Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Other Games > Other Games
Pages: 1, 2
Kamahl
Today some new screenshots from Uncharted were shown and it looks amazing, check these out

It's looking really good and its going to be released this November, this game is being developed by "Naughty Dog" so most of the people already think this game will be a success.

Im buying it as soon as it comes out

EDIT: gameplay vid
[youtube]6Bqjq4dt4Wk[/youtube]
gameplay + cutscenes

game looks good but whoever is playing is probably a japanese dude who has never played a shooter before
DiO
its like a combo of both GoWs, (god of war, gears of war) with the platformin' and shootin'

looks amazing. cant wait
Flea
are those gameplay grx? this game looks amazing.

i remember crash team racing from noughty dog, that was an awsome game
FuddMan
QUOTE(Flea @ Sep 10 2007, 07:05 PM) [snapback]1361728[/snapback]
are those gameplay grx? this game looks amazing.

i remember crash team racing from noughty dog, that was an awsome game

ALL the Crash games before Naughty Dog got kicked off were awesome. Konami ruined it.
Ex-PS Fanboy
cool i had no idea they had thought of a name for it yet
DonkeyTits
Most likely that the action we see is form a cutscene, but they use the gameplay surroundings. The graphics don't look that impressive to me. The colors are a tad on the unnatural side, they could look less painted, and they need to work on the shadows. Overall, still doesn't look too shabby.
ENVi3
release date confirmed http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=83134

i might be getting this game, as Naughty Dog does make pretty good games, and this one looks like it will be.
EAT L4YER CAKE
To me this game is excellent. It has everything that I have wanted since Tomb Raider Legends. Uncharted looks to have a solid storyline, and an interesting one at that.

The graphics are some of the best I have seen, and I think it is safe to say probably some of the best this holiday season. The animations are kick ass, with over 3000 animations just scripted to Drake alone. This is a big titles for me, and hopefully will have a good story length aswell, 10+ hours atleast.

I just hope that Rachet and Clank: Tools of Destruction doesn't preoccupy me to miss this sure to be PlayStation 3 gem.
Kamahl
bump

you GOT to watch this trailer
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/10/31/...harted-trailer/

If you already own a PS3 just download it from the PS Store.

The game is looking damn good and we are getting a demo in a week :D
I honestly can't wait, i've been following this game since they just showed a short video of the jungle and some other stuff and its amazing to see the game now, just a few weeks away!
DiO
this is perfect because ill be getting this and assassins creed at the same time. two awsome looking adventures. i got that trailer on the ps3. i love the music they chose for it. its really eerie
1UP
Just the kind of game thats been missing these days =o I might buy this if I can.

O an about the video in the first post... yeah he was bad at shootin but hey he defiled a grave an walked on dead people on his boat after he killed them. Just how i would have wanted it.
Kamahl
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/833/833632p1.html

Preview by IGN... They sound very impressed, they also said the graphics were better than the last build they played.

I can't wait for the demo tomorrow!!!!!!!
Sharpie Fetish
the gameplay looks alot like manhunt but different story and you dont execute the covering and shoot looks EXACTLY THE SAME as in manhunt which makes it an intresting game that ill want to play but cant as i dont own a ps3 visuals look amazing and on gamer TV once they were showing that with a hack (the same way developers got it work) put spikes on floor (dont hurt you) and if red if you went there it was a dangerous spot to run out to and if a greeny yellow color it was safe which makes it look pretty good
Kamahl
the demo is out!!!

i'm downloading it
DiO
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY SHIT THE DEMO KICKED ASS. THE ANIMATIONS WHERE soo(!) FLIUD. LOOK, IM TYPING IN CAPS AND USING A LOT OF EXCITED EMOTIONS

Jumpy.gif Jumpy.gif Jumpy.gif Jumpy.gif Jumpy.gif Jumpy.gif

ITS WHAT NEWBIES/N00BIES DO AND I KNOW BETTER! BUT ITS HOW EXCITED I REALLY AM, LOL! (i didnt however really laugh out loud)

Yah, the demo was amazing. Its like Gears of War meats Crash Bandicoot. And Drake says SHIT once!

