Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SAMA - San Andreas Mission Analyzer
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA Old Gen > GTA 3D > Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas > GTA: San Andreas PC
Pages: 1, 2
gtasa4ever
I'm finished with the GUI for the mission analyzer tool I mentioned in this thread. It's attached.

What is it?
  • Reads your savefile and gives you a rundown of your completion status on all missions in the game.
  • Shows you the unique jumps that haven't been done on a map. Optionally also shows landing zones and camera positions for the jumps.
  • Shows you the gang tags, snapshots, horseshoes and oysters that haven't been done on a map.
How to run?
  • Unzip the file and run sama.exe. Open the savefile you want to analyze from the menu.
Release Notes:
  • The program requires that you have .NET framework 1.1 installed to run. If it's not there it won't start. The .NET framework can be found here. If you don't want to install .NET, I've added a command-line version of the tool. It's in the zip file and it's called gx. Run it from a command prompt with "gx save_file_name" and it will give you a printout with all the information.
  • It's been tested with version 1 savefiles. There is no risk in trying it on savefiles from other versions or with mods, since it only reads the savefile. If you do, it will do one of three things - 1) work correctly or 2) give an error message saying that the savefile is invalid or 3) believe the savefile to be valid and analyze it but show results that may be partially or fully incorrect. I've also tried it on 2nd Edition savefiles. It analyzes the file and gives the correct information for the unique jumps and pickups. I'm not sure about the mission information.
  • Storyline missions are not listed in detail. Instead, they're represented by "End of the Line", for which you get a status. I figured that's enough.
Version Updates Changelog
Oct 30 2005
  • Improved the analysis of safehouses and unique jumps. This part now works on a wider range of mods.
  • Command line version automatically searches for savefiles in the default folder where GTA:SA puts them as well as the current directory.
Oct 21 2005
  • Bug fix - the savefile wasn't closed properly so it couldn't be saved again while SAMA was still open.
  • Added a toolbar.
  • Added an option to analyze a GTA:SA loaded game running in parallel with SAMA. This feature uses memory addresses from the 1.0 US version of gta_sa.exe. The memory addresses are not version-portable. As with savefiles, there is no risk in trying it on your game, since it accesses the game's memory in read-only mode. You'll get an error message if a loaded game is not running or if it determines the version is incompatible.
  • Command line version uses ranges for item numbers (shorter printout).
Oct 19 2005
  • Added menu options for saving and printing the map.
  • Made the window size and settings on the map tab page "sticky". They get saved (to the registry) on exit and reloaded on the next run.
  • Command line version now uses pickup item numbers from the maps on gta-sanandreas.com instead of gamefaqs.com smile.gif
  • Fixed some minor errors in the coordinates of some of the items.
Oct 18 2005 - Original Version
SwedishMafia
It won't execute. It says something about an initiation problem.
Otherwise the idea is great.
CygnusX
QUOTE(SwedishMafia @ Oct 15 2005, 11:57 PM) [snapback]958856[/snapback]

Same here.
gtasa4ever
QUOTE(CygnusX @ Oct 18 2005, 03:36 PM) [snapback]962339[/snapback]

QUOTE(SwedishMafia @ Oct 15 2005, 11:57 PM) [snapback]958856[/snapback]

Same here.

Please read my note about .NET framework 1.1. As far as I know, that's the only obstacle to running it. If you have .NET 1.1 and it still doesn't run then please let me know and I'll try to figure out why. Thanks.
Jan J
Runs fine here biggrin.gif

It looks great, especially the map with jumps horseshoes and stuff. thumbup.gif
IPB Image
theunrealme88
I just downloaded SAMA but it wouldnt run so downloaded the .NET framework program and ti works fine now. Great work by the way, top program.
CygnusX
I think this is worth a Pin happy.gif
Delft
It works for me, but when I pick up an oyster, and reload SAMA, it say's I didn't pick up the oyster. It is still listed on the map as "Not picked up." Basically, is it supposed to show if you picked up anything in SAMA or not?
trep316
QUOTE(Groupe @ Oct 20 2005, 04:22 AM) [snapback]964014[/snapback]

It works for me, but when I pick up an oyster, and reload SAMA, it say's I didn't pick up the oyster. It is still listed on the map as "Not picked up." Basically, is it supposed to show if you picked up anything in SAMA or not?

