Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HDMI Cable
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
Flea
i'm going to buy a PS3 tommorow (i tryed today but got cought on the metro without a ticket, then they phoned the police so i just ran off from them lol) and i've heard a HDMI cable can make the picture quality better. How does a cable make the quality better? will i fit with all HDTV's? and does the it replace a cable that comes with the PS3?

whch one of these 3 would yous recomend getting?

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/advsearch.asp
psychÝ
It doesn't make it better, it is a different source.

No it won't work with all TV's only ones with an HDMI input.

If it doesn't come with an HDMI cable then yes.

You managed to link to a search page.

A cable is a cable, it will make no difference as long as it connects and doesn't snap.
Flea
ok thx. what if you set the settings on a ps3 to HD when only playing on a SDTV, will it make a differance, or if you get a HDTV which has resolution of 1440 x 900, would it be best to set it to 720p or 1080i or p?
FuddMan
No, a HD input on an SDTV won't make any difference.

Set it to the highest resolution the TV will give you a picture for, but if it only supports 1080i and not 1080p set it to 720p instead as you'll get a smoother image.

As I've said before, unless you have a TV bigger than ~36", you won't notice a difference between 720p and 1080p.
Flea
so since am just gunna get a 19inch HDTV i'll set it to 720p for the best picture...
Sheep
Not meaning to thread hijack, but wheres best to get HD/flat screen TV's from? Could have got one cheap cuz my mate worked in Currys in town, but he quit glare.gif
FuddMan
QUOTE( Sheep @ Jan 15 2008, 09:45 PM) [snapback]1386752[/snapback]
Not meaning to thread hijack, but wheres best to get HD/flat screen TV's from? Could have got one cheap cuz my mate worked in Currys in town, but he quit glare.gif

Anywhere on the net really. My parents and I got our Samsung HDTVs from Play.com because they sell them so much cheaper than other retailers (and I could use my UCAS card for an extra 5% off). I guess you could also try Amazon too.

In-store retailers tend to rip you off for no discernable reason. Like if you go into Comet you'll find the TVs in store are like £50-100 more expensive than their online price, and if you say you saw it cheaper on the website you can get it for that price in the store...why can't they just advertise the same price everywhere?
Pieface
Dabs do good cheap HDTV's from £300 for a 32" to £360 for a 37"
psychÝ
QUOTE(Pieface @ Jan 15 2008, 10:08 PM) [snapback]1386765[/snapback]

Not really, the contrast ratio is shit, cheap HDTV's are cheap for a reason.

If you are going to get one at least get a branded one as they are more expensive for a reason and check its specs.

You really want to find the cheapest one you can get and then add £100 to it so it is actually good.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(Flea @ Jan 15 2008, 09:16 PM) [snapback]1386747[/snapback]
so since am just gunna get a 19inch HDTV i'll set it to 720p for the best picture...

Thats probably the only hd resolution it will have.

QUOTE(psychÝ @ Jan 15 2008, 10:15 PM) [snapback]1386766[/snapback]

If you are going to get one at least get a branded one as they are more expensive for a reason and check its specs.

You really want to find the cheapest one you can get and then add £100 to it so it is actually good.

most LCD tv's have crappy contrast ratios.. its in their nature. I don't notice a huge difference between my $599 32inch insignia and the $1200 32inch bravia.. There is a difference, but its not huge.

The main difference is that insignia's TV has less HD inputs, less "design" (ie instead of a then black board, wide silver one), less brand-awareness ect.. the boards and screen themselves are very simular.
psychÝ
QUOTE(Qdeathstar @ Jan 15 2008, 11:17 PM) [snapback]1386782[/snapback]

Thats probably the only hd resolution it will have.

QUOTE(psychÝ @ Jan 15 2008, 10:15 PM) [snapback]1386766[/snapback]

most LCD tv's have crappy contrast ratios.. its in their nature. I don't notice a huge difference between my $599 32inch insignia and the $1200 32inch bravia.. There is a difference, but its not huge.
The main difference is that insignia's TV has less HD inputs, less "design" (ie instead of a then black board, wide silver one), less brand-awareness ect.. the boards and screen themselves are very simular.

It really isn't it is more like you can watch multiple channels at once and browse multiple channels in split screen when searching.

