Reply to this topicStart new topic
> English accents
0bs3n3
post Dec 29 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #1

Leece

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,792

So I was watching this episode of Top Gear and they were mocking people from Cheffield. And it got me thinking, why are there so many different accents on such a small island? Being a predominately British forum, can anyone give me a brief rundown of the major ones? How geographically separated are they?

This post has been edited by 0bs3n3: Dec 29 2009, 10:57 AM
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Psy
post Dec 29 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #2

You'll Never Walk Alone
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
XBL Gamertag: Psyware
PSN Name: Psycopsy
Xfire Identity: Psyware

Each major town pretty much has it's own accent and dialect, in a similar way to different states in USA.

Mainly London is full of cockneys.
Birmingham has brummies.
Leeds/Yorkshire/Manchester have a retarded sounding lancashire accent.
Liverpool are scousers.
Newcastle are Geordies.

There's loads more but I'm sure there's a website that explains them all with audio examples.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post Dec 29 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #3

Pessimistic nihilistic.

Member No.: 10,896
PSN Name: ViceyThaShizzle

QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Dec 29 2009, 10:56 AM) *
So I was watching this episode of Top Gear and they were mocking people from Cheffield. And it got me thinking, why are there so many different accents on such a small island? Being a predominately British forum, can anyone give me a brief rundown of the major ones? How geographically separated are they?

You mean Sheffield. There's quite a lot of local dialects, you have to remember we've been invaded countless times by the Vikings, Normans, Romans, Angles, Saxons and many others. Then there were the indigenous celtic tribes already living here.

Generally I think Cornwall has a pretty standard accent which isn't too noticeable. Then heading up to London you have various dialects, a third of London is made up of the Pakistani, Indian and other communities, so those factor in alot and influence the accents there. In the East-end of London there's a strong accent which I won't refer to as cockney because it's so outdated, but it's like it. The most noticeable trait of this accent is the removal of the 'H' at the beginning of words, with also extends to some words beginning with 'Wh'. We also have this in Essex, being just East of London, and we're regarded as I guess the equivilant of Alabama in America - yokels that nobody can understand, the scum of society, but this mainly refers to the south of Essex (the part i'm from) along the Thames estuary rather than rural Northern Essex. Although I do talk in the usual Essex drawl when i'm with friends I wouldn't say my accent's that bad, I frequently use large long-winded words quite competently. Unfortunately, the common chav is rife here, with wiggers trying to sound like ghetto gangstas, making them barely comprehensible, but it makes them look "cool" and "hard".

I'm not going to go into detail about other accents because it'll be nothing more than a long, uneducated and unverified laugh at their expense, but i'll say this; Liverpool and Manchester have fucking hideous accents. I've never visited anywhere North of Stevenage so I guess in that respect i'm lucky. The Midlands and the North have many different accents, which can vary from town to town.

Optional sarcastic reply: (delete as applicable)

No, we all talk completely perfectly, there are no dialects or regional accents, and everybody charmingly and politely waves to each other in the street, before offering them a cup of tea and a crumpet. In fact, the way we are depicted on Family Guy is totally accurate, and nobody ever ever gets stabbed or shot since we're too girly for weaponry. It's such a wonderful life.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Dec 29 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #4

Godfather
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 48,547

And Bradford was invaded by Pakistan.
Achievements

+Quote Post
The Awesome One
post Dec 29 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #5

Poshboy...

Member No.: 49,030
XBL Gamertag: the mighty moa

I find it amazing how scousers can understand each other. I dont have a clue what they are saying. I just nod. I suppose scousers cant understand cockneys though.

While we are on the subject of accents, I would like to say that posh people dont have their own accent. I know plenty of posh people. Ive been up to horse races, none of the people ive spoken to have a posh accent. Some do speak more formal, but they do not put on a voice.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
DiO
post Dec 30 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #6

Forgot about member titles for awhile there...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

QUOTE (Psy @ Dec 29 2009, 08:00 AM) *
Each major town pretty much has it's own accent and dialect, in a similar way to different states in USA.

Birmingham has brummies.
Liverpool are scousers.
Newcastle are Geordies.

