Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GTA4 - Your Thoughts
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Important Information > Site News
Pages: 1, 2
Psy
It's been about 3 weeks since Grand Theft Auto IV was released, and in that first week almost every single gamer had the same thoughts on their mind: "This game is the greatest piece of video gaming software ever made!", but we want to know how everyone feels now.

A lot of people have completed the story and a fair few have already achieved 100% completion, so we'd like to hear your own personal opinions now that you've spent countless hours with the game.

Does it still make you wet yourself with excitement when you play it? Are you becoming bored of it? Do various things really piss you off? Does the multiplayer just not appeal to you? Is there enough stuff to do once you've finished the main story? Do you wish something else was in the game? Get it off your chest and post in this topic on our forums so we can find out exactly what GTA fans really think of Grand Theft Auto IV.
Harlequiine
Yeah, the excitement of a new GTA really made everyone think it was better than it actually is.
That been said, it's still arguebly the greatest game ever.

I'm playing it a lot less than in the first week, but every time I do play it, it's still darn fun. I haven't got 100% yet, but I'm enjoying the car hunting & police car missions, and also hunting for secrets and jumps is great fun too.

The internet is great for a laugh, some of the websites are hilarious. TV & comedy clubs etc can be pretty entertaining, but it only lasts until you've seen them all, then there isn't really a point.
I think Rockstar could add a lot more into the game, but it's still certainly a huge game. Don't forget the episodes coming in a few months (hopefully for us PS3 users also).

It'll be interesting to see what someone who has completed it 100% has to say. There isn't a whole lot more to do at 100% than previous GTA's other than going on 6 star police chases and getting the most out of the radio & TV etc - but then again, there aren't many games that have ANYTHING after you've completed it other than multiplayer.
TwoFacedTanner
Im not bored of it yet, but there are a lot of things that irritate me about it that I posted here.
The radio dissapointed me a bit. There for a while, it seemed that I heard the same songs every 10 minutes. I'd look at the handbook and see this list of songs, and I'd say "Well, why havent I heard that one?" its feels like the radio resets its self. Granted now the story is over, I don't seem to have that problem. And also on the radio, I didn't notice till the other day that they had two jazz stations....what the hell? I mean, sure, people listen to Jazz, but I don't think two Jazz stations were necessary. And whats with Tuff Gong? Its all Bob Marley. I mean, I know he has a large fanbase, but was that needed?

On top of that, I feel like there is an insane amount to do. The magazines would list some things, and say that just the tip of the ice berg, when in fact what they listed was just about it. You take you're firends out. You go on dates. You buy hamburgers/hotdogs/nuts, you buy weapons. I'm not a police rampage every 5 minutes kind of guy. And that seems to be the most you can do. San Andreas had tons to do, I could go so long without firing a shot. All day even.
This game has NO taxi missions apart from Roman, but hell that only lasts a short while. But I do say, I like the new vigilante.

Thats about all I have to say. Its 7:15 here, I'm a bit tired and about to have to go to work. So for now, thats all I have to say,
Roman
To make things short and sweet, I have become a bit bored of the game since I completed the story. It is still the only game I play (the only reason I got a NG console for, really...), I think now that I understand multiplayer a bit more and how it works I have started to play that more. I was so used to the CoD multiplayer that the one in GTA pissed me off so bad, but I developed patience for the disconnection problems and such so I am enjoying it more now.
Indy
I havn't played it since completion, doesn't seem to appealing any more. The only fun this is playing online with my mates.
werewolf23
i'm almost done with the story now, but am already kind of bored. too many similar missions, too many times my 'friends' keep calling (geez, can't they ever pick ME up? or pay for once?)... not enough stuff to do, like robberies would be cool. explore the city, and while it looks good, there's just not that much to find. should've had more hidden package-type stuff, at least; then there'd be more reason to explore in the first place. the game is more 'realistic' as far as crash physics and water effects and stuff, but part of the appeal of the older GTA's was the cartoony 'realness' of everything. you could believe in it but it was still kind of unreal as well. i think they should have had more areas where it was difficult for you to get through, also, whether that would be gangs or whatever else. more buildings to go in, also, with more reasons to go into them. more choices of things to do with your so-called friends would be nice, also.

i think they held the game back to get the multiplayer going better, didn't they? that's what their focus was on, more than making it a great single player game. it's a huge city for running around in as far as multiplayer goes; but for those of us who just play single player pretty much, you run out of stuff to do pretty quickly.

does anyone know if the downloadable content will be available on discs like the game itself? is that possible?

hey, it's a good game though. just could've been so much more... maybe GTA 5, or 6, or...

mobe
Surprisingly bored of it already. Thats not to say its a bad game, its amazing on a lot of levels but I've yet to get truly lost in its atmosphere like I did with San Andreas and Vice City. I agree with other posters in that I'm really surprised by how little there is to do outside of the missions. Darts, bowling and pool, I mean come on these are novelty games. I guess R* thought everyone would focus on online playing but the game desperately needs more online players to make it work. 16 at most is no where near enough and quite often you will only end up playing with 4 or 5. In a way it needs fewer online mods but have more of a focus on the games it does have and have greater numbers within them.

Here's my list of likes and dislikes

Attention to detail. Its amazing, the time and effort that R*North have gone to make this a living and breathing city is incredible. There's so many subtleties you keep on noticing.

Art direction and style. Its something that is beyond any game I've ever played. The city is beautiful, flying over it just as the sun is setting or rising is from a visual point of view the best gaming experience I've ever had. And of course that brings in the whole game lighting engine which is as some reviewers have said second to none.

Game physics. The Euphoria engine is fantastic and really adds to the whole experience. A lot of criticism has been made of the driving physics but actually once you get used to it its really well done and I like the fact that R* have placed greater emphasis on the players own innate ability to handle the driving rather than have the game build it up for you through experience points like in San Andreas. The explosions and weapons details are really well done too.

Character detail - I like the fact that Niko is more of a nice guy underneath it all. You almost feel guilty making him car jack others. Its a much needed step in the series I think.

Sound design. Its something that is often over looked but if you pay attention to it its incredible whats going on. Very very clever sound design thats really playing its part in the atmosphere of the game as much as the graphics.

Dislikes

So few explorable interiors. We were told there were going to be loads but there's comparatively few. I really thought R* were going to give us loads of buildings to run around in, sadly not.

Vehicle portfolio. Again there seems to be so little. I thought the next gen GTA was going to have mind boggling amount of cars, bikes and choppers. It seems to be rather bare.

Radio stations. I'm sorry but its here I think R* have really missed the mark. Most of the jokes are utter crap compared to Vice City and San Andreas. Babiesovernight.com - I mean come off it this is supposed to be an adult game and not pandering to the humor of 14 year olds. And the music - well I have 2 thoughts. On the one hand I applaud R* in going for originality over anything else but on the other I think they kind of may have been a bit misdirected. Like the San Andreas sound track there's a lot of good bands on it but for me at least they didn't really pick the best songs by those bands, but thats a taste thing of course. Like someone else said the whole Jazz thing is completely redundant.
R* have yet to come anywhere near beating the Vice City radio stations with either GTAIV or San Andreas. I think Vice City prove that if done well enough less is more for GTA radio.

Thats my major likes and dislikes at this point anyway. It will be interesting to see what R* add to the game via downloadable content. Maybe we'll get loads more vehicles and interiors etc but that just brings into question the whole issue of how much you expect from a game when you spend £50 on it and how much games companies want to make more money from you this generation from DLC.
HB~Sauce
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ May 19 2008, 06:18 AM) [snapback]1438167[/snapback]
Im not bored of it yet, but there are a lot of things that irritate me about it that I posted here.
The radio dissapointed me a bit. There for a while, it seemed that I heard the same songs every 10 minutes. I'd look at the handbook and see this list of songs, and I'd say "Well, why havent I heard that one?" its feels like the radio resets its self. Granted now the story is over, I don't seem to have that problem. And also on the radio, I didn't notice till the other day that they had two jazz stations....what the hell? I mean, sure, people listen to Jazz, but I don't think two Jazz stations were necessary. And whats with Tuff Gong? Its all Bob Marley. I mean, I know he has a large fanbase, but was that needed?

On top of that, I feel like there is an insane amount to do. The magazines would list some things, and say that just the tip of the ice berg, when in fact what they listed was just about it. You take you're firends out. You go on dates. You buy hamburgers/hotdogs/nuts, you buy weapons. I'm not a police rampage every 5 minutes kind of guy. And that seems to be the most you can do. San Andreas had tons to do, I could go so long without firing a shot. All day even.
This game has NO taxi missions apart from Roman, but hell that only lasts a short while. But I do say, I like the new vigilante.

