Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saints row 2
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Other Games > Other Games
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Aridpheonix
i just got watching the trailers for saints row 2, the game is more destructive fun than serious gameplay. iv is all about the story mode, graphics, and extreme levels of detail. saints row is about "how many weapons and cars can we put in this game?"

my verdict on saints row 2: has nothing on GTAIV
Indy
It would be ridiculous comparing SR2 to IV (if the reviews are anything to go by). But I still believe the game has a lot to offer. The first SR brought about many new ideas which hadn't been done in any of the GTA series.
Sharpie Fetish
In my opinion saints row > GTA the main i liked is the freeroam and the physics were alot better i loved batting some old bitch with a baseball bat and she just flopping to the floor and robbing stores too really great freeroam parts
1UP
QUOTE(Cyantist @ Apr 26 2008, 01:54 PM) [snapback]1422679[/snapback]
In my opinion saints row > GTA the main i liked is the freeroam and the physics were alot better i loved batting some old bitch with a baseball bat and she just flopping to the floor and robbing stores too really great freeroam parts

You sure you was playing SR? physics were better because it was next gen only thing GTA had to compare was last gen GTA SA, which back then correct me if I am wrong things in SR (next gen), are things that was not able to be done in that type of game from last gen. SR had some shock value because there was no GTA for the new gen. City layout was awful, city itself was awful, they went to far with the gangster BS that it diluted any interest in many aspects. Yeah it was fun to blow things up on a next gen game, but SR was a lousy game. Given SR2 seems to be getting rushed, I am not expecting it to be worthwhile in the least. They saw a way to cut in on GTA popularity and took it.

Then again like your usual posts about games, I am guessing you said that just to get comments like this. ph34r.gif
Sharpie Fetish
Im not your average gamer

the graphics on a game can look straight offa a ZX Spectrum its the gameplay what matters and i dont go for the games people are like OMFG ITS SO GOOD! because i normally dont like those games
GTA ShutDown
clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

DUH
DiO
Comparing last gen games to next gen games its completely pointless. GTA IV is going to be 10× better than SR2. the first's sole reason was to be the 1st next gen sandbox, and it succeeded.
Zen
QUOTE(DJ-1UP @ Apr 26 2008, 11:00 PM) [snapback]1422894[/snapback]
QUOTE(Cyantist @ Apr 26 2008, 01:54 PM) [snapback]1422679[/snapback]

You sure you was playing SR? physics were better because it was next gen only thing GTA had to compare was last gen GTA SA, which back then correct me if I am wrong things in SR (next gen), are things that was not able to be done in that type of game from last gen. SR had some shock value because there was no GTA for the new gen. City layout was awful, city itself was awful, they went to far with the gangster BS that it diluted any interest in many aspects. Yeah it was fun to blow things up on a next gen game, but SR was a lousy game. Given SR2 seems to be getting rushed, I am not expecting it to be worthwhile in the least. They saw a way to cut in on GTA popularity and took it.

Then again like your usual posts about games, I am guessing you said that just to get comments like this. ph34r.gif

I found the city confusing as well.

Mind you, it was good for its time since it was the first GTA-esque game to be released Next-Gen.. That, and the multiplayer (which GTA lacked at that period of time) made the game a worthwhile play for a few months. Now that IV is released in over a day's time, it's going to completely flatten anything that SR2 is going to come up with since the period of time where we lacked a good sandbox game to play, both in general and online is gone.

If you understand where I'm coming from.
kaftka
It's a love-hate game Saints Row... I LOVED the Insurance Fraud games (for about 10 minutes)... I HATED the city though (which it seems they're using again. D'oh, how stupid can you be?), I loved the physics (there is no greater feeling than beating the shit out of a man dressed as a giant soda cup. Hilarious.) I hated the Story...

The little things for the most part, they seemed to get right. The minigames (if a little too repetitive), the explosions, the visuals (like little bits of paper littered around)... But the biggies... The guts of the game was what ruined it. I never finished the game (not sure if I even got close) because it was dull in the end. Once you got over the little stuff, the story just wasn't deep enough to make me want to keep me playing. Same can be said about the city. It was dull, and samey. That's something that R* seem to be champions at, level design. They can make various parts of the same city freel fresh and distinctive. Something Stilwater was lacking.

