Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about XBox 360
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
JustCuz
I'm planning on buying a 360 soon and was wondering if the RROD has been fixed on newer consoles or do they all run the risk of getting it still? Thanks in advance. smile.gif
HB~Sauce
The RROD hasn't been completely fixed in the newer consoles, but they are more reliable than launch ones. I don't know the exact percentage but its still higher than the Wii's or PS3's 1-3% failure rate.
Lee
The very latest consoles, as of this year, have the 65nm falcon chip in them. As far as I am aware, none of these have been reported to have red ringed. The best thing to do is read up about the consoles in the Hardware Forum on xbox.com.

The launch consoles had a single copper ring, that you could see when you looked through the air vents, these consoles had a very bad failure rate, this was then changed to two rings which was better and then they I think they changed it to 3 rings with the Falcon Chip.

There are various models available, I currently have an Elite which unfortunately has the 2 rings and not the three. I've had it about 6 months with no problems. My first console lasted 12 months and 10 days before it got the RROD, just out of replacement Warranty with Game (UK) so I had to send it for repair with Microsoft. Repair takes about 4 weeks normally and if the fault is the RROD it is covered by a Microsoft extended warranty so doesnt cost you anything except the lost playing time.

My advice for buying a new console is to make sure you get a good warranty deal, standard UK warranty is 12 months replacement in store if the product fails. This means that you can simply take it back to where you bought it and they will give you another one straight away.
JustCuz
Could anyone recommend a store that honors their extended warranty's good? I was thinking either Best Buy, Gamestop or Walmart. I live in Iowa if that'll help.
Ophis-
I was going to post this question myself today.

I bought an brand new X360 which came to me 2 days ago. How can i tell if mine has the '3 rings' and less likly to RROD me?
Lee
QUOTE(Liquidice @ Apr 25 2008, 02:28 PM) [snapback]1421387[/snapback]

I bought an brand new X360 which came to me 2 days ago. How can i tell if mine has the '3 rings' and less likly to RROD me?

Look at that link I posted earlier to the hardware forums. There is a pinned topic called something like "How to see if you have the 65nm Falcon chip." It explains how you shine a torch through the air vents on the bottom (assuming it's stood up and not lay flat), if you see a a big copper pipe it's one of the older ones, and if you see 2 coil rings (about 2 cm diameter) instead of 3, you've got one of the older ones. Read that topic, check your following their guide and then post back and let us know. Good luck.
grimace619
also the wattage on the Power brick if ures in 200 you have old non falcon mobo, if yours is around 180-170 its a falcoN!
BikerMatt13
I think the whole rrod thing has been blown out of proportion. Its like when people think of a 360 they automatically think it will get rrod. Even if an xbox does get rrod, microsoft has really stepped up in how they handle the problem. For some reason, even when people get rrod they still keep their xbox and still buy games for it, i wonder why? Neways, I dont want to start a console war, but it seems like everyone who currently doesnt have a ps3 or 360 and is in the market for one is holding rrod against 360 which they shouldnt. Both systems are great and both have strengths/weaknesses. By the way, 3 days!!
Lee
Microsoft have the 3 year extended warranty because it's a known fault. The only downside is that, if it happens to you, you lose your console for about a month. I lasted about 2 weeks then went and bought a new one, sold the other one as soon as it came back from repair.
JustCuz
I'm not all to worried about getting the rrod, just wanted to be prepared if it was still happening so I don't "accidentally" throw it out the window and into the middle of traffic. tongue.gif
Lee
QUOTE(grimace619 @ Apr 25 2008, 03:35 PM) [snapback]1421431[/snapback]
also the wattage on the Power brick if ures in 200 you have old non falcon mobo, if yours is around 180-170 its a falcoN!

This has been proven to be false if your read those forums I linked to. You can't even go off batch number. People with the new chips posted their batch numbers so when people were buying they looked for certain batch numbers but it turned out not every one got the new chips.
Ophis-
QUOTE(BikerMatt13 @ Apr 25 2008, 03:42 PM) [snapback]1421437[/snapback]
I think the whole rrod thing has been blown out of proportion. Its like when people think of a 360 they automatically think it will get rrod. Even if an xbox does get rrod, microsoft has really stepped up in how they handle the problem. For some reason, even when people get rrod they still keep their xbox and still buy games for it, i wonder why? Neways, I dont want to start a console war, but it seems like everyone who currently doesnt have a ps3 or 360 and is in the market for one is holding rrod against 360 which they shouldnt. Both systems are great and both have strengths/weaknesses. By the way, 3 days!!

I realy wished you didn't even mention the word PS3 or 'console war' because i see some daft c*nt starting one now. And i would like this topic staying open because i'm not home to check my console out yet.. . . Plus its pretty usefull.

I'll post back here when i know which 360 i have.

EDIT: Just checked, i seem to have the one with the two copper pipes, which means i guess its a fairly new version but not that new. I didnt even realise that there is a vent so large ON THE BOTTOM... how fucking thick are MS for putting vents at the bottom? lol, I'm always going to keep my xbox on its side from now on.
Lee
QUOTE(Liquidice @ Apr 25 2008, 04:15 PM) [snapback]1421462[/snapback]
QUOTE(BikerMatt13 @ Apr 25 2008, 03:42 PM) [snapback]1421437[/snapback]

I realy wished you didn't even mention the word PS3 or 'console war' because i see some daft c*nt starting one now. And i would like this topic staying open because i'm not home to check my console out yet.. . . Plus its pretty usefull.

I'll post back here when i know which 360 i have.

EDIT: Just checked, i seem to have the one with the two copper pipes, which means i guess its a fairly new version but not that new. I didnt even realise that there is a vent so large ON THE BOTTOM... how fucking thick are MS for putting vents at the bottom? lol, I'm always going to keep my xbox on its side from now on.

I always have mine on it's side, people on the xbox forums suggest you should have it that way to prolong your xbox's working life. Sorry to hear you haven't got the very latest model, I think they're still quite rare and there's no gauranteed way to get one. My two ring model has been working fine and as long as you've got a decent warranty you'll be fine.
ConQueSteD
QUOTE(Liquidice @ Apr 25 2008, 09:28 AM) [snapback]1421387[/snapback]

it flashes when you turn it on in red instead of green not only that but you cant do anything on it then
Full Metal Monkey
Ive had one RRoD and it happened gradually. I got one of the original batch of 360's so i know what type of chip ive got but since ive sent it off to Microsofts Repair center ive had no problems.

I waited about a week and a half to get mine back. Got a nice report saying that the motherboard had died and they replaced it and tested it. I was given a complimentary 1month free trial of XBL.

My mate was really unlucky. I convinced him to get a 360 and i drove him to Wimbledon to buy one. Took him back to his place, set up the Xbox and it was a dud. It didn't work out of the box.

Took it back same day (i wasn't happy as i was eating petrol) swapped it over and set that one up and it worked perfectly. Hes had no problems since.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.