Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wireless Router Help
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
AfonsoAlves
I've got a Netgear wireless-G router linked to my PS3, but it randomly disconnects usually after about 20 mins. So sometimes i just take the power cable out of the back of the router and it will just do the same, connect , work for about 20 mins and disconnect.

Any help appreciated
HB~Sauce
Are you talking about online multiplayer and it kicks you out of a match or it just stops working without any error messages when you are browsing the web/PSN store?

AfonsoAlves
Well i've only ever played COD4 online with it, but when im playing another game not online, i still get the icon in the top right corner saying 'Signed Out'. When it kicks me out of cod matches it will go to a black screen and say ' You must be logged in to play online ' etc.

But i've heard that Netgear routers are shite for online ? What is the best router to buy ?
FrankCastle
Check the netgear support page to see if they have a firmware update for your router.
AfonsoAlves
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ May 31 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]1443556[/snapback]
Check the netgear support page to see if they have a firmware update for your router.

I just looked there and im all upto date ...
-spyder-
You could maybe check out your router settings by typing in your gateway number in Internet explorer, not firefox, as i have a netgear router and it never works right and try looking at different stuff, im not sure what it could be as im not sure about stuff like this and i dont have a ps3 but someone else maybe able to help if there mght be a problem in there
FrankCastle
Do you have a PC that is also connect to that same router? If so, next time you lose the connection on the PS3 you should check to see if the PC connection has also been lost. Even if you're not connecting the PC to your router wirelessly it may still lose the connection if the router is no good.
AfonsoAlves
I've tried that mate, the internet stays on the pc but not on the ps3. I bought a wire today anyways, have yet to try it out like. Maybe it could give me an idea as to whats wrong. It's weird becasue it was working fine yesterday online as well :S
Severus Snape
QUOTE(AfonsoAlves @ Jun 2 2008, 11:40 AM) [snapback]1444097[/snapback]
I've tried that mate, the internet stays on the pc but not on the ps3. I bought a wire today anyways, have yet to try it out like. Maybe it could give me an idea as to whats wrong. It's weird becasue it was working fine yesterday online as well :S

Yeah, good thing you're gonna try hardwiring it. The problem resides in one of 2 places:

1. Your wireless router. I doubt it, but it is entirely possible that your router is the cause. How far away from the router is your PS3? Are there lots of walls and metal objects in between your router and your PS3? Do you ever have wireless connectivity issues with your PC and/or laptop?

2. Your PS3. It is possible that the wireless antenna (or whatever the PS3 has) is faulty and doesn't send/receive a strong enough signal.

Using the wire should give you an idea of where the problem might reside. In the event that you find out it is the router, I suggest buying this one right here. This is the one I use at home, and I have never had a problem with it. Ever.
AfonsoAlves
QUOTE(Leon Kennedy @ Jun 2 2008, 07:47 PM) [snapback]1444125[/snapback]
QUOTE(AfonsoAlves @ Jun 2 2008, 11:40 AM) [snapback]1444097[/snapback]

Yeah, good thing you're gonna try hardwiring it. The problem resides in one of 2 places:

1. Your wireless router. I doubt it, but it is entirely possible that your router is the cause. How far away from the router is your PS3? Are there lots of walls and metal objects in between your router and your PS3? Do you ever have wireless connectivity issues with your PC and/or laptop?

2. Your PS3. It is possible that the wireless antenna (or whatever the PS3 has) is faulty and doesn't send/receive a strong enough signal.

Using the wire should give you an idea of where the problem might reside. In the event that you find out it is the router, I suggest buying this one right here. This is the one I use at home, and I have never had a problem with it. Ever.

I tried the wire yesterday, it was perfect, nothing wrong whatsoever. I can't be sure if it is number one you mention because the router is connected to the pc by a wire, is there anyway i can test that do you know ?. There router is in one room, on top of a desk and higher and furter away than the PC, then a small 2-3 meter passage way and then my room is next to the passage and the ps3 is right next to the door. I keep the pc door open as well so really the two are only about 3 metres away from each other with no metal objects in the way. When i check the network connection it is usually around 65+.

This is the router i've got http://www.netgear.com/Products/Routersand...rs/WGR614L.aspx. Cheers for your help mate.
FrankCastle
There are two ways to find out if the router is bad. Try connecting to it with a different wireless device. If you don't have any other wireless devices available then buy a new router from a reputable store near you. If the new router works, keep it. If it doesn't work, return it and tell them it didn't work. You technically wouldn't be lying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.