Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MADD is MAD!
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Important Information > Site News
Nec
Mothers against GTAIV's drunk driving
MADD asks ESRB to rerate Rockstar's game Adults Only over inebriation simulation.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Apr 30, 2008 2:46 pm PT

Much like its unfortunate series of protagonists, the Grand Theft Auto series seems to be continually under fire. The latest parental interest group to put the game in its crosshairs is Mothers Against Drunk Driving, which commemorated Grand Theft Auto IV's release yesterday with its own official statement decrying the game.

Noting that drunk driving claims nearly 13,500 lives each year, MADD said that it is "extremely disappointed" that the game lets users get virtually drunk and then get behind the wheel of an equally virtual automobile.

"Drunk driving is not a game and it is not a joke," MADD said. "Drunk driving is a choice, a violent crime, and it is also 100 percent preventable."

MADD is asking the Entertainment Software Rating Board to bump Grand Theft Auto IV's rating up to AO for Adults Only from M for Mature. The ESRB's content descriptors for the game currently include "use of drugs and alcohol." The parental group also said that it is asking the game's "manufacturer" (presumably Take-Two Interactive) to consider stopping distribution out of a sense of social responsibility, or out of respect for those who've been hurt or killed by drunk drivers.

From Gamespot

Who is next?

Seriously. Every time I tried driving drunk in-game I got busted, so I opted for cabs after that. You'd think they would support this, since it essentially gives the same message.
Mad Space Ghost
Yea, you can barely drive drunk. Althouhg i've been able to drunk drive succesfully in game, it just not worth the risk with teh cops. if anything gta lets you experiment ahead of time showing you that drunk driving even in game is a bad idea.
rctfan1556
QUOTE(Francis McReary @ Apr 30 2008, 08:18 PM) [snapback]1427482[/snapback]
Yea, you can barely drive drunk. Althouhg i've been able to drunk drive succesfully in game, it just not worth the risk with teh cops. if anything gta lets you experiment ahead of time showing you that drunk driving even in game is a bad idea.

How can you drive drunk in the game? I haven't been able to do that yet.
mundy
ppl jus love to hate, they didnt think that maybe ppl get drunk in the game and drive because they know not to do it in society that is wat the game is about, it puts us in a world and allows us to do things we wouldnt normally do
darkrazr
i agree with this guy because if you are drunk in the game and you have a lot of cops chaising you and you cant drive your going to get caught by the cops no doubt so it teaches the kids not to drive drunk because you will get caught and you will go to jail
Thrilla in Manila
lmfao, fuck killing random people for no reason simulated drunk driving is serious business.
HB~Sauce
Actually since I could barely walk when drunk, I opted for a taxi.....plus my car disappeared tongue.gif
grimface1987
They obviously haven't played the game. Niko actually says when you try to get in a car. I"I'm a bit drunk. Maybe I should get a cab."

Also, it's not like it's a big secret. Gamers have known about this feature for months!

Point 3: Saint's Row had the ability to drink and then drive. Why aren't MADD calling for that to be banned?
Thrilla in Manila
Bunch of fucking bitches.
The Last Sunset
MADD are shockingly ignorant.
Mad Space Ghost
QUOTE(rctfan1556 @ Apr 30 2008, 08:43 PM) [snapback]1427502[/snapback]
QUOTE(Francis McReary @ Apr 30 2008, 08:18 PM) [snapback]1427482[/snapback]

How can you drive drunk in the game? I haven't been able to do that yet.

Go out drinking with roman by calling him and selecting the drink option and once u arrive at your destination you and everything is done your gonna be smashed and both of you will look like bafoons trying to walk biggrin.gif
coreyko_2003
QUOTE(grimface @ Apr 30 2008, 09:11 PM) [snapback]1427531[/snapback]
They obviously haven't played the game. Niko actually says when you try to get in a car. I"I'm a bit drunk. Maybe I should get a cab."

Also, it's not like it's a big secret. Gamers have known about this feature for months!

Point 3: Saint's Row had the ability to drink and then drive. Why aren't MADD calling for that to be banned?

Because thats not GTA >_>

Anyway I wish these whiny little cunts would shut the fuck up already.
DiO
GTA certianly discouraged me from drinking and driving. fuck it was hard running from the cops.
grimface1987
Maybe I should send a letter to MADD:

QUOTE(Potential letter from me)
Dear MADD,

I recently played a video game on the Xbox 360 entertainment system entitled "Grand Theft Auto IV". Perhaps you have heard of it?

One particular aspect of the game gave you the opportunity to enhance your relationship with a cousin you had not seen in ten years. This was done by consuming alcohol at a bar. As you can imagine, when people go out for a drink it can sometimes get out of hand. On this occasion, Mr. Bellic (whom I was controlling) had too much to drink and was having trouble walking straight.

