Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $1 Cdn = $1 US
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
DiO
The Canadian dollar reached parity with the U.S. greenback on Thursday for the first time in almost 31 years, capping a spectacular run that has seen it rise 62 per cent since 2002.

The loonie briefly reached $1.0003 US on foreign-exchange markets shortly before 11 a.m. ET, the Bank of Canada said. The currency spent much of the rest of the day flirting with parity — at one point trading at $1.0008 — before closing at 99.87 cents US, up 1.37 cents from Wednesday's Bank of Canada close.

Source(and full story): http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/09/20/canadiandollar.html

hmm, perhaps one day we will pass and then yous will be our bitch.

seriously tho, shit in us is priced WAY better and now the dollar is so close, its a good time for me to buy some shit from the us.

(i am literally going to buy "shit". by the litre [metric bitch!])

edit

but no really, im not canadain.
Bain
So does this mean books will stop saying 19.99 U.S 24.95 Canada on the price tag?
Indy
QUOTE(Bain @ Sep 23 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]1364600[/snapback]
So does this mean books will stop saying 19.99 U.S 24.95 Canada on the price tag?

No! mad.gif

But I think this is a great time to make some money. Hopefully the Canadian dollar falls some more, this should stop them from world domination. Also, sterling ftw.
Ex-PS Fanboy
shit i gotta head to buffalo to by some PS3 shit
Amis
Suckers, the euro is now $1,4127 bird.gif

Well anyways I would like to congratulate canadians for their nice economy gain.
HB~Sauce
All thanks to the faultering US dollar! Probably won't see parity for another 30 years...
Mekstizzle
Gotta get myself over to Yank land. Shit is just so cheap for me there, I think I'm just going to sit and cry at the awesomeness.
Pieface
QUOTE(DiO @ Sep 23 2007, 12:30 AM) [snapback]1364495[/snapback]
The Canadian dollar reached parity with the U.S. greenback on Thursday for the first time in almost 31 years, capping a spectacular run that has seen it rise 62 per cent since 2002.

The loonie briefly reached $1.0003 US on foreign-exchange markets shortly before 11 a.m. ET, the Bank of Canada said. The currency spent much of the rest of the day flirting with parity at one point trading at $1.0008 before closing at 99.87 cents US, up 1.37 cents from Wednesday's Bank of Canada close.

Source(and full story): http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/09/20/canadiandollar.html

hmm, perhaps one day we will pass and then yous will be our bitch.

seriously tho, shit in us is priced WAY better and now the dollar is so close, its a good time for me to buy some shit from the us.

(i am literally going to buy "shit". by the litre [metric bitch!])

edit

but no really, im not canadain.

Don't worry I HARDLY venture in here

And I just don't get why you lot share the same currency.
Mekstizzle
Canada and the US don't share the same currency. They just call it Dollars. Like how loads of countries use Pounds, but that doesn't mean UK Pound Sterling.
Heartless
QUOTE(Amis @ Sep 27 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]1365433[/snapback]
Suckers, the euro is now $1,4127 bird.gif

Well anyways I would like to congratulate canadians for their nice economy gain.

But in Sweden its... Wait, we don't have the Euro. *points and laughs at the Fin.* Jumpy.gif
Masta
QUOTE(Bain @ Sep 23 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]1364600[/snapback]

As someone else already said, no. However Canadian pricing on books will drop somewhat in the first quarter of next year, but will stay about 10% higher than American pricing. This is supposedly because of the cost of oil, which is higher in Canada than the U.S(thus shipping of materials and product is higher cost).

I'm still not entirely sure how that works, the cost of oil being higher here in Canada that is, seeing as we have more oil here than in the States and oil is still traded in U.S dollars, which is worth less than Canadian dollars...Of course it's the oil industry, it doesn't have to make sense as long as the oil companies still make billions of dollars, and it's not like we're going to stop using oil all of a sudden because we find the pricing to be unfair.

Also, I have an article here for you Bain, you'll probably like it. Maybe, lol.

Yanks shouldn't smart about the loonie soaring higher than their buck -- after all, they're superior in soooo many ways

By MIKE STROBEL

"Canadians are a fine tribe of people. They are hardy -- they got to be to live next to us." - Will Rogers

My American friends are incredulous when I tell them their dollar is worth less than ours.

"Huh?" they say, as only Americans can.

Yes, by a nickel, I tell them, for the first time in memory.

Most of my life, our measure as a people has hovered around, oh, 75c. That's hell on a national ego. No wonder we have an inferiority complex.

Shrinks get rich off insecurities like ours.

Now that the tables are turned, our next-door neighbours need our sympathy.

They need our help.

They need reassurance that their most precious, inalienable right holds true. That they are indeed superior.

In that spirit, my American chums, let's point out a few facts that make you better than us, loonie or no loonie.

Sidney Crosby. You have him. You have Gretzky and Lemieux, too. You also have Daniel Briere, Joe Sakic, Joe Thornton. And most of the Staals. All being paid in U.S. greenbacks.

Canadian NHL teams, except in Alberta, must make do with Swedes for captains.

The War of 1812. You won it, hands down. If you insist. We surrender, already. Sorry about sacking Washington and burning the White House.

You need not curtsy to any queen, except Dolly Parton or Liz Taylor. Your one and true king sang Don't Be Cruel better than any of our kings, Edward, George or William Lyon Mackenzie.

Your footballs are skinnier than ours.

Thus, your quarterbacks get a good grip. Your spirals are much tighter and prettier.

You are warmer. You have Hawaii, Florida, California, the Gulf Coast, Vegas, the Valley of the Sun and Myrtle Beach. We have Pelee Island and West Edmonton Mall.

You even have more than your share of Virgin Islands. We stupidly turned down the Turks and Caicos when they came begging to be a province.

Your food portions are bigger. Walk into any eaterie from Bakersfield to Bangor. You get a plate piled high with mashed potatoes, gravy and several kinds of meat.

Even if all you ordered was the salad.

Our helpings are puny and often hidden under carrot shavings and miscellaneous twigs.

Coincidentally, your lives are shorter than ours, 78 years to 80.3.

This could be considered a negative. On the other hand that's 2.3 years less of having to read about Paris Hilton and Britney Spears.

From death to taxes. Yours are much lower, even after yesterday's relief from Ottawa.

Taxmen get 27% of your GDP, but 37% of ours.

To you, GST is a sports car.

Your beer is way more versatile. Use it for anything that requires water.

You can wash your car with it, rinse your mouth, or even soak your plants.

But if we pour a Brador, or even a Moosehead, on our philodendron, it's dead in five minutes.

You have lower gasoline prices. We are puzzled by this, since we have more gasoline. Then it dawns on us. Taxes, again.

You are better workers. I read where a Canadian is only 82% as productive as an American.

This may be related to the strength of our beer.

David Hasselhoff. You and the Germans know a fine singer when you see one.

Best we can do is Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Michael Buble and Diana Krall.

You are blissfully unaware of us, which is a Godsend to both countries. It means Rick Mercer can do shows like Talking To Americans and have them say "I are sorry to hear Nanook of the North has been traded to Nashville." It means you don't even have to know when we're poking fun.

Best of all, you take a lot of crap from the bad guys of the world. A tonne of it. So we don't have to, so much.

At the very least, neighbour, that's worth a dollar or two. Canadian.

Keep the change.

notworthy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.