Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If The Earth Suddenly Stoped Spinning!
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
GCM

The earth spins at around 1100mph so that means everything is moving at 1100mph unless its being powered like cars n stuff but forget that. yes imagine if it sudently stopped. just casue the earth stops doesnt mean you or any other stationary object will, your gonna still be going 1100mph. so you'd would go flying along with all the other buildings, trees,cars,lamp posts,houses,rocks, people, animals, debris everything! IMAGIN THAT! 1100mph!

This was brought up in the graphics forum and i said the above about. But i wanted to hear what your thoughts are on it! So let em rip.

CoreyKo
That would be kinda cool but at the same time it would be kinda odd =/
DonkeyTits
Things like that are just too mind boggling for me. So what exactly counts as the earth? Is it hte trees too? Will teh water stay? What about...piles of dirt? What if you've ordered dirt for your house and it's sitting on your driveway? Will the [i]air[/air] stop moving or will it continue to spin? How would birds be affected? Long story short:The world would be fucked over, we would all die(How on earth would anyone live through it?) There would be no coming back. The whole world would be a non inhabitable wasteland. It would be ice on one side and baked dry on the other.
GCM
How would the birds be effected?

i think anything touching the ground but not necessarly anchored but just touching the ground sitting there would move. So yeah a pile of dirt in your drive way would probably take off like a bullet.
Fanatica Unleashed
But the air would have to move at roughly the same speed as the planet, otherwise we'd have a 24/7/365 massive fuck-off hurricane all over the world...

Right?
jayzamann
Everything in the Earths atmosphere is moving at the same speed while stationery, yes.

I would assume that everything not fixed to the surface, including air, would continue moving if the world stopped spinning.
ride_bmx
i think it would be kinda fun for a lil while but how long it would last is anyones guess
big-zee
That would be a little insane but none the less very cool
Pitbull
I hope it happens.

Really hope.
Catnip
This sort of discussion makes me think too much and makes my brain hurt >_<
CygnusX
I love these sort of topics happy.gif

You're not going 1100 mph everywhere, only on the equator, where the diameter of the earth is largest. On the north and southpole it would be hardly noticeable.
GCM
QUOTE(Pitbull @ Oct 20 2005, 12:12 PM) [snapback]964876[/snapback]

I hope it happens.

Really hope.

You probably wouldnt know what happend at that speed

QUOTE(CygnusX @ Oct 20 2005, 01:17 PM) [snapback]964917[/snapback]

I love these sort of topics happy.gif

You're not going 1100 mph everywhere, only on the equator, where the diameter of the earth is largest. On the north and southpole it would be hardly noticeable.

Very good point, didnt even think about that!
Kuwong
Besides the earth wouldnt stop suddenly, it would gently slow down as would the objects such as humans. and we wouldn't continue spinning forever we would slowly stop as well. But the long term effects would be awful, like said everywhere would pretty much be inhospitible(sp?)
GCM
yeah but this is a what if situation

and what if another planet hit us just right to stop the rotation, im sure if the planet/meteor were big enough it wouild stop the rotation
Mekstizzle
QUOTE(GCM @ Oct 20 2005, 02:40 PM) [snapback]964924[/snapback]

and what if another planet hit us just right to stop the rotation, im sure if the planet/meteor were big enough it wouild stop the rotation

The way you described it is that asif the world 'started spinning' becuase something hit it and made it spin in the first place. Its not like that, and therefore a object hitting it wont make it stop spinning.

(What would be cool is if the earth span the other way round though. tongue.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif)
Alkaline Sheep
QUOTE(GCM @ Oct 20 2005, 06:35 AM) [snapback]964729[/snapback]

The earth spins at around 1100mph so that means everything is moving at 1100mph unless its being powered like cars n stuff but forget that. yes imagine if it sudently stopped. just casue the earth stops doesnt mean you or any other stationary object will, your gonna still be going 1100mph. so you'd would go flying along with all the other buildings, trees,cars,lamp posts,houses,rocks, people, animals, debris everything! IMAGIN THAT! 1100mph!

This was brought up in the graphics forum and i said the above about. But i wanted to hear what your thoughts are on it! So let em rip.

