Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teacher jailed for teddy bear name.
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
TwoFacedTanner
KHARTOUM, Sudan (Nov. 29) - A British teacher in Sudan was convicted Thursday of the less-serious charge of insulting Islam for letting her pupils name a teddy bear "Muhammad," and was sentenced to 15 days in prison and deportation to Britain, one of her lawyers said.

Gillian Gibbons could have received 40 lashes and six months in prison in the case if found guilty of the more serious charge of inciting religious hatred and given the maximum penalty.

In London, the Foreign Office said it was "extremely disappointed with the sentence," adding that Foreign Secretary David Miliband summoned the Sudanese ambassador to explain the verdict.

Gibbons, 54, was arrested Sunday after complaints to the Education Ministry that she had insulted Prophet Muhammad, the most revered figure in Islam, by applying his name to a teddy bear.

She was found guilty of "insulting the faith of Muslims in Sudan" under Article 125 of the Sudanese criminal code, a less-serious charge than the original count of inciting religious hatred, said Ali Mohammed Ajab, a member of her defense team.

The charge later was confirmed by a judge who was leaving the closed court session.

"I feel this is very serious and very unfair," Ajab told The Associated Press outside court. Ajab, who also works for the Khartoum Center for Human Rights, said the issue was raised by "hard-liners who are always trying to make some noise," in an apparent reference to religious conservatives.

Ajab said his center would appeal the verdict.

Gibbons' employer, Robert Boulos of the Unity High School, called it "a very fair verdict."

"She could have had six months and lashes and a fine, and she only got 15 days and deportation," Boulos said. He noted that she would only spend 10 days in prison, having already served five.

Gibbons is expected to serve her sentence in the Omdurman women's prison near Khartoum.

Religious conservatives in Sudan were outraged by the naming of the teddy bear, and defense lawyers reported receiving death threats.

"I am threatened, that's why I'm carrying a gun in court," defense lawyer Abdel Khalig Abdallah said, opening his coat to reveal a revolver during a break in the trial.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-11-29 15:51:11

OK. Am I the only one who find thats ridiculous.
The kids from what I can gather are Muslim. Sure, but aren't there some Middle Easter men with the same name as the prophet?
I know there are.
That pisses me off.
A lot of people have the name Emmanuel, thats another name for Jesus.
Hell, some people even have the name Jesus.
Not saying Christians don't bitch...but seriously.
Anything people can find to bitch about these days they will.

Including me.
Marneyo Juano
The fuck? From what I've read she named him muhammad, and not "PROPHET muhammad", and that's a very common arabic name.
Fucking muslims are just looking for reasons to yell that they're being discriminated by the western culture. Pure bullshit.
reform
I don't think you'll find a single Muslim outside of Sudan that agrees with this, The Sudan government has thier people branwashed.
Austin
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7121025.stm

"Thousands of people have marched in the Sudanese capital Khartoum to call for UK teacher Gillian Gibbons to be shot."

What the fucking hell is wrong with these people? Do they have absolutely no sense of reason at all?
reform
QUOTE(reform @ Nov 30 2007, 12:13 PM) [snapback]1377389[/snapback]
The Sudan government has thier people branwashed.

Marneyo Juano
I'd say people should do more staire on muslims, cause that'll make them jump around in blind rage, not knowing what to do with themselves, and that could lead to somemustakes from their side. Which will be fun.
For fucks sake, Muhammad is a very common name, there are alot of RETARDED KIDS called muhammad, why aren't their parents shot for that?
reform
Yep, and it's sad that they are so insecure in their beliefs that they feel they need to over-react whenever a joke is made at thier expense.
Austin
QUOTE(reform @ Nov 30 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]1377410[/snapback]
QUOTE(reform @ Nov 30 2007, 12:13 PM) [snapback]1377389[/snapback]
The Sudan government has thier people branwashed.

Not really.. I'd say it's like this all over the Middle East.. just worse in some places than others.
gingergenius
I hate sensitive people. You get all this silly shit with mohammed. Say anything bad about Israel and you're a holocaust denier. Show one nipple on TV and all of the famine, war and genuine problems go out of the US press's mind.

