> Projected Sales
BAMF
post May 6 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #1

Litterer

Group: Members
Member No.: 58,181
XBL Gamertag: Serotonin777

Does anyone have a guess or can offer any early indicators as to how well this game will sell? I'm interested in your thoughts, whether it be in terms of dollars or as compared, proportionally, to GTA IV?

It is hard for me to imagine a sizable portion of the GTA market not buying RDR but, arguably, the western premise won't appeal to everyone? That is hard to imagine too!

Anyway, what kind of market response do you think R* is in for on this one?
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
Jeff Threat
post May 6 2010, 04:25 AM
Post #2

Shoplifter

Member No.: 35,441
XBL Gamertag: Zombie RoboCop

I think it will sell amazingly. the majority of sales will goto 360.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post May 6 2010, 08:33 AM
Post #3

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 424
XBL Gamertag: aVarkatzas
PSN Name: Asthenia

BAMF, I've never watched a western in my life all the way through, unless you count BTTF III? Ha. I honestly wasn't the slightest bit interested in this game until the delay had already happened, and I know alot of my GTA playin' friends aren't too bothered by it, especially the ones who played GTA but didn't buy the DLC cause they thought it'd be shit, some who played TL&D and were let down by that, so they didn't get TBoGT, which I thought made TL&D look like rotting cowpat...

R* have alienated alot of people, but not because of their own faults - So many fans wanted something to trump San Andreas, and IV did, just not the way people wanted. No planes?! No parachutes (initially)?! NO JETPACKS?!?! ... The game became more for the hardcore GTA players, rather than the casual er... 15 year old.

Regardless, I think RDR will do brilliantly, but it won't be breaking any records. Which is a shame, but it seems like such an improvement on GTA's engine. Which is expected, this is the "Vice City" of this gaming generation, in a sense. The second R* Sandbox game, except this has so much more. The RP elements seem genuinely exciting too, not to mention the rest.

QUOTE (Jeff Threat @ May 6 2010, 05:25 AM) *

Care to elaborate?

This post has been edited by Asthenia: May 6 2010, 10:20 AM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post May 6 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #4

Pessimistic nihilistic.

Member No.: 10,896
PSN Name: ViceyThaShizzle

Well according to our poll, the PS3 version has 59 confirmed buyers as opposed to the Xbox's 47. Not that those numbers are going to affect the overall totals.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post May 6 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #5

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

QUOTE (ViceMan @ May 6 2010, 01:29 PM) *
Well according to our poll, the PS3 version has 59 confirmed buyers as opposed to the Xbox's 47. Not that those numbers are going to affect the overall totals.

Man, Take-Two would be pissed!

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post May 6 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #6

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

i think it will sell evenly across both platforms... who really fucking cares which one grabs a few thousand more than the other, these fanboy wars need to stop right now... it makes all gamers look bad...

i predict sales close to 6 million units total... i think GTAIV sold close to 10 million, right? well, i think RDR could pull numbers close to those... i'm optimistic that it will sell better than GTAIV but, i know the name doesn't doesn't sell like GTA does... i'm pretty sure the next RDR will be a HUGE success, on the scale of their GTA counterpart...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Jeff Threat
post May 6 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #7

Shoplifter

QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 6 2010, 04:33 AM) *

Care to elaborate?

Muliplatform games have always sold more on 360, not being a fanboy... I am just going by what I have seen with muliplatform game sales.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post May 6 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #8

Godfather
Group Icon

Member No.: 48,547

I think sales will seem disappointing for the first month or so until everyone hears from their friends - how fucking brilliant it is - then the sales will rocket.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post May 6 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #9

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

i don't know, i think R* has been rolling out the hype machine for a few months now... anybody that follows gaming knows about RDR... it's those who never check gaming news that R* needs to cater to...

@jeff threat - is a few thousand more sales going to make much of a difference? no... right now, with games like this, sales will be pretty even... the gap between the consoles is the closest it's ever been... where only maybe a million separate the two... and that will only translate to maybe a few thousand more sales on the 360... big whoop, who cares anymore... i'm sick of hearing about this shit...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Jeff Threat
post May 6 2010, 04:31 PM
Post #10

Shoplifter

calm down. he asked to elaborate and i did.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post May 6 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #11

Boss
Group Icon

Member No.: 40,397

360 rools!

Jeff Threat - I'm sending you a friend request. I can't wait to play with your posse. Wink, wink.

Our site makes up a very small demographic of gamers - trying to make a poll on which console we're getting the game on is a terrible sample. Most 360 users are long gone from the GTA experience, remember EFLC was out last year for us. Anyway, there is no way to tell which console the game will do better on, unless you base it on past sales of similar games which historically is the 360.

