He's implying that the game would not work if it was set in say a European country for the next installment. Which is absolute crap.

I also don't understand what he means about the vehicles. American cars are the worst made vehicles in the world at the moment. European cars are at the top of the league with the Japanese closely behind. America used to make great cars but now they're just shit. That said you still find them outside the USA.

I don't think the next game will be set in a non american environment for the reasons I said before but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work if it was.
grimface1987
The point about the criminal lifestyles - well, the game is fiction. Even if the location didn't have a lot of crime in real lefe, i'm sure they would make it so the GTA version will!
The Cool
QUOTE(PhantomStranger @ Jun 2 2008, 11:30 AM) [snapback]1444075[/snapback]
This topic proves the ignorance of the average american. The guys that created GTA aren't american to begin with, they're british. The reason it works well in america is because you guys are so over the top. It's easy for the creators to take full advantage of this and use your stereotypes to tell a story while subtly being able to take the piss at the same time. All the other crap you said is irrelevant.

I clearly stated that my "OPINION" was uneducated, yet you still find it necessary to insult me. The reason I created this topic was to be educated, and for the most part everybody's doing that. After reading most of your replies, I have been truly enlightened. I have faith in Rockstar's ability to create good games, and if everything you people has said is true, i'm on board. I would love to see it overseas. It would be a new and fun experience for me.

p.s. I was going to be civil about this, but i'm only human. So, to PhantomStranger, and I quote, "Blow Me." thumbup.gif
bouncing
QUOTE(PhantomStranger @ Jun 2 2008, 09:26 PM) [snapback]1444272[/snapback]
No He's implying that the game would not work if it was set in say a European country for the next installment. Which is absolute crap.

Oh, I see. I then disagree too. Language would really be the barrier then, I think. But hey, just make them speak English with funny accents.

GTA Paris would be sweet. They could call it, "Wino City"! wink.gif
The Foo
There are plenty of iconic and historic buildings in european cities to make a wonderful game setting. I, personally, would love to tool around the british contryside in an 70's MG style car or Mini and then have to head back to London. Jumping the guardrail and taking the Chunnel to France dodging trains at high speed on a Triumph would be great fun. Base jumping from the Eiffel Tower would be a must do.
Dampkring
While I agree a location outside the United States would make for a very fun experience, it would take a large part away from what GTA is as a whole. It has always been largely pointed at American pop-culture. It seems to me that it would need to to stay here in satire-America where all the social commentary and stereotypes apply. What would GTA be without the array of American stereotypes? It wouldn't be the GTA we have come to know.
ConQueSteD

Well phantom we have ignorance? Did you DID YOU NOT READ HIS FUCKING POST? I think your the ignorant one. He is using His own opinion and you try to criticize him for his own opinion. How the fuck could we understand german radio stations. not every one understands german, France, Spanish. Just because one person doesn't like your opinion doesn't mean you have to be all over them. People use their opinion and here everone try's to change the opinion.

I agree with the Cool. Because it wouldn't feel normal for me to be outside of america, I wouldn't say i'd hate it im saying it would be complicating to under stand thier accent and their cultural beleifs. It would be somthing new and could be excitting when there is still detroit, and other places that america still has to give.
DiO
IMO Europe has far better music than America these days so Id love those radio stations. Everything else is pretty much taken care by ginger. I welcome an overseas GTA, I'd actually prefer it.

.......and don't forget about Canada! Canada is badass................... rolleyes.gif ..........sad.gif
grimface1987
Melbourne! Nice to see the Australian-American war from the other side smile.gif
+ mulicultural
+ gangland murders/drug trade/organised crime
+ diverse city (river + cbd + inner suburbs + port + airport + s/e suburbs)
+ similar radio to US
+ large range of vehicles
+/- drive on the left side of the road (depending where you're from)

A biased but cool idea!

Oh, and on a side note, our cops only have revolvers (six bullets) so they would be easy to take down!
Skinny 
QUOTE(grimface1987 @ Jun 10 2008, 02:26 PM) [snapback]1446700[/snapback]
Melbourne
+ mulicultural
+ gangland murders/drug trade/organised crime

gingergenius
QUOTE(I2un N Gun @ Jun 4 2008, 03:06 AM) [snapback]1444680[/snapback]

Well phantom we have ignorance? Did you DID YOU NOT READ HIS FUCKING POST? I think your the ignorant one. He is using His own opinion and you try to criticize him for his own opinion. How the fuck could we understand german radio stations. not every one understands german, France, Spanish. Just because one person doesn't like your opinion doesn't mean you have to be all over them. People use their opinion and here everone try's to change the opinion.

