Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire- the easy way.
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Media Discussion > Graphics Tutorials
Albino
Step One-
Start out with a 300x300px black background, and on a new layer, draw a white line with a 9px brush across the lower part somewhere.
IPB Image

Step Two-
Take your smudge tool and with a 13px soft brush, 50%, smudge it up a little bit to look like flames.
IPB Image

Step Three-
Open the "Adjust Hue/Saturation" window. Duplicate these settings-
IPB Image

Step Four-
Copy and paste your flames, and lay the copy directly over your original flames. Adjust blending options and contrast to mess with the flame's brightness and color.
IPB Image

IPB Image

You're done! Told you it was easy.

All content of this tutorial is © Albino 2005
Davidgtza2
im impressed, ill try that some day
Smooth101
I might try that too. Nice tut Albinoez. smile.gif
Ender
Nice and easy tut. Now animate it! ahahahah. Wouldnt be that hard honestly. Just bust out the old smudge tool or liquify it. Smudge the flames a little bit, and save it as a frame. Then do it again and so on. I tried it once, quality of the flame isnt as good as yours but it still had the effect.

Now, where the hell did i put it...
psychÝ
I bet this is one of thoughs tutorials i would try and i wouldn't be able to smudge it to get it to look like fire dry.gif
Domino
Couldn't you just use a brush with orange?
Albino
I never thought of that...

Sorry for the bump. mellow.gif
Nanook
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Aug 4 2005, 08:14 PM) [snapback]792518[/snapback]

I bet this is one of thoughs tutorials i would try and i wouldn't be able to smudge it to get it to look like fire dry.gif

After 20 minutes of trying to get it to look like fire I have come to the same conclusion

Good tut, shame I can't do it
psychÝ
QUOTE(Nanook @ May 7 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]1148565[/snapback]

QUOTE(psychÝ @ Aug 4 2005, 08:14 PM) [snapback]792518[/snapback]

After 20 minutes of trying to get it to look like fire I have come to the same conclusion

Good tut, shame I can't do it

It is one of thoughs tutorials that clearly is never going to work, the only tutorials that work are ones where there are few variables and the ones that are there always give relativly the same effect.
Albino
It's your skill that makes it not work, probably.

Followed my exact directions and came out with this-

IPB Image
psychÝ
QUOTE(Albino @ May 13 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]1152631[/snapback]

It's your skill that makes it not work, probably.

Followed my exact directions and came out with this-

IPB Image

You made the tutorial of course you can do it........................ rolleyes.gif
Albino
But I followed my own directions EXACTLY.

If you do the same, you will have the same outcome.
psychÝ
QUOTE(Albino @ May 13 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]1152640[/snapback]

But I followed my own directions EXACTLY.

If you do the same, you will have the same outcome.

Your instructions consist of get brush and smudge line like fire, they are not good instructions.
Albino
If you don't know how to use the smudge tool, maybe you should look for a tutorial for that first... rolleyes.gif
Washunka
haha psycho can't do it

anyways the settings for the smudge brush i used were

mode:normal

strength: 53%

use all layers: UNchecked

finger painting: UNchecked

IPB Image
Albino
Pretty tight looking, 'shunka.
psychÝ
I haven't actually tried doing it, the point is it isn't a good tutorial.
Albino
QUOTE(Psycho)

Then you're not entitled to an opinion about it, now are you? Go away.
psychÝ
QUOTE(Albino @ May 14 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]1153688[/snapback]

QUOTE(Psycho)

Then you're not entitled to an opinion about it, now are you? Go away.

Yes I am, as I know that any tutorial that has a variable that is changed with the level of skill of a person is not a good one because the people using the tutorial will mainly be beginners who do not have the required knowledge to execute the action correctly.
The idea of a tutorial is to make something that will work every time whatever you do if you follow the instructions.
So therefore cannot use tools that require the use of any real input by the person doing it.
Albino
QUOTE(Wikipedia)
On the Internet, a tutorial is a document, software, or other media created for the purpose of instruction for any of a wide variety of tasks.

For media to be properly identified as a tutorial -- the following attributes should be present:

-A presentation of content, usually with an example or examples, often broken up into discrete modules or sections.
-Some method of review that reinforces or tests understanding of the content in the related module or section.
-A transition to additional modules or sections that builds on the instructions already provided. Tutorials can be linear or branching.

I'm right, you're wrong. Move along.
greed
I could even do it, and it looked pretty good. I'm not really into graphics all that much anymore either. Just look at my sig.
If a retard like me can do it from albino's tut, then it must be pretty simple.
coreyko_2003
Is there any way to do that in MS Paint by chance?
greed
I don't believe so as it doesn't have a smudge tool. Steal paint shop pro or photoshop somewhere on the net. It's not that hard to find.
psychÝ
QUOTE(Albino @ May 14 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1153711[/snapback]

QUOTE(Wikipedia)
On the Internet, a tutorial is a document, software, or other media created for the purpose of instruction for any of a wide variety of tasks.

For media to be properly identified as a tutorial -- the following attributes should be present:

-A presentation of content, usually with an example or examples, often broken up into discrete modules or sections.
-Some method of review that reinforces or tests understanding of the content in the related module or section.
-A transition to additional modules or sections that builds on the instructions already provided. Tutorials can be linear or branching.

I'm right, you're wrong. Move along.

Um...........that is what makes it a tutorial, that doesn't have the catagories that make something good.
Nanook
Can I just say that I tried and it looked nothing like what you said sad.gif
Albino
Psycho, one more negative comment for the sake of arguement gets a warn. Enough.
Handsome B Wonderful
For a laugh, i tried your tutorial with my copy of fireworks. Normally my attempts at fire are pretty lame...

IPB Image
IPB Image
and by the looks of things, they still are. sad.gif

I tried, but the smudge tool with fireworks is ass. I guess with some practice, i might actually be able to do it. It only took me about 4 minutes to do each one.

Edit: I finally got one that looks like Albino's. Yay.

Btw, good tutorial. I never noticed it because i rarely come in here.
tom.com
nice Tut ! 9/10
GFX.Absinthe
IPB Image

Non-Colored....

IPB Image

Colored... Jumpy.gif

I think i did really good for this being my first completed tutorial...

Thanks Albino wub.gif
Mr. Liberal Zombie
And you know, it doesn't have to be just a line that you turn into flames... Here's a graphic I made using Al's little fire tut here, plus some other GIMP features. I used my old name for file size.
IPB Image

If you want a tut for fiery text, PM me.
Vimptoô
bino brilliant totorial full mark for steps clap.gif
Westside92
tried it on a friends comp. worked like abicth. but then again, i can draw flames like a mutherfucker, so i know what to look for. i layered the flames tho, with different sizes of smudge tools. looked tight.

can somone post a link to the download place for a photoshop? or pm me it? id like to be able to make my own sigs, instead of begging other people to make em for me.
1UP
Mine keep looking to stright (SP), me cant do its either, Ive tried these smudge things befor with poor resalts, Ima afto stick to the other ways. v.v
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.