Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: your skill
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Media Discussion
ctlfreak
so almost everyone that trolls around this forum is a graphic guru. my question is where did you learn and why. is this just a hobby for you? do you have bigger plans than making sigs. do you work at some big fancy ny marketing agency as a designer and like to mingle with the little people? do you think your the next davinci? did you learn from tuts or experimenting. or for the Scientology's did xenu put this information in your head to confuse mankind

just curious
Heartless
Where do I get my skills? ctlfreak.
Indy
Well i'm not that good, but I started around a year ago. Used a basic tutorial to figure out how to use photoshop cs2. Then after that I just experimented with all the tools and filters to see which ones worked well with each other etc. Started using brushes more often and now I just use photoshop whenever i'm bored. I only really started because of some coursework which involved photo editing.
Mekstizzle
Well, tutorials and stuff*. Just to get the basic idea of how to use the damn thing. I learnt alot myself. I don't use PS much anymore though.

* Inc Bain
Ex-PS Fanboy
its simple for me cuz i have no skillz!
Sharpie Fetish
I found a tut for making matrix style code wallpapers and such did that and started experimenting
-spyder-
I just enjoy and ive applied for a graphic/web designing course for college this year so hopefully i will learn alot more skills. Mostly i use fireworks and i'd use that for starting this kinda thing, as its easy to get in to things and i used this program alot at school so. But there are alot of techniques and tutorials out there and some are really easy to figure out to make something
Washunka
1.where did you learn and why
2.is this just a hobby for you
3.do you have bigger plans than making sigs.
4.do you work at some big fancy ny marketing agency as a designer and like to mingle with the little people?
5.do you think your the next davinci?
6.did you learn from tuts or experimenting.

1. I learned off of this site when i started. I started my graphical life when i was wandering through some gta forums looking for cheats and hints and then i found the graphics section and i loved it.

2. Sort of although i have been asked numerous times by my friends or friends of friends or parents friends or even online friends to help them with some commercial graphics whether it be for their band or a logo for a local company.

3. Signatures are trivial in real computer graphics, i don't bother with them at all anymore.

4. No, i am not. Nor do i have any aspiration to be.

5. I am good but nothing revolutionary although my art can affect people it can't change them.

6. I learned from both hundreds of hours of experimenting and reading thousands of tutorials and writing my own.

The Porscheofile
i have zero skills. i just crop and search through filters till i find something that catches my eye.
ctlfreak
wow washunka you went above and beyond on the answers there. i really wasnt asking each one as a question, more as a expansion on my question but good job.

spyder good luck with the course, but dont expect to learn everything you need to know at school. a degree is nothin more than proof of attendance. itll help get the job but your skills will keep it.

I just kinda watched others and read tutorials. i do tv commercials now, small local stuff. nothing fancy and usually no budget or script (sadly no one seems to care about quality and creativity anymore) i hope to get a job filming big budget commercials for large corporations

cuda is your boi
I started computer graphics back in 2004, I used Paint Shop pro for a while but I quickly started using Photoshop after. Like most people, I started just to make "sigs", but that got a bit boring after a while and I moved up to other stuff (I was into that 3D abstract thing a lot).

Unfortunately, I don't do much graphical work for me these days, about 2 years ago I stopped doing that pointless stuff (I'll probably get back to it later, but first i want to make money out of commercial work). Right now I'm training in web design, I've done work for the Postal games site and PurePwnage, I do work for free now because I don't think I'm qualified enough to actually get paid for anything, still learning.

I'm making this my life though, I'm doing Multimedia in school and I'm probably taking a few courses in web design and image (we actually have some really good schools for that here).

Mr_Blond
I started out a long time ago, in the days of Windows 3.0... I would mess around in MS Paint and create pictures, more often than not pixel by pixel. I graduated to Paint Shop Pro and would read tutorials, but mostly just play around with the program. Then I discovered Photoshop, and fell in love with it. I read tutorials when I have a specific idea, but again I continue to just play with the program. My knowledge of this program actually landed me a job as a graphic designer at a publishing company with no prior graphic design work under my belt. And since then, I have fought my way through the ranks and am now responsible for the majority of the automotive ads that pass through the doors. I spend most of my days working on 11.625x21.5 inch documents, honing my skills as I go. I have aspirations of one day working for a larger publishing company, maybe for a magazine.