I agree with the Cool. Because it wouldn't feel normal for me to be outside of america, I wouldn't say i'd hate it im saying it would be complicating to under stand thier accent and their cultural beleifs. It would be somthing new and could be excitting when there is still detroit, and other places that america still has to give.

well as long as you're happy....

If you stood back and looked at your post you'd see you're ignorant. At least The Cool admitted it. Just look at the bit i bolded. Americans seem to have this impression that they're unique as a country; that they're somehow different to the rest of the human race, and that they're more important. GTA is a game about crime ffs. It has nothing to do with cultural beliefs. Plus, why are another country's cultural beliefs hard to understand? You never know, you may actually learn something about somewhere else...

As for accents, well that's your problem. If you listen hard enough, anyone speaking English is comprehensible. And anyway you can always turn the subtitles on...
Skinny 
QUOTE(I2un N Gun @ Jun 4 2008, 03:06 AM) [snapback]1444680[/snapback]
it would be complicating to under stand thier accent

Niko, Kent Paul, Ma Cippriani, Kenji, Catalina, Miguel, Elizebeta, Maria, Roman, JD O'Toole, Salvatore Leone, Vinnie, Sonny Forelli, Ceaser Villapando, Reni, Ricardo Diaz, Sgt. Martinez, Diego Mendez, Armando Mendez, Gonzalas, Colonel Juan Garcia Cortez, T Bone Mendez, Asuka, Kenji, King Courtney, El Burro, Umberto Robina, Auntie Paulet, The four Love Fist guys, Little Jacob, Real Badman, Mallorie, Vlad, Dimitri, Faustin.

Some of the most memorible GTA main characters of all time and they all had foreign accents (that's most of the main characters in the series). Was it hard to understand them? If so, the game must have been hard for you...
rafrules
mmmmm crime in Australia??? I live in tassie and one of the worlds biggest 1 man massacres happened here! The port Arthur massacre! I think that he ended up killing 37 people with a shot gun and nearly killing 12 others.... Correct me if i'm wrong:) but i would call that crime. Oh and i live in a little town (3000 people) and there are daily drug busts and and drug deals going on. There was a gang war last month and 4 of my mates ended up in hospital. And guess what the cops did????? SAT THERE AND WATCHED! Now i think thats corrupt!
jev
QUOTE(NiggaMan @ Jun 2 2008, 06:48 PM) [snapback]1444116[/snapback]
I don't really agree or disagree with any of the points, although When I play The Getaway I don't really like any of the cars in the game, Most are small and shitty imo, Might be a good car in real life, but I don't like the really small ugly cars. Sorry, Just my opinion. I like to see a wide variety of vehicles, Muscel cars, Exotics, Sports, Suvs, Compact, Luxary, Full size cars, etc

That's because the getaway is shit.
Reave
Well. I donīt agree. A opinion from Spain:

1. We drive by right, just like in GTA.

2.I donīt like a lot the OST of this GTA, but It could be worst. The Vladivostokīs music is from Europe. The San Juanīs is from South America. But I wonder: Why in this station they donīt speak spanish?

3.We have seen a lot of movies from USA, so we are habituated. A lot. A lot. A lot. And non automatic cars are a pain.

4.See three.

5.See three.

6.For me itīs the same an accent and another cause I have not enough level of spoken english to notice them. They donīt translate voices in GTAīs. And it really sucks. The subtitles are useful, but they donīt subtitle the people in street (they could use a little text floating over the speakers or something, I donīt know.) The Tv or the people speaking in street, the comments not subtitled etc, they are all useless for not english speakers like me. And the radios too. Only the music is useful, but I canīt use my own Mp3, so I always turn it off.

7.See three. We know you much more than you know us. For real. And we laugh of you more than you of yourself, ha ha. That was a joke.

8.Yeah. See six.