I'm fed up with people moralising all the fucking time. ESPECIALLY religious people. I hate the way religious people think that because they have faith then that somehow makes their opinion more important. Woop de doo, they have an all-powerful imaginary friend to back them up. Fuck them.
Amis
Wow, seriously, wow. This takes retardism to whole new level, level where no-one else but middle east people, can get.
Marneyo Juano
hey hey, not all those who live in the middle east are retarded.
most of them are though.
Indy
Your not allowed to be named after the prophet muhammed, but you can have varients of the name such as Mohammed and Muhammad. There not allowed to show pictures of their prophets face either, dunno why, I did all this in religious studies a year back.
Mekstizzle
Yeah they can't Idolise things but they're still allowed to Pray to a Giant Box/City of Mecca 5 times a day. That's the biggest fucking Idol i've ever seen. Hypocrites tbh.

But I ain't got nothing against most Muslims, only their Religion.

Sudan is just fucked up, why did she even bother to teach there. Why are we letting people even go there, they don't deserve help.
Marneyo Juano
QUOTE(Van Hel Singh @ Dec 1 2007, 02:11 AM) [snapback]1377475[/snapback]
Your not allowed to be named after the prophet muhammed, but you can have varients of the name such as Mohammed and Muhammad. There not allowed to show pictures of their prophets face either, dunno why, I did all this in religious studies a year back.

Who gives a fuck...muhammed, mohammed, muhammad, same fucking shit and sounds the same too.
This takes retarded religions fanatism to a whole new fucking level. damn.

Indy
QUOTE(ProbleMatiK @ Dec 1 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]1377512[/snapback]
QUOTE(Van Hel Singh @ Dec 1 2007, 02:11 AM) [snapback]1377475[/snapback]

Who gives a fuck...muhammed, mohammed, muhammad, same fucking shit and sounds the same too.
This takes retarded religions fanatism to a whole new fucking level. damn.

I don't understand Islam at all. Nice pic btw.
BIG FUCKING SPIDER
This Woman went out and taught their kids an Education, for I'm sure a much lower wage than she would have gotten in Europe, and now they throw it back in her face. I say send the SAS in on a rescue mission the minute they try and put her on any serious trial.
coreyko_2003
QUOTE(gingergenius @ Nov 30 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]1377417[/snapback]
I hate sensitive people. You get all this silly shit with mohammed. Say anything bad about Israel and you're a holocaust denier. Show one nipple on TV and all of the famine, war and genuine problems go out of the US press's mind.

I'm fed up with people moralising all the fucking time. ESPECIALLY religious people. I hate the way religious people think that because they have faith then that somehow makes their opinion more important. Woop de doo, they have an all-powerful imaginary friend to back them up. Fuck them.

You're getting pretty sensitive about that too.....funny, eh?
Marneyo Juano
QUOTE(KoreyKo @ Dec 1 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]1377536[/snapback]
QUOTE(gingergenius @ Nov 30 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]1377417[/snapback]

You're getting pretty sensitive about that too.....funny, eh?

lulz

but he got a point there. All those minorities and religious fucks thinking someone owns them something and should all obey them etc. because they are somehow superior(?) to others
b1b23
Fuck em'
Marneyo Juano
I AM PROPHET MUHAMMED

Definatly fuck em, their narrow minds are set only on one thing: ISLAM. If any 'infidel' says anything about islam, he should be killed. That's how it goes in the muslim world.
Fucking extremist cunts.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Nov 30 2007, 02:35 AM) [snapback]1377371[/snapback]
KHARTOUM, Sudan (Nov. 29) - A British teacher in Sudan was convicted Thursday of the less-serious charge of insulting Islam for letting her pupils name a teddy bear "Muhammad," and was sentenced to 15 days in prison and deportation to Britain, one of her lawyers said.

Gillian Gibbons could have received 40 lashes and six months in prison in the case if found guilty of the more serious charge of inciting religious hatred and given the maximum penalty.

In London, the Foreign Office said it was "extremely disappointed with the sentence," adding that Foreign Secretary David Miliband summoned the Sudanese ambassador to explain the verdict.

