IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> US Air Force buys 2000 PS3s, "Best LAN party EVAR!" says General....
TreeFitty
post Feb 1 2010, 02:12 AM
Post #1

[ShitKickers] Posse
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35,531
PSN Name: therealtreefitty

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged...om-ps3s/1387199

Copy/paste of short article:
No doubt the Air Force purchasing department gets some odd requests from time to time, but we'd love to have seen the grin on the face of the officer tasked with procuring some 1,700 Playstation 3s for a USAF facility in Rome, NY.

Before you complain about your tax dollars being spent on toys, the machines aren't for gaming. Instead, the facility -- an Air Force research lab -- will join them into a parallel-computing cluster that, when complete, will number well over 2,000 PS3s.

The supercomputer -- snappily monikered "500 TeraFLOPS Heterogeneous Cluster" -- will be put to work playing 2,000 simultaneous games of God of War III. Wait, no. Among other things, they'll be attempting to simulate the way the human brain processes information and how it pulls off the remarkably difficult task of recognizing the content of images.

"Humans can routinely do these things, but a computer struggles to do it," the facility's computing director Mark Barnell told Stars and Stripes. "In a general sense, we are interested in making it autonomous."

The cluster won't be as powerful as a regular supercomputing rig, but it will be cheaper and more environmentally friendly: it'll consume as much as 95% less electrical power and shut down unused machines when the cluster isn't running at full capacity.

tl;dr 2000 PS3s = super computer

--------------------
gta 5

People say I'm crazy for running into burning buildings. I say I'm crazy because I do it for free.
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Bain
post May 16 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #2

Rat
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 9,884

Well thats good because between air conditioned bases god knows the pampered air force needs to get some cod while infantry units of the army and marine corps are begging for gear on their backs to carry just to keep their fucking lives from expiring.

And the idea of this particular article, just fucking ridiculous. This type of fucking absurd research is for civilian funded departments and wild billionaires who sneeze money and are bored.

Or no wait, I would prefer that my closest friends who are in Afghanistan right now had less supplies in the idea of mental research through the catalyst God of motherfucking war for the people who never even see taliban or insurgents while their 6 month deployments to neutral countries continue.

--------------------
BAIN POINTS:

Pickles: +7
D-O: +88
Mekstizzle: +10
QD: -10
Frog Choker: + 13
Analogkid: -25
Psy: -8
Ast: +10
Treefitty: -10
Viceman: -59*
Massacre: +5
Spoiler: -14
Voodoo: +17

*= Fail
Achievements

+Quote Post
calimann83
post May 18 2010, 01:11 AM
Post #3

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,689

QUOTE (Bain @ May 16 2010, 03:04 PM) *
Well thats good because between air conditioned bases god knows the pampered air force needs to get some cod while infantry units of the army and marine corps are begging for gear on their backs to carry just to keep their fucking lives from expiring.

And the idea of this particular article, just fucking ridiculous. This type of fucking absurd research is for civilian funded departments and wild billionaires who sneeze money and are bored.

Or no wait, I would prefer that my closest friends who are in Afghanistan right now had less supplies in the idea of mental research through the catalyst God of motherfucking war for the people who never even see Taliban or insurgents while their 6 month deployments to neutral countries continue.

well first off army and in our rec center as well, but the Army rec center had twice has many game systems then ours did, and you want to know why? because these guys are sitting there missing their family's and worrying about getting killed, and the Military knows that spending a few bucks on PS3s to help their moral. also the cost between PS3s and armor is drastic. I dont know if they have rec centers with PS3s in Iraq, but Im sure if they did both the army and air force would be using them.

2nd: its not like they are going out in pickup trucks and tank tops. they did use unarmored hummers at the begging of the war because thats what they had (they also didn't have the PS3s then). things have changed. at least in Iraq NO ONE left the base with out full body armor, and they drove very much armored vehicles. yes there are supply problems, there always will be but the air force buying PS3s for entertainment or research will not change anything about that.

finally I was SF in the Air Force, and I did not spend 6 months in a neutral county, I spent a year in Iraq. I have many Air force friends over there still, and I have others who have been to, are in, or going to Afghanistan, and they are not just sitting on base ether. yes most of the Air Force does not sitting on the front lines but that is not their job. No they bring the army and marine the food, and armor and other equipment they need to fight, and they bring them home. we all have or part to play.

As for the article, I have no idea what is really behind it, and I will not make any assumptions about it. there are people who try to make money off this war, I agree, and it sucks.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Bain
post May 20 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #4

Rat
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 9,884

QUOTE (calimann83 @ May 17 2010, 07:11 PM) *
QUOTE (Bain @ May 16 2010, 03:04 PM) *

Or no wait, I would prefer that my closest friends who are in Afghanistan right now had less supplies in the idea of mental research through the catalyst God of motherfucking war for the people who never even see Taliban or insurgents while their 6 month deployments to neutral countries continue.

well first off army and in our rec center as well, but the Army rec center had twice has many game systems then ours did, and you want to know why? because these guys are sitting there missing their family's and worrying about getting killed, and the Military knows that spending a few bucks on PS3s to help their moral. also the cost between PS3s and armor is drastic. I dont know if they have rec centers with PS3s in Iraq, but Im sure if they did both the army and air force would be using them.