Furthermore, the humour was AWFUL. Whenever there was a joke on the radio, or on a billboard, or in a cutscene, I can't recall laughing once. Only cringing. It just wasn't funny. Freckle Bitches??!! How about something a little more subtle and less in your face?

Saints Row 2 has a lot to improve on... No doubt it should be a good game, but I highly doubt it will hold a candle to GTA IV.
Skinny 
Seeing as how disapointed I was with IV, I'm putting a lot of hope on SR2 (never played the first one).

Are they really reusing Stillwater city?
Indy
If they don't release a demo for this, i'm not buying it.
Pez
here a cool trailer! smile.gif
Saints Row 2
PhantomStranger
Saint's row is complete rubbish, the gangster stereotype is so ridiculously over portrayed that it becomes a joke.
Maybe it appeals to Americans?
Kuwong
QUOTE(PhantomStranger @ May 11 2008, 01:42 PM) [snapback]1433990[/snapback]
Saint's row is complete rubbish, the gangster stereotype is so ridiculously over portrayed that it becomes a joke.
Maybe it appeals to Americans?

Americans are founded on stereotypes, so yes. Now if you'll excuse me, One's British, so one must be off to meet the queen for afternoon tea and scones. One and one's man servant will take one's horse and carriage.
aussie_b8ler
comedy at it's best.

roll2.gif
PhantomStranger
And i'll throw a shrimp on the barbe and drink a few king brown's. wink.gif
Caliph
QUOTE(Gangsta™ @ May 11 2008, 01:25 PM) [snapback]1433956[/snapback]
Saints Row 2

That trailer is one reason why I think the game would be a major disappointment. Bar the stupid storyline, theres this really over-the-top unrealistic feeling about Stilwater thats hard to meet the eye. This whole Ultor organization makes it sound like one of those old Playstation2 games - the likes of Red Faction 1 & 2, for those who've played it. Stilwater's giving me the impression of a dictatorship, I hope Im wrong.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(Caliph @ May 14 2008, 11:55 PM) [snapback]1436072[/snapback]
Saints Row 2

That trailer is one reason why I think the game would be a major disappointment. Bar the stupid storyline, theres this really over-the-top unrealistic feeling about Stilwater thats hard to meet the eye. This whole Ultor organization makes it sound like one of those old Playstation2 games - the likes of Red Faction 1 & 2, for those who've played it. Stilwater's giving me the impression of a dictatorship, I hope Im wrong.

Ha, SR is made by the RF company.
So yeah.
I dunno, I enjoyed Saints Row a lot.Im really looking forward to the co-op story mode.
aussie_b8ler
i want it. i was a hater before, but seeing it in action makes my mouth water.

it looks like state of emergency meets gta 4. imo.
Caliph
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ May 15 2008, 09:13 AM) [snapback]1436080[/snapback]
QUOTE(Caliph @ May 14 2008, 11:55 PM) [snapback]1436072[/snapback]
Saints Row 2

Ha, SR is made by the RF company.
So yeah.
I dunno, I enjoyed Saints Row a lot.Im really looking forward to the co-op story mode.

Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Faction

Red Faction meets Saints Row 2. Ultor, LMAO! This game is gonna suck big time if it turns out to be another "lets save the world from the evil empire" sort of thing.
Vegera
I think Saints Row 2 is gonna be a good game, better than GTA IV? I dout it, but its possible, a snowballs chance, but a chance still. I'm looking forward to the CAC for SR 2, playing as a female could be interesting. And I'm mad at GTA IV for not leting us mod our cars, hopefuly SR 2 will let us. And lets hope they get a better sence of humor!
neko_ceko
Saints Row 2 preview:

1/1000
Indy
Saints Row was a good game, just too short. Sure there were plenty of problems, but I could easily highlight the problems in IV.
Vegera
I'm looking forward to this game, mostly because I'm disappionted in GTA IV (GTA San Anreas was better than GTA IV, there I said it). Hopefuly there will be more side missions, realistic or not, its a fucking video game who's really looking for realism, its ment to be fun! not real. Car moding, more races, more than two damn flying machines (no Hunter really GTA IV?), and a lot of cool guns. Oh, amd if I blow enough shit up send the damn Army after me!
DiO
Just watched the SR2 trailer. Its gimmiky but looks fun. The graphics are good, but they look like shit compared to IV.
Caliph
^I think the graphics would look alright once the game comes out, maybe not as realistic as GTAIV but certainly something well worth the wait. Also, the first Saints Row looked great so Im sure it could only get better (not worse).
Sharpie Fetish
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ May 21 2008, 03:29 AM) [snapback]1439015[/snapback]
The graphics are good, but they look like shit compared to IV.