There's loads more but I'm sure there's a website that explains them all with audio examples.

Haa, your a fuckin Geordie!

edit

Yah, are those things like Geordie, Scouser and Brummie a bad thing to be called? They sound offensive.

This post has been edited by Destruction-Overdriv: Dec 30 2009, 12:35 AM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Passionate Homo ...
post Dec 30 2009, 01:04 AM
Post #7

Scam Artist
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Dec 29 2009, 11:20 PM) *
I find it amazing how scousers can understand each other. I dont have a clue what they are saying. I just nod. I suppose scousers cant understand cockneys though.

While we are on the subject of accents, I would like to say that posh people dont have their own accent. I know plenty of posh people. Ive been up to horse races, none of the people ive spoken to have a posh accent. Some do speak more formal, but they do not put on a voice.
Mate, try a semester at an ancient university..."Oh darling yah I do love your hair, is it backcombed or did you use a hairdryer? I'm meeting Gregor later and we're going out on the razz, but do you fancy popping in to Jack Wills first? Oh please let's, it's ever so cold."

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
drive carfuly,because every secend a shrak can teleport itself to your car, and try to drive your car (if you have one) with shark in it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Dec 30 2009, 01:11 AM
Post #8

LFC

Member No.: 39,835
PSN Name: trathen

accents do vary a lot in certain areas though. widnes, where i live, is just outside of liverpool. its about a 10-15 min drive from huyton (where i hail from, yes its a part of liverpool) yet the accent is totally different. the wooleybacks round here (google it if you dont know what they are) generally seem to be amazed by my accent, yet liverpool isnt far away. if i could count the number of times ive been asked to say chicken.

--------------------

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Dec 30 2009, 01:59 AM
Post #9

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE (Destruction-Overdriv @ Dec 30 2009, 12:35 AM) *

Birmingham has brummies.
Liverpool are scousers.
Newcastle are Geordies.

edit

Yah, are those things like Geordie, Scouser and Brummie a bad thing to be called? They sound offensive.

No, it's not offensive - when you're out of your own city people will hear your accent and ask "Are you a Geordie" "Are you a Scouser" etc. Everyone knows where the accents come from so if you reply that you're a Scouser then they know you're obviously from Liverpool.

@El-Nino - "Finger lickin' fuckin' chicken!!"

@CC - Scousers can understand everyone but if I was with you and El-Nino and wanted to tell him something I didn't want you to know I could just speed up what I was saying and you wouldn't have an igloo what I'd just said but he would.

Psy might stand a chance though because he's never off the Kop.

This post has been edited by marney1: Dec 30 2009, 02:05 AM
Achievements

+Quote Post
Psy
post Dec 31 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #10

You'll Never Walk Alone
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
XBL Gamertag: Psyware
PSN Name: Psycopsy
Xfire Identity: Psyware

QUOTE (marney1 @ Dec 30 2009, 01:59 AM) *
QUOTE (Destruction-Overdriv @ Dec 30 2009, 12:35 AM) *

Birmingham has brummies.
Liverpool are scousers.
Newcastle are Geordies.

edit

No, it's not offensive - when you're out of your own city people will hear your accent and ask "Are you a Geordie" "Are you a Scouser" etc. Everyone knows where the accents come from so if you reply that you're a Scouser then they know you're obviously from Liverpool.

@El-Nino - "Finger lickin' fuckin' chicken!!"

@CC - Scousers can understand everyone but if I was with you and El-Nino and wanted to tell him something I didn't want you to know I could just speed up what I was saying and you wouldn't have an igloo what I'd just said but he would.

Psy might stand a chance though because he's never off the Kop.

True dat. I'm practically an adopted scouser.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
The Awesome One
post Dec 31 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #11

Poshboy...

Member No.: 49,030
XBL Gamertag: the mighty moa

Im not originally from London- I moved there eariler this year. I always used to go up Stamford Bridge with my family.(Still do) I never really noticed the accent. There is a cockney accent however-its just a bit soft.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post Dec 31 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #12

Pessimistic nihilistic.

Stop callling it cockney, every time you do that an American envisions Dick Van Dyke. It's just the standard South East London accent.

