Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sony Customer Service
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
FrankCastle
Before I begin... Please don't turn this into a Sony Vs. Microsoft battle or any other battle of that sort!
Feedback related to this is welcome. If you can answer the questions I would also appreciate it, otherwise stay out of the thread.

I was thinking of starting a poll but I really just want others opinions/feedback.

My questions are as follows:

Have you ever needed support for a Sony product? Which product and what was the result?

If your problem was solved, how specifically did you go about solving it? Did you have to call them, email, or go to a service center?

Did they give you any trouble? If so, how?

If you called their support line, was it constantly busy?

The reason I am asking is because I'm running out of patients with them. They helped me once but I was not really satisfied with the solution. So now that I'm asking for help again it is impossible to reach them all of a sudden.
My only option left is going to a local Sony retailer and giving them hell for it if they don't help. They can't push me to the side when I'm right in their face.

Thanks in advance
0bs3n3
None of my Sony stuff has ever broken/malfunctioned.
new major on the block
Nope, no problem except with my ps2 and that disc read error. I solved it by continuing to feed it the disc until it took it. And actually my sony 2.1 surround sound left speaker is starting to go out, but its also like almost six years old.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(new major on the block @ Feb 26 2008, 08:57 AM) [snapback]1395999[/snapback]
Nope, no problem except with my ps2 and that disc read error. I solved it by continuing to feed it the disc until it took it. And actually my sony 2.1 surround sound left speaker is starting to go out, but its also like almost six years old.

Oh yeah... I think every PS2 has that problem at some point in its life span. My old one had that and so I figured since it was broken I would have a look inside. When I was done with it, it wouldn't even turn on. I had to buy a new one anyway so it wasn't a big deal. About a year later I figured I would open the old one again and have a thorough look inside, so this time I took it apart completely and cleaned it up. When I put it back together it was working fine, even the disc read errors went away. So now I have two working PS2s and my PS3 replaced both of them.

Those were the PS2 days... if you had a problem you can fix it yourself. Now with the PS3 you have to deal with their customer support, which sucks because you can only reach them over the phone.

OMG, finally I didn't get the call back later message! Yaaaay. I talked to a rep and they told me I would go through the same process to get another replacement. So I spoke to the supervisor to get some sort of guarantee that I would not get another crap unit. I still didn't get the solution I hoped for or any type of compensation. The only thing she offered is to ship the new one fedex rather than UPS, which they have been getting complaints about. My question is, if you know that UPS is damaging your shipments why would you continue to use them? Its a load of BS! They said that because they had no other excuse. That's probably the #1 answer in their handbook, blame shipping. What are they going to say if I get another messed up one, fedex sucks to? Why don't they just admit that they suck?

Sorry for the venting. I hope this doesn't sound familiar to anyone. Honestly, no one deserves to go through this shit with Sony.
I'm still curious if anyone had any good experiences with Sony's support.
Pieface
I can't have trouble with my PS3, imported so void warranty sadly.
Kamahl
QUOTE(Pieface @ Feb 26 2008, 02:41 PM) [snapback]1396083[/snapback]
I can't have trouble with my PS3, imported so void warranty sadly.

same here, but it's kinda unfair cause they never officially launched it here so i got no option.
TheStig
Sony's customer support is relatively poor. They hire any average person who is willing to do the job and they have this database where they input your problem like a "FAQ" program. It's cheap, easy, and it does it's job for the majority of the people. It's a hit and miss if you get what you are looking for. Unlike customer service like Linksys, they are trained before being hired.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(MisterReyes @ Feb 26 2008, 04:44 PM) [snapback]1396116[/snapback]
Sony's customer support is relatively poor. They hire any average person who is willing to do the job and they have this database where they input your problem like a "FAQ" program. It's cheap, easy, and it does it's job for the majority of the people. It's a hit and miss if you get what you are looking for. Unlike customer service like Linksys, they are trained before being hired.

I think that the larger the company is, the worse their support is for a one on one basis. They throw everything into a big pot and hope that it gets sorted out rather than handling things personally. Small companies, take care of people on a more personal level.