Thats about all I have to say. Its 7:15 here, I'm a bit tired and about to have to go to work. So for now, thats all I have to say,

I agree with alot of what you posted. For the radio, I thought the system that they had adopted in SA was better, where it would change completely (order of songs, talk show programs, etc.) when you unlocked different areas on the map. And, what happened to those people phoneing in for WKTT? did they scrap that or what?

And about the features, San Andreas way more but the polish that GTAIV had was amazing. For the next GTA, I'd like to see a majority of the features in SA to return with the amount of polish IV had.

All in all, I liked the new driving system and physics, and there were the features like the internet and tv that were well done. The story was good, but I thought the ending I got wasn't great. It could've ended a couple missions before.

I don't think its a 10/10, but more 9.7-9.8.

If this is the launching point for the next GTA, I think its going to very good.
GxZ
Honestly, I love it, and I think it's a vastly awesome gaming experience. There's plenty of missions; the new Vigilante and Assassination and Most Wanted missions are awesome, and the plot is dark and sobering. Niko develops a fucking fantastic sense of humour midway through the game and is consistently funny for a while, but it could do with more of his brand of sarcasm at the end of things. Great plot twists in places too; and I like that decisions in the game affect things (more of that please).
I love the added realism, ped behaviours, the interaction between cops and peds, the fact that a cop will pull me off a fence i'm climbing, the fact that I can resist arrest easily, and the fact that I don't lose my weapons when I get wasted. I love that if the cops come along to a firefight between me and some enemies, they spend just as much time dusting off the enemy as they do trying to get me. Enemy/cop AI is awesome, and I really really like the new Wanted system, even though I know a lot of people hate it and find it too easy/hard to escape. To me it's well balanced, and a case of looking at your radar and picking smart routes, then slowing down and camping in a cop-free area just out of the search zone. Just challenging enough.

However, these things disappoint me:

My key complaint:
Is it just me, or is the humour in IV wayyy more chauvinistic than previously? I've always encouraged my chick friends to get into playing GTA, but this time around I feel a little hesitant cos so much of it has a tone of "fuck off and drown before I slit your throat, you lying slut whore".
Hell, I'd even let my younger sisters play San Andreas as long as they got into the story and didn't just drive around mowing down hookers and cops. They loved it, they got into the characters, and their senses of humour and interest in stories and all that kinda stuff noticeably heightened.
This time around... nah. Some of the humour is brilliant, but there's an undertone that's just plain nasty. Lazlow's starting to wear thin for me.

Also not great:
1) Vigilante/Most Wanted/Assassination missions are finite. After you've done them all, the game doesn't invent new random ones for you.
2) No ambo missions - I thought GTA IV might find some pretty intense new ways to portray those. No fire-truck missions - I'd love to see buildings on fire and have the opportunity to save them. Niko only has interesting conversations with Roman's cab drivers and not with the dudes in yellow taxis.
3) I'd like to be able to jack a random car and threaten the driver til they drive me to a location. Would save me getting stuck in stupid locations where cabs refuse to operate.
4) Cab drivers should shoot themselves if they drive into my cars parked outside my safehouse. Also, vehicles shouldn't occasionally randomly disappear from my collection when I go inside to save. Also need more vehicle storage spaces.
5) Lack of effin bikes! Doing the stunt jumps I had to wander for miles searching for an NRG 900. Eventually I found a bike store but that was with 2 jumps remaining.
6) I don't like autosave, though I'm sure most people do. But cos I choose to use the traditional option, I WISH that Niko would go to bed faster. Or at least in different ways instead of the same agonizingly slow way every time.
7) No button-pressing games. I didn't like that dancing was a mandatory mission in San Andreas, but I liked to be able to go to a club and do it. Give me that, and reward me with fancy cars that aren't elsewhere in the game, and I'll be happier.
8) Food restaurants and things aren't nearly as interesting as they were in SA. Counter staff are disappointingly less sarcastic.
9) Can't customize vehicles - weirdly, I never used it in SA, but in IV i'd love to make a few mods.
10) I remember a big deal being made out of the ability to feel the bass pumping in other cars as they drove past me. I *do* hear other radio stations when cars drive past, but I don't feel the ground shaking. Little disappointing.
11) Usual things: lack of countryside, can't pick up anything really worth throwing at someone's head, can't turn GPS off without going to the start menu (especially annoying when trying to laugh at a good Weazel News item then missing the punchline), can't disable certain radio stations, no planes, boats hard to come by unless you dive into the water first, 6-AXIS is a bitch to use (but I'm getting better!), can't hook up with girlfriends or at least hold hands (Bully did this damn well), don't get to see Niko drinking, friends get shitty too easily, only 1 inbuilt video game, no gang warfare.

And one thing I really miss: As much as I praised the darkness and depth of the story, I miss the stupidity and frivolity of SA. There was a sly hilarity to everything about CJ in San Andreas, and the absurd missions with characters like The Truth and Mike Toreno were over-the-top but classic. I'd've loved to see more ridiculous missions scattered amongst the serious in GTA IV... the closest it gets to those is the Florian missions.

Ehh, sorry for the long one. It would seem that I dislike/miss a lot of things, but it's my favourite game (alongside SA, admittedly), and still the only reason I own a PS3, and I'm damn glad I bought it.

Btw, multiplayer is cool if a little hard to get used to for those who aren't hard-core gamers, and the R* Social Club makes killing time online at work the next day fascinating :]

-G
asthenia
QUOTE(GxZ @ May 19 2008, 04:07 PM) [snapback]1438210[/snapback]
Btw, multiplayer is cool if a little hard to get used to for those who aren't hard-core gamers, and the R* Social Club makes killing time online at work the next day fascinating :]

-G

I read your message and agreed with a lot of it, except for a few little bits but then I got to this bit which I myseld disagree with, I've never really been into online gaming until this came along. I put off going on MP for ages, then I finally did it, 1 match later I'd come in 7th out of 11 people (First deathmatch ever!) and I was hooked, next match I came second and the last match I played that day I came 1st, admittedly they weren't the best players on the internet but I had great fun and thats what matters.

I've been doing alot of RP'ing since finishing the storyline on IV, I miss a few things. If a countryside was implemented again we'd need animals though, so I don't miss that or the desert, just dead space. But me own little 'stories' have kept me going so far and I'm far from bored.
Roman
I hate to see a topic filled with negativity. As much as I agree with a lot of you people's comments, I would also think it would be a good idea to list all the amazing things about the game. Not really anything that is new or dramatically different maybe, but also things that no other game/company has done better then GTA.

For example:
-Euphoria. No game has made gunfights, crashes into peds, falling from heights more fun then GTA IV. Euphoria is the future for gaming, and we have seen just how brilliant it looks on a game like GTA. (imagine this technology in sports games) Sometimes I drop grenades under my feet just for the hell of it to see where I land. Also, get to a real high altitude in a heli and jump out. One time, I jumped out in Algonquin and on the way down I hit several flag poles, a small wall and a bench.

-Taxis (when they are not running you over/into your saved cars). Imagine how annoying GTA would be without Taxis. You are in Alderney looking for flying rats, when all of the sudden Roman wants to go bowling in Dukes. The taxi gets you there in 10 seconds. This is one of the most useful yet simple features in GTA IV.

-Cell phone. You no longer have to start all missions by driving across the city, and even if you do, you can call Roman to send a cab for you. Want to race with Brucie? Don't need to go to his house, just call him up. While the cell phone is not really revolutionary and does have some flaws, it is still a very important addition to game.

-Quick load. I expected the load time for this game to be super long. It is a lot shorter then I expected and also has good music in the background.

-The internet, TV, comedy clubs etc. GTA IV does a great job of bringing the city to life with it's entertainment. My favourite of this list is the comedy club. Even if you are watching a repeat performance, it is still entertaining if you aren't in a hurry to do something else.

-Drunk driving/getting drunk. While drunk driving is a bit over exaggerated with Niko swerving all over the road, it is still fun, and so is walking around town drunk. I am sure a lot of fans would agree that this is a fun mini game that keeps bringing you back every once in a while, as you always see something new with the Euphoria physics.

I got more, I am just too lazy/don't really care at the moment to list them.
neko_ceko
Well I'm gonna buy Xbox360 in like two weeks, so I didn't played it yet. But I KNOW it rules.
IV...Whudyadoooooooooooon?
Hype.
This game was hyped up so much, it ALMOST ruined the experience for me.
It is bad ass, but geez....I was acting like a fuckin' crack fiend waiting for
a new screenshot.
Seriously....I would jones' for any new piece of information.
I just kinda feel jipped.
When 3 came out, it was a massive transformation.... BUT
they did'nt omit a bunch of stuff to make it in dazzling 3D.
So, you got the old game, PLUS a whole new experience.
Now with 4, it's like...3 with better physics/graphics.....
And without all the cool shit that made you go WOW in San Andreas.
Now we'll be waiting even longer for 5 or Vice City or whatever comes next.
Plus, I gotta admit.....It's going to be hard to keep this series up.
It's just so hard to do it again, after you've blown your load 2-3 times.
Know what I mean?
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(Asthenia @ May 19 2008, 10:53 AM) [snapback]1438230[/snapback]
I've been doing alot of RP'ing since finishing the storyline on IV.