Lets have a look at one of the greatest games ever made released back in 1993 for the pc the game is called Doom

Back then this was fucking epic this was Crysis pc's couldnt run it and naturally it was shittily ported to every console out and the time and put on the next couple of consoles after that
kids nowadays would but it down for having blocky visuals but back then anyone who called it shit was crazy the game was amazing graphics dont stand for shit in games (kids think they do) its the gameplay that does whats the main problem in IV?

It has great visuals and a decent story but after that story what was left to do? Getting 100% and playing multiplayer

Saints row had a lot of things to do after 100% The multiplayer is awesome and the story was really interresting Albeit a short one

Caliph
^Thats a weak argument, I still cant believe some people out there are asking what to do after they finish GTAIV. Heres a thought, turn off your console and perhaps take a break from video games? Besides, GTA is a sandbox video game so there are plenty of things to do after you finish the storyline. For one thing, the multiplayer matches would keep you busy for a long time. Secondly, theres downloadable content thats coming out in the near future. Thirdly, you could simply cruise around the city. Think about it, you can visit nightclubs, restaurants, hospitals, etc. You can work as a police man, you can fly a helicopter and enjoy the scenery, you can drive a power boat down the waterways, etc. This game is open-ended, yet people are asking what to do when they finish the storyline? What would you have done had you finished Call of Duty or Crysis? Again, this game has many sandbox elements that makes the thought of not knowing what to do look rather hilarious. Finally, Id like to repeat what I said earlier in my post. If you dont know what to do then obviously youve spent too much time playing the game. Take a break, and eventually youll see yourself going back to the game.
DiO
QUOTE(Cyantist @ May 22 2008, 03:35 PM) [snapback]1439941[/snapback]
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ May 21 2008, 03:29 AM) [snapback]1439015[/snapback]
The graphics are good, but they look like shit compared to IV.

Lets have a look at one of the greatest games ever made released back in 1993 for the pc the game is called Doom

Back then this was fucking epic this was Crysis pc's couldnt run it and naturally it was shittily ported to every console out and the time and put on the next couple of consoles after that
kids nowadays would but it down for having blocky visuals but back then anyone who called it shit was crazy the game was amazing graphics dont stand for shit in games (kids think they do) its the gameplay that does whats the main problem in IV?

It has great visuals and a decent story but after that story what was left to do? Getting 100% and playing multiplayer

Saints row had a lot of things to do after 100% The multiplayer is awesome and the story was really interresting Albeit a short one

The graphics merely reflect the amount of effort put into a game. These movie-video games mostly have crap graphics and the gameplay follows with more crap. SR2 might have more side missions that will get old quick but dont say IV's problem is gameplay. The core of the gameplay, the action, is fucking amazing. Im replaying the storyline again because these shoot outs and action sequences are much more rewarding than cheesey side missions. That and to see the second ending.

Also.......what Caliph said.
Indy
Graphics can directly affect gameplay. Though I see where you're coming from.
Vegera
I think graphics are kindof important to a game. They really arn't what makes a good, but they can turn a good game into a great game. Look at some of they great games to come out recently; GTA IV, Halo 3, COD 4, Bioshock now if thoughs game had sub-par graphics would they really be as loved by fans? No, they sill would have made millions, but they would be mostly rentals.

