Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PS3 warranty question
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
JustCuz
Does anyone happen to know the details of the manufacturer warenty? Is it worth it to buy an extended warranty? I was gonna buy a 360 today, but I've now got more then enough for a PS3 so I wanted to see what the warranty was like on it. Thanks in advance.
FrankCastle
It comes with a 1 year manufacturers warranty. If your system breaks they will replace it free of charge. Sony pays for shipping both ways and turn around time is fair. They send back a refurbished system that has been tested. They work fine, I currently have one myself.
One bad thing about the warranty is that they don't renew it when you receive the replacement system. So if you had the system for 3 months and it breaks, the warranty on the replacement will be 9 months (1 year minus the 3 months).
The worst part about their exchange process is their automated phone system. The only way they will replace your system is if you call them over the phone. Getting through is impossible most of the time. Then again... when was the last time you came across a good automated phone system?

I'm not sure if an extended warranty is worth it. It depends on how much longer it is extended and also how much it will cost you. If you get it from a store like best buy, it's good because you don't have to deal with Sony's customer support. You can go to your nearest best buy with a receipt and get a brand new system (so they say). Although it's good that you're getting the new system, you are paying the cost of the extended warranty for it. When dealing with Sony you don't pay a dime.
JustCuz
Thanks. I bought a PS3 from Best Buy earlier and got a two year extended warranty since my mothers got one on some stuff from there and hasn't had any trouble getting replacements when something goes wrong.
FrankCastle
Enjoy it! I know you will on Tuesday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.