Unfortunately, I chose for him to drive his vehicle home despite him saying to me "I'm very drunk, I should take a taxi". During the drive I crashed into a number of vehicles/property/road signs and was seriously injured (the game refers to this situation as being "wasted"). I woke up in the hospital.

Another time, after a drinking session, I was pulled over by the police. They took me to the police station and fined me a large portion of the cash I was carrying and confiscated all my possessions (the game refers to these as "weapons").

Clearly, driving while drunk is not glorified in the game and is given a severe punishment. By playing this game and experiencing how difficult it is to drive after drinking alcohol, I can honestly say that if I am ever in that situation in real life, I will not even entertain the though of getting behind the wheel. Taxicabs are plentiful and a much safer way of getting home.

I applaud "Grand Theft Auto IV" and its creators "Rockstar North" on highlighting to the community the dangers of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and demonstrating the definite negative consequences.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXX

It could happen.

And yes, I have a lot of time on my hands at work!
Hitman540
^yeah i agree, u should send that to em it would be good to show them plus its "nice" not "IMM FUCK U UP BEOTCH!!!"
lol
Lee
I think the drink driving think is covered really well by R*, if you do it you get the cops after you and it is very difficult to get away. I've tried it onec, couldn't get away in the car so tried to escape on foot which was slightly more sucessful. Then just as I'd got away and I could walk in a straight line I got in another car, but I was still too drunk to drive even though I could walk straight. So my car wasn't going in a straight line and the police came after me again.

The point is, it takes ages for the affects of the alcohol to wear off even though you feel fine, nice touch.
neko_ceko
Stupid mother (s against drunk drivers) fuckers.
shakezerofive
they probably did it for the publicity.
GMT
gosh...
ok, it wouldnt be gta if there were no negative bitches naggin around!

but then again? how did the found out? cuz they bought the game, rated M (or as in germany AO), for their 15 year old nerds and wonder how he goes mad with it.

all these fuckers dont get that these games enable u to do things youd never do in real life...

apart from thats once more an anti-games campaign and not an anti bad habbit shit, cuz in a movie, noone would care (same as with violence)
Ophis-
out of respect for those who've been hurt or killed by drunk drivers

Out of respect they should shut their traps and go and use there time to put up some posters in a bar/club where people are more likly to ACTUALLY drink drive then bother people who are just acting out drink driving in a computer game... Drink driving was a problem long before a computer game!?! Plus, the game is so fucking great that less people are going to leave their house to actualyl commit a DUI offense! am i right or an i right?!

R* have done them a favour!
Shamrock Paul
At the end of the day, people are forgetting that its just a game and not real life although the GTA series has been controversely attacked endlessly so it makes no difference that this 'MADD' are trying to degrade it and bring it down but we all know that this will never happen because its an awesome game cool.gif
swuk6
While yeah they have a point that drunk driving is bad. Its a game! Jesus Holy Goating Christ!

Also MADD are Pissed would have worked on two levels too! tongue.gif
Ophis-
QUOTE(swuk6 @ May 1 2008, 11:13 AM) [snapback]1427744[/snapback]
While yeah they have a point that drunk driving is bad. Its a game! Jesus Holy Goating Christ!

Also MADD are Pissed would have worked on two levels too! tongue.gif

HAHAH! i didnt get that at first, DUH.... hehe good one!
Mekstizzle
Hmm. Call the cab. Now why didn't I think of that
Nec
Totally, send the letter. I will write one myself later today. They are chastising something they are clearly ignorant of when it comes to the facts.
deejay
same on u R* for making me drive drunk in real life, shame u to fucking hell. and shame on you for making me kill people for no reason, or having sex with hookers, or stealing cars shame on you.................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah shut the fuck up bitches and got get ur selves a good had dick
bOnEs
lol, i knew MADD would say something about this... i'm just surprised they waited until after the release... which leads me to believe that it was a publicity stunt basically... and if those damn mothers would play the game, they would realize that it's no walk in the park when you drive drunk... you kill innocents just like what they say, and you do get in trouble with the law...

if anything, R* made the drinking system perfect... this is what happens when you get behind the wheel drunk... if anything, it teaches you a lesson...
bobert
notworthy.gif I applaud MADD on their retarded assed accuasations. Lol, every since i started playing GTA i cant help but drive on the sidewalk right down main street. I have an obsession with killing hookers that i pick up at the sleazy bar in town, parking in a back alley and killing them after im done fuckin them so i can get "bonus points". Seriously though, playing GTA has actually had the opposite effect on me. If it wasnt for GTA showing me what stealing cars, driving drunk, and fuckin disease infected hookers, and punching random old ladies in the face actually results in i probably would be in prison right now. You automatically get a wanted level star when u enter a vehicule and its damn near it impossible to drive, this i believe sets a good example of why you should never drink and drive. And also they dont allude to the fact that in vice city you drove drunk in a mission. And from what ive heard you can do the same in Saints Row. So my question is why should rockstar be picked on??
The answer is Rockstar games is comparable to the "red headed step child of the gaming industry". Saints Row is the older brother, and True crime is the mentally retarded crack baby that was left in a dumpster.
Scratch
Oh lol, these things make me laugh....