Gibbons, 54, was arrested Sunday after complaints to the Education Ministry that she had insulted Prophet Muhammad, the most revered figure in Islam, by applying his name to a teddy bear.

She was found guilty of "insulting the faith of Muslims in Sudan" under Article 125 of the Sudanese criminal code, a less-serious charge than the original count of inciting religious hatred, said Ali Mohammed Ajab, a member of her defense team.

The charge later was confirmed by a judge who was leaving the closed court session.

"I feel this is very serious and very unfair," Ajab told The Associated Press outside court. Ajab, who also works for the Khartoum Center for Human Rights, said the issue was raised by "hard-liners who are always trying to make some noise," in an apparent reference to religious conservatives.

Gibbons' employer, Robert Boulos of the Unity High School, called it "a very fair verdict."

"She could have had six months and lashes and a fine, and she only got 15 days and deportation," Boulos said. He noted that she would only spend 10 days in prison, having already served five.

Gibbons is expected to serve her sentence in the Omdurman women's prison near Khartoum.

Religious conservatives in Sudan were outraged by the naming of the teddy bear, and defense lawyers reported receiving death threats.

"I am threatened, that's why I'm carrying a gun in court," defense lawyer Abdel Khalig Abdallah said, opening his coat to reveal a revolver during a break in the trial.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

The kids from what I can gather are Muslim. Sure, but aren't there some Middle Easter men with the same name as the prophet?
I know there are.
That pisses me off.

Including me.

another reason why i think religion is pointless
Marneyo Juano
QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Dec 4 2007, 09:51 PM) [snapback]1377900[/snapback]
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Nov 30 2007, 02:35 AM) [snapback]1377371[/snapback]

I know there are.
That pisses me off.

Including me.

another reason why i think religion is pointless

Agree'd. +1.

lol found this in the intrawebz. This is so true:
Ex-PS Fanboy
lolz!
DiO
lets just bury our heads in sand.
Marneyo Juano
that's what everyone does already, can't bury it any deeper or we might drown in the oil underneath it.
1UP
I don't mean to be a stereo typical American but I kinda just laugh at it then go on with my day, Thats just how rediculas it sounds to me tho. Just seems like anyone with a positive I.Q. wouldn't do things like this.
Marneyo Juano
definetly^

But those are muslims, what do you expect...
1UP
QUOTE(ProbleMatiK @ Dec 11 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]1379260[/snapback]
definetly^

But those are muslims, what do you expect...

I think everyone in this topic by there logic... should die? o.O So I guess... I expect them to attack. x.x

Alright yeah that was stupid v.v
Marneyo Juano
YOU INFIDELS ARE STUPID!

ISLAM IS A GREAT RELIGION!
IT'S SIMPLE, TOO!!

And that, basically, is what you
need to do in order to
be a good muslim
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(R4yn3 @ Dec 11 2007, 05:47 PM) [snapback]1379243[/snapback]
I don't mean to be a stereo typical American but I kinda just laugh at it then go on with my day, Thats just how rediculas it sounds to me tho. Just seems like anyone with a positive I.Q. wouldn't do things like this.

agreed
koneko
Marneyo Juano
Lmao'd

Btw. what's a jew doing at an islamic class? 0_o
Skinny 
QUOTE(gingergenius @ Dec 1 2007, 04:14 AM) [snapback]1377417[/snapback]

Those are the two most intelligent things I've read in a long time. I love you.
Marneyo Juano
So any news about the fate of that teacher?
Don Leone
Sudan is a primitive, impoverished state, where the masses are generally very uneducated and ignorant. 'Islamic law' is used by these people as a 'fuck you' to the West, in resentment of it being everything they're not. Never have I felt Britain to be superior more than with the lunatic rules of this despot land.

QUOTE(ProbleMatiK @ Jan 5 2008, 11:29 PM) [snapback]1384600[/snapback]
So any news about the fate of that teacher?

She was rescued by two Islamic peers (a Lord and a Lady) from Britain, and is currently in the UK.
Marneyo Juano
Good to hear. Too bad the west didn't take any sanctions on sudan for this shit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.