Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Take-Two fix for freezing games (PS3)
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Important Information > Site News
Pages: 1, 2
Nec
EDIT: Please see Tethered's post here first.

Full article at Gamespot

Please run through the following, go through in order.

1) Delete the game's install data. This is done via the PS3 options. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Game Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, from the menu select Delete. This will delete the game's install information.

2) Delete the game's save files. To delete any save files you will need to do the following. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Save Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, and from the context menu select Delete.

3) Disable your Internet connectivity for the PS3. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Settings' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Network Settings'. Now scroll down to the Internet connection option and press x, now select the disable option. Once this has been done unplug the ethernet cable if you are connecting to the Internet if using this.

4) Disable the console's information board. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Information Board', highlight this and press triangle. From the menu select 'Do not display' Press X to confirm this.

5) Disable Media Server functionality. Scroll to Settings, now scroll up / down to 'Network Settings' select Media Server connection. Once this has been done press triangle and change the option Disabled.

6) Delete all of the system's Internet cache. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Internet Browser', highlight this and press X. Once you browser opens press the triangle button once, from the new menu highlight the 'Tools' option and press X. Scroll down the menu until you reach 'Delete Cookies' and press X. Confirm the files deletion. Repeat this for 'Delete Cache'.

7 ) Turn off the PS3 screen saver. Use the cross media bar to scroll to 'Settings', select 'Display Settings'. Now highlight 'Screensaver' and set this to 'Do not use'.

8 ) Once this has been done, manually restart you PS3 by holding down the power button for 5 seconds it will beep once and then shut down. Release the power button and re-press it and hold for about 5 seconds. The system will then boot and reset all display settings. You will be prompted to reset your display settings to how you require them.

9) Once restarted please try the game again, you will be prompted to reinstall.

Once the game has started please turn off the following features:

1) The game's auto-save. Press Start, Game, and locate the Auto-save option. Turn this off.

2) Turn off the game's flicker filter. Press Start, Display and locate the Flicker Filter option. Turn this off.

3) Turn off the controller vibration feature. Press Start, Controls and locate the vibration option. Turn this off.

If that doesn't solve the problem, Take-Two allows tech support users to reopen their cases within seven days.

Hopefully this helps some of your freezing and crashing problems. More support available at The official site.
krakabeast03
OHHH BOY
OptimumPx
Jesus...you have to go through a lot to fix that...I'm really glad it's never happened to my copy.

...here's hoping they release a patch for the problem soon!
Mattay
I went to do a mission yesterday and the game froze at the loading screen. Thankfully I had just saved after doing a previous mission. Restarted the system and it worked fine.

A patch would be nice.
grimface1987
What a pain for anyone with the PS3 version. That seems like a lot to just fix freezing.
Caliguy
As easy as 1, 2, 3.

4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9... 1, 2, 3...
neko_ceko
It freezes only for PS3 version?
GMT
i doubt that this will cure the problem...

I have the occasional freeze after like 10 hours of non-stop gameing with *every* game. no matter if its gta4 or oblivion or juiced2 or whatnot...
I certainly won't delete my safegame for this wallbash_red.gif id rather take the few mins to crank it back on and redo the mission (thanks to autosafe)
Im kinda lazy on real safe since you always have to sleep it instead of just do it...
SuperStef
So does that mean if you don't want the game to freeze, you have to play without some of the new features for this GTA like autosave and vibrating phone? Or can you turn them on again after?
Indy
The 360 version probably freezes too, when it overheats. I dunno, it's never happend to me yet. *touch wood
Lee
QUOTE(Van Hel Singh @ May 2 2008, 12:36 PM) [snapback]1428652[/snapback]
The 360 version probably freezes too, when it overheats. I dunno, it's never happend to me yet. *touch wood

The 360 does freeze. It's happened once to me when a cut scene had finished and a mission was loading, the loading screen never went off. I simply quit to dashboard went to start the mission again and it worked fine. These one off thing happen in any game. Sounds a bit more than a one-off for the ps3 though but they'll patch it in no time.
Nec
So far I haven't had any problems with the 360, but it is new (Feb). *crosses fingers*
Qdeathstar
I havn't had any problems with my PS3 either, but this sure as hell ain't no fix. This is like, lets turn off everything we don't need to actually just play the game and see what happens.
TexasDominators
my game has froze once but i let it just sit there for a minute and it unfroze so i wasnt sure what was going on.
Rylo84
QUOTE(TexasDominators @ May 2 2008, 02:03 PM) [snapback]1428722[/snapback]
my game has froze once but i let it just sit there for a minute and it unfroze so i wasnt sure what was going on.

