> What's the best: Plasma or LCD TV's?
Marney1
post Nov 21 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #1

Godfather
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 48,547

I want to buy a 50" TV for my PS3 and although I'm impressed with the LCD TV I've got I'd like to know what you guys think is best (and why).
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
DuffMan
post Nov 21 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #2

I got 99 donuts cause a bitch ate one.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Go for LCD. Plasmas are too prone to burning in, which means if you're on a CoD MP marathon, the HUD will get engraved into the screen before too long. Plasma screens really aren't worth considering for anything these days, LCDs have come so far since you had to make the choice between the quality of the picture (particularly in terms of contrast and colour) and lifespan.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
demon
post Nov 22 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #3

Capo

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,672

LCD screens are always recommended as PC screens and for game consoles. The arguments I have heard base this claim on picture quality. Plasma TV's are (or has been) the better choice for movies.

Maybe part of the reason for this is that most PC monitors are smaller than 30 inches and you don't get many plasma screens that small. But since you are going for 50 inches you do at least have many plasma screens as a possible choice to consider. Go to some warehouses and they all will recommend a LCD screen. I believe no professional will recommend a plasma TV for gaming. I've seen consumer tests and I've been to warehouses and gathered info.

I don't remember all the reasons why LCD is better, but one reason had to do with contrast and ability to display blackness. I think blackness is more important for movies (or was it perhaps vice versa). But what I do remember is that the properties important for gaming makes LCD the best choice.

QUOTE (DuffMan @ Nov 22 2010, 12:33 AM) *
Go for LCD. Plasmas are too prone to burning in, which means if you're on a CoD MP marathon, the HUD will get engraved into the screen before too long. Plasma screens really aren't worth considering for anything these days, LCDs have come so far since you had to make the choice between the quality of the picture (particularly in terms of contrast and colour) and lifespan.

Can an image burn into a plasma screen? I thought that was a problem only on CRT.

Top quality picture used to mean shorter lifespan? I would have guessed high quality screens meant both good quality picture and long lifespan. unsure.gif

--------------------
The new GTA 5 website. GTA 5 forums.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 31 2010, 06:37 AM) *

That's for you ^
Use it in your sig or avatar because you are very special.

QUOTE (TF)
for being a little bitch
Edited by TF.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Nov 22 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #4

The universe goes on forever and we are alone
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 2,164

QUOTE (demon @ Nov 22 2010, 03:35 PM) *
LCD screens are always recommended as PC screens and for game consoles. The arguments I have heard base this claim on picture quality. Plasma TV's are (or has been) the better choice for movies.

Maybe part of the reason for this is that most PC monitors are smaller than 30 inches and you don't get many plasma screens that small. But since you are going for 50 inches you do at least have many plasma screens as a possible choice to consider. Go to some warehouses and they all will recommend a LCD screen. I believe no professional will recommend a plasma TV for gaming. I've seen consumer tests and I've been to warehouses and gathered info.

I don't remember all the reasons why LCD is better, but one reason had to do with contrast and ability to display blackness. I think blackness is more important for movies (or was it perhaps vice versa). But what I do remember is that the properties important for gaming makes LCD the best choice.

QUOTE (DuffMan @ Nov 22 2010, 12:33 AM) *

Can an image burn into a plasma screen? I thought that was a problem only on CRT.

Top quality picture used to mean shorter lifespan? I would have guessed high quality screens meant both good quality picture and long lifespan. unsure.gif

--------------------

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Mar 13 2009, 01:45 AM) *
The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Die Zeiten haben sich geändert.
Achievements

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 11:48 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4