Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Niko is Serbian
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Hints N' Finds
Pages: 1, 2
BikerMatt13
I was just talking to my friend and he told me something interesting. I remember reading a lot about where people think Niko is from. My friend is from Serbia and he said when he was reading the email Niko got from his mom, he understood everything she said that was in foreign. Im not sure how many other places speak the same language, but it narrows down where he is from. Just thought people might find this interesting. smile.gif
big-zee
That's actually pretty cool,

My brother has a Serbian mate and everyone thinks he's Russian.

Classic ingorance, lol.
SenorBubbz
I remember it says this somewhere in the game...
Either that or it's on wikipedia.
insertclevername
It says it in the guide for sure...
during one of the mission descriptions it says they like how the serbian did (talking about niko)
Thrilla in Manila
I'm pretty sure if I was from Serbia, I'd say that Niko was from Serbia too, but there are a fuckload of Serbs and shit in Russia.
Aussie_Boi
yeah no shit he can be a Russian Serb, his family originate from Serbia or something.. because in game i have been called the russian and been called shit to do with the Red Army, The Russian Red Army.
cut201
He's serbian, they SAY it in the game. Wish people payed attention. >.<
darko
You can buy a hat in the store with a Serbian flag on it. And he called some guys russian fuckers and I don't think he will insult his own people.
cut201
Does that really count as a spoiler?
Thrilla in Manila
why would they make him be from serbia though
Un-Amurikan Bastage
QUOTE(Thrilla in Manila @ May 5 2008, 05:47 PM) [snapback]1430976[/snapback]
why would they make him be from serbia though

To give him the war background? He's always talking about how he was "in the war," so Serbia makes sense.
Mzeppelin
It's funny how everyone thinks he's Russian. In the game it even says he's Serbian.
Kuwong
Where was it said in game? I never heard it.
The_Technician
I could gloat and say i told you so all along...

so...

I FUCKING KNEW IT!
ahahahah
i was right! (see 'Niko is russian' topic)

Fuuuuckers
Photograph51
I am half polish and can speak, write, and read fluently (heck, I got gcse's in it!) I can understand it to when it was written in the email. He's definetly slavic, but I believe (me thinks) if you listen carefully in the intro scenes, you do here either serbian/balkan. This would tie in nicley (well, not nicley 'cos it was ahorrible war) but it would tie in with the Yugoslavian war in the 90's, and that pretty much is the only war that was around there that had a large effect.
Nec
QUOTE(The_Technician @ May 6 2008, 12:12 AM) [snapback]1431114[/snapback]
I could gloat and say i told you so all along...

so...

I FUCKING KNEW IT!
ahahahah
i was right! (see 'Niko is russian' topic)

Fuuuuckers

This was established a while ago in that very topic you are pointing to. You should have gloated last week.
sparkycufc
Niko is a Serb?

In other late breaking news Elvis has passed away and the Pope is a catholic.
devilsnumber
QUOTE(Kuwong @ May 6 2008, 04:40 PM) [snapback]1431113[/snapback]
Where was it said in game? I never heard it.

mmm the first fudging cutscene
RamzKilla
hes slavic a least thas what i got from the story
Retardo
It says it at least 3 or 4 times in the game hes Serbian it even mentions specific historic points of the war, and when playing darts in the pub the flights on Niko's darts are the Serbian flag.
sparkycufc
QUOTE(Retardo @ May 7 2008, 03:09 PM) [snapback]1431720[/snapback]
It says it at least 3 or 4 times in the game hes Serbian it even mentions specific historic points of the war, and when playing darts in the pub the flights on Niko's darts are the Serbian flag.

The flights are red white and blue which are the colours of both the Serbian and Russian flags. You could be right about it being the Serbian flag h0owever as they are opposite way round from each other and I can't recall which way the colours are on the darts.

