Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The presidency
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
Severus Snape
The constitution of the united states has a provision by which the highest vote getter in the general election becomes president, while the second highest vote getter becomes the vice president. This could potentially (and should) result in candidates from multiple parties getting elected to the 2 highest posts in our country.

Unfortunately, this is not how the elections are done. The candidate for president chooses his/her running mate. Now, the last time I looked at the constitution there were no ammendments that made this way of doing the elections legal. So, my question is: Why is the current way of holding elections (candidates choosing their own running mates) not ruled unconstitutional?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the second highest vote-getter is supposed to be elected vice president, wouldn't choosing your own running mate go against the constitution and therefore be illegal?
OptimumPx
It was changed by the 12th Amendment in 1804.

The official way to do things after that was that the President was voted for specifically, and the Vice President was voted for separately from that.

However later on during the 19th century it became the norm for the President and Vice President to run together rather then separately but this doesn't officially break the rules because it works out that a vote for a specific ticket is a vote for both.
Hardcore Ottoman
Exactly. Whew, glad you didn't get into the electoral college! That's a bitch to defend.
Severus Snape
QUOTE(OptimumPx @ Feb 11 2008, 12:29 PM) [snapback]1393174[/snapback]
It was changed by the 12th Amendment in 1804.

The official way to do things after that was that the President was voted for specifically, and the Vice President was voted for separately from that.

However later on during the 19th century it became the norm for the President and Vice President to run together rather then separately but this doesn't officially break the rules because it works out that a vote for a specific ticket is a vote for both.

Which is exactly what I am talking about. What if I wanted to vote for a democratic president and a republican vice-president? By your statement above (and without re-reading the constitution which I need to do), it is still illegal to choose your running mate as you are not giving the American public the option to decide.
Hardcore Ottoman
Actually not a bad idea, but the VP is usually a man with little influence... that's why they put Teddy there during McKinley's presidency (and cooincidentally he died making Teddy the big P).

Seriously, the VP isn't much to vote for. Might as well have the two like-minded because the VP can't do much anyways. But here is what you are thinking of:

"The Constitution also prohibits electors from voting for both a presidential and vice presidential candidate from the same state as themselves."

And most know Cheney changed his legal residency from Texas to Wyoming before putting himself on the GWB ticket.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.