Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A quote limit
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Important Information > Website & Forum Discussion
psychÝ
Why does this forum have a quote limit, apart from the fact it is completely pointless it just stops people posting perfectly valid posts and then you can't even post another one after it as it complains about an error so when someone actually goes to the effort of writing a decent post you can't even post it, hilarious.
Qdeathstar
I believe thats a problem with IPB and not this forum particularly, though im not sure.
Heartless
InvisionFree only has the limits the Admin set, like any website.
Cyanide
QUOTE(Heartless @ Jul 13 2007, 06:29 AM) [snapback]1345641[/snapback]
InvisionFree only has the limits the Admin set, like any website.

I fail to see how that statement has any reflection on the problem in hand. This isn't InvisionFree - this is a fully-licensed, fully-paid for, Invision Power Board. There are key features missing from InvisionFree which Invision Power Board has such as being able to set a post delay, and in this case, a quote limit.
Psy
We enabled the quote limit because people found it funny to mess up the boards by embedding about 6000 different quotes in one post. You never need that many in there and all it does is add extra data to your post which in turn doubles the amount of data going in and out of the database, and makes the site run twice as slow... However if you all really think it's necessary to post multiple quotes in a post then I'll change the settings to allow you to include more. Currently you can have up to 20 quotes in each post, and I'm pretty sure that's more than enough...
psychÝ
QUOTE(Psy @ Jul 13 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]1345705[/snapback]
We enabled the quote limit because people found it funny to mess up the boards by embedding about 6000 different quotes in one post. You never need that many in there and all it does is add extra data to your post which in turn doubles the amount of data going in and out of the database, and makes the site run twice as slow... However if you all really think it's necessary to post multiple quotes in a post then I'll change the settings to allow you to include more. Currently you can have up to 20 quotes in each post, and I'm pretty sure that's more than enough...

Well it obviously isn't as I posted one with more than that in it otherwise I would have never known of its existence, I agree there should be one but it needs to be higher.
Heartless
QUOTE(Psy @ Jul 13 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]1345705[/snapback]

LOL@Cyanide. I've used Free and I've used Power. I may get my adjectives wrong on occasion, but I know what I'm talking about.
Psy
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Jul 13 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]1345715[/snapback]
QUOTE(Psy @ Jul 13 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]1345705[/snapback]

Well it obviously isn't as I posted one with more than that in it otherwise I would have never known of its existence, I agree there should be one but it needs to be higher.

What were you quoting that required 20 different quotes to be included in your one post? If it was a long quote chain then that's un-necessary, and if you were replying to 20 different people's posts, or quoting 20 different sections of someone's post then perhaps you should re-think how you write your posts. I can only really understand someone needing to use 20+ quotes if they're dissecting someone's post line by line, but how often does that happen? This is probably the first time anyone's had a problem with it. But if the general concensus is that we need more quotes, I'll increase it to 40 or so... If it's abused then it'll go back down to 20 though.
cuda is your boi
Stop quoting every single word and just quote the whole thing... I hate having to scroll those huge posts, everyone understands what you want to say, commenting on every phrase with quotes is ridiculous.
Qdeathstar
I don't disagree with Cuda, but I agree more with Psy. the resources required to increase the quote limit aren't really worth it.

Just use code boxes ect.
Roman
This forum has a lot of issues and problems, I think worrying about the quote limit should be the last thing on the list. Besides, it's not a very big deal in the first place.
FuddMan
Fixed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.