This post has been edited by ViceMan: Dec 31 2009, 11:57 AM

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
OptimumPx
post Dec 31 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #13

Basket Case
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,168

QUOTE (ViceMan @ Dec 31 2009, 06:56 AM) *
Stop callling it cockney, every time you do that an American envisions Dick Van Dyke. It's just the standard South East London accent.

It's true!

I will admit I'm surprised by the number of different accents contained on just the island of Great Britain. I know that the US has a lot of different accents too, but not as many in that size space. You have to travel further to get large distinctions in accents.

--------------------
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post Dec 31 2009, 06:25 PM
Post #14

Pessimistic nihilistic.

QUOTE (OptimumPx @ Dec 31 2009, 06:03 PM) *
I will admit I'm surprised by the number of different accents contained on just the island of Great Britain. I know that the US has a lot of different accents too, but not as many in that size space. You have to travel further to get large distinctions in accents.

Well, if you have more space, naturally you're going to spread out and use it. We don't so you don't have to travel far to find different accents. Although I don't know how far i'd have to travel to find a different accent from my house, either to the newsagents down the road, or I could just hop onto the A13 into London. Most of Southern Essex is chav lingo, which is like cockney but gangstafied and bling'd with cygnet rings, classy.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
OptimumPx
post Dec 31 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #15

Basket Case
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,168

QUOTE (ViceMan @ Dec 31 2009, 01:25 PM) *
QUOTE (OptimumPx @ Dec 31 2009, 06:03 PM) *

Well, if you have more space, naturally you're going to spread out and use it. We don't so you don't have to travel far to find different accents. Although I don't know how far i'd have to travel to find a different accent from my house, either to the newsagents down the road, or I could just hop onto the A13 into London. Most of Southern Essex is chav lingo, which is like cockney but gangstafied and bling'd with cygnet rings, classy.

It's not even that really.

Not taking in the US as a whole let's compare North Carolina and England.

Now then: England's total area is 130,395 km2 and as you guys have said the people in London have completely different accents from the people who live in Liverpool. These two cities are (about) 210 miles apart according to Google Maps.

North Carolina's total area is 139,509 km2 and the two biggest cities are Charlotte and Raleigh (located about 151 miles apart). The citizens of these two cities have the same accent.

Even if you factor in Columbia, South Carolina (225 miles south of Raleigh) you have the same basic accent.

--------------------
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post Dec 31 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #16

Pessimistic nihilistic.

Well, you'll sometimes get Scousers in London (not very often 'cause they're banned from anywhere south of Birmingham.) And sometimes you'll get Mancs in Cornwall (again, not often for the same reason and others.) So it's quite diverse. And native accents have been corrupted somewhat by foreign influences, so you could have a Polish scouser, although i've never heard one.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Dec 31 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #17

The universe goes on forever and we are alone
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,164

America has three primary accents: The Upper North East (owing to Yiddish, German and Ye Olde English), the Deep South Redneck (owing to French, Spanish), and the Dumbshit South West Surfer Dood (owing to years of exposure to head bleach and Chinese food.). Once you get that down, you quickly start to see who sounds similar and why. Take South Carolina and Louisiana. Just about everyone in between speaks the same twangy accent, with only a little difference between.

--------------------

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Mar 13 2009, 01:45 AM) *
The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Die Zeiten haben sich geändert.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Dec 31 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #18

Godfather
Group Icon

On the edge of Liverpool (Huyton) where El-Nino comes from there is a small bridge which crosses over a motorway into a town called Prescot. Once you cross that bridge into Prescot everyone talks with a Lancashire ee by gum accent, there is no fading out of the scouse accent it just stops.
Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post Dec 31 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #19

Pessimistic nihilistic.

So what, if you cross the bridge your accent miraculously changes?

"Ehy, ehy, caahm down... ...ah'm goin't down pob."

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Dec 31 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #20

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE (ViceMan @ Dec 31 2009, 08:57 PM) *
So what, if you cross the bridge your accent miraculously changes?

"Ehy, ehy, caahm down... ...ah'm goin't down pob."

That would be strange.
Achievements

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 01:41 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4