I would imagine it would hurt, just a bit...
Strike
Going at 1100MPH? That would be enough speed to kill anyone due to the huge G-force hitting you. Ouch.
Alkaline Sheep
Yeah, no doubt you'd go straight into a wall or something else solid... Ouch.. >_<
FuddMan
Actually what if we stopped moving completely? The Earth is spinning, goes around the sun, moves around the galaxy, and is whizzing around the universe. We're going waaaaay faster than 1100mph.
DonLeone
What a coincidence. We were discussing this idea of momentum today in Physics.
Mattay
I was thinking about that a few days ago. If the earth did stop spinning we'd go 1100 mph to the east. Sun rises in the east and sets in the west, so if the earth spins facing the sun, we'd go 1100 mph east. Simple.
Kronoz
I don't think anything would happen as currently as we rotate we are kept still by gravity so if we stopped moving gravity would still be pulling towards the center of the earth therefore we should say still.
Or I could be wrong an we could all go into orbit tongue.gif
british_bulldog
What about the planes???
sad.gif
0bs3n3
WOW! Thats freaky. But you would get ripped apart travelling 1100 mph.
Alkaline Sheep
Hah, major whiplash
undercoverbrother
If the earth stopped spinning, I would shit my pants. If I shit my pants, the earth would stop spinning....maybe.....
Handsome B Wonderful
For the earth to stop spinning, something would have to destroy the sun (self implosion, black hole?), as it is what causes the earth to revolve. If the earth stopped spinning it would probably take a couple of hours before we collided with the moon. In theory, the earth would explode reasonably fast, because the earths core and mantle are also affected by gravity, and would expand rapidly without the pressures of gravity.
All theories on this subject are purely speculation, as there is no way of knowing what would happen.
JuanCarlos
i wish the earth wud stop
Ender
Well, it's quite possible SOMEONE would survive it. The air would travel at the same speed in our direction, so there wouldn't be any air resistance.

But, if everything just "took" off at 1100 mph in the same direction, relative to me, would I even notice it? Cause if I'm sitting on the chair, which is on floor, connected to my house, connected to the earth's mantle, wouldnt it all just somewhat slide, not really affecting me?
CoreyKo
QUOTE(JuanCarlos @ Oct 21 2005, 03:31 AM) [snapback]965687[/snapback]

i wish the earth wud stop

Yeah I dont' blame you. Look at all the shit going on in the world dry.gif.
Verruckt
I don't think that we "take off" at all. I think that whatever side of the earth that was facing the opposite side of the sun would experience a second ice age and never have day, while the other side would be hotter than usual and never have night.

I don't think it would effect gravity. The gravity of the earth is effected by the earths core. The sun also plays a huge factor in this. If I remember correctly, on Mercury, 1 year is about 87 days.

Off topic, but interesting, fact: Pluto is only the last planet in the solar system for about 20 earth years. After 20 earth years it becomes the second to last planet for a few years(can't remember how many) before going back to being the last.

Another interesting fact: Scientists(or whoever the hell researches planets and stuff) think that they may have found another planet after Pluto, and that Pluto may possibly not be a planet at all.
CoreyKo
QUOTE(mrrt51 @ Oct 21 2005, 05:13 AM) [snapback]965740[/snapback]

I don't think that we "take off" at all. I think that whatever side of the earth that was facing the opposite side of the sun would experience a second ice age and never have day, while the other side would be hotter than usual and never have night.

I don't think it would effect gravity. The gravity of the earth is effected by the earths core. The sun also plays a huge factor in this. If I remember correctly, on Mercury, 1 year is about 87 days.

Off topic, but interesting, fact: Pluto is only the last planet in the solar system for about 20 earth years. After 20 earth years it becomes the second to last planet for a few years(can't remember how many) before going back to being the last.

Another interesting fact: Scientists(or whoever the hell researches planets and stuff) think that they may have found another planet after Pluto, and that Pluto may possibly not be a planet at all.

Yeah I heard that too and I heard that its called Planet X. I've also heard that the government doesn't want us to know about it either. I'm not joking because thats what I heard from one of my mom's friends who heard it from friend of his.
mceggy
The tectonic plates (what we're all standin on, the Earth's crust) will still continue moving by 'floating' over the magma below but would eventually grind to a stop, before that happens we would lose gravity and begin to float like we would in space. Atmosphere would be lost very quickly and we'd all die but that's getting complicated.
Skribble
You guys are talking about a lack of atmosphere, that would upset gravity, but the world always has its own atmosphere and its own centre of gravity because of how big it is. And thanks to intertia the earth wouldn't stop instantly, just slow and there would be no more sunsets and sunrise and the world would get majorly fucked over. If however the earth suddenly stopped I think it would just kill us all because everything would jolt so quickly, could snap all our necks. This thinking is making me dizzy aye.
Verruckt
QUOTE(CoreyKo @ Oct 20 2005, 10:16 PM) [snapback]965742[/snapback]

QUOTE(mrrt51 @ Oct 21 2005, 05:13 AM) [snapback]965740[/snapback]

Yeah I heard that too and I heard that its called Planet X. I've also heard that the government doesn't want us to know about it either. I'm not joking because thats what I heard from one of my mom's friends who heard it from friend of his.

Only called Planet X cuz it hasn't been confirmed, so therefore, why name it? And why does the government think that we think that things like that don't exist? Area 51 for example. We know its there, but the government denies its existense. If it didn't exist then that area wouldn't be restricted to unauthorized personel. And the governent wouldn't be as defensive about it as they are.
Ima1337Pimp
Actualy there was a 10th planet discovered not too long ago and the founder named it Zena, what a gay name.
skinheadonthembta
QUOTE(GCM @ Oct 20 2005, 02:40 PM) [snapback]964924[/snapback]

yeah but this is a what if situation

If something that size hit us, then it wouldn't stop the rotation of the earth, it'd just smash us into pieces and kill everything on the planet. How do you think the dinosaurs died?