I do that too, it makes the game more enjoyable.
There is just so much that irritates me.
Its a great game and all, but damn.

Most of the stuff we got excited about was just part of missions.
I don't know if I want to listen to gaming mags/sites anymore.

Oh and one other thing...Did anyone else feel like all of the characters were minor? VERY minor?
I mean you seemed to not do more than five missions for each. I really liked Phil Bell...but you didn't really talk to him much. Was kind of depressing. And Elizabeta, she was cool, but before you could even get to know her she was in Jail.
Rayniac
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ May 19 2008, 06:04 PM) [snapback]1438315[/snapback]
QUOTE(Asthenia @ May 19 2008, 10:53 AM) [snapback]1438230[/snapback]
I've been doing alot of RP'ing since finishing the storyline on IV.

I do that too, it makes the game more enjoyable.
There is just so much that irritates me.
Its a great game and all, but damn.

Most of the stuff we got excited about was just part of missions.
I don't know if I want to listen to gaming mags/sites anymore.

Oh and one other thing...Did anyone else feel like all of the characters were minor? VERY minor?
I mean you seemed to not do more than five missions for each. I really liked Phil Bell...but you didn't really talk to him much. Was kind of depressing. And Elizabeta, she was cool, but before you could even get to know her she was in Jail.

Yep, thought that was a bit sad too. And indeed, most of what we heard and got a kick from, were minor mission mechanisms... (Which I was afraid of)

Anyway, I do think this is one badass mofo of a game as I never doubted and since I finished the story last night, I'm starting the multiplayer side of it.

One thing that bothers me though, is that they still don't put enough stuff in there. Ofcourse they have the upper hand looking at other games, but Rockstar is known to own them all and add another 100% on top.
With IV, you have your sidemissions (ped missions is a great add), pigeons and stuff, but they could have added so much more. Like what's the deal with those 2 gigantic golfcourses (miniature and driving range), they looked so detailed when I first walked by that it got my hopes up and it never got used... Also, where is Bledar Molina in the game? (maybe he's just a ped, in which case I take back my words)
And when looking at the trailers, they have apparently cut so many things from the game... (e.g. the girl that says 'please, no more killing' in the 2nd trailer?)

BUT, this is a review thread, so I started with my list of flaws, but 99% of the game is just mindblowing! The story is definately unprecedented and the choice system works like a charm!

Enough babbling, back to the pigeon hunting...
TwoFacedTanner
Bledar is one of the Albanians picking on Roman at the beginning of the game. And that lady says "Please, no more killing!" when you see her on the Hove Beach boardwalk(Shes a random ped).
Rayniac
Ah ok, thanks! I take that back then :-) Does she appear only once?
Seeen
QUOTE(Rayniac @ May 19 2008, 03:53 PM) [snapback]1438479[/snapback]
Ah ok, thanks! I take that back then :-) Does she appear only once?

Yeah, I think so. Her name is Ileyna Faustin
GreenStreetElite
i totally agree with pretty much everything said. to add to all your points...

1. maybe a tad too realistic?

i mean the graphics and physics are amazing but shit....some of it is tooo far. being able to get run over??? did R* think we would think "yaay! i can get run over...this games sooo good!" its only a small bit but still...it really annoys me when i need my health.

2. missions all the same?

did you ever realise apart from it being so easy...that the missions went "wack this guy....this guy owes me money, so wack him....chase afte this guy and kill him" tho towards the end of the game it became "they'll be alot of guys around...so wack all of em to get to so and so" and THAT WAS IT! i still get feelings the same as how i felt wen i first started playing and i thought there wud just be 'more to it all' than there was.

3. CUSTOMIZATION!!!

this reallllllllly annoyed me and took so much away from the feel of the game. in SA...being able to do everything to your car and clothes and stuff really kept me entertained til the end when i stopped playing only last year! this time theres only 3 shops which sell pretty much all shit clothes bar a couple of nice additions.

4. no "wasteland"

as much as R* wanted no "wasted space" i never looked at the countryside or desert as wasted space ever. i really enjoyed exploring it and driving round it all wrecklessly. it also set the scene for sum amazing missions. just having one city where it looks pretty much all the same throughout can get boring.

5. nothing actually happens in the storyline (SPOILERS)

did you ever notice....you find out about this one guy you need to find....you find him...either kill him or dont....then ****** gets killed....so you kill the guy that killed her/him and thats it? thats all i remember from it....at the start when roman and niko talk about the mansion and girls and jacuzzi etc....i was waiting for that but you never ever get it. you arent even given the chance to buy a mansion? or even a proper house? only apartments. im pretty sure my ten million dollars cud buy me a nicer place??

6. subway?

does anyone actually use these??? i dont know where they go...they never turn up quick enough and there are much faster modes of transport.

im not saying i hate the game....i love it but thats obvious because no1s going to out-right hate it. but these things do come up often....i still play it mind you, its the first GTA ive ever completed so im gonna have another crack at SA...i cudnt beat "lifes a beach" tongue.gif
jsun126
hello new to the forum thing...just like everyone else i highly anticipated this game, its the main reason i bought a 360...its absolutely the best game i've ever played...nothing really upsets me about it, just a few things that are a little disappointing...

--way less interiors than i thought there would be
--cops seem to appear from nowhere, can't even shoot a flying rat w/o getting a wanted level
--doesnt make sense that LCPD cars are patrolling alderney....isnt this a different state? shouldn't it be alderney state police or something? This is probably the most annoying thing for me
--this is a minor one: every cop car in the city seems to be from the 24th precinct, most ppl wont care but i guess i just tend to notice little things like that, woulda been cool for each police station to have its own pct #, couldve incorporated that into the vigilante missions somehow
Amis
It is really brilliant! I can play this for years to come. Until next GTA and over. This game and game series is a classic.

I have only completed it once, now I'm heading for 100%. When I first had an ingame race I thought "maybe I can handle the cars online too, and I did". The multiplayer kicks ass.

If I have to give the good and the bad:

+ story as always
+ cool characters
+ euphoria engine
+ details of everything
+ better AI
+ multiplayer
+ more realistic

- there isn't anything to complain about this game really.

Score: 10+ A+ 100/100.
Guido The Butcher
I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who is bored with the game. I'm at 71% but I really am incredibly bored and disappointed. As a huge fan of Vice City and San Andreas I was very willing to drop 500 bucks on a new system for game that would be a quantum leap from the San Andreas experience. Well the reality is I feel scammed.
Where is the rock. Vice City rocked and was funny. San Andreas rocked in an epic way and was very funny. Liberty City radio scores a ZERO in music for me and not funny at all. If this is a contemporary setting where is Rise Against, Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Seether, Staind, Korn? I think this was a low budget cash cow for Take Two and RockStar.
I completed Vice City 5 times, then achieved 100% in San Andreas 17 times. I was almost through the 18th when GTA4 was released. I know that sounds psychotic but I never got bored with San Andreas. There were so many things to do. People would say " you should check out this other game" and I would reply there is only one game. The amazing thing was that after 1000 hours of playing I would still occasionally hear a pedestrian or a cop say something I had never heard. So much dialogue, so many characters, so many varied activities and environments.
GTA 4 ranks far behind San Andreas and Vice City in content and enjoyment . They downgraded the driving by making almost every vehicle handle like it has bald tires on an icy road. I know "slow down, don't touch the hand brake and don't touch the accelerator in the turn" suck the fun out of it. An the motorcycles sound like old sewing machines and the handling is just absurd. Where is the roar of the FCR 900. This game is a downgrade from the San Andreas experience.
-IXION-
I want to say first that the game is awsome... best game i've played so far... but, I agree with quite a bit of what you peoples are saying.... except for example anything like "that's too realistic" ... realistic as in physics, graphics, cars sometimes hitting you when you run out in front of them ;^P ... that's all good realism that makes the world more believable and more fun.

Here are some of my 'problems' with the game:

not enough variety in mission types. ...I LOVED that mission in SA where ya sneak onto that aircraft carrier and steal the Hydra then dogfight some jets that come after ya... etc. ...and oh yeah.. wish there was Stealth in the game... silencers for weapons etc... then maybe the cops wont come when you fire a gun unless they can see ya... or you could possibly clear a building without alerting the rest of the enemies in the building before you get to them.

wish there was a countryside... a countryside is NOT wasted space as long as it isn't a total wasteland, and it wasn't a waste in SA. ... it also adds more of a feeling to the city knowing that you can leave that setting and go off into the woods. nice contrast. ... a countryside would feel 10 times better now with the much improved graphics too.

wish there were more missions and story with certain characters... some were outta the game a little quick.

would like car customization..