The cool thing about GTA for non usa people is:

I donīt know the cities in USA. I know Madrid, Barcelona and the others spanish cities. I have not been in all of them, but I know if they are big, small, if they have this or this building, if they are politically leftist or rightist, if they have beach etc. I know a lot of european cities, but, for example, San Francisco and Los Angeles were the same for me. I didnīt know the differences. (Las Vegas is a particular city, I knew about the casinos etc... But I didnīt know that it was in a desert etc). Today I can see a photo of a city and say: Ey, it can be L.A or S.F. Itīs a good educative tool. I want a GTA in a lot of cities in USA for learn about them. I wish a GTA in my small city v_V

The jokes are based on stereotypes that we recognise worldwide, about any country.
I donīt think so. There is not black* guys in large criminal bands here. There is, in fact, a little number of black people. We have not mafias, we have not bands of hispanos with that kind of jumping cars, we have not poor people sleeping in streets, etc etc etc. We have not this kind of right winded people, there are not creationtist etc etc

*I am not sure about the non racist way of speaking about black people. I think black is right

We listen to american songs and I'm sure the rest of the world does too.

Yeah. But we listen more european music than you. And we miss it. The "problem" (itīs not a problem actually) is that you sell things to us, so we learn a lot about you, USA people.

have never heard a joke that i have not understood from overseas so your saying you wont get a joke from over here

Spanish Joke

Ey Patxi. Did you know there are another cultures?
And what they raise?
shootthebandit
who says the next GTA will be limited to only 1 continent. perhaps they could keep liberty city but expand on Francis intl and you could catch a plane to the main country/state of each continent. eg london, japan, sydney,

dont flame just an idea.

oh yeah im from GB and i think it wouldnt be as good. our police force has even got guns and they're to tied down in paper-work to arrest anyone for proper crimes, so they enforce traffic laws. yeah really exciting cop chases in their diesel astra's. it'd be cool if they had the whole hot fuzz element. And the criminals... well youths in hooded tops or tracksuits terrorising a shopping centre by dropping litter and swearing. As a nation we are far more civilized than USA so take it as a compliment not to be featured in GTA.
neko_ceko
Best GTA would be whole world. But we all know that that's never gonna happen.
shootthebandit
QUOTE(neko_ceko @ Jun 23 2008, 10:41 PM) [snapback]1450063[/snapback]

well not at the moment anyway. give R* 10-15 years.
Reave
QUOTE(neko_ceko @ Jun 23 2008, 11:41 PM) [snapback]1450063[/snapback]

A bit of Scifi now: Imagine a Google Earth making lots and lots of photos of the whole world in different angles. The angles can make a 3D map of them. I mean: It can be automatized. Maybe not still, but wait 10 years... and imagination smile.gif
SirPsychoSexy
QUOTE(The Cool @ May 31 2008, 09:15 PM) [snapback]1443627[/snapback]

2. The Radio stations.

1. Very few countries have left traffic, Great Britain is alone in Europe.
2. That could be a big problem.
3. Most wellknown cars are german, italian, japanese or swedish...
4. America accepts very few immigrants, most countries have all ethnicities.
5. Crime is just as bad in asia and europe as it is in america.
6. I don't really get that one... But there are ofcourse accents in other languages than english, though i get it if you can't hear it.
7. You say your uneducated, maybe it would be a great opportunity for you to get to know other cultures?
8. That's not really a point...
Don Leone
Americans are generally too boring to accept anything set outside of New York or LA, so I can see that a foreign setting would turn their 'safe' little world upside down.
Fatty_Roman
melbourne is a great idea

look up underbelly on youtube you'll see
TreeFitty
QUOTE(Reave @ Jun 23 2008, 11:31 PM) [snapback]1450150[/snapback]
QUOTE(neko_ceko @ Jun 23 2008, 11:41 PM) [snapback]1450063[/snapback]

A bit of Scifi now: Imagine a Google Earth making lots and lots of photos of the whole world in different angles. The angles can make a 3D map of them. I mean: It can be automatized. Maybe not still, but wait 10 years... and imagination smile.gif

