Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Half truths or full blown lies?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
plj
So I thought we'd discuss things said on the campaign trails. For a disclaimer, I am an independent but I like McCain. I didn't support Bush or the war, but feel like now that we're there we need to do what we can to leave with as much honor possible and hopefully an ally. I am a veteran of the AF and did my time from Jan '01- Dec '04.

So here is the first lie I've noticed-

Both Dems have said that McCain "wants" us to be at "war for 100 years" in Iraq. I saw the speeches that McCain made his "100 years" quote and when you get the whole quote, it sounds much different than what the Dems are saying. Essentially, McCain has said that we "could be" there for 100 years, "in the same way that we are in Germany, Japan, and Korea." We've been in Germany and Japan since the end of WWII and we've been in Korea since the 1950's. Our bases in Korea are highly guarded and tensions are high; so much to the point that when shots are fired, they know how many. McCain, due to his experience no doubt, has said that it's not about troop levels but it's about casualties. The reason why people aren't marching in the streets saying we should leave those places is because we aren't taking casualties there. In fact, the overseas duty (in non-hazardous areas of course) is a selling point for the military.

Taken from http://hnn.us/articles/3097.html-

"According to the Defense Department's annual "Base Structure Report" for fiscal year 2003, which itemizes foreign and domestic U.S. military real estate, the Pentagon currently owns or rents 702 overseas bases in about 130 countries"

So what McCain is saying is not only logical, but has historical precedent. In fact, an argument could be made that WWII happened in part because Germany was left unchecked after WWI.

So seeing the context of what McCain said, how can both Clinton and Obama say that he is talking about being at war for 100 years? Both are highly educated, intelligent people. So there are 2 options-

1) They are lying.
2) They are misinformed by their "advisors." This seems less probable because of how many times they've repeated it.

So essentially, they are banking on and taking advantage of ignorant people. It saddens me to see their supporters have an uproar of applause and "hootin' and hollerin'" when they bring up this "point." I also find it ironic that Obama has been the main propagator of this lie while saying that he is not about the "old politics" of fear. He is playing off the fear of people who wouldn't want a 100 year war (no one I can think of does) by misquoting and taking out of context to the point that it could be considered completely false and libelous. If they reject the quote in it's context, then I expect them to lay forth their plans of shutting down those 702 bases we have overseas.

We can discuss this issue and if anyone else notices some full blown lies or half truths from the campaigns they'd like to discuss, feel free to post them here.
new major on the block
I agree totally! It is to organize their party base to collect votes and thats all. I think Kinky Freedman said that the word politics broken down is:

Poly, meaning more than one and tics, meaning blood sucking insects.

And thats sure how they all act like on the campaign trail is a bunch of blood sucking insects.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(FreemanXtreme @ Mar 8 2008, 06:11 PM) [snapback]1398016[/snapback]
So, I changed my name on here to FreemanXtreme so matches my name on Xbox Live and my blog and other stuff I use that name on. I know I am not as active as I was back in the day, but my spirit will always be here, watching you... masturbate. Remember that.

QUOTE(plj @ Mar 10 2008, 06:43 PM) [snapback]1398362[/snapback]
So I thought we'd discuss things said on the campaign trails. For a disclaimer, I am an independent but I like McCain. I didn't support Bush or the war, but feel like now that we're there we need to do what we can to leave with as much honor possible and hopefully an ally. I am a veteran of the AF and did my time from Jan '01- Dec '04.

So here is the first lie I've noticed-

Both Dems have said that McCain "wants" us to be at "war for 100 years" in Iraq. I saw the speeches that McCain made his "100 years" quote and when you get the whole quote, it sounds much different than what the Dems are saying. Essentially, McCain has said that we "could be" there for 100 years, "in the same way that we are in Germany, Japan, and Korea." We've been in Germany and Japan since the end of WWII and we've been in Korea since the 1950's. Our bases in Korea are highly guarded and tensions are high; so much to the point that when shots are fired, they know how many. McCain, due to his experience no doubt, has said that it's not about troop levels but it's about casualties. The reason why people aren't marching in the streets saying we should leave those places is because we aren't taking casualties there. In fact, the overseas duty (in non-hazardous areas of course) is a selling point for the military.

Taken from http://hnn.us/articles/3097.html-

"According to the Defense Department's annual "Base Structure Report" for fiscal year 2003, which itemizes foreign and domestic U.S. military real estate, the Pentagon currently owns or rents 702 overseas bases in about 130 countries"

So what McCain is saying is not only logical, but has historical precedent. In fact, an argument could be made that WWII happened in part because Germany was left unchecked after WWI.

So seeing the context of what McCain said, how can both Clinton and Obama say that he is talking about being at war for 100 years? Both are highly educated, intelligent people. So there are 2 options-

1) They are lying.
2) They are misinformed by their "advisors." This seems less probable because of how many times they've repeated it.

So essentially, they are banking on and taking advantage of ignorant people. It saddens me to see their supporters have an uproar of applause and "hootin' and hollerin'" when they bring up this "point." I also find it ironic that Obama has been the main propagator of this lie while saying that he is not about the "old politics" of fear. He is playing off the fear of people who wouldn't want a 100 year war (no one I can think of does) by misquoting and taking out of context to the point that it could be considered completely false and libelous. If they reject the quote in it's context, then I expect them to lay forth their plans of shutting down those 702 bases we have overseas.

We can discuss this issue and if anyone else notices some full blown lies or half truths from the campaigns they'd like to discuss, feel free to post them here.

Oh, so this is like a "dirt" topic... where we try to catch where everyone running for political office has lied?
Hardcore Ottoman
What are you talking about Q?
Skinny 
Well, I know one american politican was giving a rally and said 'America is the light and hope for the human race'. Haha.

Also, I lol'd when someone on an American news channel said 'The winner of this election will be the leader of the free world'. Hahahahahahahaha, someone should tell them they're not the main country in the world, they may be the most powerful but that doesn't give their president office power in other countries.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(punxtr @ Mar 12 2008, 03:18 AM) [snapback]1398643[/snapback]
What are you talking about Q?

Did you read the first paragraph of his post.. he said he wants to talk about the campains, more specifically point out "lies or half truths"....
Hardcore Ottoman
Yes, but I'm having trouble understanding whether or not you are being sarcastic toward this topic.
plj
Yes. This thread is for showing lies done by political figures. But please don't make simple accusations. Try to build a case and prove the lie. In other words, don't just say, "Prez Bush said, 'blah, blah'!! He's such a liar!"
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(punxtr @ Mar 12 2008, 02:01 PM) [snapback]1398685[/snapback]
Yes, but I'm having trouble understanding whether or not you are being sarcastic toward this topic.

Leaning towards sarcastic.... I mean.. campains put there spin on stuff all the time so end the end it pretty much cancels out... Besides that... the media outlets need something to talk about 24 hours a day, and catching someone lying makes good TV fodder... i guess i'm just not sure where this topic will go..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.