Exactly the same happened to me. 30 seconds later it just came back on. My advice would be to not press every button on the pad as if it does want to come back on, pressing every button loads probably wont speed the process up like. Bit like when a PC freezes really.

Thats just my thoughts anyway.

Caliph
QUOTE(Lee @ May 2 2008, 03:11 PM) [snapback]1428673[/snapback]
QUOTE(Van Hel Singh @ May 2 2008, 12:36 PM) [snapback]1428652[/snapback]

The 360 does freeze. It's happened once to me when a cut scene had finished and a mission was loading, the loading screen never went off. I simply quit to dashboard went to start the mission again and it worked fine. These one off thing happen in any game. Sounds a bit more than a one-off for the ps3 though but they'll patch it in no time.

Actually this freezing issue happens on every console and PC you could think of. But like you said, its only a once in blue moon type of thing, it only happens once at a random manner. If you restart the game or mission, things should be fine again. But the problem with the PS3 version is that it keeps happening over and over and over again. Its not something random, or "one off thing" as you put it. Instead, it keeps happening at the same point, as if it was pre-programmed or something. Its a real pity, mind you, that this is happening.
shootthebandit
QUOTE(GMT @ May 2 2008, 09:42 AM) [snapback]1428608[/snapback]

I have the occasional freeze after like 10 hours of non-stop gameing with *every* game. no matter if its gta4 or oblivion or juiced2 or whatnot...
I certainly won't delete my safegame for this wallbash_red.gif id rather take the few mins to crank it back on and redo the mission (thanks to autosafe)
Im kinda lazy on real safe since you always have to sleep it instead of just do it...

maybe coz u play for like ten hours it overheats, plus you get sore eyes. i dont mean to nagg but dont you think ten hours is a bit excessive, book an appointment with an optician.

on topic:ive not got the game yet but if i do that stuff before i play it will it not happen.
CDTK_IMPALA_SS
wow most of u people got that problem that sucks didn't had any problems with mine except minor ones but damn never thought it will happen PS3
HB~Sauce
I've had no problems so far with my PS3 and the game. I started up/installed the game without my internet connection on...

*knocks on wood.
GxZ
With my PS3, just one freeze after hours of playing, and one time when the game crashed (i.e. the mission halted as the system skipped a line of dialogue which I suspect was needed as a trigger for the next cutscene, during my first mission with Manny).

Not a big deal at all, and certainly not worth disabling a million features. (much as I loathe autosave anyway)
phenix
After playing for a couple of hours. Exited the game and put the controller to charge. Came back to restart the game and now it just stops at the loading screen. This sucks.
Merkleguy
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ May 2 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]1428771[/snapback]
QUOTE(GMT @ May 2 2008, 09:42 AM) [snapback]1428608[/snapback]

maybe coz u play for like ten hours it overheats, plus you get sore eyes. i dont mean to nagg but dont you think ten hours is a bit excessive, book an appointment with an optician.

on topic:ive not got the game yet but if i do that stuff before i play it will it not happen.

I habdn't played GTA for an entire day cme home about 24hrs later switched on th PS3 and GTA froze att eh first loading point, reset it then it played for about 5 mins then froze, restart then froze again at thefirst loading screen reset started up played andcompleted one mission then went to next it froze at the cut scene of the next mission restart and then froze at the first load screen again.

Whats worse is i swear it went back the mission i completed so i lost that save damn it and autosave was on and i watched t save after the mission i done as well.

Mine is fucked. :@:@:@ Grrrrrr
phenix
QUOTE(phenix @ May 3 2008, 02:14 AM) [snapback]1429167[/snapback]
After playing for a couple of hours. Exited the game and put the controller to charge. Came back to restart the game and now it just stops at the loading screen. This sucks.