QUOTE(Mr_Blond @ Jun 16 2007, 04:20 PM) [snapback]1337571[/snapback]
I started out a long time ago, in the days of Windows 3.0... I would mess around in MS Paint and create pictures, more often than not pixel by pixel. I graduated to Paint Shop Pro and would read tutorials, but mostly just play around with the program. Then I discovered Photoshop, and fell in love with it. I read tutorials when I have a specific idea, but again I continue to just play with the program. My knowledge of this program actually landed me a job as a graphic designer at a publishing company with no prior graphic design work under my belt. And since then, I have fought my way through the ranks and am now responsible for the majority of the automotive ads that pass through the doors. I spend most of my days working on 11.625x21.5 inch documents, honing my skills as I go. I have aspirations of one day working for a larger publishing company, maybe for a magazine.

I scored a post @ 4:20!

@Cuda - Dude, don't downplay it... You might get lucky like I did!
ctlfreak
if your doing work you deserve to get paid, dont sell your self short. start chargin even if you suck.
cuda is your boi
I should do it. But I can't, it's just something I can't do right now, the work experience is great though.

This is on the internet, I do get paid for outside jobs like posters and such, web design is a whole lot different for me though....
Murdoc1
Theres a basic class at my highschool but i ended up dropping it then ironically Washunka made a tutorial that got me really going with making sigs, I have a half-assed natural drawing ability but its not really needed. Tutorials really help alot then it comes down to experimenting.
オタク
www.gamerenders.com
Qdeathstar
I got into graphics mainly for school presentations, but they generally were crappy.. it wasn't until I game to this forum that a really started getting serious about graphics/ect and making them loook good... but i'm definately not an expert on the subject.
Hardcore Ottoman
We are no experts. We just experiment and learn. The most hands-on way to do it.
ctlfreak
i have adobe certification in photoshop and illustrator, ive been to college for graphic design. i run my own video company. so i would say by some standard im an expert. but i know that i dont know it all, and im always strivign to learn more. you can never know everything abotu something as broad as designing and imho noone can be a true expert.

expert is subjectional, what make syou an expert? school, job training, raw talent? in my opinion an expert would be anyone that can get around in the program they use without having to constantly look up how to do something. everyone has different tastes. some of the greatest artists works look like shit to some, yet to others its genius. so dont compare your work to others and think oww im shit. just go with it

you dont need school or a degree, you just need dedication to your craft. if you want to become an expert in something like graphic design then make things constantly
Amnesiac
I work freelance design on occasion, just to make ends meet... nothing too professional, just for friends, acquaintances, local bands...
It's just fun and a quick way to make money for me, at least. smile.gif
Ex-PS Fanboy
hey can someone tell me where to download the program like photoshop or something. one with a tutorial if u can
ctlfreak
if your talking about a illegal copy then no, you can get banned asking that here and if you have to ask you wouldnt have the knowledge to obtain it. if you want to try it out the demo is available at http://www.adobe.com/downloads/ and tutorials are a Google Search away
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(Albino™ @ Jun 23 2007, 08:32 PM) [snapback]1339383[/snapback]
I work freelance design on occasion, just to make ends meet... nothing too professional, just for friends, acquaintances, local bands...
It's just fun and a quick way to make money for me, at least. smile.gif

show some of your work smile.gif If it's anything like your signature it should be killer!
JoelManiac
don't have any. I just follow tuts for photoshop
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(ctlfreak @ Jul 11 2007, 04:00 AM) [snapback]1344838[/snapback]
if your talking about a illegal copy then no, you can get banned asking that here and if you have to ask you wouldnt have the knowledge to obtain it. if you want to try it out the demo is available at http://www.adobe.com/downloads/ and tutorials are a Google Search away

oh is photoshop like a program u buy on a disk? no i dont mean the illegal version i just figured it was something you could download
ctlfreak
your statement made me think piracy, sorry if thats not what you meant. that link i listed will let you download the 30 day trial of photoshop. and the google link is tuts on it.

if you want a free program try GIMP they have tuts on thier site at http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/ and all over the web

if your in school from 1st grade to college you can get discounts on alot of software for cheap at places liek http://www.academicsuperstore.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.