And Pluto isn't a planet - It's far too small to be called a planet - the are actually asteroids in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter that are almost the same size. The new planet however (called Rupert in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - the book not the film) is supposed to be about the same size as either Mercury or Venus (can't remember which) and orbits the sun, therefore making it a planet.

Just so you know, there is another moon as well. It's called Cruithne
Lord Steve0
I think if the earth just stopped spinning every thing would pretty much be destroyed.
Imagine a merry-go-round just stopping dead when it's spinning. If you're on it you'd go flying at roughly the speed it was going at.
So the earth going at 1000+mph wouls result in everything not bolted down to the earth moving very suddenly at 1000+mph. Not many things can survive that sort of acceleration without severe damage. The human body almost certainly can't survive acceleration from 0 to 1000mph in a time of one second.
Also, things with different mass to each othe rwould travel different distances and slow down differently. So a house would fly miles maybe, but the lighter stuff in it might not.
Of course most things would be smashed to bit by this.
I doubt you'd live to see the aftermath.
Viggars
If sum1 was standing exactly on the north pole wen the earth stoped spinning wot wud happen to him/her ??? Because every1 elses momentum is goin clock-wise but he/she is exactly on the top????
Roman
Well remember the earth doesn't rotote perfectly straight, it's on an axis so that would probably create somesort of motion for the person at the north pole.
Mr.Whatever
QUOTE(GCM @ Oct 20 2005, 07:35 AM) [snapback]964729[/snapback]

And What if u put ur head into the blander and press on the highest speed?
Ima1337Pimp
And Pluto isn't a planet - It's far too small to be called a planet - the are actually asteroids in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter that are almost the same size.

Pluto is a planet because it orbits the sun. Sure there are asteroids bigger than pluto but they do not orbit the sun.
FreemanXtreme
Lookie here

well, thats what Mr. Science Guy says... But yeah, we'd all die pretty quickly, lots of people would probibly snap their neck instantly. If we knew it was gonna happen, everyone could try to get on boats and go to the north pole or go to the south poll.... maybe we could start a ice colony in Antartica! We could ride penguins too!
snowboy
this si a very good question...ask a teacher smile.gif
Viva_La_Bam_
well we would go flying at about 1100 mph and wed all fucking die. now this is what I wonder. If everybody on the world got on the south pole anf farted, would the earth be propelled? thats my question
Un-Amurikan Bastage
QUOTE(ride_bmx @ Oct 20 2005, 04:33 AM) [snapback]964855[/snapback]

i think it would be kinda fun for a lil while but how long it would last is anyones guess

Probably live for a millisecond, depending on how close you are to the nearest stationary object...if you were in the desert, for example, it might be a few minutes, or you may continue on a straight trajectory out of the atmosphere straight into the sun...that would be cool...

And if an object hit us, large enough to stop the spinnning, we would all die from that, even people on the poles where the motion would not be felt...

About the airplanes...I would imagine that they would either be pummeled by bodies, trees, debris, buildings, etc. all flying into space, or if they're lucky, they'd land to find devastation...then die from the environmental effects...

I'm fairly sure there would be survivors, but they'd die from the earth dismantling itself from the lack of gravity or from the environmental effects...

@Ender
You bring a good point about the slide thing...but you would probably keep sliding into space as the earth is round and your trajectory is straight because gravity is no longer existant...

@Viggars
That particular person would not have any reply to the mailand on the radio...then they would be awept away by the lack of gravity...

@Ima1337pimp
Those asteroids do orbit the sun...it's called the asteroid belt...
GTA Will Live Forever
QUOTE(lil' shit @ Oct 30 2005, 09:50 PM) [snapback]977684[/snapback]

well we would go flying at about 1100 mph and wed all fucking die. now this is what I wonder. If everybody on the world got on the south pole anf farted, would the earth be propelled? thats my question

nice question...wonder what would happen... roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif
Lord Steve0
Hmmm that is indeed an most interesting question!

I've never needed an answer for it but hey! Someone please find out how to answer this!

I've heard that if everyone one the planet stood on the Isle Of Wight in the UK then it would sinks under the sea. I wonder why people work this stuff out?!?!?
undercoverbrother
QUOTE(Lord Steve0 @ Nov 1 2005, 03:59 PM) [snapback]980901[/snapback]

Hmmm that is indeed an most interesting question!

I've never needed an answer for it but hey! Someone please find out how to answer this!

I've heard that if everyone one the planet stood on the Isle Of Wight in the UK then it would sinks under the sea. I wonder why people work this stuff out?!?!?

Well, it's quite simple my dear Steve0, the amount of weight would be so huge ,if everyone on the earth was put on one place, that the island would not be able to hold such a capacity and would hence forth begin to sink.
Lord Steve0
No i meant the farting one. Sorry if my post made no sense!

I'm just interested to see if it would actually be possible to move the earth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.