Ok Reinstalled game Data, Game loaded fine worked for 5 mins then totally locked up the entire PS3.
calimann83
I am so angry right now. I have not had any problem since I got the game. I read this, said wow that suck, then went to play and it wouldn't load. I'm not only angry about loosing my game ( I had finally made some real progress, but that I have to turn off those features. I shouldn't have to do that to play my game. WTF. I understand it freezing form time to time, but this is just messed up, how does this get missed during testing.
tethered
QUOTE(phenix @ May 2 2008, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1429167[/snapback]
Exactly the problem I have. Loading.. Loading.....Loading.........Loading.................

It happened when I made it to Bohan. Where did it happen for you?
This is the second time I have had it happen. I had to go to an earlier save (I saved to a card) and redo about 6 missions.

$60.00 for this piece of shit?

Don't get me wrong because up till this point its been a great game but this is inexcusable!
Who tested this crap anyway?

Edit:
OK, to fix the loading problem, I logged off PSN. Loaded the game and it worked.
I'll try to get online from the phone but who knows at this point.

I hope R* fixes this soon!

EDIT, EDIT! :
I just tried to log in to play online from the in game phone and it froze!
I am going to just play single player (disconnected from PSN) for now until I know online is fixed.
I had to restart after it froze from trying to log in to PSN while in game.
I logged out of PSN and it worked again so that is the problem.

Good luck people!
Nec
Thanks for the info!
Qdeathstar
You know, now that i think about it, i don't have a "flicker filter" option at all ????

Sometimes i do get some flicker while playingthe game so it'd be nice to know if it was on or off but i can't find it when i go to start-display.
Rayniac

Same thing here Q, no idea where it's located...

Anyway, the last 2 days were fine with the occasional 1 second freeze and then it continued. But before that it froze up quite often. Was very disappointed to see that happening...
Glad that Take Two is quick with their response though, but I'll wait for a patch instead of all that ps3 customization... Thanks for info Tethered, will try that if it happens again!

Caliph
Does anyone know if we need to patch our games if we plan on buying it sometime later? I would hate having to set up an online function for the console just to get my hands on the patch via download. Would be better if they re-stock their game again.
Rayniac
QUOTE(Caliph @ May 3 2008, 09:21 AM) [snapback]1429269[/snapback]
Does anyone know if we need to patch our games if we plan on buying it sometime later? I would hate having to set up an online function for the console just to get my hands on the patch via download. Would be better if they re-stock their game again.

Nah, if you have a usb stick, you could probably get it somewhere off the net and then plug the usb into the ps3 and install it from there. Don't know if it works like this though. But works with System updates.
Caliph
QUOTE(Rayniac @ May 3 2008, 01:42 PM) [snapback]1429299[/snapback]

Nah, if you have a usb stick, you could probably get it somewhere off the net and then plug the usb into the ps3 and install it from there. Don't know if it works like this though. But works with System updates.

Seriously you could do that? Wow, I thought your PS3 needed to be connected to the internet in order to download stuff. So all you need to do is stick a usb into the computer, download the patch and then move it to the console? Thats neat, sure beats the hectic work of setting up an internet connection for my console.
yuriy
I just got the game yesterday and it was all going fine untill i decided to take a break an hour or so later. When i turned my ps3 back on and started the game it wouldnt get past loading the game (after the moving pictures). So then I came here and read how to fix it, I did everything it said and then started the game, surprisingly it loaded up. Now i realised that whenever the internet option is enabled it wont load the game after you turn off and then turn on your ps3. If you load the game, quit and turn on the internet option and then try playing again it will load but will freeze very often and also when you try to do multiplyer it will always freeze. i hope R* releases a patch soon, this is really pissing me off.
Rayniac
QUOTE(Caliph @ May 3 2008, 11:48 AM) [snapback]1429313[/snapback]
QUOTE(Rayniac @ May 3 2008, 01:42 PM) [snapback]1429299[/snapback]

Seriously you could do that? Wow, I thought your PS3 needed to be connected to the internet in order to download stuff. So all you need to do is stick a usb into the computer, download the patch and then move it to the console? Thats neat, sure beats the hectic work of setting up an internet connection for my console.

In theory, yes... rolleyes.gif Like I said, I know it works for the ps3 system updates cause it was designed for that... Now, if Rockstar decides to put the patch on their website or any other, this should work the same way. otherwise someone will probably load it up soon ;-)

And Yuriy, It's really pretty random I guess... my connection is always on and now it's not freezing anymore. (for the time being) I played offline once (meaning I just signed off Psn) and it still did weird sometimes. Never during loading though...