If I really wanted to I probably could have gotten more out of Sony by giving that supervisor a harder time. If this next console they send is not working properly I will definitely take the time to give them as much hell as it takes before they start coughing up freebies.
TheStig
Well it sucks to be you seeing that PlayStation 3's failure rate is below 2%. Hell I have my 60GB since launch. I almost never turn it off. It's either playing music, playing Blu-Rays, watching videos, surfing the web, PSP remote play, or if I am not playing it, it's doing Folding@Home. I have it froze only twice since then. Not a hiccup or anything.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(MisterReyes @ Feb 26 2008, 10:24 PM) [snapback]1396181[/snapback]
Well it sucks to be you seeing that PlayStation 3's failure rate is below 2%. Hell I have my 60GB since launch. I almost never turn it off. It's either playing music, playing Blu-Rays, watching videos, surfing the web, PSP remote play, or if I am not playing it, it's doing Folding@Home. I have it froze only twice since then. Not a hiccup or anything.

I have the 60GB too. The thing froze on me completely and would not respond to anything. So my only option was to cut the power off using the switch in the rear. Ever since then it would no longer read any discs at all. That was my original system. It was working great until that day it froze. What did you do when yours froze? Did you shut it off using the standby button in the front or shut the power off using the switch in the rear?
DiO
To my experience, though ive never used any sony customer service, i find all customer services shit
TheStig
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Feb 26 2008, 09:48 PM) [snapback]1396206[/snapback]
QUOTE(MisterReyes @ Feb 26 2008, 10:24 PM) [snapback]1396181[/snapback]

I have the 60GB too. The thing froze on me completely and would not respond to anything. So my only option was to cut the power off using the switch in the rear. Ever since then it would no longer read any discs at all. That was my original system. It was working great until that day it froze. What did you do when yours froze? Did you shut it off using the standby button in the front or shut the power off using the switch in the rear?

Well you are not suppose to turn the main power off. Usually you hold the standby button. What it does is make sure all the data is safe before shut down and you will hear 3-4 beeps meaning it's a hard shut down. It states in the manual that never shut the main power switch when the HDD light is on. It corrupts data and sometimes the OS is my theory. They are usually quick at replacing your PS3 when you have a receipt. They send a box, you send it back, then they send a refurbished one in 1-2 weeks.
FrankCastle
Yeah, I understand you should not shut it off when the HD light is blinking. I tried shutting it down using the standby button in the front and waited to give it some time. Still it would not respond, so I was really left with no choice. I also made sure the HD activity light was off when I turned off the power. That sucks though, if powering down the system like that will completely destroy it that means it was designed poorly. Think about an actual PC. They sometimes turn off without being properly shut down and they usually boot right back up like nothing ever happened. Sony claims the PS3 is a computer... yeah... a really sensitive one. Lets face it, they don't put the best hardware into these things. If they did the prices would be way to high.

That's exactly how their exchange process works. They have a quick turn around time when they ship the refurb back. The process itself it not that bad at all. Trying to get in touch with them is a pain. Also the fact that they send out a refurb is not always that great either. Not that it was a big deal to me, but the one they sent was in worse cosmetic shape than my original. Nothing really bad, but it was noticeable. The thing that really bothered me was the faulty video output. That's what got me in the mess I was going through.

About that OS theory... I'm not so convinced that the OS is installed on the hard drive. It is a fact that you can replace the hard drive just as easily, if not easier than you would on a PC. On a PC the OS would have to be reinstalled back onto the new hard drive. But that's not the case with the PS3, all you have to do is boot up, format the new hard drive, and the system is ready to go. No OS reinstall, meaning that the OS is always there. My theory is that the OS is programmed into PROM or EPROM possibly within the system. The reason why it can't be ROM is because you would not be able to do firmware updates if it was ROM. Which brings me to another point. Firmware updates are downloaded to update the system... right? Firmware is used to update software usually permanently built into hardware... right? If the OS was in the hard drive it would not really be a firmware update, it would be more like a software patch/update. Understand what I'm getting at? Just think of it like a PC.
Indy
QUOTE(Dee-Oh @ Feb 27 2008, 08:47 PM) [snapback]1396402[/snapback]
To my experience, though ive never used any sony customer service, i find all customer services shit

amen to that.
Sky = shit
British Telewest = shit, they just send you to india
Logitech = shit, never replied to my emails lol
M$ = shit, even though they fixed my problem, was on hold for 30min
Dell = shit, india... again
I hate customer services.
Sharpie Fetish
I didnt have much problems with both my PS1 and ps2 I did have a little problem where i rang twice and had a Asian person who i couldnt understand but ended up taking it apart and fixing it myself