Niko is however definitely a Serb.
SoulxSide
My ex girlfriend was Serbian and was in the war and all of that - when I started playing it and heard them speak it, I kinda wished she was here so she could tell me what they were saying - it would've gotten her interested in video games more than she was.
Retardo
QUOTE(SoulxSide @ May 8 2008, 12:07 PM) [snapback]1432222[/snapback]
My ex girlfriend was Serbian and was in the war and all of that - when I started playing it and heard them speak it, I kinda wished she was here so she could tell me what they were saying - it would've gotten her interested in video games more than she was.

If you put subtitles on in the start options, it actually translates what they are saying in a grey colour rather than the normal white lettering they use for the english vocab...
Gunther Strigoi
Error?

Sorry bout that! anyways You all can beleive what you want. i know for a fact he's not russian just for the simple fact he hates them and in missions he clearly states he's not. I want to beleive he is slavic
sparkycufc
QUOTE(Gunther Strigoi @ May 8 2008, 01:39 PM) [snapback]1432249[/snapback]
Error?

Sorry bout that! anyways You all can beleive what you want. i know for a fact he's not russian just for the simple fact he hates them and in missions he clearly states he's not. I want to beleive he is slavic

He is Slavic, Serbs are one of the Slavic peoples (southern Slavic to be precise) along with Czechs, Poles, Slovaks (West Slavic) Belarussians, Ukranians, Russians (East Slavic) and Bosniaks, Bulgarians, Croats, Macedonians, Montenegrans, Slovenes (also southern Slavics).
nicksizzy
Niko is Serbian.
I am Serbian too, and in the opening cutscene, roman tells Niko ,that Niko knows English better than he(Roman) knows Serbian.
Connect
He is called a Serb many times throughout the game..
neko_ceko
He is not a SERBIAN war veteran since he talks about children being killed and slaughtered in the war, SERbs were killing children in the war...so how the hell can he a serbian war veteran that means then that he was killing the children... he is either from Croatia or Bosnia, and lived through the war in Vukovar or Srebrenica..... .back in the 90s serbs slaughtered and raped young girls and killed boys...and this could be the events he is referring to...or he is a Bosnian or Croat who lived in the Bosnian or Croatian war and fought along the Bosnian or Croatian army..
Niko says that he walked into some structure and found dead kids who got their throats cut by the enemy...in the war there wasn't any throat cutting of serbian kids since the war was not in Serbia the war was in croatia and bosnia...so how can he be serbian.....
sparkycufc
QUOTE(neko_ceko @ May 12 2008, 02:46 PM) [snapback]1434450[/snapback]
He is not a SERBIAN war veteran since he talks about children being killed and slaughtered in the war, SERbs were killing children in the war...so how the hell can he a serbian war veteran that means then that he was killing the children... he is either from Croatia or Bosnia, and lived through the war in Vukovar or Srebrenica..... .back in the 90s serbs slaughtered and raped young girls and killed boys...and this could be the events he is referring to...or he is a Bosnian or Croat who lived in the Bosnian or Croatian war and fought along the Bosnian or Croatian army..
Niko says that he walked into some structure and found dead kids who got their throats cut by the enemy...in the war there wasn't any throat cutting of serbian kids since the war was not in Serbia the war was in croatia and bosnia...so how can he be serbian.....

You've not been watching or listening very hard have you?

In one of the conversations he has (I think with Mrs Faustin) he talks about how he and his army colleagues lined up women and children against a wall and shot them, and how a man who has done things like he has is beyond salvation.

Also it wasn't just the Serbs who were killing women and children in that particular conflict, they were certainly the worst perpetrators of war crimes but horrible things were done by all sides, no country was innocent.
Nec
According to an article I found (which I will locate again tomorrow and link to because I am tired), He is a Croatian born Serb who fought in the Bosnian war. Apparently this was all verified by R*
Nec
1.) This is NOT the place to start an argument about wars and such. Take it to the Politics section of the site, where I have moved the appropriate posts from this topic. They can be found HERE, and you can continue your political debate there.

2.) Wikipedia is NOT the most reliable place for information.