More Character customization.. at least in outfits... and definately more Character customization for MP (I seem to just be getting re-colours of the same winter jackets when I lvl up.. .. I'd like to be able to wear a lot of the clothes I see the peds wearing.. i gots ta have me some hot clothes)

I think it'd be cool if they eventually had a female lead in a GTA :^) ... not saying I didn't like Niko though lol.

need to be able to play bowling etc.. with people in freemode MP... right now it seems most people are pretty much just using freemode as an infinite deathmatch.... so more to do like in SP would be good... would also be cool if you could get drunk in freemode at the bars... and also in SP if you could do that when by yourself so that you don't always have to be on a date with someone when you want to get drunk.

wish I could buy houses ... the apartments are done well... and I love how you can actually watch TV in them... but, i'd be cool if i could buy a bigger house with a nice interior and a garage that can hold more than two cars.

the guns on the annihilator helicopter look and sound awsome... but they're too freakin' weak.. and hard to hit anything with them... I'm quite good at aiming with them... but, it's still fucking hard to kill anything... and i've fired constantly at vehicles for a long time and didn't notice that i was doing any real damage to the vehicle... i think you should be able to destroy a car or something pretty fast with that helicopter ... especially if it's going to be that hard to hit anything.... seems like it isn't even a one shot kill when hitting people either... craziness.... hitting a person should cause them to explode into meat chunks. .... and oh yeah.. where's the dismemberment in the game lol.

would like to have more vehicles like in SA... you know what i'm talking about... jets, Hydra, Hunter, hovercraft, i liked the jetpack ... umm yeah .. etc.. etc.. ..There's some nice vehicles in the game for sure though.. the Murcielago/Zonda look for the Infernus was cool ... and i really recognize some of the other cars more than i did in past GTA's ..... but where's the Cheetah lol... maybe make it like a Gallardo err something. ..... oh, and jetskis would be awsome to have too... like water motorcycles :^)

wish there was a first person view option in the game at least when driving a vehicle... the "hood" view is great and i'm glad they've put that in... it's not just a floating camera view anymore..... but,.... damn when you get that awsome first person view when taking a helitour ... grrrr... i want to be able to fly myself with that view.... feels so much more like you're in a helicopter. .... the Squalo boat's "hood" view (i think it's the Squalo i'm thinking of) looks pretty much like a first person view as the camera sits behind the dash... it's fun driving that boat with that view. ....in Test Drive Unlimited I use first person view 99% of the time... and I won't even take a look at a racing game now unless it has first person view as an option.... so yeah... i think it'd be wicked if that was an option in GTA... and of course I don't expect the interiors of every vehicle to be as high res/detailed as they are in certain racing games... the interiors as they are now would be fine with me :^)

Do you get any rewards other than some shitty gamerpoints for completing all the unique jumps or the pigeons etc.. ?
That's something I don't like about these achievements on xbox... it seems that they're taking the place of in-game rewards in games now... and I don't give a shit about my gamerscore.... i'd like to be able to unlock some cool things to play with.

anywayzz.. there's more I could come up with.... but again.. this game is awsome, and i'm just writting down things that I wish it had in it so that the game would be so fucking incredibly awsome/perfect that I could have an orgasim just by playing it lol.

QUOTE(Guido The Butcher @ May 20 2008, 04:04 AM) [snapback]1438581[/snapback]
They downgraded the driving by making almost every vehicle handle like it has bald tires on an icy road. I know "slow down, don't touch the hand brake and don't touch the accelerator in the turn" suck the fun out of it. An the motorcycles sound like old sewing machines and the handling is just absurd. Where is the roar of the FCR 900. This game is a downgrade from the San Andreas experience.

I really disagree with this part.... I use the handbrake a lot... I can drive just fine ... I think the handling on vehicles is really good.. and if anything should be more realistic... certainly not made easier or more fake. The driving in Saint's Row for example was realllly fake and easy and soooo boring.... couldn't drift. I do wish the cars could turn while holding the regular brake though (left trigger)

I think that most of the engine sounds are quite good.. one thing i've noticed though... to me there's not enough variety in car engine sounds... i tried driving the Comet, then the Banshee, then the Infernus.... to me they all pretty much sounded the same.
grimace619
over hyped.
no one uses subways/trains.
lack of legends on map.
missions get repetitive.
customization, lack of hair, clothes, cars.
50% of radio is great
50% is pretty weird
Liberty City is OK, but Vice would have been gold.

But this game still is one of the best ever, got me addicted and has too many likeable characters.
Sadly i think R* downgraded from the gameplay of San An, but upgraded on the Features and Visuals.

but you never know DLC might make this game 10x better biggrin.gif
aussie_b8ler
this game was exactly the same as "assasin's creed" for me.
  1. i waited and waited as all the hype built up.
  2. i convinced my self that this game would be the best i have ever played.
  3. i preordered it and even took a few days off school to play it.
  4. and it was a really interesting and fun game.....................for about a week.
  5. then it got old and now i don't play it.

now for this process to begin again for MGS4. only i hope that 4 and 5 don't happen.
GxZ
Agree with all of that, IXION.

I'm having trouble understanding how people are struggling with driving and cops being too easy/hard to evade. I hated the new driving controls (PS3) to start with but now I love them and wanna use them in SA, but that was my only struggle - the handbrake and everything work just fine - I wonder if people aren't aware that the controls are analogue & therefore pressure-sensitive, so they're just mashing them instead of pressing them down a little?

And getting away from cops is a nice balance of smarts and luck - watching the radar to see where new cops appear and taking as many evasive turns as possible without turning towards a cop marker is a good challenge.

Agree about a female lead in a future GTA - or at least some more strong female characters. Kendal (sp?) was awesome in San Andreas, and some of the g/fs in SA were tough as nails though I admit the SA dating didn't really float my boat. In IV, even Michelle almost entirely drops out of the storyline as soon as the big reveal is made, and yet she could've been used way more effectively after that point.

Like I said earlier, maybe I'm losing it or suddenly over-sensitive or not recognizing good parody, but I felt a real anti-female bitterness behind this GTA; other than Niko's attachment to Kate which was somewhat redeeming & affectionate. But I don't feel comfortable encouraging my gf or chick friends to pick up the controller on this one, whereas San Andreas had a far more chilled atmosphere about it.

Having said that, props to R* for not taking too many jabs at Bernie's flamboyant homosexuality. They worked that plot in nicely, with no ill-spiritedness. I guess I'm just surprised they couldn't do the same justice to a female perspective.

Case in point (*SPOILERS*): having to send Niko (who seemed like a good-natured guy underneath that rough exterior) to [spoiler]kidnap some chick (who was admittedly a spoilt skank, but was nice and friendly in conversation and nothing like the selfish "two-bit slut" that Packie described her as), and then slap her about and patronize while she was in distress just to take a lame photo of her.[/spoiler]
Wtf? Did I miss some clever Paris-Hilton social commentary there or was that as bare-faced nasty and dirty as it felt?

Maybe that seems hypocritical, seeing as I'm all for butchering and exploding random peds and cops and assholes, but until then I don't think GTA's ever made me get to know someone who's clearly innocent and naive, and then do shitty things to them. There were other points in the game that left a sour taste in my mouth, like having to make difficult decisions (poor Dwayne), and I think it was awesome and brave of Rockstar to force us to engage in that realism, but that particular series of missions gave me (and Niko) no choice... and no real motivation for being such a dick.

Thoughts?

-G
Banjaxed
The only way I can really put my view across is if I compare GTAIV to Casino Royale the rest of the James Bond Series.

First impressions were awesome. There are alot of things to love about GTAIV. Just like with what they did with Casino Royale, they made it more realistic and more gritty. While this is all good, I can't help but miss the humor and the brightness of the previous GTA worlds. Before Casino Royale, the Bond films were so bright, over the top and often memorable and funny, juts like San Andreas, Vice City etc.

I'm not saying that I don't like GTAIV. It is an amazing game, maybe on the the greatest of all time, but after only a week of playing, I found myself bored with nothing to do on the game. I just feel San Andreas had a lot more features and things to do after the story.
Qdeathstar
I didn't think the missions were exactly alike.. i mean, how can you say that the Holland Play and Tunnel of Death are the same mission.

Anyone who has spend any time on GTA4.tv or other Fan sites in the past year knows that the community had been eager to get its hands on GTA 4 since it had been announced in the month of April 2006.

Last fall many of us were counting the days till October when we would finally have the game in our hands. However, we would soon find out that our date with Grand Theft Auto would be delayed by a full six months.