You must exit sama, save your game, exit GTA, open up sama again, open the saved file and it should display the change/s.
gtasa4ever
QUOTE(trep316 @ Oct 19 2005, 11:53 PM) [snapback]964231[/snapback]

You must exit sama, save your game, exit GTA, open up sama again, open the saved file and it should display the change/s.

You only need to save the game and re-open it in SAMA. There's no need to exit anything.

I have code to read the data directly from the game's memory instead of the savefile, so that it could get updated "on the fly", but I didn't release it, because there are like 10 different versions of gta_sa.exe and reading the game's memory if far less portable than reading the savefile. For instance, Groupe has 2nd Edition I think and I'm pretty sure the 1.0 memory addresses wouldn't work there. That's also the reason why most trainers only work with version 1.
Jan J
QUOTE(gtasa4ever @ Oct 20 2005, 11:46 AM) [snapback]964842[/snapback]
You only need to save the game and re-open it in SAMA. There's no need to exit anything.
If you got SAMA open, it locks the save file, so GTA can't save in the same slot. GRA:SA gives you an error. So you have to either save in another slot, or exit SAMA before you save in the game.
gtasa4ever
QUOTE(Jan J @ Oct 21 2005, 10:53 AM) [snapback]965804[/snapback]

If you got SAMA open, it locks the save file, so GTA can't save in the same slot. GRA:SA gives you an error. So you have to either save in another slot, or exit SAMA before you save in the game.

This is a bug. I'll fix it. Thanks for pointing it out.

[Update: I uploaded a fix for this]
The Butcher
This seems like a great thing.

I will check it when i get home... (At work now, heheh)

BTW is it a safe download? Doesn't affect your gameplay in anyway, except that it help you get to 100% more easily?
gtasa4ever
I've decided to release a version with the feature I mentioned in post 10 of analyzing your running GTA game in addition to savefiles. It's less version-portable than using savefiles. It's safe to use though because it opens the GTA process in read-only mode and will give an error message if it detects an incompatible memory structure.

QUOTE(The Butcher @ Oct 21 2005, 03:13 PM) [snapback]965904[/snapback]

BTW is it a safe download? Doesn't affect your gameplay in anyway, except that it help you get to 100% more easily?

It opens the savefile in read-only mode and doesn't make any changes to it. Same goes for accessing the running game's memory with the new feature.
Scyx
Hmm, I've tried for a while to install this; but cannot.

My problem lies in the lack of the .NET runtimes, apparently for some reason they do not want to install. It gives me an error of being unable to 'open key' UNKNOWN/INSTALLER/FEATURES/seemingly random numbers and letters
..Verify you have sufficient access to the key.

Anyone have any insights as to how to fix this? (Or perhaps to tell me how to use the DOS version of the framework?)

Anyway, looks like an awesome program so far.
gtasa4ever
QUOTE(Scyx @ Oct 21 2005, 11:44 PM) [snapback]966301[/snapback]

..Verify you have sufficient access to the key.

Anyone have any insights as to how to fix this?

You need to be logged in as an administrator to install most software... sounds like that might be the problem.

QUOTE(Scyx @ Oct 21 2005, 11:44 PM) [snapback]966301[/snapback]

(Or perhaps to tell me how to use the DOS version of the framework?)

There is no DOS version of the framework. There's a DOS version of SAMA which doesn't need the framework. It's gx.exe in the zip file. Copy it to the folder where you have the savefiles, open a command prompt and go there, then type "gx save_file_name" to get a text printout of your status.
Atreyuu2003
When I open up Sama, every single thing has a red 'X' next to it, and all I've completed are the gang tags, and a couple of missions. Also, my map doesn't have anything on it, no matter how many of the boxes on the right I have checked or unchecked!
gtasa4ever
QUOTE(Atreyuu2003 @ Oct 23 2005, 10:23 PM) [snapback]968962[/snapback]

When I open up Sama, every single thing has a red 'X' next to it, and all I've completed are the gang tags, and a couple of missions. Also, my map doesn't have anything on it, no matter how many of the boxes on the right I have checked or unchecked!

what version are you using? do you have mods? Could you upload your savefile please?
Atreyuu2003
QUOTE(gtasa4ever @ Oct 23 2005, 04:10 PM) [snapback]969031[/snapback]

QUOTE(Atreyuu2003 @ Oct 23 2005, 10:23 PM) [snapback]968962[/snapback]

what version are you using? do you have mods? Could you upload your savefile please?