3.) Here is the link to the article I mentioned, all of the information which is claimed to have been verified by Rockstar themselves. It HAS SPOILERS if you are not at least 3/4 of the way through the storyline, so READ AT YOUR OWN RISK
LINK
apm54
this is cool
psionic
QUOTE(Nec @ May 13 2008, 09:47 AM) [snapback]1434899[/snapback]
According to an article I found (which I will locate again tomorrow and link to because I am tired), He is a Croatian born Serb who fought in the Bosnian war. Apparently this was all verified by R*

Read this and stop bugging about it!

http://www.gta4.tv/forums/index.php?showto...p;#entry1475694
§ynch
QUOTE(psionic @ Dec 18 2008, 12:06 PM) [snapback]1475701[/snapback]

Read this and stop bugging about it!

http://www.gta4.tv/forums/index.php?showto...p;#entry1475694

That's a great post, thanks Psionic. cool.gif
neko_ceko

So he is an born Serb who lived in Croatia, and fought against Croats and Bosnians in War?
That sounds like something I could believe in.
Beast Jericho
QUOTE(BikerMatt13 @ May 4 2008, 11:35 PM) [snapback]1430386[/snapback]
I was just talking to my friend and he told me something interesting. I remember reading a lot about where people think Niko is from. My friend is from Serbia and he said when he was reading the email Niko got from his mom, he understood everything she said that was in foreign. Im not sure how many other places speak the same language, but it narrows down where he is from. Just thought people might find this interesting. smile.gif

What did the e-mail say?

It was never said in the game where Niko is from you fucking idiots.
neko_ceko
QUOTE(Beast Jericho @ Dec 19 2008, 11:10 PM) [snapback]1475827[/snapback]
QUOTE(BikerMatt13 @ May 4 2008, 11:35 PM) [snapback]1430386[/snapback]

What did the e-mail say?

It was never said in the game where Niko is from you fucking idiots.

I just found out that Sam Houser confirmed that it isn't specified where is Niko from, and that Rockstar themselves don't know that.

Mohawk
QUOTE(neko_ceko @ Dec 20 2008, 03:26 AM) [snapback]1475896[/snapback]
out that Sam Houser confirmed that it isn't specified where is Niko from, and that Rockstar themselves don't know that.

This seems more like real stuff...
macorules94
ATTENTION!!

Ok now that i have your attention

In the starting scene when niko gets off the boat, there is a part where Roman says: bla bla bla better than my SERBIAN

and anyways...

ROCKSTAR DIDNT MAKE IT RIGHT BECAUSE...

NIKOLAI BELLIC IS NOT A SERBIAN NAME....IN SERBIAN IT WOULD BE

... NIKOLA BELIC....SERBIANS DONT USE DOUBLE LETTERS, I KNOW THIS COZ IM

FROM YUGOSLAVIA.... the republic of Macedonia

And Nikolai in the whole Yugoslavia is Nikola

So next time R* should get their facts right

well sorry for sounding like an ass hole lol

btw... the person who speaks for Niko, cannot speak serbian for shit

coz when you crash, Niko says.. Uderio si mi auto....thats wrong...in serbian its udArio si mi auto, not uderio si

mi auto
TwoFacedTanner
Did not know Yugoslavia still existed as a country.
TreeFitty
QUOTE(neko_ceko @ Dec 20 2008, 05:26 AM) [snapback]1475896[/snapback]
I just found out that Sam Houser confirmed that it isn't specified where is Niko from, and that Rockstar themselves don't know that.

And that is the way it has been since the beginning. People just keep looking into every little thing about Niko trying to figure out his heritage and argue over the conflicting points which are there because his country is "unspecified" as far as R* is concerned.

He is one big stereotype for a general area of Eastern Europe. And officially that is the way it is.
neko_ceko
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Dec 21 2008, 08:47 AM) [snapback]1476007[/snapback]
Did not know Yugoslavia still existed as a country.