If you can't tell the difference between the contrast ratio, buy some glasses or something, really it is pretty obvious.

You can get 1080p TV's easily but they are expensive and in the UK the HDTV signal is never going to be more than 720p so unless you watch a lot of HD-DVD's or blu ray or use it a lot for the PS3 it is rather pointless.
Qdeathstar
It really isn't it is more like you can watch multiple channels at once and browse multiple channels in split screen when searching.

My insignia does split screen on multiple channels :-/ Pip, pop and spit screen on different channels and from different sources (IE I can watch TV and go on the computer at the same time).

Despite all that... how many people actually use Pip. I have it all my TV's .. i've used the feature once

If you can't tell the difference between the contrast ratio, buy some glasses or something, really it is pretty obvious.

Insignia's contrast ratio is 1000 to 1 ... and the Sonia Bravia is 1300 to 1.

Not that huge a difference.
psychÝ
Sony Bravia contrast ratio is 1800:1, and its dynamic is 8000:1

My point is made, it is nearly twice as good.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Jan 16 2008, 11:25 PM) [snapback]1386973[/snapback]
Sony Bravia contrast ratio is 1800:1, and its dynamic is 8000:1

My point is made, it is nearly twice as good.

the 32inch bravia's contrast ratio is 1300 to 1... look it up again :-/
psychÝ
1800:1
-spyder-

Are you going for the tv i linked for you a while back, the samsung one? That has a HDMI input and it does output full hd, well it does with my X360 so im sure it would with your PS3, but yeah you will definetly notice a difference even with that tv, it can output 1080p otherwise the screen wouldent show up
psychÝ
QUOTE(-spyder- @ Jan 22 2008, 05:59 PM) [snapback]1388360[/snapback]

It can output 1080p otherwise the screen wouldent show up

No it can it can show the signal, you don't see it as 1080p.

A black and white TV from the 1950's could show the signal, presuming you could connect it.
-spyder-
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Jan 22 2008, 06:07 PM) [snapback]1388362[/snapback]

It can output 1080p otherwise the screen wouldent show up

No it can it can show the signal, you don't see it as 1080p.

A black and white TV from the 1950's could show the signal, presuming you could connect it.

Ok well i thought it wouldent show up at all becasue the tv hasent got enough resoution to output it, because thats what happened when i had my old tv
Flea

Are you going for the tv i linked for you a while back, the samsung one? That has a HDMI input and it does output full hd, well it does with my X360 so im sure it would with your PS3, but yeah you will definetly notice a difference even with that tv, it can output 1080p otherwise the screen wouldent show up

i've been trying to decide what i'm gunna get, the samsung HDTV you posted or a monitor and buy speakers etc, but i think i'm gunna go with a TV, keep things simple, so its either gunna be the samsung you posted, or this phillips tv, but its £20 more, but supposedly has good sound quality, so i'm just trying to decide between those 2....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-19PFL4322-..._tit_14_rdssss2
Pecnut
Incidentally, Game (UK) do HDMI cable for £15 in-store: by miles the cheapest around.
FuddMan
QUOTE(Pecnut @ Jan 26 2008, 08:02 PM) [snapback]1390143[/snapback]
Incidentally, Game (UK) do HDMI cable for £15 in-store: by miles the cheapest around.

Cheap cables are poorer quality. If you go for the £60 per metre stuff you can't go wrong. I know, I've tried both.
Pecnut
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Jan 26 2008, 08:07 PM) [snapback]1390144[/snapback]

Cheap cables are poorer quality. If you go for the £60 per metre stuff you can't go wrong. I know, I've tried both.

I use the Game cable on my PS3 and HDTV, and the quality's pretty damn good still.
Gazz
As far as I knew, all HDMI cables were no different, whether it be £2 or £50, the reason being that its a digital input (not analogue) thus the cable quality made no difference...I could be wrong tho, heard this like 6 months ago.