I'm using the one that was taken out of the stores. I have the Hot Coffee mod installed, and I don't know how to upload my save file, or even where to find it. Could you help?
P.S. What is the "gx" file in the zip for?
Atreyuu2003
I played around with it a bit. If I open my save files every time I open the program, then it works. But, is this correct? Do I have to go in and open every single save file every single time I use the program? That seems awfully redundant.
Also, do you have any idea how to recruit gang members with the PC version? I have a game guide, but it only tells how to do it on a Play Station.
Thanks again,
Troy
The Butcher
Recruit gangmembers:

Make sure to have a decent amount of respect.

Aim at a gang member with RMB (have fists only)
Then press G to recruit and H to leave them behind.
Plaka
Only one word to describe this ...

BRILLIANT

thumbup.gif clap.gif
agentt008
Is it possible to use this on PS2 saves if I have and Armax and plug-n-play usb drive
gtasa4ever
QUOTE(agentt008 @ Oct 25 2005, 07:11 PM) [snapback]971421[/snapback]

Is it possible to use this on PS2 saves if I have and Armax and plug-n-play usb drive

See my response to this here
KingRaf01
Ok, I've downloaded SAMA, ran it, get the red X's so Iknow it works... buuuut....

I have no clue where my save files are. I browsed through my Program Files/Rockstar Games, but am I in the wrong place?

Raf-
Jan J
It is under "My Documents" --> "GTA San Andreas User Files"
putyika
GREAT TOOL!!!!
Only one question: I've bought all properties ( safe houses ) in the game, but every time I open my latest savefile, there are a lot of red dots on the safehouses screen. It even markes that specific safehouse as not bought, in which I actually saved the game.
Any ideas?
Anyway, thanks for creating this tool!

gtasa4ever
QUOTE(putyika @ Oct 26 2005, 08:25 AM) [snapback]972200[/snapback]

Only one question: I've bought all properties ( safe houses ) in the game, but every time I open my latest savefile, there are a lot of red dots on the safehouses screen. It even markes that specific safehouse as not bought, in which I actually saved the game.
Any ideas?

Are you using the latest version of SAMA? There was a bug in one of the earlier versions that would sometimes report the safehouses wrong. If you are using the latest version, there may be another bug in that part, so if you could please post your savefile, I'll debug it. Thanks.
putyika
QUOTE(gtasa4ever @ Oct 26 2005, 12:07 PM) [snapback]972329[/snapback]

Any ideas?

Are you using the latest version of SAMA? There was a bug in one of the earlier versions that would sometimes report the safehouses wrong. If you are using the latest version, there may be another bug in that part, so if you could please post your savefile, I'll debug it. Thanks.

I'll check it until tomorrow... If there's still a bug with the latest SAMA I'll report it to you!
PsychoGB
I've just tried your Sama prog and I've got to say it is one brilliant program, Thank You!

It saves all the wallbash_red.gif having to go round checking all the snapshots etc., because you've missed one somewhere, or when you've done a load of them and get killed before you can save and not being able to remember where you got up to. I usually tick them off as I'm doing them, but they still seem to slip by me somehow huh.gif
putyika

Any ideas?