The news dried up, the cake was a lie, and we were left with nothing to do but wait until a new release date would be announced. To tide ourselves over we created little contests guessing when the new release date would be announced.

However, Rockstar put all those questions to rest when they announced that the game would be launching world wide on April 29th 2008. Finally we had, yet again, a date!

On April 29th, 2008 Grand Theft Auto Four was released. Oh what a wait. Two years of checking every day to find the smallest morsel of detail. Two years of ever-building hype and arguments over which console would get the better end of the stick.

Two years of waiting.

Finally. My version of the game, the PS3 version, was sitting on the kitchen counter in a brown bag, a fresh from the ups truck smell still hung too it as I casually reached out to grab it. At first I thought it was going to be tricky to get the package open, but lucky someone had already done the deed for me. I slipped the game out and oooooh shiny! What a beautiful cover. I'd seen the cover unveiling before so there was really no use in staring at it much longer, so I turned it around and glanced at the back.

I'm not much of a reader, I don't guess, because I was quickly heading towards my room where my PS3 was. Although Iím quite embarrassed to admit to it, I didn't even read the documentation that game with the game. In fact, its still there in the box waiting to be read Instead, I chose to jump strait to the game.

After inserting the disk I waited for my PS3 to recognize the disk. About 2 seconds later the ps3 obliged and I was greeted with Lola sucking her lollypop and some music playing in the background.

Time to press the X button. So I did, and then went to use the restroom, as I heard there was some sort of install process I would have to go through. After taking care of my business I went back and found out that I had to press the X button to begin the install! Sigh! So I obliged and was met with some of the most boring, sullen music Iíve ever seen in a game. I mean, come on. I know its depressing that I have to wait five minutes before I can play the game, but aren't you people supposed to make the time go by faster. I think R* should have used that nice Russian rap stuff from Trailer 2.

Anyway, so finally I can play. WTF. Fucking blurry shit. Is my screen set up right? Meh... I'm off to play poker. Yep. That was my first GTA4 experience. I had only played it for a half and hour and already I had had enough of it.

However, the entire time I was playing poker, I couldn't help but think I was missing something. How could a game I wanted for so long be so disappointing? Then I figured it out. Sitting a foot away from a 32" screen isn't the smartest thing you can do.

Once I got home I made a promise to myself that I would sit a full three feet back and see how the game looked then. The game still wasn't perfect, but it was better than before. I started playing the game and finally got into the game play aspect of the game.

I was taking my girl friend out to date, drinking with my cousin, and talking it up with drug users on the streets. Hell, one of them even gave me 100 bucks because I was an immigrant. I spend 5 of that on a carwash, and 5 more on some supper at the good ole' cluckin bell. Then I stole a car and in my rush to get away from the cops slammed into a poll, flew through the window, rolled down some stares, over a short rail and into the water. Woops. And wholly shit.

You cannot play GTA 4 for one hour and decide the quality of the game. The game is so detailed and there is so much to see and do an hour just isn't enough time. The cabaret shows are amazingly funny, and drunken driving feels surprisingly realistic. Everything fits together perfectly. Leaves fill the cutters after it rains and wind has an effect on things. The city feels alive.

While the missions thus far have been the same old GTA style, they are still top-notch, and the story is very well told. I really appreciate the "every action has a consequence" theme that underlies GTA4's storyline.

The first several hours of GTA4 game play are bound to be problematic and disappointing. At least they were for me. But, if you push through, the game play and graphics get better and better. I really have started to appreciate the "blur" effect. It makes the cityscape look more realistic, I think, if you consider haze and smog that would exist in a city. The number of pedestrians and cars on the streets is amazing, and it really feels like they got the number of them "just right". There are traffic jams where there should be, but you can still get though them if need be.

The reviewers were right. This game is truly awe-inspiring. I find my self sitting at a red light having a flash back of when I was playing GTA4 wishing that I could just run right through it and on to my destination, where Grand Theft Auto is waiting!
werewolf23
before the game was released, in all the hype leading up to it, the Housers were talking it up saying it was gonna be about the verticalness of the city, lots of interiors and tons and tons of stuff to do. no parachutes? hardly any buildings to go into? when you do find a ladder somewhere to climb, and then get up to the rooftops, there's rarely anything there. so why explore? are they saving stuff for the dlc, then? even though we've heard that won't really add all that much in playing time, hours wise. seems as if we've all been tricked again and rockstar has made hundreds of millions more. the game is alright, but yeah, not really as good as any of the first three (on ps2 that is). it's like if San Andreas had only been the first city... what really opened up that game was the countryside stuff, then another city, then the desert and airplane stuff, then another city... then back to the first city. and there was really a LOT of varied stuff to do there, as well; side missions, driving schools, gangs that hated you, stuff to search for, robberies, kung fu moves... that game was Epic! probably the best game out there, still. GTA3 was better than GTA4, more exciting, more gritty, better and more varied missions... hopefully rockstar will read some of these comments and realize that, despite all the $$$ they're making now, they dropped the ball on this newest game. it just feels empty for the most part. if there was wind in the game we'd hear it whistling down all those empty alleyways and past the thousands of buildings we can't do anything but pass by.

and yeah, a female lead would be great! or an asian guy, or someone younger who grows up during the course of the story, with time going by more in years than in days... it could be done. then there'd be more reason to replay it, or to continue with your earlier game. you know? as it is--- i gotta look around now for pigeons? and that's it?? what about running buisnesses, or having guys that work for me running jobs and stuff? that's what was cool about a game like 'scarface'--- not only could you call for rides and guns and stuff, you could become someone else for awhile and go do jobs for the Boss, make him some money... do something different now and then. take over neighborhoods, all that stuff.

whatever. i'll still play this sometimes, try to get the 100% eventually when i need something to do. but yeah, a lot of people probably went out and got 360's or ps3's just to play this game--- just like when we got psp's to play the 'psp-exclusive' liberty city stories... which then came out on ps2. then VCS was supposed to be a 'psp exclusive', as well... you get the idea.

the whole open-world thing could really be incredible. maybe someone will have real imagination and guts sometime to do it well.
I Made Your Mom In GMod
I agree mostly with what GxZ said, with a few additions.

It's probably my fault, because I followed every detail of the hype and I now notice how much of it is missing from the final game. It sort of ruined it for me as well, it just didn't lead up to my expectations, which weren't really that much to begin with. San Andreas was fun because, well, it featured some incredibly wacky stuff all packed into an extremely diverse set of environments. Grand Theft Auto IV simply repeats the tired old GTA formula in the same tired old city and brings nothing other than a few gimmicks, such as the phone and ragdoll physics to the table.

Playing GTA IV for the first time I couldn't honestly believe how much better Reflections, and indeed Luxoflux did New York a couple of years back, and much sooner. It's like playing that again with a load of shaders and next-gen paint, as if Rockstar had been planning it, and were beaten to the mark by the other two and stole a load of their visual design and ideas as revenge.
Yes, New York is New York and it would probably look similar no matter who did it at what stage, but it's been done before and done better, considering the hardware of the time. Perhaps not gameplay-wise, but certainly everything else-wise.

Gameplay wise, ehhh... it's a typical shooter. Nowhere near as fun as Crackdown, but not as realistic as Rainbow Six Vegas. It strikes (for me at least) a somewhat unhappy midpoint between the two. The cover system is pretty sluggish, albeit easy to use and quite robust, the vehicles handle like real cars (which isn't what you play games to experience) and (I'm not alone when I say this) the radio stations are 95% utter crap. I've found perhaps five or six songs I enjoy listening to, and my tastes are by no means fussy, I'll listen to absolutely anything. Also, mostly because of the stupid monochrome radio station logos, I still have no fricking idea what three or four of the radio stations are actually supposed to be playing, genre-wise.
I also think GTA's humour isn't anywhere near as funny as it used to be, although this is probably me.

It's also packed with totally unlikeable characters. Niko is alright because he's a bit more human than the rest, but Roman is a prick with a mouth that will get him killed one day, by me. Brucie is the most annoying person ever conceived. Michelle and Kate [spoiler]die anyway so they're unimportant[/spoiler]. I'm inclined to like Packie but only because [spoiler]I murdered most of his family[/spoiler], although he is also a gobby prick. Little Jacob is utterly unintelligible most of the time, even with subtitles on. Dwayne I'm inclined to like, but only because I sort of feel sorry for him.
Whether it's because Rockstar wanted to try and reflect the utter bastard that is the typical New Yorker, or whether, as Yahtzee said, they're trying to take a turn at the corner of Gritty and Realism, they're all totally unlikeable and 'ugly' characters. Aside from Jacob, who despite his accent is actually pretty nice, perhaps because of his spartan use of profanity.