-Gazz
psychÝ
QUOTE(Flea @ Jan 26 2008, 07:33 PM) [snapback]1390138[/snapback]

i've been trying to decide what i'm gunna get, the samsung HDTV you posted or a monitor and buy speakers etc, but i think i'm gunna go with a TV, keep things simple, so its either gunna be the samsung you posted, or this phillips tv, but its £20 more, but supposedly has good sound quality, so i'm just trying to decide between those 2....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-19PFL4322-..._tit_14_rdssss2

The speakers will still suck.
-spyder-
Yeah, but the sound output will sound different and you will probably get a more surround sound feel with the Phillips and would probably be abit better than the samsung i think
FuddMan
QUOTE(Gazz @ Feb 4 2008, 02:17 AM) [snapback]1391875[/snapback]
As far as I knew, all HDMI cables were no different, whether it be £2 or £50, the reason being that its a digital input (not analogue) thus the cable quality made no difference...I could be wrong tho, heard this like 6 months ago.

-Gazz

No, more expensive cables, like the Monster cable I use, are better, which stands to reason, otherwise they'd be the same price. They use better quality materials with fewer impurities, and use better insulation, so you get a better picture (especially when upscaling from SD) and sound.
Flea
QUOTE(-spyder- @ Feb 4 2008, 06:17 PM) [snapback]1391952[/snapback]
Yeah, but the sound output will sound different and you will probably get a more surround sound feel with the Phillips and would probably be abit better than the samsung i think

well i've decided i'm gunna go with the samsung, should be ordering it within the week.
-spyder-
Cool ok

But i never knew about the differnet types of costs for a HDMI, i thought there all around the same but i dont have a ps3 so i would'ent know
Flea
so the sound quality on the 19inch samsung, since its a t.v, it should have better sound quality than a 19inch monitor right? i'm not looking for the best in sound, but not the worst in sound either.
-spyder-
Yeah it should be but depends on the setup inside the tv, like i noticed on the phillips that the speaker looks and maybe is abit better i think because the speakers are abit bigger, and the samsung has something called a hidden speaker but its still good and can create abit of a surround sound feel and it sounds fine
psychÝ
QUOTE(Flea @ Feb 4 2008, 11:06 PM) [snapback]1391982[/snapback]
so the sound quality on the 19inch samsung, since its a t.v, it should have better sound quality than a 19inch monitor right? i'm not looking for the best in sound, but not the worst in sound either.

It is rather irrelevant as they are still crap, that is beside the point that the screen is smaller and more expensive anyway.
-spyder-
Yeah but I wouldent say there crap, the sound is ok, it couldent really be better in a tv that size anyways i would of thought and if it was than it would be alot more to buy
psychÝ
QUOTE(-spyder- @ Feb 4 2008, 11:46 PM) [snapback]1391998[/snapback]
it couldent really be better in a tv that size anyways i would of thought and if it was than it would be alot more to buy

That doesn't make them good.

Cheap is cheap for a reason.
Flea
bah, now i'm back to square one, pycho, when you say the sound is crap, could you go into a little bit more detail? is there absolutly no bass on the samsung or phillips T.V's?, like i say, i'm not looking for the best, i dont have the money.
psychÝ
QUOTE(Flea @ Feb 5 2008, 01:56 PM) [snapback]1392057[/snapback]
bah, now i'm back to square one, pycho, when you say the sound is crap, could you go into a little bit more detail? is there absolutly no bass on the samsung or phillips T.V's?, like i say, i'm not looking for the best, i dont have the money.

There is no Bass unless you have floorstanding speakers, a dedicated sub or bookshelf speakers dedicated to bass or on stands.

What I would advise is buying the the monitor then with the money saved say £30-50 or whatever, add an extra £50 and buy a average set of 5.1 speakers.

Yes it will cost more to get a monitor and surround sound, but you have surround sound, which will enhance many games especially if you play online as then for example you will be able to hear footsteps from a certain direction and with films it is just generally better.

I just can't see the point in buy a PS3 for X amount of money buy games for excessive amount and then using crappy speakers which means you pay for something and you aren't getting it when it is in the price.
Flea
so the hdmi cable, it really doesnt matter if i get a £20 Ps3 one or a £5 one?
FrankCastle
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Feb 4 2008, 02:08 PM) [snapback]1391956[/snapback]

-Gazz

No, more expensive cables, like the Monster cable I use, are better, which stands to reason, otherwise they'd be the same price. They use better quality materials with fewer impurities, and use better insulation, so you get a better picture (especially when upscaling from SD) and sound.