Or how about less than 5: Photosyth Prototype

And at the original poster: all the negative comments above me. wink.gif
insertclevername
Im from Canada and personally i would love a GTA: London in 3d. I like european cars more any and they still have all japanese and have skylines which usa does not have. British english is easy to understand and i liked the getaway so GTA: London would be wicked.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(thespacecowboy @ Aug 12 2008, 11:45 AM) [snapback]1459005[/snapback]
QUOTE(The Cool @ May 31 2008, 09:15 PM) [snapback]1443627[/snapback]

2. The Radio stations.

1. Very few countries have left traffic, Great Britain is alone in Europe.
2. That could be a big problem.
3. Most wellknown cars are german, italian, japanese or swedish...
4. America accepts very few immigrants, most countries have all ethnicities.
5. Crime is just as bad in asia and europe as it is in america.
6. I don't really get that one... But there are ofcourse accents in other languages than english, though i get it if you can't hear it.
7. You say your uneducated, maybe it would be a great opportunity for you to get to know other cultures?
8. That's not really a point...

In responce to you, space...
1. Yep, thats very true.
2. I don't know. I think they could make it unique....
3. Yes, but cars in europe are smaller in general, less variety....
4. Your completely wrong about this. America is one of the most diverse nations in the world.

The U.S. has a very diverse population—thirty-one ancestry groups have more than a million members.[118]White Americans are the largest racial group, with German Americans, Irish Americans, and English Americans constituting three of the country's four largest ancestry groups.[118] African Americans are the nation's second largest racial minority group, after Hispanics/Latinos, and third largest ancestry group.[119][118] Asian Americans are the country's second largest racial minority; the two largest Asian American ancestry groups are Chinese and Filipino.[118] In 2007, the U.S. population included an estimated 4.5 million people with some American Indian or Alaskan native ancestry (2.9 million exclusively of such ancestry) and over 1 million with some native Hawaiian or Pacific island ancestry (0.5 million exclusively).[119][120]

Minorities (as defined by the Census Bureau, all those beside non-Hispanic, non-multiracial whites) constitute 34% of the population; they are projected to be the majority by 2042.[123] However, White Americans overall (non-Hispanic Whites together with White Hispanics) are projected to remain the racial majority at 73.1% (or 303 million out of 420 million) in 2050.[124][125]

5. Maybe, but its not glorified the way american crime is.. the Mafia, ect

6. He's saying that if you did it in a country like, say, China, most of the characters would speak chinese if you wanted to make it authentic... and it would be a pain to read all the subtitles.

7. No, he isn't saying he's uneducated. He's saying that british or chinese culture isn't as easy to make fun of. I mean, sure we could make fun of english women with bad teeth and funny voices, but i don't think that would fit into GTA. On the other hand, American culture is very materialistic and very egotistical.. which makes it very easy to pick fun at.

Also, if you were to do it in a country in south america or the orient, you'd have to tease the minority in america, and accusations of racism would fly and it would be a huge PR problem for Take Two. One the other hand, who's going to complain if you make fun of white fat people who over consume everything.
Skinny 
QUOTE(Sittin @ Oct 14 2008, 08:26 AM) [snapback]1468424[/snapback]
3. Yes, but cars in europe are smaller in general, less variety....

No, just less muscle cars and gazz guzzling SUVs. I think we can get through the game without them.

5. Maybe, but its not glorified the way american crime is.. the Mafia, ect
There is such a large mafia in america becuase there are so many laws against gambling and prostitution. Some might say that it would be no fun to take it down to Aus, were those are legal...

7. No, he isn't saying he's uneducated. He's saying that british or chinese culture isn't as easy to make fun of. I mean, sure we could make fun of english women with bad teeth and funny voices, but i don't think that would fit into GTA. On the other hand, American culture is very materialistic and very egotistical.. which makes it very easy to pick fun at.

There is more to british jokes than just bad teeth and top hats, you know.
DuPz0r
I think GTA would work in any country. Especially a place where there is run down "poor" areas and big powerful gangs. That is the main attribute of a GTA game right there...

All they have to do is make sure the characters all speak English, but in an accent for a bit of authenticity.

Off the top of my head i can think of many European countries which GTA would be cool in. Poland, Russia, England, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Romania would all be awesome places. And then you have Japan, China, Mexico, Cuba, all Gang hotspots, perfect for a GTA game.
Kamahl
i played all of GTA III without knowing that it was based on new york, i think i can play a new game based on somewhere else... i dont even care if the place is just made up
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(DuPz0r™ @ Nov 23 2008, 04:38 PM) [snapback]1472527[/snapback]
I think GTA would work in any country. Especially a place where there is run down "poor" areas and big powerful gangs. That is the main attribute of a GTA game right there...