D-O's point in the GTA4 discussion section about the vehicle audio isn't unjustified either, most of the vehicles really do sound like lawnmowers. City ambience is the same; Dan (or Sam) Houser's comments shortly before release about being able to stand in one neighborhood and listen and instantly tell where you are in the city also turned out to be bollocks. As far as I can tell the entire city uses exactly the same ambient drone, mixed only with intermittent police sirens, which presumably vary in frequency by district. So unless he's talking about this he's off his cake.

The multiplayer I haven't tried yet because I've only just completed the storyline (taking it slowly) and I want to 100% it before I jump online. Hence all the invite rejections (sorry D-O).

BUT. And this is a big but. Despite all my nitpicky bitching it's the only game in the world that manages to pull off a mix of almost every genre successfully, as have all past GTA games. It by no means does any of them well, which you can't really blame it for. It's just that, given the hype and utterly stupid review scores it's been getting, you'd think it would somewhat live up to everyone's expectations. It certainly hasn't for me. I echo what I said above; 'IV simply repeats the tired old GTA formula in the same tired old city and brings nothing other than a few gimmicks'. So excellent, but not great. And no, that's not a typo.

Try a bit harder Rockstar.
reform
I will try to keep this simple.

>Bring back the army at the highest wanted level.

>Bring back hollywood handling. it may be unrealistic but it's fun.

>Drop friends and girlfriends. It's boring and just a chore. scrap relationships alltogether.

>Radio was way too hit & miss.

>"garage glitch" still exists. fix it. sucks when one-time-only vehicles vannish.

>bring back clear and obvious gangs and the gangwars mechanic.

>when falling from very very high, i should splat and not bounce.

>any mechanics that appear in missions should be usable in normal play.

>getting run over everytime i cross a road is a bit much.

>bring back a bigger variety of clothes like SA.

>bring back big open spaces, but have something there.

>bring back high-vis subway entrances like with gta3

>make it a little harder (take a little longer) to attain the first star of a wanted level.

>upon copleting a mission chain, let those missions be replayable, if only for fun. every mission of every type should be replayable.

>bring back stealth, like the silencers and knife mechanics from SA, and hiding in shadows.

>when you do not have a wanted level and you go for a respray, give us a color choice.

>bring back exploding people when they get exploded. I want to see limbs flying.

>a small reward for everything (like the hunter for the pigeions) that adds up to 100%, and then better rewards for 100%

>let me walk onto trains/busses etc. myself and walk about inside them

>If it moves, I should be able to destroy it.

>If it drives, I should be able to drive it.

>lamp posts and other big metal things can be knocked down easily even on a bike, yet if i hit a tiny tree with a huge truck at full speed, the tree wins.

>more variation of all vehicle types except maybe boats. too many cars are similar, i want monstertrucks and stuff back.

>things on vehicles should work. like vehicle transporters, forklifts, or whatever. it should all work.

Aside from that the game is perfect.
Jeff Threat
I don't play the game as much anymore. its still an amazing game though
mobe
QUOTE(GxZ @ May 20 2008, 11:28 AM) [snapback]1438657[/snapback]
Like I said earlier, maybe I'm losing it or suddenly over-sensitive or not recognizing good parody, but I felt a real anti-female bitterness behind this GTA; other than Niko's attachment to Kate which was somewhat redeeming & affectionate. But I don't feel comfortable encouraging my gf or chick friends to pick up the controller on this one, whereas San Andreas had a far more chilled atmosphere about it.

Its funny you should point that out actually because that's something thats gone through my mind a lot too when playing the game . There is a less than pleasant and at times down right sexist overtone to a few things in the game but mostly the less than witty or clever radio station jokes, and i wouldn't describe myself as particulalry overly sensitive person when it comes to my sense of humor.
Its a weird a hugely bad decision by R* to go down that road because on the one hand they're trying to take the game in a a more mature and sophisticated direction whilst on the other they're jokes are obviously being written by or aimed at prepubescent teenagers. Its an odd mix that doesn't work at all.

It'll be very very interesting to see where R* take GTA from here. Personally I think they've got a real problem because GTAIV has proved R* have become complacent with the franchise, its almost like they've got the coolest video game in the world and don't they just know it. I'll stop short of saying they're not trying with the game because on a lot of levels they are trying but they're all technical achievements they've made with the GTAIV rather than actual game play ones. So much of the game play seems a step backwards even with the increased detail and realism. Like pretty much everyone here I would say some of the out right fun has been taken out of GTA leaving it slightly soulless compared to the last trilogy.

It'll be interesting to see where they set the next GTA because GTAIV also proves they've milked the whole lets take the piss out of US culture thing completely dry. The whole thing feels stale.

So in the end I'll applaud what R* have achieved technically with the game but if they want GTA to truly compete with the movies as an artistic experience, as the Houser's have claimed they want it to do, then its got a long, long way to go yet.
ViceMan
If you think of GTA IV as a sucessor to San Andreas, it does seem to be lacking in certain areas. But you just have to remember that this is the first step on a new ladder, a new engine, all new coding to be written. We should be comparing IV to III, as they are both the first games on their relevant platform. I am more than pleased with the game since I know what R* are capable of.
-IXION-
QUOTE(reform @ May 20 2008, 05:34 PM) [snapback]1438814[/snapback]
I will try to keep this simple.

>Bring back hollywood handling. it may be unrealistic but it's fun.

>Drop friends and girlfriends. It's boring and just a chore. scrap relationships alltogether.

>getting run over everytime i cross a road is a bit much.

I disagree with these points...

I like the driving the way it is now... it's realistic enough. I would find it soo boring driving a vehicle that can stop and turn on a dime etc... etc. (unless it's supposed to be some super vehicle) ... if you're going fast ... even not so fast... it should take some time to come to a stop... and cars should be able to slide ... you should be able to overturn and spin the car around when trying to drift around corners etc.. ... if you've gotten good at racing in Test Drive Unlimited without driving aid on... the driving in GTAIV would seem pretty easy to you... Hey, maybe they could possibly do what TDU did with allowing the player to set how realistic the driving is... in TDU you could have the driving aid set to off .. or sort of medium.. or full. That way a lot more people would be happy. ...anyways.. i'm definitely not the only one who likes more realistic driving.

Friends etc.. are good. Yes, sometimes it's annoying... but i'm still glad it's there.... and you aren't forced to spend time with any of them.... so just ignore them if you don't want to see them. Maybe they could put in an option so you can make it so that they don't even call you, for the people who are annoyed with that.

Crossing the road... look both ways lol... be more careful... for me, this sort of realism adds more fun... it's a more believable world. ...and aren't there working crosswalks in the game? ... I usually just run across the road whenever i want anyway... sometimes I get hit... i'm glad that can happen.

anyways... I agree with the other points you made ... and some I reallly agree with.
GxZ
I agree with all your points, reform, except the ones IXION pointed out; as I said earlier I think the driving is fine the way it is (if anything I find it easier and more sensible than SA), and friends/girlfriends is fine because some of the most interesting conversations in the game come thru them; i'd like to see the feature that makes them get all pissy and insulted when i don't wanna do stuff with them removed though - if i had friends like that in real life i'd be happier without them. getting run over's alright; just makes me a little more cautious, and makes running across the road a little more risky when the cops are after ya. I'd like to see some smarts built in so that niko could slide across car bonnets and things sometimes rather than getting plowed every time. that would look awesome.

I'm kind of intrigued to hear Psy's opinion... seeing as all but one question in his initial post was negative:

QUOTE(Psy @ May 19 2008, 11:48 PM) [snapback]1438159[/snapback]
Are you becoming bored of it? Do various things really piss you off? Does the multiplayer just not appeal to you? Is there enough stuff to do once you've finished the main story? Do you wish something else was in the game? Get it off your chest...

But yes, GTA IV does still make me moist.

-G
Fugitive
The graphics are great, but I'm becoming very bored, it's just the same shit over and over again... sad.gif(

The game is missing something!!

The Last Sunset
QUOTE(Psy @ May 19 2008, 07:48 AM) [snapback]1438159[/snapback]
It's been about 3 weeks since Grand Theft Auto IV was released, and in that first week almost every single gamer had the same thoughts on their mind: "This game is the greatest piece of video gaming software ever made!", but we want to know how everyone feels now.

A lot of people have completed the story and a fair few have already achieved 100% completion, so we'd like to hear your own personal opinions now that you've spent countless hours with the game.

Does it still make you wet yourself with excitement when you play it? Are you becoming bored of it? Do various things really piss you off? Does the multiplayer just not appeal to you? Is there enough stuff to do once you've finished the main story? Do you wish something else was in the game? Get it off your chest and post in this topic on our forums so we can find out exactly what GTA fans really think of Grand Theft Auto IV.