I have to agree with Gazz. HDMI cables carry completely digital signals. So the output going into your TV set is going to be ones and zeroes. You either get the signal or you don't. A more expensive HDMI cable will not give you better output than the cheaper one. That's what they want you to believe. The only time you would need a higher quality HDMI cable is if you need one over 130ft or 40 meters long. Don't believe me? Read this and read the comments too.
Check amazon, they have HDMI cables starting at $2 for 6ft.
FuddMan
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Mar 8 2008, 08:13 PM) [snapback]1398033[/snapback]

-Gazz

I have to agree with Gazz. HDMI cables carry completely digital signals. So the output going into your TV set is going to be ones and zeroes. You either get the signal or you don't. A more expensive HDMI cable will not give you better output than the cheaper one. That's what they want you to believe. The only time you would need a higher quality HDMI cable is if you need one over 130ft or 40 meters long. Don't believe me? Read this and read the comments too.

So can you explain why my picture is visibly better with the more expensive cable than it is with the cheaper one?
psychÝ
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Mar 8 2008, 08:31 PM) [snapback]1398035[/snapback]
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Mar 8 2008, 08:13 PM) [snapback]1398033[/snapback]

-Gazz

So can you explain why my picture is visibly better with the more expensive cable than it is with the cheaper one?

Exactly the same reason my friend thought McVitie's biscuits tasted better than Somerfield value ones, that was until we did a blind test and he got it wrong 3 times in a row.
TheStig
HDMI is all digital. It produces 0 and 1. You either get it or you don't. It's not like analog where RF can interfere and add noise. It's all pure. If you are a believer that more expensive cables are better, it's all psychological. You think that you are convinced it's better. Monster Cable vs $2 generic HDMI cable are the same. You are buying the brand name not the product. Also there is a cable out there that uses better materials and it will jack the price up to $20 but no way to enhance or degrade the audio or video. The only time you need those cables with better material is if you are running it for more than 15 feet. I have owned Monster Cable but reverted back to generic $7 HDMI cable that I got from www.monoprice.com. It has a good robust built. I use it with PlayStation 3, STR-DA5300ES A/V receiver, SXRD 1080p projector, Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray player, XA2 HD-DVD player, and other stuff. I tested them all and no difference. I test it with 1080p (along with HDMI 1.3 xvYCC color from HD camcorders) and 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, and 7.1 LPCM. No difference. Here's a link that's all about HDMI vs prices http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/marketplace/packing_the_deal.wmv.
FrankCastle
Duffman, I wouldn't go as far as telling you what you did or did not see but maybe your generic cable was a bad one. Maybe it is just defective. Testing a working product vs a broken product would not really be a fair comparison. I'm just throwing that out there because there are many many others that are testifying to just the opposite. Call me crazy but I go with the statistics.
FuddMan
I could understand if I was using my HDMI cable for HD signals, but I'm not. I'm using it to upscale SD signals and it's a lot better at doing it than the cheaper cable was. The squares where extra pixels have been added are barely noticable. With the cheaper one the whole screen was covered in them. If I still had the cable I'd dig it out and show you.
FrankCastle
Oh ok... you're talking about the SD signal. I was talking about the HD signal. Have you had the chance to compare HD with both cables?
lunasea
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Feb 4 2008, 07:08 PM) [snapback]1391956[/snapback]

-Gazz

yep better materials and insulation just means less interference which is ever so slightly noticeable with a decent HD tv.
Also its less resistance pure copper is better than some cheap nasty copper with 5-10 impurities.
Gold is the best conductor but come on who can afford gold cables lol.

its crazy where i am in canada even cheap nasty cables cost at least 30 bucks. An my dad went back to England just 6 months or so ago and got 5 HDMI cables for £5 each.
GTA~BOSS
so if i got a 52inch flat screen hdmi compatible. but not over 15 feet im set with just a stanard ps3 cable right? so me goin and buyin that expensive cable called hdmi isn't worth it? but what would i set my tv to for best picture quatlity
Swiift
QUOTE(Pecnut @ Jan 30 2008, 11:31 PM) [snapback]1391088[/snapback]
QUOTE(DuffMan @ Jan 26 2008, 08:07 PM) [snapback]1390144[/snapback]

I use the Game cable on my PS3 and HDTV, and the quality's pretty damn good still.

I got a mikomi 19" tv (from argos happy.gif) and bought the hdmi cable from game and it dosen't work...
i heard i have to get a rgb scart or something like that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.