He meant former yugoslavia lol.

QUOTE(GtaFan94 @ Dec 21 2008, 08:40 AM) [snapback]1476006[/snapback]
ATTENTION!!

Ok now that i have your attention

In the starting scene when niko gets off the boat, there is a part where Roman says: bla bla bla better than my SERBIAN

and anyways...

ROCKSTAR DIDNT MAKE IT RIGHT BECAUSE...

NIKOLAI BELLIC IS NOT A SERBIAN NAME....IN SERBIAN IT WOULD BE

... NIKOLA BELIC....SERBIANS DONT USE DOUBLE LETTERS, I KNOW THIS COZ IM

FROM YUGOSLAVIA.... the republic of Macedonia

And Nikolai in the whole Yugoslavia is Nikola

So next time R* should get their facts right

well sorry for sounding like an ass hole lol

btw... the person who speaks for Niko, cannot speak serbian for shit

coz when you crash, Niko says.. Uderio si mi auto....thats wrong...in serbian its udArio si mi auto, not uderio si

mi auto

I know, I'm from Bosnia my self. (It would be Nikola Belić btw XD.png).
macorules94
^^^ kako si?
neko_ceko
QUOTE(GtaFan94 @ Dec 21 2008, 03:55 PM) [snapback]1476024[/snapback]
^^^ kako si?

Dobro kako si ti biggrin.gif
macorules94
QUOTE(neko_ceko @ Dec 22 2008, 07:10 AM) [snapback]1476065[/snapback]
QUOTE(GtaFan94 @ Dec 21 2008, 03:55 PM) [snapback]1476024[/snapback]
^^^ kako si?

Dobro kako si ti biggrin.gif

dobro hvala

q_Plung
In the first cutscene Roman does say, that he still knows Serbian. Now he can be from Serbia, Croatia, or Bosnia, but he's a serb for sure, since croatians speak croatian. Which is almost serbian, but with differences in pronounciation and vocabulary. The language he speaks in the game, and his mother uses is indeed serbian. Although you can easily tell, the actor doesn't speaks serbian, since he makes a lot of mistakes pronouncing, but no grammatical errors.
In the game he's called a russian a few times, and Brucie says that he'll just act cool, while Niko does some red-army-pedal-to-the-metal moves. Now this isn't because Niko is a russian, but because these characters have no idea where does Niko come from. And to them it doesn't make a difference if he's a serb from the balkans, or a russian. He's just an immigrant for them, since they have no idea what's the situation in eastern-europe, just like the guy who stated that "I'm pretty sure if I was from Serbia, I'd say that Niko was from Serbia too, but there are a fuckload of Serbs and shit in Russia.", which just proves that he's an ignorant (use the word of your choice ending with head, or hole, or else)______. Because Russia has nothing to do with Serbs, who never even were a part of the Eastern-block, and are rarely found in Russia.
Rockstar didn't mess up in these things, but made some mistakes: First of all: his name. Niko is can be found in croatia, but it's not a serb name. Bellic is a Serb name, but as previously pointed out there are no double consonants in slavic languages. Secondly, the voice acting was terrible. The serbian sentences were rubbish, and full of mistakes, and the accent was awful as well. Third is not a mistake, rather a funfact. In the early missions Niko deals with albanian criminals. Which is interesting, since in
'99 Serbia was bombed by NATO because the conflict around Kosovo with the albanians. And NATO was on the side of the albanians, bombing serbian cities. And about 10 years later an American company makes a game where you play with a serb, and you kill albanians.

To conclude, I'd like to point out that Niko as far as I know is a Serbian from Eastern Europe. I speak both serbian and croatian, so I know the differences, and was paying attention during the game. As I'm a hungarian language student, I don't say Niko to is from Serbia, because I'm from Serbia. But I'm just telling the fact that he is a serbian, from on of the above mentioned countries.
n1ko
Can't believe this,... my friend told me about this,..
My name is Niko, and i am from Yugoslavia.
Any kind of serb-corat bs take outside of GTA, none of the people know anything about what happened during the war.