I've downloaded the latest SAMA, but I still got the bug with the safehouses...
I've uploded my savegame to http://rapidshare.de/files/6815166/GTASAsf2.b.html

Thanks for your help!
PsychoGB
QUOTE(putyika @ Oct 27 2005, 07:02 AM) [snapback]973557[/snapback]

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

I'm sorry if I've got this wrong, but in your earlier post you said you've got a lot of red dots on the safehouse screen. The safe house screen on my version hasn't got red dots, it's either a black tick for bought properties or a red cross for unbought. The only place I can see you would have red dots is on the map for unfinished tags.
gtasa4ever
QUOTE(putyika @ Oct 27 2005, 08:02 AM) [snapback]973557[/snapback]

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for uploading the file. Your savefile is from version 1, but you have some kind of a mod installed because when I try to load it in my SA it crashes. However, I took a look at the file itself. The reason SAMA shows the safehouse status incorrectly is related to the mod you have installed. The mod changes the order that certain events take place in the mission script, and that has a cascading effect on the data that SAMA looks at to find the status of the safehouses. The good news is that while debugging this I found a more robust way to check the status of the safehouses that would show the right result even with this mod. So I'm going to modify SAMA to use this better way of checking safehouses. Regards.

[Note: posted a new version that's able to handle this savefile]
putyika
QUOTE(PsychoGB @ Oct 27 2005, 08:51 AM) [snapback]973635[/snapback]

QUOTE(putyika @ Oct 27 2005, 07:02 AM) [snapback]973557[/snapback]

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

I'm sorry if I've got this wrong, but in your earlier post you said you've got a lot of red dots on the safehouse screen. The safe house screen on my version hasn't got red dots, it's either a black tick for bought properties or a red cross for unbought. The only place I can see you would have red dots is on the map for unfinished tags.

Sorry, those are red crosses correctly... But I've bought everything in the game...
gtasa4ever is right I've got hot coffe installed that's what could've influenced my savegame...

thrasher545
This is a fantastic program!!!! Thank you very much for the work that you have done on it. I hope that when I am done with my training in programming, I will be able to come up with ideas like this. GREAT JOB!!!

Thrasher545
Crispdj
Awesome program! I had an idea before of what i needed to complete to get 100%, but this showed me 1 race i didnt know about. So on that note, where is the dirt track?
JAJ
gtasa4ever: Great program! Thanks for creating it!

Crispdj: For Dirt Track, head to Blackfield Stadium in Las Venturas on a Monday or Wednesday.
Emperor
Just posting to let you know that Sama works fine with .NET Framework 2.

I'm running stock GTA:SA with no 1.01 patch, BTW.
eupholic
Downloaded, and works fine smile.gif
Great job on the program and thx for sharing it :thumbsup:
Spoiler
gtasa4ever,

u r a fucking genius!!!!!! this saves me from drowning as i am stuck at 99.47%.i'll get what left to be done & will get 100%.

u r a fucking genius dude.
clap.gif
skaro
saves are in "my documents" - drill down from there and you'll find the files for the 8 save slots.

SAMA is tres cool program, BTW, works fine on my saves. thumbup.gif
RhymeCraft
this must be for the PC version

EDIT: nvm i forgot what forum i was in lol
HEAT84
It should have been called The Original San Andreas Mission Analyzer. Then the acronym would be OSAMA laugh.gif
skierpage
I've been stuck at 69 of 70 unique jumps in the PS2 version for a year!

pdescobar on gtaforums.com (host seems down right now?) suggested I try SAMA. But I'm on a PS2. So I spent $80 to get the EMS PS2 USB Memory Adapter, and was able to get a a gta5000.psu file on my PC. (The excitement builds...) Then I used PS2 Save Builder v0.8 to open the .psu file and extract a particular save point, e.g. Country Endurance.b. (I'm as excited as Mel Gibson eyeing a tequila bottle!) Then I downloaded SAMA (Oct 30 2005 version) and it expects the same .b file extension and I open my file. Finally I'm going to find the ^*%$#! jump that's avoided capture! (I'm as excited as Paris Hilton near a video camera!!)

"File C:\blah\blah\Country Endurance.b has an invalid format"

Arggghhh!!!

What now?! Does SAMA work on PS2 saves transferred to a PC? pdescobar thought so: "The save formats are supposedly quite similar. If you can get it to a PC and SAMA doesn't like it, I'd be willing to take a look at it." I uploaded this .b file to http://www.skierpage.com/gta/CountryEndurance.b

BTW, I donated to Demarest for Unique Call which helped me out of the same jam on the PC version of GTA: Vice City.