2nd: its not like they are going out in pickup trucks and tank tops. they did use unarmored hummers at the begging of the war because thats what they had (they also didn't have the PS3s then). things have changed. at least in Iraq NO ONE left the base with out full body armor, and they drove very much armored vehicles. yes there are supply problems, there always will be but the air force buying PS3s for entertainment or research will not change anything about that.

finally I was SF in the Air Force, and I did not spend 6 months in a neutral county, I spent a year in Iraq. I have many Air force friends over there still, and I have others who have been to, are in, or going to Afghanistan, and they are not just sitting on base ether. yes most of the Air Force does not sitting on the front lines but that is not their job. No they bring the army and marine the food, and armor and other equipment they need to fight, and they bring them home. we all have or part to play.

As for the article, I have no idea what is really behind it, and I will not make any assumptions about it. there are people who try to make money off this war, I agree, and it sucks.

First, a ton of fucking units have access to PS3s in Iraq. I would prefer to have one guy with body armor to the ten PS3s to cover the fucking price. Until your bitch ass it out there under fire of course you would boost morale of people who dont even see combat.

Second, that is a complete fucking lie. The marine corps, and army units, dont have full vody armor. Thats practically a fucking myth. And if you do, the small select amount of units, who do, carry 85 fucking pounds on them. Put that on and walk up two flights of stairs. Enjoy.

Also, their humvees, some had no armor, or very little. I know because I walk by them every day at my fucking batallion, genius.

Oh, and the air force buying PS3's means that fucking funding does not reach the people who really need it.

Oh, finally, No shit a fucking bitch ass airmen delivering supplies to a base in the fucking rear would try to defend his pathetic, worthless fucking part in a real war. Congrats man. I hope your friend endure their hardships of not having lotion for their skin , Pop tarts, and fucking call of duty. Good luck on making sure people who get blown up by IEDS are comforted by their fucking MRES.

--------------------
BAIN POINTS:

Pickles: +7
D-O: +88
Mekstizzle: +10
QD: -10
Frog Choker: + 13
Analogkid: -25
Psy: -8
Ast: +10
Treefitty: -10
Viceman: -59*
Massacre: +5
Spoiler: -14
Voodoo: +17

*= Fail
Achievements

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- TreeFitty   US Air Force buys 2000 PS3s   Feb 1 2010, 02:12 AM
- - angeal 18   I was going to say cool story bro, But I didn...   Feb 1 2010, 03:25 AM
|- - TreeFitty   Not really much to the story. Government bought a ...   Feb 1 2010, 03:29 AM
|- - angeal 18   QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 31 2010, 07:29 PM)...   Feb 1 2010, 03:35 AM
- - ENVi3   that makes this topic awkward ...   Feb 1 2010, 04:33 AM
- - TreeFitty   ... Anyone think this won't work? Or how it m...   Feb 1 2010, 04:39 AM
- - DonkeyTits   I think it's an extreme waste of my money as w...   Feb 1 2010, 05:02 AM
- - SPOILER   i think it would work. it's theoretically poss...   Feb 1 2010, 02:46 PM
- - PS Fanboy   *Insert Fanboyistic comment about how much better ...   Feb 1 2010, 03:52 PM
- - DuPz0r   BS, they just wanted a communal room full of ps3 s...   Feb 1 2010, 08:12 PM
- - Kaptain.Kuntz   QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Feb 1 2010, 08:12 PM) BS,...   Feb 1 2010, 09:57 PM
- - DonkeyTits   They could've just used standard desktop cpus ...   Feb 2 2010, 08:34 AM
|- - TreeFitty   QUOTE (DonkeyTits @ Feb 2 2010, 03:34 AM)...   Feb 2 2010, 08:49 AM
- - DonkeyTits   They should have chosen results over green. If th...   Feb 2 2010, 09:40 AM
- - Marney1   Total bollocks about the 'green' issue, wh...   Feb 2 2010, 10:45 AM
- - SPOILER   ah now i remember. could it be use for training th...   Feb 2 2010, 02:17 PM
- - TreeFitty   QUOTE (DonkeyTits @ Feb 2 2010, 04:40 AM)...   Feb 2 2010, 03:41 PM
|- - DonkeyTits   QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Feb 2 2010, 08:41 AM) ...   Feb 2 2010, 10:52 PM
|- - Marney1   QUOTE (DonkeyTits @ Feb 2 2010, 10:52 PM)...   Feb 3 2010, 01:30 AM
- - TreeFitty   They may not have announced it as much (or people ...   Feb 3 2010, 01:56 AM
|- - Marney1   QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Feb 3 2010, 01:56 AM) ...   Feb 4 2010, 02:15 AM
- - Pelican   I like your opinion and all, but with your 41 Achi...   Feb 4 2010, 02:09 AM
- - TreeFitty   Lowering taxes is a topic all it's own.   Feb 4 2010, 02:24 AM
- - Bain   Dude fuck the air force. They are so wasteful with...   Feb 12 2010, 03:04 AM
|- - Geert Wilders   QUOTE (Bain @ Feb 11 2010, 10:04 PM) Dude...   Feb 12 2010, 03:40 AM
|- - Bain   QUOTE (Geert Wilders @ Feb 11 2010, 09:40...   Feb 15 2010, 01:26 AM
- - TreeFitty   Big budget for airplanes that people think are onl...   Feb 12 2010, 03:51 AM
- - calimann83   Thats pretty crazy, the PS3 must be quite a machin...   May 16 2010, 07:26 PM
- - Bain   Well thats good because between air conditioned ba...   May 16 2010, 10:04 PM
- - calimann83   QUOTE (Bain @ May 16 2010, 03:04 PM) Well...   May 18 2010, 01:11 AM
- - Bain   QUOTE (calimann83 @ May 17 2010, 07:11 PM...   May 20 2010, 10:08 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 11:41 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4