All they have to do is make sure the characters all speak English, but in an accent for a bit of authenticity.

Off the top of my head i can think of many European countries which GTA would be cool in. Poland, Russia, England, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Romania would all be awesome places. And then you have Japan, China, Mexico, Cuba, all Gang hotspots, perfect for a GTA game.

England and Italy would be awesome.
Or anywhere in Latin America.
anarchy xyz
jesus titty fucking christ it really shouldn't matter one bit which city its in the entire gta franchise is based on the prejudices and stereotypes that ALL people have thats why gta works in ALL countries rockstar have proven with the previous games that when creating game they over exagerate some aspects of life in that city if a city doesn't have one or two of the ingredients for a gta game the developers are sure to make it up and one more thing having to drive on the opposite side of the road would make for pretty funny gamplay think about it you could have tourists driving on the wrong side and the residents of that city gettin pissed at them/ramming there cars
Samurai_tbag
QUOTE(PhantomStranger @ Jun 2 2008, 03:30 PM) [snapback]1444075[/snapback]
This topic proves the ignorance of the average american.

Very true.

It's a bit sad that the most powerful country in the world can't even educate it's own population to international culture.
darkhedgehog12
QUOTE(gingergenius @ May 31 2008, 10:45 PM) [snapback]1443664[/snapback]

2. The Radio stations.

yes, it is.

1. This aims your criticism at Britain since most places that aren't the US still drive on the left. And anyway, I can't think of an British person who ever found driving on the right a problem in GTA. Most of the time you drive at top speed on any bit of road you can in GTA, no one's there to tell you off for disobeying traffic laws.

2. Other countries have the radio too.

3. Cars aren't specific to the USA. Most of the best supercars come from Italy. The best executive saloons come from Germany. Japan is widely acknowledged as making the most efficient cars. It really doesn't matter what country you do it in.

4. I'll just use London as an example here. It was the centre of an Empire that spread to all parts of the globe. We've seen a steady stream of immigrants from everywhere. London is the second most multicultural city in the world after NYC. You get all races here.

5. You don't think there's crime overseas.

Johannesburg, South Africa has the highest murder rate in the world. Mogadishu, Somalia is the most dangerous city in the world - there's 12 year olds running around with AKs there on a regs.

All major British cities have a considerable black on black gun crime and street gang problem. Britain is also suffering an epidemic of youth stabbings, there's about 1 death a day in a small country like ours.

French cities have massive tensions between immigrants and whites in their cities which have spilled into really violent riots recently. We've had plenty of race riots in Britain too, the most recent between blacks and muslims.

If you want organised crime - the Neapolitan Mafia and the Sicilian Mafia are much more serious than any US mafia. In Naples the Mafia is conducting a campaign against Roma/ Gypsies and the government can't do jack. clicky

There's organised crime running immigration, drugs etc. all over the world not just America.

6. Why would they have to mix the accents? The characters would speak with the appropriate accent, like they do in the other GTAs....

7. Did you ever stop to think that non-American players might find it hard to relate to the jokes about America? No. The jokes are based on stereotypes that we recognise worldwide, about any country.

8. That point doesn't mean anything.

You've just won the internet, sir.

STFU or GTFO complainers.
HELMET
There's people in the UK that play GTA games and they don't have a problem with driving on what they consider is the wrong side of the road. I think it's just a typical stubborn American attitude to not want to adjust to foreign lifestyle and culture. Hell, our government has been brainwashing us since the day we were born to reject any outside influence or culture.

I for one think the series needs to return to London.
London is a massive city, and I mean friggin massive, and it is riddled with tiny alleyways, and there's even underground parts to the city. Also I feel that the whole British gangster appeal is much more slick and clean, and makes for a better detailed story. look at the film "Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels" for example. That's some pretty slick s*** right there. You put a story similar to that with the twists and the "everybody is screwing everybody over" situation and you've got possibly the best GTA storyline ever made. But that would not be possible if it was an american made story. Not to be bias, but Americans are just too patriotic and "go in gunz blazin all over da place" to create such a story with such an atmosphere and depth. This could be achieved in London. I'm a strong supporter of this. I'm gonna make fliers and pins and everything just for this.
This was exactly what I was hoping IV would have been but it is still a good game.