Many many thanks!
HEAT84
Mayybe the problem is the first part of the filename. Instead of country endurance maye you could change it to the name the savegame file usually has which is GTASAsf1.b . I bet the missing one is one of the ones that you have to tap the lean forward button to get extra speed in order to jump far enough.

Edit: Well nevermind. I tried changing the filename but it didn't make a difference.

Edit 2: I tried loading the game but it didn't work. SA saw the savegame file, but when I went to load it, a new game started instead. Maybe you should try converting it again.
skierpage
Thanks for responding.

QUOTE(HEAT84 @ Sep 30 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]1238856[/snapback]

I bet the missing {unique jump} is one of the ones that you have to tap the lean forward button to get extra speed in order to jump far enough.

Yeah, like the LS airport. Every few months I drive around all the locations, but I get frustrated after a few hours, knowing that the answer lies in a single bit on my memory card!

I tried loading the game but it didn't work. SA saw the savegame file, but when I went to load it, a new game started instead.

You mean you tried loading my .b file extracted from a PS2 in GTA:SA for the PC? I guess that's a good test of whether the save games are compatible... I wonder if somewhere someone has analyzed the difference between PS2 saves and PC saves.

Maybe you should try converting it again.

I read my one and only GTA:SA file on my PS2 memory card in several different versions of the EMS PS2 USB memory adapter program and they produce an identical .psu file on the PC. I've run PS2 Save Builder to extract a few different save points and every .b file gives the same "File something.b has an invalid format" error in SAMA. I've even tried converting the .psu file into a .XPS file with PS2MemConv before extracting the .b file and the .b file is identical.

Is there documentation somewhere of the .b file format? Is the source for SAMA or a similar save game analyser available? Am I the only person to ever this? wallbash_red.gif

Again thanks.
HEAT84
I just wanted to let you know that in the load menu where shows the date and time of the last save, for your save game it says 00 SEPT 0000 00:00:00 instead of the proper time and date.
skierpage
QUOTE(skierpage @ Sep 30 2006, 04:52 AM) [snapback]1238640[/snapback]
(problems reading PS2 game saves with SAMA)

When the going gets tough, the tough go command-line!

C:\Games\Utilities\SAMA>gx CountryEnduranceCOPY.b
WARNING: Unable to find GTA:SA script, using default
Savefile script header not identical to main.scm, may be incompatible version
gang tags not done: 28 33
map can be found at http://www.gta-sanandreas.com/guides/tagsmap/map.htm
unique jumps not done: 69
map can be found at http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/gr...to_sa_jumps.png

clap.gif roll2.gif That was it. Camel's Toe heading east. I remember crashing onto the lip of the roof past the parking lot, I guess that didn't count.

So FYI the command-line gx program is more accepting of incompatibilities than the cool GUI SAMA program.

Where are the PayPal donation buttons for gtasa4ever (SAMA) and Vector (PS2 Save Tools)? notworthy.gifwub.gif
HEAT84
I was gonna suggest using the DOS version but I didn't think it would make a difference.
Formula
I'm in the exact same situation skierpage was in with only 69/70 unique stunt jumps completed on the PS2. I followed the process to get the '.b' file, only I used a MAX drive to get the file to my PC. When I go to execute gx.exe via the command prompt, I get the following message:

C:\Documents and Settings\Holly Darling.GHDA-WGCNUO80DL>"C:\Documents and Settings\Holly Darling.GHDA-WGCNUO80DL\Desktop\Garth\Grand Theft Auto\SAMA\gx.exe" gx
1_Freeway.b
Unable to map file gx, error = 6

I've tried fiddling with the line, but I still don't get anywhere:

C:\Documents and Settings\Holly Darling.GHDA-WGCNUO80DL>"C:\Documents and Settings\Holly Darling.GHDA-WGCNUO80DL\Desktop\Garth\Grand Theft Auto\SAMA\gx.exe" "1 Freeway.b"
Unable to open file 1 Freeway.b, error = 2

Can anyone help here? It would be much appreciated, as I am by no means used to DOS(mad.gif).

Giff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.