Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Very Basic Animation Tutorial
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Media Discussion > Graphics Tutorials
DuPz0r
Basic Animation Tutorial By DuPz0r

Ok, im not going to cover how to make realistic gun shots, or lights, or how to airbrush anything.
This is The most basic animation, just showing you how to get your work animated.

Step 1:
Making some flashing police car lights would take up about 6-8 frames if you want them to be smooth looking.
You'll have to create all the flashing and reflection yourself, but i'll show examples.
All Animation is the same, from movies, cartoons, 3d graphics, and so on.
Its all made from still frames, put together to make movments.

These are the frames i created:
user posted image

Step 2:
First of all you need to stack your frames ontop of each other in seperate layers of your sig, in the exact right place, for it to be smooth.
user posted image

Step 3:
Once you place all your layers in the right place, Make your sig, and then make a hole for your animation to show through.
user posted image

Step 4:
Save each frame with a name you can find easily, like "anim frame 1", "anim frame 2", "anim frame 3" and so on.
Save them as a .png to keep quality.
user posted image

Step 5:
I'm using Animation Shop, but im sure Imageready works in the same way.

Open your animation program, and goto File>Animtion wizzard
user posted image

Dimensions, same size as first frame.
Next>
Canvas Colour, Transparent.
Next>
Aspect Ratio, Centered In The Frame.
Filled With the Canvas Color
Next>
Yes, Repeat animation
frame displayed at 10
Next>
Add Image, and choose all your frames, in the right order.
Next>
Finish

user posted image

Step 6:
Goto View>Animation and make sure your animation is ok, then save it, choose all the best quality settings.
user posted image

Finished:
At the end you should have a very basic, but effective animation.
user posted image

You can obviously use any brush for the hole in the sig layer, to suit your animtion, or maybe you'd prefer something like a tv screen, just cut the screen out and have the animation behind it.
user posted image
Nanook
Good tut Dup!

The only difference with Image Ready is there is not a wizard, that I know of.

Before going to Image Ready put all the frames on a separate layer.
Click the "move to image ready button"
user posted image

From there move to the animation window, for each layer add a frame
user posted image

Then in each frame alter the visibility of the layers to show the layer you want for that frame
user posted image
(Click the eye)

Then back in the animation window alter the time the frame shows for by clicking the time at the bottom of the frame
user posted image

Click Play in the animation window to preview. If you are happy go File -> Save Optimised As

Images taken from various places and as such may be under copyright, right click -> properties to see where.

smile.gif
Fanatica Unleashed
Before we create an animation we need something to animate... Thats where someone needs to give examples... I.E: How to animate the lights etc...

But overall, Great tut! 9/10... I need to figure out realistic light flashes and then I'll try it. smile.gif

EDIT: I've got evrything that i need (copied off of DuPz0r, but I'm stuck.

Can someone explain how to do step 4 in more detail?
FX
Step 4:
Save each frame with a name you can find easily, like "anim frame 1", "anim frame 2", "anim frame 3" and so on.
Save them as a .png to keep quality.
Fanatica Unleashed
^^^ not funny ^^^

Anyways, I've done it now, I got slightly confused with how we have 4 frames in step 1, and then 6 frames in step 4...

But I know now.
Domino
QUOTE(Nanook @ Jun 2 2005, 01:52 PM)
Good tut Dup!

user posted image

user posted image

Then in each frame alter the visibility of the layers to show the layer you want for that frame
user posted image
(Click the eye)

Then back in the animation window alter the time the frame shows for by clicking the time at the bottom of the frame
user posted image

Click Play in the animation window to preview. If you are happy go File -> Save Optimised As

Images taken from various places and as such may be under copyright, right click -> properties to see where.

smile.gif
[right][snapback]656338[/snapback][/right]

Does that matter which photoshop that is for?
Nanook
QUOTE(MRBLUE @ Jun 2 2005, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE(Nanook @ Jun 2 2005, 01:52 PM)
Good tut Dup!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
(Click the eye)

user posted image

smile.gif
[right][snapback]656338[/snapback][/right]

Does that matter which photoshop that is for?
[right][snapback]656703[/snapback][/right]

Don't think so, they all come with ImageReady I think. Might be a different layout but should have all those functions
Eyemace
Nice tut, the police lights look coool...
DuPz0r
^^^ not funny ^^^

Anyways, I've done it now, I got slightly confused with how we have 4 frames in step 1, and then 6 frames in step 4...

But I know now.

Step 1 was just an example, so don't worry about that.

And the reason why i didn't say how to make realistic light flashing and stuff is because, its all down to the artist to produce real looking art, you just have to know how the surroundings react to the light and so on.
Domino
um, real quick, nanook, how do i get it to not save as psd?
DeKo
go to save optimised as, not save as.
Domino
O, thanx!
Fanatica Unleashed
QUOTE(DuPz0r @ Jun 3 2005, 01:59 PM)
^^^ not funny ^^^

But I know now.

Step 1 was just an example, so don't worry about that.

And the reason why i didn't say how to make realistic light flashing and stuff is because, its all down to the artist to produce real looking art, you just have to know how the surroundings react to the light and so on.
[right][snapback]658424[/snapback][/right]

But normally tutorials talk you through doing something whilst you do it. However your's did not have anything to start with... So I compromised and cut the frames out smile.gif.

Anyways, nice tut! I recommend that you give some easily usable frames next time smile.gif.

Please do not take offence. Thanks
DuPz0r
None taken, but i just used the first step to explain what animations is, for those that don't know tongue.gif (not you)
R3ACTION
could u explain how to create the flashing lights animation
thats all i wanted to know
DuPz0r
I used a star brush for the light, then i duplicated it, and used gussian blur on it.
Then i used airbrush to make the light relflections, and mixed the opacity's of them, and then i stuck the layers together.
And then the same process, for every frame.
Fanatica Unleashed
Cool, I guess you have to have a good sense of where the light reflections will be in real life too. Otherwise it wouldn't look real.

(P.S: Your new siggy is ultimate (June 8 2005).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.