They made all the others based on the original series except London. You had to play The Getaway on the other side of the road and that game was fun (until San Andreas came out and whooped it's ass).

Another thing, Ireland would be a cool idea and all and there is LOTS of gang and drug related activity over there. There's already characters in the new series that could support this transition too (Packy, Gerry and the other guy I can't remember his name).

Either way I think it's time that GTA steps out of the safety zone with creating newer cities already used and go overseas. I personally don't care if you have to drive on the wrong side of the road and i think it would be a good switchup.

One more thing, this game needs to somehow involve itself with the name associating it in the future. It's grand theft auto. How about a storyline and gameplay that heavily involves car theft and boosts for gang members and cash. In IV you only steal a few cars and bikes then that's it, all done. The game is great and all, but we should be able to see the underworld of car theft and it's purpose in the criminal underworld as much as gunfights. Right now grand theft auto is just an action game with no true elements that it should bring to the table from what the title suggests. I would like to see this change in the future as well.
The Awesome One
gta will work in london,no doubt,tokyo maybe..
Full Metal Monkey
QUOTE(black personMan @ Jun 2 2008, 05:48 PM) [snapback]1444116[/snapback]

The Getaway isn't anywhere near a good enough comparison of a game to say that one made by Rockstar North set in somewhere else outside of the US would work or not.

Rockstar North have every ability to make a game in for example London or Manchester and make it as good as every other Grand Theft Auto game if not better.

This hasn't effected the sales in the UK or any other country that drives on the left hand side.

2. The Radio stations.

Try listening to Kiss FM breakfast show, Capital FM breakfast show and tell me their not as entertaining as anything you get in the US. If anything it should be better because its better funded.

American cars tend to be shit. The best car manufacturers in the world are either European or Japanese.

Come to London and tell me were not diverse.

I have first hand insight onto the criminal lifestyle as my dad is one of the biggest drug dealers in South West London and has some very infamous friends. There is also the Albanian, Russian mafias which work out of London along with the 'families' (Adams', Richardsons etc) - I was at the funeral of Joey Pyle, one of the UKs most infamous gangsters. A good friend of my dads who ive known my whole life was recently arrested with over Ģ100,000 worth of cocaine. He had to put his house as bail. He got away with it because the other people he was with were carrying it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5302984.stm

Its called actors. Typically in American films if they want someone who speaks in an english accent they hire an english actor. Look at the credits of the voice actors for GTA4. There are some very strong foreign names there, im thinking they weren't paid to do American accents.

Thats fair enough but its Rockstar North taking the blatent piss out of your media. They also have taken the blatent piss out of British culture too, probably more so.

I disagree. The Grand Theft Auto series is now considered to be a cash cow. No matter what they make it will sell in the bucket loads. If they consistently fuck up then it will affect sales but making a game set in another country won't affect that. They have built a system and style of gameplay which works and will work every time.
deejay
i have to agree with the main thought but the reasons i'm not sure about, i think that there is no better country in the world that is better to parody, but i would really like to see them take a shot at the Yakuza in Japan or the Triads in Tokyo, come to think of it England was not that bad in the Getaway series and the sense of humor in that game was on point and can see R* improving upon that. but there is no better place for GTA than the US, LETS GO MODERN DAY VICCCCE CIIIIITY!
6 shooter
I don't know about USA, but sure it wouldn't work outside an English speaking country. With all the strife for reflecting reality as closely as possible, it would feel awkward to hear people speak English on the streets of Rome, Moscow or Lima. And we all have grown to enjoy random pedestrian utterances, haven't we? Singled out sentences in foreign languages (with English subtitles) add some spice, but more would spoil the game's atmosphere.

Having said that, I would rejoice if the next GTA was to be set in London again, but for the first time in a 3D environment. Just imagine all those buildings in three dimensional perspective! Another idea would be a three city game in 3 distant agglomerations, between which the player would have to travel by plane. Some foreign cities might work here (Chicago-New Orleans-Bogota or London-Glasgow-Paris).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.