This post has been edited by Stoic Person Eater: May 6 2010, 05:12 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post May 6 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #12

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

QUOTE (bOnEs @ May 6 2010, 03:26 PM) *
i think it will sell evenly across both platforms... who really fucking cares which one grabs a few thousand more than the other, these fanboy wars need to stop right now... it makes all gamers look bad...

i predict sales close to 6 million units total... i think GTAIV sold close to 10 million, right? well, i think RDR could pull numbers close to those... i'm optimistic that it will sell better than GTAIV but, i know the name doesn't doesn't sell like GTA does... i'm pretty sure the next RDR will be a HUGE success, on the scale of their GTA counterpart...

I wasn't trying to start a flame war, I like Jeff Threat, I was just curious.

Also, I was talking about your 2nd point with Kuwong earlier, it's a good point too, and I didn't think about the possible sequel, I bet it does fucking blow up 10x better than RDR.

QUOTE (Jeff Threat @ May 6 2010, 04:19 PM) *
QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 6 2010, 04:33 AM) *

Care to elaborate?

Muliplatform games have always sold more on 360, not being a fanboy... I am just going by what I have seen with muliplatform game sales.

Not accusin' dude, like I said ^^^ - I was just curious.

QUOTE (Marney1 @ May 6 2010, 04:21 PM) *
I think sales will seem disappointing for the first month or so until everyone hears from their friends - how fucking brilliant it is - then the sales will rocket.

I'll definitely be spreading the words, my friends definitely aren't excited enough about this to buy on release.

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ May 6 2010, 06:11 PM) *
360 rools!

Jeff Threat - I'm sending you a friend request. I can't wait to play with your posse. Wink, wink.

Our site makes up a very small demographic of gamers - trying to make a poll on which console we're getting the game on is a terrible sample. Most 360 users are long gone from the GTA experience, remember EFLC was out last year for us. Anyway, there is no way to tell which console the game will do better on, unless you base it on past sales of similar games which historically is the 360.

I think it was Massacre who said it, and he summed it up perfectly - "This site has a serious deficit of 360 users"

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Jeff Threat
post May 7 2010, 02:48 AM
Post #13

Shoplifter

No No! I know you weren't trying to say i was. I just was stating to assure others i was trying to be fanboyish in what i was trying to say.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post May 7 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #14

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jeff Threat @ May 7 2010, 03:48 AM) *
No No! I know you weren't trying to say i was. I just was stating to assure others i was trying to be fanboyish in what i was trying to say.

Cool - fuck deez hoes. Especially that bOnEs fella.

Oh, and Stoic. If that IS his real name. angry.gif

I need more info... and more people need to comment in this forum. I'm jonesin'!

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
The Awesome One
post May 7 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #15

Poshboy...

Member No.: 49,030
XBL Gamertag: the mighty moa

QUOTE (Jeff Threat @ May 6 2010, 05:31 PM) *
calm down. he asked to elaborate and i did.

Jeff, sending a friend request your way. My GT'S therealcc.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Jeff Threat
post May 7 2010, 09:56 PM
Post #16

Shoplifter

cool, thanks. got it

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
BAMF
post May 7 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #17

Litterer

Member No.: 58,181
XBL Gamertag: Serotonin777

My expectation is that RDR will be a better game, all in all, than GTA IV, in terms of graphics, game play, missions and fun things to kill time doing, other than missions. But I'm doubtful it will be as successful from a sales perspective. I want it to be successful so that R* has plenty of money to keep pushing the envelop and experimenting with the open world genre!

Asthenia, you have to go out and rent "Unforgiven" to help tide you over. It is not only a great western but one of my favorite movies. Let me know what you think!
Achievements

+Quote Post
Dustdevil
post May 10 2010, 01:21 AM
Post #18

Upstanding Citizen

Group: New Members
Member No.: 58,259
PSN Name: tacopig

I think it will do well but nothing near the level of GTA.

I've never been much of a GTA gamer but I'm a huge fan of the Wild West.
Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post May 10 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #19

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

QUOTE (BAMF @ May 7 2010, 11:06 PM) *
My expectation is that RDR will be a better game, all in all, than GTA IV, in terms of graphics, game play, missions and fun things to kill time doing, other than missions. But I'm doubtful it will be as successful from a sales perspective. I want it to be successful so that R* has plenty of money to keep pushing the envelop and experimenting with the open world genre!

Asthenia, you have to go out and rent "Unforgiven" to help tide you over. It is not only a great western but one of my favorite movies. Let me know what you think!

Thanks man, I get paid Wednesday I think so I'll head out and get it then.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 08:23 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4