Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Question for my politics module
EMBO
post Jan 13 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #1

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,887

So, I'm currently writing an essay for the politics module of my degree, and would love some input from you guys.

My question is:

Does religion have a place in an increasingly heated political climate?

Of course, being a die-hard atheist I think it doesn't. But any opinions are welcome.

This post has been edited by EMBO: Jan 13 2011, 04:59 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Heartless
post Jan 14 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #2

The universe goes on forever and we are alone
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 2,164

I think you give religion too much credit, or power. Politicians reflect society, and if it's a religious society, then it's necessary. Religion doesn't say the sky is green or that I'm a kettle. It simply espouses the idea of a single creative source, which currently cannot be proven or disproven by science. We simply don't know enough to say wether or not there is a god. We barely understand the definition of life or death, and we like to hope we understand more about the former. Science attempts to answer those same questions; Who are we? Why are we here? What is my purpose? Science, Religion, Politics, are all manifestations of the ego to understand, manipulate and control the external environment. Arthur C. Clarke said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A man dies in a cave and comes back. Is that a miracle? Chinese medicine? A dialysis machine? Times change, everything changes, but as things change more and more things stay the same. People are always looking for answers, and they'll find them anywhere thats comfortable.

--------------------

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Mar 13 2009, 01:45 AM) *
The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Die Zeiten haben sich geändert.
Achievements

+Quote Post
EMBO
post Jan 14 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #3

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,887

QUOTE (Mental Istid @ Jan 14 2011, 05:40 PM) *
I think you give religion too much credit, or power. Politicians reflect society, and if it's a religious society, then it's necessary. Religion doesn't say the sky is green or that I'm a kettle. It simply espouses the idea of a single creative source, which currently cannot be proven or disproven by science. We simply don't know enough to say wether or not there is a god. We barely understand the definition of life or death, and we like to hope we understand more about the former. Science attempts to answer those same questions; Who are we? Why are we here? What is my purpose? Science, Religion, Politics, are all manifestations of the ego to understand, manipulate and control the external environment. Arthur C. Clarke said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A man dies in a cave and comes back. Is that a miracle? Chinese medicine? A dialysis machine? Times change, everything changes, but as things change more and more things stay the same. People are always looking for answers, and they'll find them anywhere thats comfortable.

There's no doubt that politics is a necessary evil. And no, religion doesn't say any of those things, they were just over-exaggerated examples. What religion does say is that there is a God (or Gods in some religions) and the vast majority infer ideas about where we go when we die. And that's just what they are - ideas. If thousands of years hadn't gone in to establishing religious beliefs about heaven and hell or whatever other nonsense it entails, Clarke could have written 2001: My Lovely Day in Heaven Playing My Harp and Meeting Jesus. The key aspect therein is that Clarke was a Science Fiction writer. And without evidence to back up the notions that religions instill in the populace, fiction is all it will ever be. As I said, science provides what religion can never do - Evidence. The scientific method is grounded in logic and proving hypotheses. I've always believed that religion is nothing more than believing everything you've been told by someone who believed everything they were told. It's like Chinese Whispers, but people (sadly) don't realise that it isn't meant to be taken literally.

Whenever science endeavours to answer the important questions we mentioned, it is almost immediately pounced-upon by religious types for "playing God". The only reason people are religious is because those questions remain unanswered. It's a vicious circle. I am an avid subscriber to modern science. Some of it is complete horseshit I'll grant you, but the vast majority is seen all around us today. Turn your TV on - Science. Go to the doctor because you've got a bad back - Science. Drive your car - Science. What has religion given the world apart from fairytales and an innumerable amount of conflicts? When two biologists disagree over how to cure someone's diabetes, they don't gather up their followers and wage war on each other.

I think you need to believe in something or you'll just make yourself ill. And science is the closest thing I've found to truth so far.

This post has been edited by EMBO: Jan 14 2011, 06:04 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
Achievements

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 01:10 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4