Kamahl
lol

yeah, the animations are really fluid, to be honest, i spent the first 5 minutes just running in circles checking the animations, it feels so real! then when i finally decided to go further, i saw the waterfall and then another 5 minutes just checking how he gets wet and other stuff... lol

The game is great, to keep it short...
ENVi3
QUOTE(DiO @ Nov 8 2007, 09:07 PM) [snapback]1374128[/snapback]
Its like Gears of War meats Crash Bandicoot. And Drake says SHIT once!
dont forget the Prince of Persia platforming (well, except the death traps and the wall running and what not).

but seriously, it was great .... i mean its just something you have to expirience . drool.gif
i spent like 40 mins the first time to complete the demo (and i didn't die, so its not like i had to do things over) .... and it only felt like i played for like 10 mins at most. it was just fun .... and when it was over i was just like "awwwww, i guess i just need to get the real game".
DiO
its funny cuz i blew through the demo. i mean i was amazed from the start but i knew they futher i go the more awsome itll get. but ive played through it so many times already. even on easy the game is challenging. honestly i havent played it on any other difficulty yet. the fighting in the game is amazing. the combos he does, if this makes sense, aren't overly flashy but at the same time they are. its like someone whos really funny but not trying to be. i love doing the running dropkick. and blowing away the guys with the shotgun. it awosme when you hang from ledges and peer out to shoot from them. it really shows you how gta iv might be. only 3 weapons slots. once for his handgun and one for a large weapons he puts on his back and one for grenades. that and it was said gta iv will have the same take cover/pop out/blind fire thing.

/\ this paragraph (if you can call it that :s ), is worded terribly. for that i am sorry
HB~Sauce
According to IGN, it lives up to the hype, unlike another game they reviewed. cough...Assassin's Creed...cough

Uncharted scored a 9.1

Review
DiO
good review. suprising because ign are fucktards
Miami13
This game is going to be AMAZING, and after reading and watching IGN's video review I can't wait for this game!
Kamahl
9.1 seems low to me after reading the review to be honest, i mean... if i had only read the review but didnt see the scores i'd guess they would give it a 9.5 at least.

oh well, its still a good score anyway.... I can't wait to get it.
Bain
So ok, at first I wasnt interested.

But afte watching gameplay I thought the game was similar to Assassin's Creed's features-
i.e. wacky action, and fun combat, with beautiful environments and action through naturific killzones.

And, the combat with the guns reminds me of The Punisher game/other games I have enjoyed, so maybe I might get it. Ill read reviews. If anyone plays it let me know.
Kamahl
some stores are selling it early (release date is supposed to be in 2 days), some people got it the 14th!
Bain
Yeah I saw it today at an electronics store but didnt buy it.
DiO
so it came out today. i just beat assassins creed today so i didnt get it. but i am tomorrow for sure.
Kamahl
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/unchart...topslot;title;1

Gamespot is a joke in my opinion, read the review without looking at the score, someone would expect a higher number, but no... a 8.0, the ammount of good stuff is clearly a lot more than bad, so what the hell is this? They complain because its hard? Play it on easy mode, dumbass.

I don't get it, they gave Ratchet & Clank a 7.5 and said it was too easy, now they say its hard? what do they want? Again, gamespot is giving one of the worse scores for a PS3 game if not the worst.
Pieface
QUOTE(Kamahl @ Nov 20 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]1375978[/snapback]
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/unchart...topslot;title;1

Gamespot is a joke in my opinion, read the review without looking at the score, someone would expect a higher number, but no... a 8.0, the ammount of good stuff is clearly a lot more than bad, so what the hell is this? They complain because its hard? Play it on easy mode, dumbass.

I don't get it, they gave Ratchet & Clank a 7.5 and said it was too easy, now they say its hard? what do they want? Again, gamespot is giving one of the worse scores for a PS3 game if not the worst.

Your saying 8.0 is bad? Its a great score still. No-need to go all fanboyish over it, They also gave other faults apart from it being too hard...
Bain
8 is more than most PS3 games so far. Ill read it later though.

Edit: Just realized, user scores are averaged at 9.0
DiO
i find most reviewers are full of shit anyway. i got the game now. gonna go play it in a few mins. looking foward to it
Bain
Let me know how it is. If I get a good rating out of it, Ill buy it on sale on Black Friday maybe.

Anyway, this review by some guy seems to be the standard sounds of how it plays out:
Fun: 8.0

Let's get this right out of the way. Uncharted's story and cutscenes are phenomenal. Everything within them is presented with absolute excellence, and will have you impatiently wanting to see it through right away. You might even pull a one sitting play-through on your first go because of this. I did, it's that good. Within the main gameplay mechanics however, there are a few sizeable warts that will hamper the fun factor you have during the game.

The most notable shortcoming Uncharted: Drake's Fortune has comes from the enemy AI. During the first half of the game, you'll think to yourself "Wow, these guys are no push overs. Naughty Dog did a great job with this." During the second half of the game you'll go "What in the heck? This is RIDICULOUS." The cheapness to be seen is the level of where I wanted to stop playing no matter how badly I wanted to see the story through; however I didn't. This is on the normal difficulty by the way.

Along with that cheap AI, which ultimately creates a double whammy of frustration, is the very rigid cover system. It works fine most of the time, but when you are in need of doing some quick maneuvering, this is when things get ugly. You'll often find yourself rollinh around trying to dodge enemy fire and get a better vantage point, only to be thwarted by magnetically sticking to any cover near by (roll and cover are the same button, circle). This can be extremely frustrating when fighting some of the more advanced enemies, and has gotten me killed a plethora of times. This could have been easily prevented by coupling the cover button with the jump button (ala Gears of War).