What's your opinion on IV?
mikesmith
psy what are your thoughts?
MikeToreno
GTA4 is a fantastic game. As usual, I enjoyed the storyline, but i agree with those who say the characters were too minor. Elizabeta was one of the first characters revealed, and it looked like she was going to be a very large part of the game. So much for that. Faustin was also a bit too short. The game really just revolved around Roman and the McRearys. Not that any of them were bad characters, there just wasnt enough of everyone else. The one cutscene with the Gambetti guy with the UL Paper guy was awesome. I wish there was a little more of that, and less of Manny. The characters that did last, though, i really enjoyed. Michelle, Roman, and Packie were awesome. And what's up with not being able to hang with Phil?

Also, some of the missions were too repetitive. How amny times did Niko inflitrate some gang wherehouse? It was great to get breaks from that and do a bank heist here, or a choice there. But mission variety didn't happen enough.

However, the biggest problem for me, and I'm surprised not too many people have brought this up, but the lack of checkpoints in long missions was unbearable. Especially in the last mission. [spoiler]While it didn't happen so much in revenge, I died so many times in Deal, and when i finally thought I got it, the cops shot me just before i could get a final shot at Dimitri off. I didn't even bother to complete it after that. [/spoiler] There were enough large missons without any sort of checkpoint that it really just pissed me off and was my least favorite part of the game.

And then there's the radio... I never would have thought Vladastok would've been one of my favorite stations because I didn't really enjoy anything else. (besides the Genesis and that Vagabond song.)

But, after all those complaints, Rockstar did do very well. I enjoy the friend option, but sorta wish I could still [spoiler]hang with Michelle. I liked her way mroe than Kate or anyone else. [/spoiler] The choices were also very well done and mad me really think about who i was going to keep. I wish the benefits weren't like all given to one characer, though. Whatever, it was still very well done.

And, Niko was awesome. Probably one of my favorite video game characters of all time, and definetely the bst GTA protagonist. Really, for me, Niko is the best part about this game. Well, him and Roman's cab driver.

Overall, it's a fantastic game, but i wouldn't give it a 10/10.

Prob mainly because that lack of checkpoints really does get me,
Scrapper1
i think with their future GTA titles they should take a look at fan input.cause me and lots of people on here would have excellent ideas that would be fresh and creative(missions especially).i loved the game but after the story ends i dont have the same feeling i had when San Andreas ended(that"the end of the story is when the game really begins"feeling).music was average as well(only songs i like are Nas-War is Necessary,Fat Joe f/Lil Wayne-Crackhouse,Main Source f/Nas-Live at the BBQ)wish they let us download an option to allow us to put our songs in the game.also,Manny SUCKS!!working for him was worthless and his missions were butt.they could have gave us a safehouse in Dukes or Broker.oh btw,NOBODY CAN SEE ME ON CUB3D,lol

Rating:9.2 out of 10
SyPh3r
i love the game its awesome in every way the game has some flaws which made me frustrated like constantly being dissconnected getting stuck in the loading screen horrible bullet lag at times the game was made sheer genious otherwise i really hate the annoying and rude ppl online ho just talk shit the whole game always complaining
Psy
I have a mixed opinion on the game. Firstly, the visual side of the game is very impressive. The draw distance is amazing, and although the filter is used to make it all render better, I think it looks pretty good. I especially like the reflections and lighting effects.

The city itself is huge, and immensely detailed, there's a lot of stuff to see and even various back alleys are crammed with stuff you'd usually expect to see there.

The story mode was quite long, and pretty interesting, but there wasn't a lot of variety between missions. Most of the time it just felt like you were stealing drugs for someone, then killing drug dealers for someone else. Then the same thing, but for diamonds.

I like a lot of the characters, especially Brucie, Little Jacob, Niko especially and Packie to a point, but the rest of them were barely in the game, with the exception of Roman who was interesting at the start of the game, but gradually faded out of the story.

I love the Euphoria engine for the physics and think that is arguably one of the best stand-out features for the game, but getting hit by cars constantly is a bit annoying, even though technically, you should look before you cross the road!

Multiplayer is also a great achievement by Rockstar. To have a city that big, and have it totally synchronised over the internet with up to 16 players on various game types is very impressive. I haven't played many of the gametypes apart from a few races as I've been busy doing guides and taking screenshots from missions in single player, but I can see myself having fun on there with you guys.

Most of that is the good stuff though... I'm disappointed at the following:

The radio was very poor. The talk stations have shows which are about 20 minutes long (GTA3's Chatterbox was over an hour), and all of the music stations are playing crap. Rockstar obviously didn't want any big name bands in the game, and couldn't get a licensed soundtrack the same way they got Vice City's because it would have cost them a lot more for modern licensed music, but I think this was a mistake.

All of the way through the previews they went on about how the music sets the tone for the city and it all fits in the game, and I'm hard pressed to remember any of the songs that felt like they belonged in the game. Vladivostock FM was my favourite station and that explains how poor the rest of them were. The host of LCHC is annoying, constantly saying fuck every 5 seconds, and the host of the rock station (Iggy Pop) totally sounded out of place and that he couldn't voice act at all.

The comedy clubs were a good addition, but once you've seen each of the shows once, they are completely pointless and I doubt you'll spend any more than 30 minutes time spent on that activity. The same with the TV in the safe houses. Great addition, some funny content, but once you've watched it all through, I doubt you're gonna want to do it again any time soon.

My biggest problem with the game is that Rockstar clearly spent so much time building the city and making it all detailed, and adding in multiplayer functionality, that they left out the most important thing. Stuff to do. You have one arcade game which is annoyingly hard and not fun at all, and about 4 different activities you can do with your friends, most of which you wouldn't choose to do if it wasn't required for 100% completion. I won't even get started on the 200 pigeons which were arguably the only reason for most of the alley ways in the game.

Why detail every alley way to a near real-life level if people aren't gonna have any reason to need to go down them? I can't complain about the handling because it's more realistic and does seem to fit in the game fairly well. I would have liked to see the water used so much more. I'm sure all of the previews said the water would be a bigger part than previously. Well, nope. There's about 3 boating missions out of nearly 100.

Another thing which I can't be bothered to go in depth about is the lack of enterable buildings.

To be honest, it's the magazine previews that have tainted the game for me. Rockstar obviously lead them on by showing them stuff in the game, then the magazines use their imagination and write about how you can hang onto trucks in the game etc, when actually, as usual, it's just scripted for one mission only. On the website for the next GTA, if there is one, I will definitely not be posting anything that comes out of a magazine as fact. I should have learned that lesson from GTA San Andreas, because they over hyped the game a lot and ruined parts of it when they said stuff would be in that wasn't.

Anyway, I think this rant is long enough so far. Overall I think the game is really good, but it is nowhere near a perfect 10/10 given to it by IGN etc (and myself based on my first few days of playing). Complete the story, and there's effectively nothing for you to do apart from drive around and constantly get killed either doing stunts, or fighting cops.

It's hard to rate the game out of 10 because most of the stuff in it, in it's own right, would be arguably the best game ever, however based on what Rockstar achieved in their previous games, I don't think this one lives fully up to those expectations.
neon12025
I agree with most of you guys in what gta 4 is missing, and what it does have. i have a hunch that R* made this game with less features than they really could, and when they make the next game, they will say they have so many more things to do than gta 4, just to get more money off another game, when they really could have added it to this game.
The_Technician
yeah...R* really let the hype carry gta here...with not a lot to back it up...

so i dunno

it's pisses me off how it ended so abrubtly and how it was so short...

and how theres shit all to do with it

but the courtroom show on WKTT is funny as fuck! well done there!
Medic!
I agree with a few other people when I say that GTA IV just doesn't live up to the hype it recieved. I personally thought the story was a bit too short. Now that I've completed the story, I find that there isn't much to do. I've watched every show I could possibly see ( on TV, clubs etc.), and I've gone on multiple outings with my friends. I just feel like there should be something *more*. I'm also a bit disappointed that it's not the classic GTA "I'm the king of the city" kind of feel once you complete the game.
It just seems like you go through all of those missions, but you don't really get rewarded in the end. I've got nearly $800k and NOTHING to spend it on!
I know R* wanted GTA4 to be all about "realism", but honestly, if I had come to the city as an immigrant with nothing, then all of a sudden I'm earning $250k for doing missions, I'm going to have a LOT more to show for it than a few crappy apartments (like the rat-hole you get in Alderney).

Multiplayer is a cool feature for GTA, though it would be nice to have a lobby so you could choose which game you wanted to join.
I kind of expected a little more replay value with the addition of the multiplayer, but it's just not there for me. I was really excited when I heard about "Free Mode". I thought "awesome, it's going to be great to be online with people from all over the world just to hang out and do stuff together without blowing each other's brains out every 5 seconds."
I was sadly disappointed, most people shoot you on sight anyway, so you don't get much of a chance to interact with each other. I know that's none of Rockstar's fault, it's just been kind of a bone of contention for me.