Back to Siants Row2, I hope they do put in car moding, because as an uber nerd in Saints Row1 I would mod my cars like the transformers movie cars. I know "nerd!! nerd!!" but it was cool to drive around in bumblebee, jazz and ironhide. Oh, and if you don't know who they are "dork!! dork!!" to you.
KKrog
I think that Saints Row has what Gta IV misses. Planes, player customization, vehicle customization even crib customization. You can get tattoos, haircut, the customization is endless. You can even play as a female with a mans voice or opposite. BUT SR will never beat IV when it comes to gameplay, story, it will only beat it in "Things to do after 100%"
Vegera
Hopefuly we can pick up hookers in Saints Row 2. It sucked in Saints Row 1 to walk or drive by a hooker, they ask you if you want a "date" then walk away. What happened to the ho's we snatched in the snatched missions? And think Saints Row 2 may have the first lesbian main character! (in the CAC you can choose to be female)
NIGGALICIOUS
I'm buying Saints Row 2. It looks fun. Graphics look kinda shitty for next Gen, like compared to GTAIV, but it looks insane, not very realistic or anything. It looks like Saints Row 2 picks up where San Andreas left off. I know I'm going to enjoy this game.
asthenia
I don't mean to offend anyone with this, but to be honest, to me SR2 just looks like a game that hasn't been properly textured yet.
NIGGALICIOUS
almost looks ps2-ish to me
grimace619
this game looks like PS2 /PS1 visuals !
Caliph
Believe me, the graphics are the least of our problems. This game looks like its going to take the turn into some sci-fi adventure in the near future. Then there'd be no sense comparing the series to Grand Theft Auto.
Vegera
Hey! If you have already made up your minds that Saints Row 2 is going to be crap, don't come into or post in the Saints Row 2 thread, OK? You don't like the game, so, please piss off if all your going to do is bad mouth!

On a different note, I really can't wait to get my hands on this game.
aussie_b8ler
i don't know if this has already been said but this is only saints row 2.

there have been nearly 10 gta's, and rockstar has still not got it perfect yet.

saints row is doing fucking marvelously well for only it's second installment.
DiO
QUOTE(J~D @ Jun 6 2008, 02:21 AM) [snapback]1445546[/snapback]

It has nothing to do with how many there are. They output of these games are 2× as fast as GTA and that is why the quality suffers.

It might have side missions that will be fun for about 3 mins but I can assure story quality, voice acting and the overall presentations will likely be atroshious. The map structure will have little though into it and it will have an overall lack of atmosphere. I can alreay tell the game has no class form the recent attack ad they run on GTA IV.
Vegera
You promise? You play the game?...no? Who are you to make these promises? Some loser fanboy? Are you buttbudies with the assgoblin who rated the game 1/1000? Honestly you don't see me in the Gears of War 2 topic saying it going to be a bigger steamyer pile of crap than the first one do you?
1UP
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jun 6 2008, 02:07 AM) [snapback]1445557[/snapback]

It has nothing to do with how many there are. They output of these games are 2× as fast as GTA and that is why the quality suffers.

It might have side missions that will be fun for about 3 mins but I can assure story quality, voice acting and the overall presentations will likely be atrocious. The map structure will have little thought into it and it will have an overall lack of atmosphere. I can already tell the game has no class form the recent attack ad they run on GTA IV.

I have to agree, thing is there using shock value, an little kids that shouldn't have the game in the first place will be hyping it with "omg you can do this in it, it'll be so fun!". From what I seen from videos, its very clear there pushing on shock only, it'll prolly be fun for a little while then die off from it being so lack luster. After playing GTA IV I wouldn't wanna play in such a horrible city layout and atmosphere its inexcusable how there just throwing a game together again with shock advertisements. I didn't even make it threw SR1 more then maybe 10 hours of play time before I got bored of that bad quality. Nothing I seen on this one shows it improving anything but the only upside of the game shock value.

That GTA attack ad is only adding to the point really. People jump all over it like there taking on GTA, they know they wont come close to being better (well in anything really, sales, quality ect), there just using it for hype. That tells me they don't care to make a good game. This isn't one of the "O its a GTA clone" thing, there making this game for the very reason of making money off GTA Hype, not to make a game in the same genre. They have no innovation or style, just crap.

If you like SR I don't care, I just stated exactly what there doing, you can like SR if you want.
Sharpie Fetish
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jun 6 2008, 08:07 AM) [snapback]1445557[/snapback]

It might have side missions that will be fun for about 3 mins but I can assure story quality, voice acting and the overall presentations will likely be atroshious. The map structure will have little though into it and it will have an overall lack of atmosphere. I can alreay tell the game has no class form the recent attack ad they run on GTA IV.