I like sony's gear its very sturdy and hard wearing
FailSafe
Well my mates dad was being really hypercritical and a tard over this tiny little problem with his HD-TV.

The cooling fan in the back of the tv made a little humming noise which was only noticeable when the volume was on 2 bars or below and he was like having a hissy fit with the sony tech man over the phone.

The tech men said it was a software issue (firmware really) and offered to fix it but they didnt come. So he had to haul it down to a sony repair shop himself.
TheStig
If you have a rear-projection HDTV, then that's normal regardless of the sound level. Slap him and tell him that I said that.
Pieface
Well if it wasn't usual don't blame him =/ It could of gone from that little thing to an even bigger thing and could of broke the TV =/
FrankCastle
I'm bringing this thread back to life... unfortunately not on a good note. The refurb that SCEA sent me almost a year ago now has the red light of death. The worst part is, the warranty is up after a year of my original purchase date, which for me was Q4 of 2007. I'm not giving up though, they sent me a system which died not even a year later, so they screwed me pretty hard. I'm about to go through their exchange process for a 3rd time. I'm sending them my service receipt which was dated 2/26/08 instead of my original purchase. Hopefully they don't give me any crap, if they do, I'll give them even more crap. And in order to screw SONY back I will send them one of my broken controllers with the system so they can send me a new one. I have had no luck with PS3s!
TwoFacedTanner
Well, I cant say anything about Sony, but when I called Microsoft, not only did I think that the person on the other end of the line was gonna try to sell me a slushee, but they told me everything I already knew. That my system needed repairs.
DiO
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Feb 14 2009, 09:56 AM) [snapback]1483989[/snapback]
I'm bringing this thread back to life... unfortunately not on a good note. The refurb that SCEA sent me almost a year ago now has the red light of death. The worst part is, the warranty is up after a year of my original purchase date, which for me was Q4 of 2007. I'm not giving up though, they sent me a system which died not even a year later, so they screwed me pretty hard. I'm about to go through their exchange process for a 3rd time. I'm sending them my service receipt which was dated 2/26/08 instead of my original purchase. Hopefully they don't give me any crap, if they do, I'll give them even more crap. And in order to screw SONY back I will send them one of my broken controllers with the system so they can send me a new one. I have had no luck with PS3s!

I just got that too. Have you tried that removing hard drive fix?
Ex-PS Fanboy
The disk tray on my PS2 broke, and my PS3 crashed. However I live about 15 minutes from a licensed Sony dealer, so I just drove there, dropped it off, and picked it up the next day.

Not trying to start anything, but that seems nicer than microsoft since my buddy sent his Xbox in and didn't get it back for 3 weeks.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Dee-Oh @ Feb 27 2008, 03:47 PM) [snapback]1396402[/snapback]
i find all customer services shit

FrankCastle
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Feb 14 2009, 10:55 PM) [snapback]1484065[/snapback]
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Feb 14 2009, 09:56 AM) [snapback]1483989[/snapback]

I just got that too. Have you tried that removing hard drive fix?

I have tried that but it didn't help at all. So I lost everything on there I didn't have a chance to backup. When I get me new system I'll find out exactly how much info I lost sad.gif

QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Feb 14 2009, 11:23 PM) [snapback]1484069[/snapback]
The disk tray on my PS2 broke, and my PS3 crashed. However I live about 15 minutes from a licensed Sony dealer, so I just drove there, dropped it off, and picked it up the next day.

Not trying to start anything, but that seems nicer than microsoft since my buddy sent his Xbox in and didn't get it back for 3 weeks.

SONY's turn around time is good, I can't complain about that. 3 weeks is unacceptable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.