On to my two final gripes, which I will attack in this same paragraph. First off, there is just too, too much platforming. I knew what kind of game I was getting into, but this game just goes EXTREMELY overboard with the cheesiness of the mechanic (used in too much repetition, anyway), and this is coming from a game that will only last you about 8 hours. On to my second part of this complaint, is the fact that this game is trying to tackle a believability factor that of a blockbuster movie, and some of the things it does are just jarring. You'll find yourself traversing ridiculous sections of platforms, only to find an aggrevating placement of your pirate adversaries at every bend (even if it makes completely no sense). Oh yeah, and did I mention I hope you enjoy fighting these enemies, because you will... A LOT.

Oh, and for a bonus along with that, it can be said that the majority of the weapons found in the game are practically useless. All the pistols feel and sound the same, along with the rifles, shotguns, etc. The best part about it all is that you could get away with playing 90% of the game with nothing but your regular old pistol because it always only takes 1 headshot or about 3 body shots to kill. What a downer.

There are some positives with the gameplay though, right? Yes. The fact that you actually feel like you're on this great adventure is very prevalant and unrivaled by any game this year. There are also some great battle scenes sprinkled along the way that will have you go "Oh heck yeah!" when certain things happen, or "Oh crap!". Also, a few of the puzzles and platforming sections are pretty clever. It does start to get a bit stale before the end though because there is just SO much of that stuff. Naughty Dog however did put a great amount of polish into the product, as the game is still quite fun to play.

Graphics: 9.5

For the most part, the graphics are drop dead gorgeous and will make any high definition television setup sing with beauty. There are quite a few occasions where you'll see the framerate get a bit low, and there is some mild screen tearing, however.

The characters are modeled and animated gloriously, especially shown in the cutscenes which are all rendered in the game engine and also acted amazingly, might I add.

All in all the graphics are top shelf this year however, and sit right up there along with games such as BioShock and Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.

Sound: 9.0

Sound gets major points for the excellent voice cast featured throughout the game. Naughty Dog must have worked tirelessly to get just the right performers to accompany their cast. Not a single voice feels out of place. It must be noted however that there were a few sound glitches that showed up while I was playing, such as a staticy effect one time a character was talking in the game, and a loss of music (which is pretty good I might add) for a second. Very, very minor and rare, though.

The other part of the sound category that I'd like to touch on is the weapon sounds. The pistol(s) sound great and about how you would expect them too, but the rifles... oh man the rifles, do they ever sound pathetic. Never have I had such an odd look on my face when I've fired an AK-47 in a game. What a disappointment.

Replayability: 6.0

No real reason to go back and play the game again, other than just wanting to see those great cutscenes again, or see the story play out again at a future date. The repetitive nature of the platforming and cheap AI will likely scare you away from another playthrough on anything but easy, but it must be noted that there are lots of "awards" and "treasures" that you can unlock that do give the replayability some length. They're basically Uncharted's take on Xbox Live achievement points on the PlayStation 3 with their game. Basically you complete some task, such as getting 50 headshots or getting 50 blind-fire shots and you'll unlock a "reward". As for the treasures, collecting these is completely optional and will help you unlock some bonus content within the game.

The game is short at only 8 hours, and quite linear, so there's not going to be much bringing you back to play the game. If you're an achievement addict though, you might spent some extra time doing so.

Overall Average: 8.0

While the story is awesome and full of twists and turns, Uncharted is also filled with shortcomings and frustrations. The game is still quite enjoyable to play, and is a recommended play through, but it won't keep you occupied too long for your $60. I would still suggest a purchase of the game because it is quite an experience to have in your library of games, filled with plenty of wow moments. At the very least, it serves as a great graphical showpiece to put your setup and PlayStation 3 system to the test. Cheers to Naughty Dog for taking a risk on a new franchise, and here's to hoping they tie up the loose ends on their next game and blow us away.
Miami13
Uncharted is probably the greatest and most funnest game I have ever played. Maybe the story is rather short(Took me 9 hours 30 min first play through) but the story itself is amazing. This game may be reason enough to buy a PS3. I have just about beat it 2 times now, almost done with Hard mode and then onto Crushing while I get the last 9 treasures and the rest of the medals.

Also, I am now officially done with looking at GameSpot's reviews. That site is payed by M$ for their reviews. Uncharted is ATLEAST a 9.0 at the very least.
Indy
Metacritic has given it 87. I think that metacritic is the fairest because it gathers all the reviews and calculates an average:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/...ortune?q=drakes
Bain
QUOTE(Miami13 @ Nov 20 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]1376155[/snapback]
Uncharted is probably the greatest and most funnest game I have ever played. Maybe the story is rather short(Took me 9 hours 30 min first play through) but the story itself is amazing. This game may be reason enough to buy a PS3. I have just about beat it 2 times now, almost done with Hard mode and then onto Crushing while I get the last 9 treasures and the rest of the medals.