Though im surprised we haven't yet heard from "MADWTOP" - Mothers Against Driving While Talking On Phone.

I mean, you can use the phone while driving! This is ILLEGAL!!! BAN THE GAME!!!

blink.gif unsure.gif
AustinM
Yeah,you can get busted for drunk driving ingame.But that's why there is a use of drugs and alcohol rating in this game.So I guess MADD isn't going to go against the other ratings that this game has?That's why they don't let people 17-18 under play this game unless with a parent and a parent's id at the gamestore.

MADD should wave the whiteflag snf (31).gif
grimface1987
Rockstar's comment:

QUOTE(Rockstar)
"We have a great deal of respect for MADD's mission, but we believe the mature audience for 'Grand Theft Auto IV' is more than sophisticated enough to understand the game's content," Rockstar Games said in a statement to The Associated Press on Wednesday. "For the same reason that you can't judge an entire film or television program by a single scene, you can't judge 'Grand Theft Auto IV' by a small aspect of the game."

Link
traxxaz
QUOTE(grimface @ May 1 2008, 04:30 AM) [snapback]1427592[/snapback]
Maybe I should send a letter to MADD:

QUOTE(Potential letter from me)
Dear MADD,

I recently played a video game on the Xbox 360 entertainment system entitled "Grand Theft Auto IV". Perhaps you have heard of it?

One particular aspect of the game gave you the opportunity to enhance your relationship with a cousin you had not seen in ten years. This was done by consuming alcohol at a bar. As you can imagine, when people go out for a drink it can sometimes get out of hand. On this occasion, Mr. Bellic (whom I was controlling) had too much to drink and was having trouble walking straight.

Unfortunately, I chose for him to drive his vehicle home despite him saying to me "I'm very drunk, I should take a taxi". During the drive I crashed into a number of vehicles/property/road signs and was seriously injured (the game refers to this situation as being "wasted"). I woke up in the hospital.

Another time, after a drinking session, I was pulled over by the police. They took me to the police station and fined me a large portion of the cash I was carrying and confiscated all my possessions (the game refers to these as "weapons").

Clearly, driving while drunk is not glorified in the game and is given a severe punishment. By playing this game and experiencing how difficult it is to drive after drinking alcohol, I can honestly say that if I am ever in that situation in real life, I will not even entertain the though of getting behind the wheel. Taxicabs are plentiful and a much safer way of getting home.

I applaud "Grand Theft Auto IV" and its creators "Rockstar North" on highlighting to the community the dangers of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and demonstrating the definite negative consequences.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXX

It could happen.

And yes, I have a lot of time on my hands at work!

You can also add that Niko constantly rejects offers to take drugs (Little Jacob) and drink at work (Mr Faustin) biggrin.gif
mwm
QUOTE(Thrilla in Manila @ May 1 2008, 01:56 AM) [snapback]1427517[/snapback]
lmfao, fuck killing random people for no reason simulated drunk driving is serious business.

HA i fuckin love you.

the truth right there
Shamrock Paul
QUOTE(bobert @ May 1 2008, 05:33 PM) [snapback]1428054[/snapback]
Saints Row is the older brother, and True crime is the mentally retarded crack baby that was left in a dumpster.

lmao laugh.gif
Xx Flare xX
They should change their names to

Stupidly Against Drink-drivers

When I was drunk ingame I spent most of my time laughing at Niko And Roman moving around to care about driving, although I did call a cab when my health was low.

I can't see why they complain about it. you get punished for doing it so....
Caliph
Its a game offering you the freedom to 'mix' getting drunk with the ability of driving. Its not encouraging anything, its simply giving you the freedom to mix different elements or features of the game together with facing severe consequences for every action you take.
Ben_500
Has any one noticed that these Mothers are a little thick, as "DRUNK DRIVING" is really bad english! Maybe they should try DRINK DRIVING or "Driving while DRUNK??? So if they cant even read and write why should they omment on other peoples mistakes. (Any mistakes in this posting are ironic, lol)

QUOTE(mwm @ May 2 2008, 09:45 PM) [snapback]1429009[/snapback]
QUOTE(Thrilla in Manila @ May 1 2008, 01:56 AM) [snapback]1427517[/snapback]

HA i fuckin love you.

the truth right there

Saints row is the older brother??????? GTA is like 10 years old maybe more now!
GtaKing343.
wtf XD.png i almost live near one
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.