DuPz0r
post Jan 1 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Still Standing
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

I really need to make myself a decent looking portfolio website ready for my third year, but have no idea where to start. I don't really have much experience in html or any other internet coding. I did make a basic crappy looking website for a college project once, but that wasn't anything special.

I've made the first steps by buying my own domain. I still need a host, but i dunno how much i should be paying for that. And i would like to know if there is any decent tutorials out there or even if you guys have any decent knowledge of web creation to pass on to me.

I want a nice clean portfolio but with some flash or something to to scroll through my work in a nice way. Have you guys got any cool suggestions on styles you've seen and/or how to implement those ideas?

Thanks.

Actually I'm not really that interested in a flash website. Just as long as i can make it look nice. Obviously i have an eye for design, i just wouldn't know much about adding it all together on the web page.

This post has been edited by DuPz0r: Jan 1 2011, 08:32 PM

--------------------
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Qdeathstar
post Jan 5 2011, 05:14 AM
Post #2

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

I agree with Psy, flash bogs down sites, and since your doing a portfolio type website having the very high degree of interactivity that flash provides isn't required.

Creating web pages is pretty easy as long as you know what you want and how to copy and past. You need front page or dream weaver because it makes testing a lot easier. There are also a lot of commercial solutions that can be bought outright but they kinda suck. (or are outrageously priced)

As far hosting, i would go with a known name like Network Solutions or Godaddy, or something like that because a lot of the 2.99/mo hosting websites around are less than reputable and they'll hold your site hostage the moment you do anything they consider "using to much resources"...

This post has been edited by Qdeathstar: Jan 5 2011, 05:22 AM

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Jan 5 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #3

Still Standing
Group Icon

Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Jan 5 2011, 05:14 AM) *
I agree with Psy, flash bogs down sites, and since your doing a portfolio type website having the very high degree of interactivity that flash provides isn't required.

Creating web pages is pretty easy as long as you know what you want and how to copy and past. You need front page or dream weaver because it makes testing a lot easier. There are also a lot of commercial solutions that can be bought outright but they kinda suck. (or are outrageously priced)

As far hosting, i would go with a known name like Network Solutions or Godaddy, or something like that because a lot of the 2.99/mo hosting websites around are less than reputable and they'll hold your site hostage the moment you do anything they consider "using to much resources"...

Good tips, thanks Qd.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 10:14 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4