What would you know you own a ps3 the fact your getting a sequel to it is a load of bollocks ps3 didnt want it first time round now theyve seen tis got bigger they want it? They shouldnt get it

QUOTE(Vegera @ Jun 6 2008, 08:31 AM) [snapback]1445559[/snapback]
You promise? You play the game?...no? Who are you to make these promises? Some loser fanboy? Are you buttbudies with the assgoblin who rated the game 1/1000? Honestly you don't see me in the Gears of War 2 topic saying it going to be a bigger steamyer pile of crap than the first one do you?

Assgoblin lol... He hasnt played the game he owns a ps3
1UP
QUOTE(Cyantist @ Jun 6 2008, 02:05 PM) [snapback]1445728[/snapback]
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jun 6 2008, 08:07 AM) [snapback]1445557[/snapback]

What would you know you own a ps3 the fact your getting a sequel to it is a load of bollocks ps3 didnt want it first time round now theyve seen tis got bigger they want it? They shouldnt get it

QUOTE(Vegera @ Jun 6 2008, 08:31 AM) [snapback]1445559[/snapback]

Assgoblin lol... He hasnt played the game he owns a ps3

That sounds irrelevant, There ad campaign can tell them that alone, an I'm someone that has played the first one. An if someone thought the storyline, voice acting, or even quality in SR1 was good, then wow is all I can say. It lacked some basic things that last gen games were able to pull of wonderfully. Dont give me gameplay bs, as that suffered big time because of the lack of quality. When the game comes out it will say anything that needs to be said for the series if they don't improve on there mistakes, from what it looks like so far they haven't.

It was never about if PS3 wanted it so you can stop the bit of fanboyism there its not that hard to figure it out rationally, also its likely the first one wasn't on PS3 because they didn't see it as beneficial to profit from at the time. Now that the PS3 has the fan base set it will be profitable. Thats assuming it wasn't one of the games ms paid crap ton of money for back then. Many games now are going on both consoles now that those factors are no longer a problem.
aussie_b8ler
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jun 6 2008, 07:07 AM) [snapback]1445557[/snapback]

what do you mean it has nothing to do with how many there are?

that is how games get better. you build and improve off the previous ones.

one campany has 15 years of experience while the other only has a few.

all saints row 2 has to go on is what worked and did not work in the original.

for what is has to work with saints row 2 is shaping up to be a good game.

DiO
QUOTE(J~D @ Jun 6 2008, 05:03 PM) [snapback]1445780[/snapback]
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jun 6 2008, 07:07 AM) [snapback]1445557[/snapback]

what do you mean it has nothing to do with how many there are?

that is how games get better. you build and improve off the previous ones.

one campany has 15 years of experience while the other only has a few.

all saints row 2 has to go on is what worked and did not work in the original.

for what is has to work with saints row 2 is shaping up to be a good game.

Ture to a certian extent. However when they first started in the 3d world of GTA III it was pretty much their first of the type and it was up to par for the generation. Saints Row certianly doesn't seem up to par. Im sure the game will be fun, im just saying this game is EA worthy.
Skinny 
QUOTE(J~D @ Jun 6 2008, 04:21 PM) [snapback]1445546[/snapback]

That's because GTA did well. Most people only bought Saints Row to keep them satisfied until IV.
1UP
QUOTE(Skinny. @ Jun 7 2008, 03:03 AM) [snapback]1445933[/snapback]
QUOTE(J~D @ Jun 6 2008, 04:21 PM) [snapback]1445546[/snapback]

That's because GTA did well. Most people only bought Saints Row to keep them satisfied until IV.

Thats what I was thinking aswell, but I decided to rent it instead of buying. Which turned out to save me money from buying a crappy game. If the game had better quality along with its features it could do well, but they simply didn't. I also never saw such a horrible story/voice acting in my life. SR2 looks exactly the same as the last one only more features. Tells me ill get bored of it in less then 10 hours like the last one.

Also I don't think it being the second installment means anything, it only did for GTA because they did it first to that extent, it was a new genre at that time really. SR shouldn't be thrown a bone, the ideas of making that kind of game is very well known now. There are no excuses for how poor the first one was, an what this one seems to be shaping up the same, new features will not last you very long till your bored when its the same game they gave us last time.

If D-O knows or don't know what hes talking about, he is right about this game. =\
aussie_b8ler
QUOTE(DJ-1UP @ Jun 7 2008, 05:15 PM) [snapback]1445993[/snapback]
If D-O knows or don't know what hes talking about, he is right about this game. =\

is that your way of saying i am wrong. lol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.