IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Ballad vs TLAD vs GTA IV, thoughts/summary
Guest_6 shooter_*
post Dec 29 2009, 12:21 PM
Post #1

Guests

I finished TBOGT a few days ago and decided it's time to sum GTA IV series up. I am not going to provide an in-depth analysis, but I wanna pinpoint biggest ups and downs of all GTA IV games, comparing the 3 games vs. one another as well as against previous GTA games (with GTA San Andreas as the main reference).

GTA IV world in general:

PROS
- new game engine: graphics (architectural details!) and animation, also 5.1 sound (I'm not sure whether the latter was a novelty indeed)
- vast urban landscape to explore
- variety and accessibility of means of transport
- driving: more realistic than before and varying from vehicle to vehicle
- great new vehicles (esp. sports cars)
- friends & activities done with them: a fun and semi-organized way to spend time in free-roam
- increased AI of peds and drivers
- more realistic behavior of peds and drivers - they actually go from point to point (not just drive around like in previous GTA games)
- cool collectibles wink.gif
- usable internet

CONS
- playability in general; while GTA SA was a complex and fun game to digest, GTA IV was so only at times, leaving few things to do after getting 100% (or even before that)
- complex player character development(Niko/Johnny/Luis) development (no bodybuilding, too few clothes, no tattoos...)
- no vehicle customization (no modding garages like in SA)
- no rural landscapes (this is a controversial argument, I know - it's LC after all, but San Andreas's countryside/desert landscapes added a lot to the atmosphere)
- no driving schools (they were so much fun in SA), no gun

Now let's see about 3 GTA IV games:

GTA IV

PROS
- it was the main game, so it had more of everything than the DLCs
- unique jumps (DLCs don't have them)
- relation between friend's relations and storyline
- choices you can make in the main storyline
- interesting car theft missions (no exact location of vehicles, images via phone)

CONS
- very few side activities
- no paramedic/firefighter missions
- a lackluster character (Niko) with douchbag appearance and no balls (no match for Claude, Tommy or CJ)
- too easy and too one-sided missions

TLAD

PROS
- great new music
- cool bikes
- awesome safehouse (TLAD club)

CONS
- too one sided missions (half of them might as well be part of the gang wars thing)
- softness of the character (Johnny) - not how I imagine leader of a biker gang; I'd prefer Billy hadn't he turned out to be a betraying scum
- too easy theft jobs/dirty laundry side missions
- boring gang wars
- too easy and boring final mission

TBOGT

PROS
- parachutes/base jumps
- triathlon races
- drug wars (with a variety of types)
- great new vehicles
- finally a cool tough guy character (Luis), not a fucking pussy

CONS
- too easy and boring final mission

I'd say even if put together, all GTA IV games are no match to the fantastic playground that was San Andreas. Technical advancement excites for a brief moment only, but it is playability that differs fascinating games from just good ones.

Within the world of GTA IV itself I'd say TBOGT is the best installment (which is, hopefully, good sign for the future - R* saw what went wrong with GTA IV and TLAD, unless of course all 3 games had been designed at once at the same time), although of it is GTA IV - the main game that is the biggest and thus offers most fun in total.

And what do you think?

This post has been edited by 6 shooter: Dec 30 2009, 12:00 PM
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- 6 shooter   The Ballad vs TLAD vs GTA IV   Dec 29 2009, 12:21 PM
- - Stoic Person Eater   Gay Tony was the best. GTAIV was great. TLAD was g...   Dec 29 2009, 02:33 PM
- - Massacre   My biggest disappointment is that Rockstar most li...   Dec 29 2009, 05:28 PM
- - Captain.Charisma   QUOTE (Massacre @ Dec 29 2009, 05:28 PM) ...   Dec 29 2009, 10:07 PM
- - Flea   Am i the only one who liked TLAD? I liked TLAD and...   Dec 29 2009, 10:27 PM
|- - 6 shooter   QUOTE (Flea @ Dec 29 2009, 11:27 PM) Am i...   Dec 30 2009, 12:07 PM
- - Captain.Charisma   QUOTE (Flea @ Dec 29 2009, 10:27 PM) Am i...   Dec 29 2009, 10:40 PM
- - Captain.Charisma   I liked the final Lost and Damned mission. It coul...   Dec 30 2009, 10:21 PM
- - 6 shooter   No it wasn't. It was too damn easy. Both TLAD...   Jan 2 2010, 04:07 PM
- - Flea   I dunno, i really liked the story and missions in ...   Jan 6 2010, 12:00 PM
|- - 6 shooter   QUOTE (Flea @ Jan 6 2010, 01:00 PM) i rea...   Jan 10 2010, 08:46 PM
|- - §ynch   I'm not liking the mission targets of TBOGT. [...   Jan 16 2010, 08:21 AM
|- - 6 shooter   QUOTE (§ynch @ Jan 16 2010, 09:21 AM) I...   Jan 16 2010, 02:42 PM
- - Massacre   Do you even get anything for 100%'ing all the ...   Jan 16 2010, 06:28 PM
|- - §ynch   QUOTE (6 shooter @ Jan 16 2010, 06:42 AM)...   Jan 16 2010, 07:00 PM
|- - 6 shooter   QUOTE (Massacre @ Jan 16 2010, 07:28 PM) ...   Jan 19 2010, 01:55 PM
- - Massacre   Oh right. I keep forgetting we have guides here.   Jan 16 2010, 07:13 PM
|- - §ynch   QUOTE (Massacre @ Jan 16 2010, 11:13 AM) ...   Jan 16 2010, 07:15 PM
- - Jacko90   I completed The Ballad of Gay Tony today but I won...   Feb 21 2010, 06:58 PM
- - Edgecrusher   I thought GTA IV had the best storyline, but only ...   Feb 23 2010, 02:05 PM
- - Jacko90   QUOTE I think the way the expansions look is ingen...   Feb 23 2010, 05:45 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 06:22 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4