This needs to be said.

Any foreign should pay attention that the war was:

1. media closed
which means that any information that serbs, croats, bosnians ( which consist of serbs mostly, than muslims and in the end croatians ), macedonians, montenegros and slovenians where getting about what was happening during thoese 10 years was intentionaly misleading and was completly censored by their politicians
( some of them, from all sides, had a chance to be psychologically tested and were found mentally ill )

2. nothing has been actually proven about any killing for any side
anyone that actually knows anything about science ( which means that has at least a phD and isn't a yugoslavian in hertrage ) will know that nothing is provable ( yeah, despite retarded CSI shows, science is far far away from that ), only guessable

3. we do want to put it all aside
I have a lot of family members dead behind me ( croatians, serbs, montenegrians - yes we are all mixed in hertrage ) in that war and i do not want to see, misleaded people or children that where too young to see what was actualy going on talking about "serbs did this" or "croatians did this". If they had any brains they would stop, if they had a lot of brains they would realize that it was all lead by a few deranged people on all sides.

In final, making a game using this kind of story is HORRIBLE, EA should be sued by Croatians, Bosnians, Macedonians, Montenegrians, Slovenians and Bosnians all together.

I can imagine ex-yugoslavians making a game where you are in a role of Avganistan with a main idea of killing a lot of U.S. civilians. I bet everyone would like to see that, especially NY-orkians.

Am i a serb or a croat?
( this is a rhetorical question, which means you don't answer it )

p.s. To ex-yugoslavians, afcourse that they teach you different in schools and on tv's, and that the older people talk differently.
1. what you learn in schools depends on politicians

2. what you watch on tv depends on older editors, and politicians if they don't like what they're seeing and listening

3. older people doesn't mean smarter, only angirer if they didn't do anything in their lives and trying to put a fight anywhere to prove themselfs ( this is something that everyone will see when they become older --- the same goes for adolescents, difference is that adolescents want an actual physical fight )

Example
-Do you feel angry after reading about Niko and GTA?
-Do you want to kick someone after reading about Niko and GTA?
Then go and hurras EA and not each other like you were tought by your politicians.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(n1ko @ Mar 29 2009, 08:24 AM) [snapback]1492844[/snapback]
Can't believe this,... my friend told me about this,..
My name is Niko, and i am from Yugoslavia.
Any kind of serb-corat bs take outside of GTA, none of the people know anything about what happened during the war.

In final, making a game using this kind of story is HORRIBLE, EA should be sued by Croatians, Bosnians, Macedonians, Montenegrians, Slovenians and Bosnians all together.

Then go and hurras EA and not each other like you were tought by your politicians.

That first part I find hard to believe.

The second part...EA didn't make this game man...
Massacre
QUOTE(n1ko @ Mar 29 2009, 09:24 AM) [snapback]1492844[/snapback]
(Insert Bullshit Here)

I can't believe you joined this forum just to make yourself look like a fucking moron. On second thought, I can, that's been happening more and more lately.

None of the information in your post bears any relevance in relation to the discussion of Niko's nationality or the context of the game. Only a few lines of dialogue in GTA IV even discuss the war itself, and it has no bearing on the storyline of the game, it's just a brief and vague look into Niko's backstory.

And Tanner, let him think EA made this game, it's not like he had any credibility to begin with.
neko_ceko
QUOTE(n1ko @ Mar 29 2009, 03:24 PM) [snapback]1492844[/snapback]
1. media closed
bosnians ( which consist of serbs mostly, than muslims and in the end croatians ),

We are not "muslimzomglulz" we are Bosniaks
DUMBASS

Islam is not a nation it's just a religion
DUMBASS

Bosniaks/ns aren't serbs and croats
DUMBASS

EA didn't made the game
DUMBASS

You don't even know what you are talking about
DUMBASS

Who the fuck cares about politics in a game
DUMBASS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.