TexasDominators
wow now my game has frozen twice without an unfreeze =/ its really pissing me off
yuriy
QUOTE(TexasDominators @ May 3 2008, 01:24 PM) [snapback]1429485[/snapback]
wow now my game has frozen twice without an unfreeze =/ its really pissing me off

Did you turn that flicker Filter thing off?
TexasDominators
well now my game wont even load so im not sure what im gonna do but no i hadnt before.
yuriy
Make sure you are signed out of PSN and under network options>internet make sure its "do not use" option.
zappbrannigan
I can vouch for what Tethered has said. I got the game yesterday and played for like 7 hours until you get the safehouse in Bohan. This morning I tried to load up "Roman's Sorrow" and it froze on the loading screen. I turned off my PS3, came here, read what Tethered said and now it works! (I post this after a 4 hr session wink.gif ). Just sign out of PSN and then play GTA IV. Worked for me, sure you can't play MP until they release a patch but I have COD4 for that.
Kamahl
what i dont understand is why did it work perfectly the first day =/ what happened?
CDTK_IMPALA_SS
so wait i guess we can't play online cause of the freeze up. Does that mean i gotta delete my whole game so i can start over
TexasDominators
yeah i turned my internet off to my ps3 and the game is working good now, btw i left the flicker filter on

and to impala ss i wouldnt delete your game because ive read on boards that that has nothing to do with it just turn psn off and try it
yuriy
Deleting game files is useless, BTW TexasDominators do you know what that flicker thing does?
mograph187
QUOTE(tethered @ May 2 2008, 08:35 PM) [snapback]1429189[/snapback]
QUOTE(phenix @ May 2 2008, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1429167[/snapback]
Exactly the problem I have. Loading.. Loading.....Loading.........Loading.................

Edit:
OK, to fix the loading problem, I logged off PSN. Loaded the game and it worked.
I'll try to get online from the phone but who knows at this point.

I hope R* fixes this soon!

Ok. Last night i tried to load my game up after being at work all day and it did the EXACT same thing as described here where it would just sit on the "Loading-..." screen. At first I went back to an older save and it worked fine, but then I later quit the game and went back in and it just sat on the Loading screen again (this time after a different mission had been completed and auto saved).

Then i saw this forum post and it SOLVED it for the time being. I logged out of PSN then tried loading the game and it worked right away with no trouble. Must be something wrong with the online portion of the game....

On that note: When I tried to go online for Multiplayer (before this Loading freeze thing ever happened) it kept disconnecting me everytime I would enter a game. I would get into the game or the prep screen for about ten seconds and then it would drop me and say "One or more players have lost connection. You are being returned to single player..."

Anyone else experiencing this? Are these problems possibly related? I am on TW Cable internet and it is super fast so that is not the problem... (also I have had no problem getting online with GT5).

TexasDominators
QUOTE(yuriy @ May 3 2008, 03:01 PM) [snapback]1429597[/snapback]
Deleting game files is useless, BTW TexasDominators do you know what that flicker thing does?

i think it just takes the little bit of flickering out of the game to make it look more smooth and clean.
Caliguy
Yikes now I'm having problems. My game is freezing when it's trying to load from startup. I'm stuck seeing "Loading - Three Leaf Clover" forever.

It did this last night too, but only once and it worked when I tried again. I'm about 30% through the game. Do I have to start over?
orac31
i had same problems i deleated save files reinstalled and formatted what a prat i was grrr

had same think happen today and signed out of psn(as someone here said) and it loaded fine.

Please don`t deleate like i did
DiO
my dont freeze that often. im just gonna deal with it untill they fix this shit.
Caliguy
QUOTE(orac31 @ May 3 2008, 05:23 PM) [snapback]1429738[/snapback]
i had same problems i deleated save files reinstalled and formatted what a prat i was grrr

had same think happen today and signed out of psn(as someone here said) and it loaded fine.

Please don`t deleate like i did

Dude, I love you. It finally loaded! Tight smile.gif Thanks very much.
Mr Pink
It took me more then an hour today the game froze at the loading screen every time I tried to load. After several tries of me trying to start the game it finally starts and freezes as soon as I get my first mission. This is bullshit...
Not a Stain On Me
That fix is bull-shit. All I did BEFORE I read this post was sign out of the PS Network and it loaded fine. I didn't have to reset my PS3 or none of that other bull-shit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.