Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the Fuck
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
Heartless
Several hundred U.S. diplomats expressed resentment Wednesday over a new State Department policy that could force them to serve in Iraq or risk losing their jobs. One veteran staffer told bosses: "[It]is a potential death sentence and you know it. Who will raise our children if we are dead or wounded?"

Source.

Are you serious? Who is going to raise your kids? What if I died there fucker? Would you raise my son? Assholes, their all assholes.

"It is one thing if someone believes in what is going on over there and volunteers," he said, "but it is another thing to send someone over there on a forced assignment.

I didn't volunteer either.
TwoFacedTanner
Just people being people.
Its alright if someone else dies, but its a different story if the person in risk of dying is yourself.

BTW, were you already enlisted before or something?
Heartless
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Nov 1 2007, 12:49 AM) [snapback]1372671[/snapback]
Just people being people.
Its alright if someone else dies, but its a different story if the person in risk of dying is yourself.

BTW, were you already enlisted before or something?

Something like that.

But it's not just people - it's diplomats. Representatives of the US. If they refuse to go, why should anyone else?
Damian
haha, why am I not surprised? When the men in suits have to step over there they're stance on the war changes doesn't it? :)
Indy
Im not surprised at all. Just reinforces alot of people's opinions.
Bain
QUOTE(Damian @ Nov 1 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]1372709[/snapback]
haha, why am I not surprised? When the men in suits have to step over there they're stance on the war changes doesn't it? smile.gif
Masta
I actually have to agree with the diplomats here, even though they are spineless, cowardly little elitist cunts. It's Iraq, you expect them to go to a warzone hell like that and risk their lives when they know nothing they do is going to make a difference?

Canadian diplomats don't mind going to Afghanistan, even though a few have been wounded and one killed so far, because they know they can make a difference, there are actually people in Afghanistan willing to work with them and try to make progress. There are people like that in Iraq too, but not enough for them to make any difference.

However, while I agree that it would be suicidal and pointless for them to do so, they should be forced to go to Iraq for a few months at least, just so they can see what they're forcing on all those American young people they send over there to do their dirty work.
Hardcore Ottoman
Why this isn't making an outroar is beyond me. Like, do diplomats truly believe in the war if they aren't willing to fight for it? If this bill was passed diplomats would be more certain in raising support for wars.
Damian
QUOTE(punxtr @ Nov 15 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1375298[/snapback]
Why this isn't making an outroar is beyond me. Like, do diplomats truly believe in the war if they aren't willing to fight for it? If this bill was passed diplomats would be more certain in raising support for wars.

hahaha do you think the media would actually show this, especially Fox news? Come on now, wake up. Without the media saying anything the millions of people in America aren't going to give a shit. It's sad how much that box controls us now.
Qdeathstar

Soldiers signed up knowing they might have to serve and might have to work in a place were they could be injured on killed.

In many cases the diplomats your talking about here didn't and wouldn't have signed up for a job that would leave them in a position to be harmed. It wasn't in their job description and they didn't sign up for it.

Secondly, most diplomats, by their very nature would rather solve things through peace and diplomacy (hence the name) than war. Think Collin Powell, for instance. They would have never supported the war in Iraq and thus, aren't "changing" their stance on it.
Hardcore Ottoman
Not every diplomat would push for war if they had to fight in it, most of these people are very selfish. If they truly didn't want war it would never happen in a way as publicly bad as the Iraq War.

Edit to Q--If this bill was passed their job description as diplomats would not change at all--what would change is that simply that they have no amnesty from deployment if we were short soldiers and we truly needed some sort of draft. This is in no way immediately going to put them in danger of fighting.
Heartless
I never asked them to fight. I just said, be diplomats and be diplomatic in a war torn country to help bring my brothers back home. It's as simple as that. Stop pussyfooting and start doing what the taxpayers are paying for - a solution to the middle east conflict. At the very least, help end the paramilitary corruption and reestablish an Iraqi/Afghani government so it doesn't become the second act of Osaka.
Marneyo Juano
I didn't think you people were that shallow.
Not every person fits to be a soldier, diplomats are good in talking and making decisions, they are supposed to have an ability to see and think over things they do and how it affects the future, they are supposed to think many years ahead while making these decisions, and they are absolutely no good and useless when put to a battle where they have to make a whole different kind of decisions, split second decisions, and obviously their reaction won't be that good because they are used to take their time before making a final decision. And ofcourse there is the psychological pressure they experience on the battlefield. They just won't take it and do supid things and get themselves killed.
Let the politicians do the talking, they aren't retards as you think george bush is, and you should do the fighting.
If you don't do either, just trust the people who are actually doing something for your country, to take the right decisions and do the right things to keep you safe.
Mekstizzle
Nobody is asking them to go into "The Iraks" and "Shoot sum A-rabs" - They just gotta do their normal day job, in Iraq. They would have better security. Although if I was gonna go to a place like Iraq, I'd only wanna go as a soldier. What's your back up as a diplomat, a couple of guards. What's your back up as a soldier, a squad full of armed guys, helicopters, jets and the odd tank. Also you got your own gun. Sure you're forced into danger, but at least you got all that shit to deal with it.
Marneyo Juano
That's a whole different story when you're shooting people, and the jets and everything aren't exactly there to watch YOUR back. They are doing their mission just like you're doing yours, and those who planned your actions had planned it in such a way that you're covering your teammates and the tanks/jets from the ground and so do they.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.