Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WWI? More like WTF
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
0bs3n3
What the hell was World War One even about? It seems like the most stupid war in human history. Serbia kills Ferdinand so Germany and Austria-Hungary are having a go at them so Russia comes in (for the Serbs) which brings in France which (sort of) brings in England. Then the Ottomans just decide to declare with Germany. England drags in Australia, which is really stupid because the only reason England decided to fight was because their naval power was threatened by Germany (oh noez!1 Winston Churchill save us!). Why the hell did England get involved in the ground war? So Australia just decides to come over even though it set us back ages (effectively killed a whole generation, not too god for a 14 y/old country). Then later on America comes in because of that telegram they intercepted from the Germans asking Mexico to declare against America.

So then Russia quits after the revolution in 1917. So France has no reason to fight any more, but they still do. Most retarded 4 (or 5) years in human history. Anyway, discuss?
Amis
Europe tested how it actually would be like if everyone could do whatever they wanted, but then got bored of it in 4-5 years. There is no sense in it, but they just wanted to "free roam GTA style".
Zacko

From what I remember...

It was a lot more complex than what you've said (obviously), arms races, militarism, imperialism, the Balkans, the Franco-Prussian war etc etc all contributed to a general distrust and uneasiness to begin with.

Russia came in because they guarenteed Serbia protection and both countries shared Slavic brotherhood or something similar.

Britain sided with France for whatever reason - naval race and after helping Poland. Australia helped because of Britains empire and the commonwealth which inclued them. The USA comes in because of a couple reasons, their civilian ships being sunk (i.e the Lusitania even though it was British had Americans on board) and the Zimmermann telegram.
0bs3n3
Yes, I know that's why Australia came in. But we weren't even needed. I dunno, maybe because we still thought of ourselves as British then. But still, it all started with Serbia but ended in a massive mud pile in France completely disconnected from the origins.

If there was one good thing that came out of that war, it was The League of Nations...
Zacko
QUOTE(0bs3n3 @ Jan 8 2008, 10:04 PM) [snapback]1385264[/snapback]
Yes, I know that's why Australia came in. But we weren't even needed. I dunno, maybe because we still thought of ourselves as British then. But still, it all started with Serbia but ended in a massive mud pile in France completely disconnected from the origins.

If there was one good thing that came out of that war, it was The League of Nations...

I dunno, Britain and France were getting desperate and probably needed more troops. How come Australian, New Zealand troops etc are always bad ass ??
NCP
The war took so long, because they were fighting in trenches and everytime the frontline moves, you need to dig a new trench. Basicly with the technology of WW2, WW1 would be over in a year.
0bs3n3
WW2 was a continuation of the first anyway. It should really be called World War 1 pt 2 or something.
NCP
Yeah because Hitler couldn't stand that Germany lost the first, but he explained it with reasons such as that the Germans needed Lebensraum etc.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
It can prettymuch be summed up by 2 words: Fear and nationalism.
TwoFacedTanner
You should be proud your country served in a conflict like that.
Mekstizzle
World War One is what you get when you have stupid 19th century tactics with 20th century guns. I still can't beleive they made soldiers walk across fucking no mans land during the Somme and probably alot of other times.

/Facepalm

Oh yeah and all wars are stupid and unjustified, except WW2 in which fascism clearly was a threat to the world. And trust me before WW1 there are even worse examples.
0bs3n3
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Jan 12 2008, 07:42 AM) [snapback]1385804[/snapback]

I'm not proud of it, but I respect the soldiers who served their.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Jan 11 2008, 08:42 PM) [snapback]1385804[/snapback]
That's frankly ridiculous. Why should you be proud of your country fighting in a war where millions died for no reason other than petty nationalism?

That's the kind of baseless patriotism which would lead the world into another such conflict.

Please think about what you're saying before you blindly endorse a country's actions...

What on Earth could posess you to say such a thing -.-
BIG FUCKING SPIDER
Britain entered for two reasons -

1. They were in an Aliiance with France and Russia known as the Triple Entente, if Britain didn't obligate the Alliance it would be a embarresment and relations with France in the future would be hindered.

2. In the 1830's when Belgium became independent, Britain signed the treaty of London in which guranteed Belgiums independance. Fast forward 75 years and the main objective of the Germans in WW1 was to knock out France by invadiing through Belgium. Belgium didn't let them pass without a fight and went to war with Germany, and thus Britain did in accordance with the Treaty of London.

Aussies back then saw themselves as British, and would therefore fight for Britain. Australian troops were mainly used in the Pacific and against the Ottamans. Australian Nationalism came about during the war.
Skinny 
All wars are pretty much pointless with the excepton of WWII wich brought order and stop countrys leaders from doing whatever they want.

It sounds naive, but the world be a better place if the world's leaders just got together and watched the footy together?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.