Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: West Memphis boy's rights weren't violated when officer shot him, feds say
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
Damian
QUOTE(http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/nov/07/7west/)
[image="left"]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7489/boomcopyu7.jpg[/image]West Memphis police officer Erik Sammis did not violate 12-year-old DeAuntae Farrow’s civil rights when he killed the child on June 22, the Department of Justice has concluded.

“After careful consideration, we concluded that the evidence does not establish a prosecutable violation of the federal criminal civil rights statutes,” Mark J. Kappelhoff, chief of the Criminal Section of the department’s Civil Rights Division, wrote in a letter dated Oct. 31.

Sammis shot DeAuntae when the boy and a friend ran by Sammis and another officer, Jimmy Ellis, who were on a stakeout at an apartment complex.

Police have said Sammis fired when it appeared DeAuntae was holding a weapon and moved after officers told them to stop.

Police said it turned out to be a toy gun that was taken into evidence. Police Chief Robert Paudert showed a reporter a photograph of it this afternoon.

Arkansas State Police also investigated the shooting; their conclusions, if they have reached any, have not been made public.

The state police will not take the Justice Department decision into account in making its determination, Paudert said.

I just want to know what the kid was doing outside that late without parental supervision, and why on Earth do parents let their kids play with toy guns. I was raised to not even go near any kind of gun real or fake(lol). Yes it sucked to be the only kid without a water gun but it has taught me something, to not think of guns as toys and such.

Another thing, yea I got to stay out late when I was a child, but my parents were always close, and this kid had the nerves to point his gun at the cop? What is wrong with kids today? When did hate the authority move down to the ages of 7-15?

I basically made this topic to see how many people would let their children play with guns(real/fake) and how long stay outside and how far from them. Also I wanted to see what people thought of this.
Heartless
When my child turns 13 or so, I plan on teaching him to fire handguns to better teach him that guns are not toys. If you show a child the real, destructive nature of guns at an early age, they will have better respect and understanding for them later.
Pulgo1
That's not really the point here.The kid was twelve!!12!!He was a kid.From what I can tell he wasn't doing anything wrong,except being a kid.I mean,come on!!
TwoFacedTanner
I wish I had a badge so I could get away with everything.
Bain
For all we know the squirt gun looked black in that lighting, had the shape of a real gun, or was painted black. Sad to some, but understandable.
Heartless

You have a split second to figure out if this is real or fake, at a distance, in poor lighting. Live or die.
Bain
Exactly my point.
Heartless
This is an Airsoft gun:

Amis
Too bad for the kid, but nowadays you can't see the difference of real from fake gun when there is distance and shadows. Kids should not play with guns, even fake guns, neither did I.
Marneyo Juano
Yes, a 12 year old buy running around with his friends, laughing and smiling, holding a real gun and shooting at everybody.
makes sense, doesn't it?
Heartless
QUOTE(Amis @ Nov 10 2007, 04:39 AM) [snapback]1374336[/snapback]
Too bad for the kid, but nowadays you can't see the difference of real from fake gun when there is distance and shadows. Kids should not play with guns, even fake guns, neither did I.

And look what happened in Tuusula.
Amis
I actually live in neighbour town. Only about 15 miles away. Anyways, that guy was tired of "society" and kept himself as "higher race" and was on drugs, he had depression and all that shit.

Yes the gun laws here are quite loose, but it's becouse we have so big hunting community, well the gun laws are going to be tightend I guess.

Usually we don't have any wackos here, this was our first case in this level.
psychÝ
It depends on many factors whether the ruling was right such as:

- Was it a dangerous neighbourhood, as in would there have been a good chance that it was real
- If it was real has there been many shooting at cops
- Was it light or dark

Things like that.
Damian
Don't forget the officers were also on a stakeout at the time so they probably were a bit sleepy.
Indy
QUOTE(Lieutenant Cuttlefish @ Nov 9 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]1374249[/snapback]
When my child turns 13 or so, I plan on teaching him to fire handguns to better teach him that guns are not toys. If you show a child the real, destructive nature of guns at an early age, they will have better respect and understanding for them later.

When you're not drunk and/or in the asylum, you actually make sense.

But at the end of the day, the kid was only 12, I just feel sorry for the cop that has to live with that.
Bain
QUOTE(Damian @ Nov 11 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]1374654[/snapback]
Don't forget the officers were also on a stakeout at the time so they probably were a bit sleepy.

Yeah, now you make sense after the fact you made this topic.

Damian youre the epitomy of the media tit sucking child.

You see some news and say oh snap that was such a good point.

Look what you did. You post the pic of a cop engaging a cute little kid with a squirting toy, and people who are idiots take stuff like that and run with it.

Post a picture of what really happened. Wait-Thats physically impossible for the news to ever do.
Damian
The...th...tha...the picture was just a joke '_'. And in my first post I wasn't even taking sides, I was just laying down some things. lol @ me being a media boy. What a cute tag for me...
Bain
Yeah, thats always a good thing to, how, once you've stated your insane opinion and we start discussing the matter you lol at the whole situation and dont learn a god damn thing I try to help with.
Damian
QUOTE(Bain @ Nov 15 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]1375248[/snapback]
Yeah, thats always a good thing to, how, once you've stated your insane opinion and we start discussing the matter you lol at the whole situation and dont learn a god damn thing I try to help with.

What are you talking about, I was fucking talking about parental skills in the first post. How is it insane?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.