Also, I am now officially done with looking at GameSpot's reviews. That site is payed by M$ for their reviews. Uncharted is ATLEAST a 9.0 at the very least.

Did you buy this game with lottery money?
DiO
yah, that reviewer is full of shit for sure

"is could have been easily prevented by coupling the cover button with the jump button (ala Gears of War)."

in GoW you had to press up against a object with the cover button, then leap over. as he was saying there. it was annonying. in this you can jump over right away without taking cover first. all you half to do in uncharted is to not suck.

find it too hard? play on easy.

"because it always only takes 1 headshot or about 3 body shots to kill. What a downer."

realism mean anyhting to you? headshots are ALWAYS a one shot kill in every other game ive played. and your complaining the game is too hard but then turn around and say the enemies are to easy to kill? pfft.

"Sound gets major points for the excellent voice cast featured throughout the game."

Yupp

"All the pistols feel and sound the same,"

theres the 9mm and a revolver ive found so far. the revolver sounds way more ballsy than the 9mm. and its a 1 shot kill. you get much less amao for it but its stronger. so him saying they sound the same and feel the same is a load of crap. not to mension you can carry an uzi as a pistol.

i love this game. the shooting and hand to hand fighting is perfect. i love how you can run away and shoot over your shoulder. the script is fantastic. i lol'ed several times. drake is so sarcastic even in the most dire moments.
Bain
Thanks for the info so far.
DiO
i just beat it. the ending is fucking awsome. and there is a twist near the end that changes the entire feel of the game. its fucked.
Kamahl
lol... You guys beat it long ago but i just got it!! It took a long time...

Kamahl
sorry about the double post, but i finished a couple of hours ago!!!

Best game i've ever played, i put it right there with God of War I and II, GTA and all the rest of games i love.

I loved every single minute of this game, the twist near the end let me like WTF??? but i think it was good, cause its not like it was randomly put there... the gameplay and animations are great, if not perfect, you can already tell that just by playing the demo though.

But what really amazed me were the cutscenes and storyline, it really feels like a movie, a great movie to be honest, a lot of action and things you just don't expect. Im not going into details cause i don't want to give away important info, but it's great and you will enjoy it... Honestly, this game is in a whole new level.

If you own a PS3 then you must get Uncharted, if you don't, get one and play Uncharted.
DiO
its just one of those games that raises the standard for videogames story/script/acting wise like heavenly sword. its about fucking time they pay more attention to these things. gta always had and gow. but there are amazing games that lack that aspect. *cough* gears of war *cough*
Kamahl
it was chosen as the PS3 game of the year by IGN!

This is what they said

"Reading over these awards, is this one even a surprise? Uncharted: Drake's Fortune serves as the culmination of fun gameplay, an immersive story, stunning graphics, superb sound and characters you can connect with. These elements come together for one of the most engaging experiences gamers can find in 2007."

you can see the whole thing here
http://bestof.ign.com/2007/ps3/index.html
Indy
Finally got to play this game and it's awesome. The only problem is that it's too short and I can't see myself playing through it again. Otherwise it's possibly the best PS3 title, yet.
ENVi3
QUOTE(Van Hel Singh @ Dec 27 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]1382983[/snapback]
The only problem is that it's too short and I can't see myself playing through it again.
that's why i'm waiting till i can rent it.
Kamahl
QUOTE(Van Hel Singh @ Dec 27 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]1382983[/snapback]
Finally got to play this game and it's awesome. The only problem is that it's too short and I can't see myself playing through it again. Otherwise it's possibly the best PS3 title, yet.

Well, it lasted 10 hours to me + cutscenes

That's good enough in my opinion, anyway... the game is so good i like to own it so i can play it again whenever i want.
DuPz0r
I just got it on Saturday, and completed it the same day on Normal mode...

Meh, its a great game though, i can see myself playing it over and over like i did with metal gear solid 1 back in the day.
Atlast a ps3 game with impressive graphics, animation and replayabiltiy. All i need to do now is unlock all the extra's i want the desert eagle with infinite ammo biggrin.gif
DiO
/\ i didnt know that existed. wow, now i got something to do
Pieface
Ive tried to download the demo countless time sbut it never worked =/
Kamahl
QUOTE(Pieface @ Jan 25 2008, 10:50 AM) [snapback]1389768[/snapback]
Ive tried to download the demo countless time sbut it never worked =/

that's because the demo is region locked... try to download it using your US account.
Pieface
Dammit. Oh well I cba using my US account, Ill probably just rent it if its short anyway. PS3 is mainly my Blu-Ray player now anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.