I'm at the point now where I haven't played GTA in about a week, and I don't really feel the need to.
I won't ever trade my copy of GTA IV, because I'm trying to keep an open mind about it's eventual replay value (through DLC etc.), and maybe I just need to come up with some new RP ideas to keep me going.

Don't get me wrong, the game is still very impressive, and has more content packed into it than several games put together, but I just feel like it's missing something.
Un-Amurikan Bastage
The only things i have gripes about are basically what everyone's been saying:

1) Lack of clothing options and store selection - there are Didier Sachs stores and ads for Binco n' such, why can't I go to them?

2) Lack of random shit to do - more SA-style minigames, plzkthx. Skate parks, driving ranges, nightclubs...how about the burglary missions? Those were the shit - one of my favorite features in SA.

3) Lack of interiors - There's so much shit that I would want to go into, even if there was no function. Random stores n' stuff in Star Junction, random apartments, skyscraper offices, etc.

4) Mission originality - I though SA missions were more varied. Putting out fires, stealthily stealing things, burning pot fields, scouting people, breaking into government facilities...the one downside to realism. People complain that all the missions are "This guy/these guys fucked me over, take him/them out" in various locations - that's pretty realistic in the crime world. I don't want that much realism if that's what it means then...I'd be happy if the missions were simply longer, and entailed various scenarios and took you all over different places rather than just raid the building - car/motorcycle/boat/helicopter chase may ensue ending in another gunfight.

5) Radio - I've been listening to the radio at work and I've realized how much I miss the radios in VC and SA. I thought those radios were f-in' fantastic - they were memorable, provided good music to cruise to, and defined the games for me. Now I've got Liberty Rock, Integrity, and Vladivostok, and I can pick out two or three songs from memory, which happen to be the good ones and all from the rock station. The rock selection from the previous two games was just epic in the sound they provided for the game. I can still reminisce about rockin' out to Iron Maiden, David Lee Roth, Tesla and every band on VRock, and also enjoying every station from VC. In SA I loved every song on both the Dust and Radio X - crusin' down the highway to Tom Petty, Heart, Guns N' Roses, Depeche Mode, The Who, Creedence...it was epic. Even K-Rose was nice now and then - I love Amos Moses...I get all nostalgic when I hear those songs on the real radio - and I hear them a lot, because they're good songs. Now, I've heard two songs from GTA:IV on the real radio so far - Bob Seger and Fleetwood Mac (I think, whatever). Bring back radio we can actually remember our good GTA times with - music that defines the game and its atmosphere, its mood.

6) I want my motherfuckin' El Camino back...

7) Engine noises - WTF? I could record my lawnmower and my Mazda truck and put the files over most of these engines and it would sound better. I don't think even the shittiest sub-compact Jap-banger sounds as weak as some of these cars. The muscle cars sound alright, but I want more pop to the the individual cylinder explosions, like that one lowrider pickup-thing from SA. I've revved a Chevelle and other muscle cars and it feels like it's going to f-ing blow the hood off and eat you. I want that feeling - SA did it pretty well on the cars that needed it. The cars that aren't supposed to sound awesome, like your everyday sedan or grocery-getter don't sound that sorry in real life - they have a bland, inditinct engine noise. In the game it's a weak whine.

I do like the new handling on cars though - it feels heavy and meaty, like driving cars is - not like weightless toys that previous GTAs have portrayed them as. You feel good when you successfully pull off a nice handbrake corner, wheels screeching, and you maintain control. Motorcycles - I cringe when presented with one in missions, but it feels realistic. I would probably biff it on my face if I even made an attempt at driving a crotch-rocket without previous experience. Bikes feel fast and hard-turning at speed, like they are.

8) How come lamp posts come down at 5mph, but I'm totally thrashed when I encounter a tree or a bus stop? Bus stops should be totally destructible, with glass and aluminum and pedestrians everywhere...and if lamp posts are going to be made destructible for the purposes of a game as crazy-driving-oriented as GTA, I should think trees would be equally as susceptible...

Everything else about the game I love, I just think R* dropped the ball on those instances.
Nonchalance
I think GTA IV is a real cool game, I finished the main story and everything...but I agree with what a lot of you are saying, i got bored pretty soon...there really is nothing to do once you're done the story...graphics and all that physics shit is cool (still was GTA's selling point ever really about impressive graphics?), but really even after I was done the game, I didn't get that same feeling of satisfaction i got from San Andreas....I loved San Andreas and I was so hooked to it...you really got the feel of going from rags to riches...and you could actually do much more than buy weapons and clothes with your money...you could buy properties, and also you had businesses where you could pick up cash which is in tune with what the main character CJ wanted, in terms of wanting to lead a better life (which is what Niko wanted but he wasn't given such opportunity)...with GTA IV, you accumulate the cash, but what can you do with it? and I agree with what someone said earlier, all the missions seem so similar to each other....the common environment doesn't help either...San Andreas was huge man, and different types of environments too...you have the city type neighbourhoods, ghetto & upscale, the countryside, the desert, las venturas....the missions had much more variety too....you go from a dude in the ghetto starting with no respect to invading goverment facilities haha....which reminds me of being able to gain respect and then recruit "homies" for drive bys and stuff and also the turf wars, whereas in GTA IV Niko starts off as a hired gun and stays the same position by the time the game is over...a nobody....CJ went from a nobody, to owning business in Las Venturas...that gave a good sense of achievement by the end of the game, amongst other things...GTA IV is a good game, but i find myself dissappointed in comparison to the high i got from san andreas
The Last Sunset
I think it's a pretty perfect game. I think the radio, as a whole, is better than San Andreas's (for me). I like how there's no intense orange sunsets like in San Andreas (that really dampened the game when I first got it). I actually think the graphics are pretty amazing, especially the water and the reflections on it. I was one of those people that saw the screenshots with the blur affect and was a little nervous if the game would be blurry but I found out it's not blurry at all (maybe it's just my TV). But that was really relieving. I love the draw distance in the game and flying is my favorite out of all the GTAs. The game has a lot of integrity and I can't help thinking it's a lot more respectable than San Andreas was. Niko is a good, he's not really annoying like CJ (he doesn't constantly talk while he's fighting and when he does it's not irritating). But I still think Fido is my favorite. I honestly can't relate to Niko when Niko's being too caring. I like GTA because it's an escape from the typicality of society, and just imagining fucking with society. That's why I don't want to play a character that cares. But it's not a real concern. I really like how the guns aren't stressfully loud like they were in San Andreas. And I like how the cars aren't beeping constantly like in San Andreas when you stand in front of them. IV just feels like much more of a chill-out game which I like. What I don't like is the trees though. They just don't match with the graphics of everything else. They're all the same colors and shapes (it seems), and your eyes pick up on that. IV is a strange game. If I had one word to sum it up it'd be subtle. IV is an extremely subtle game, the exact opposite of San Andreas. The missions seem to not be as varied but I really don't care at all. I wish multiplayer would work properly for me. I have a PS3 and it takes around three tries every time I want to get in a server to get it to work. It just discourages me a little to even want to play multiplayer. It's a game that everything just comes together very well. A tight and subtle game that I think is pretty much perfect - I'd give it a 10 out of 10. I left out my biggest problem with the game - the shadows and the game in general is too dark. In real life your eyes adjust to darkness so you can see better, I wish it would have been like that in the game. Turning up the brightness and contrast fucks with the things that are bright enough. IV introduced me to Electric Light Orchestra from the Evil Women song on Liberty Rock Radio 97.8. I've now been listening to A New World Record and Face the Music and it's some of the best music I've heard in ages. Anyway, perfect game really (for me - everything is in my opinion even if I don't say "for me").
HB~Sauce
QUOTE(Psy @ May 21 2008, 05:17 AM) [snapback]1439107[/snapback]
To be honest, it's the magazine previews that have tainted the game for me. Rockstar obviously lead them on by showing them stuff in the game, then the magazines use their imagination and write about how you can hang onto trucks in the game etc, when actually, as usual, it's just scripted for one mission only. On the website for the next GTA, if there is one, I will definitely not be posting anything that comes out of a magazine as fact. I should have learned that lesson from GTA San Andreas, because they over hyped the game a lot and ruined parts of it when they said stuff would be in that wasn't.

I agree that the reviews do taint it, but its still really hard not to get your hopes up when you are on a forum like this and the latest info is posted. Seems to draw you in, and when it does that you're screwed. I was psyhced for hanging onto vehicles and the enterable buildings, but they were just missions that the magazine precieved as "100% fact you can do this from the start"

I'm already interested in the next installment, and I hope the groundwork they've made here with IV is built upon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.