> The Saboteur
PabloHoneyOle
post Dec 14 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 40,397

Who's got it? I just received it in the mail today and I'm excited about getting to play tonight.

Nazi's beware.
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Dec 14 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #2

Godfather
Group Icon

Member No.: 48,547

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Dec 14 2009, 06:07 PM) *
Who's got it? I just received it in the mail today and I'm excited about getting to play tonight.

Nazi's beware.

I just saw a few clips of this the other day; French resistance or something isn't it?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Dec 14 2009, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

I think you might be alone on this one.

I'm still waiting on a game where I play as a Nazi. I wanna flip the switches outside the gas chambers. It would kick the shit out of the Saw game.

But anyway, I haven't really heard much about this game at all. Let me know how it is.

This post has been edited by Massacre: Dec 14 2009, 06:13 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Dec 14 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #4

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (marney1 @ Dec 14 2009, 01:09 PM) *
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Dec 14 2009, 06:07 PM) *

Nazi's beware.

I just saw a few clips of this the other day; French resistance or something isn't it?

Basically, you're an Irish race car driver who is pulled into the resistance in a tale of revenge against the Nazis for killing his bum mate or something. You run around Paris fucking up the Nazis and blowing up their cribs and zeppelins. There's also pixelated nipples.

Here's the Kotaku review; if reviews mean anything to you. It will atleast give you a good idea of the game.

What seemed great on paper — a World War II game like nothing else, with sophisticated artistry to boot — had to be turned into a video game. But then some things, not necessarily too many things, went wrong.

The Saboteur is the final game developed by Pandemic Studios out of the EA-owned label's former offices, the last hurrah of the studio that brought gamers new takes on combat through Full Spectrum Warrior, Star Wars Battlefront, and Mercenaries. And their last standalone effort may have been their boldest, a World War II open-world game set in and around Paris, starring an Irish race car driver on a vendetta against the Nazi occupiers of France's beautiful city.

The game has received headlines for its inclusion of optional nudity and near-nudity, and it's likely turned the head of anyone who has seen screenshots or video featuring its terrific mixture of black-and-white graphics and color. But what makes it worth playing is its attempt to offer a mix of Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed and thankfully some of its own style, situated in a time and place of history no other major game has explored, letting its players be the hero in a battle they can't truly win, sneakily killing Nazis and brashly blowing up zeppelins along the way.

Loved
Winning Theme: Setting a game amid the resistance movement against Nazi-occupied France is fresh and original. This isn't a game of storming beaches but hiding in brothels, not (often) of driving a tank but of slipping into an enemy uniform and poisoning the rival army from within. You don't play many games in which you can walk around without the Nazis shooting at you until you raid their bases. Better, though, is sneaking behind them to blow up their parked cars, sucker-punching them while they're harassing people on the street, or walking calmly away after you've set a ticking stack of dynamite at the foot of their sniper tower. Basically, this is the ultimate game of griefing Nazis, which is a lot of fun and feels morally sound. That this is all draped in one of the most unusual color schemes in gaming history is a bonus. Nazi-dominated areas of Paris and the surrounding towns and countryside are rendered in black-and-white, save for the colors of flames and red Nazi arm bands and banners. The game colorizes sections after the completion of certain missions, generating a sense that some vitality has been returned to the locale thanks to your actions.

A New Tale: I'm a sucker for a novel plot. This one doesn't have you fighting Nazis because you were drafted. It has you fighting them because your character, Irish race car driver Sean Devlin lost a race against crooked Nazis, tried to prank them and wound up stumbling across a scheme that got someone close to him killed. He's in it for revenge in the middle of a war, the French resistance a convenient cause to assist rather than one he was dedicated to serve. It's a nice touch that you play in the pair of races that are both key to the story, adding the historical nuance of the Nazis' attempt to demonstrate Aryan superiority in sporting events.

Beyond Paris: The game hits its stride best, for better or worse, outside Paris, where the player is most empowered to feel like a saboteur. Climbing rooftops and battling some control and design issues in the big city can hurt the fun, but on the vast outskirts, a player can speed down dirt roads, quick-stop next to a Nazi gas station, plant a bomb and peel out. The biggest delight comes from the explosions you hear and don't see, the sounds of the chain of blasts you managed to trigger from beneath those Nazi noses. All your sneaking and planning is rewarded as they scramble or die while you drive off to your next place to cause more mayhem.

A Man Of Many Talents: An open-world game is often improved by an wide array of character abilities. Our hero, Sean Devlin, can do the stealthy chaos-causing things described above, or he can toss grenades and fire machine guns into a nest of Germans, turning the tactical subtlety that feels most distinct to Saboteur into moments of gun-facing, man vs. army action. In other words, it begins to feel like Mercenaries, a playground, as they said in the commercials, of destruction. Other options, some not commonly seen elsewhere, include arming a bomb in a car you've stolen and then bailing from the vehicle just before it speeds into a Nazi base. Or you can call in resistance fighters to help you out, sometimes with drawbacks (see below).

Dynamic Intent: Almost a "Hated" instead of a "Loved," but something I ultimately cannot knock Pandemic for is its pockmarking of its map with several hundred "freeplay targets." These dots represent Nazi guard towers, trucks, supply drops and other things worth detonating. The winning concept behind them is to empower the gamer of this open-world game to gradually influence the dynamics of his terrain. Destroying a sniper tower while wandering through Paris removes that tower from the map, making a story-advancing mission the player might take right near the sniper tower easier. The game falters in inundating the player with so many freeplay target options while making it very unclear what the incentive is for taking out most of them. Sure, knocking over a guard tower makes a mission easier and earns Devlin some cash for buying better weapons. But does the elimination of propaganda speakers make the pedestrians more willing to resist? It'd be nice if the game made that more clear.

For The People: The most original missions in The Saboteur branch from the game's main story. A lady asks Devlin to stop a Nazi book-burning. A priest requests the murder of the Nazi half of a wedding party. Most of the game's main missions feel like they could have been generated for other action games, but those that engage with the manifold struggles of one society to survive the pervasive menace of another are the most refreshing. They show the scope of The Saboteur's potential.

Hated

Very Bad Timing: In Paris, Sean Devlin needs to climb, But he is no Altair or Ezio, and this game suffers in its proximity to the release of Assasin's Creed II. Sean's climbing is slow and stymied in odd ways by seemingly surmountable out-croppings. Worse, he has a hard time lowering himself down a roof in controlled ways. That the designers named Devlin's race car the Altair or that they included summit points that spin the camera around when he reaches them does the game no favors in avoiding the comparisons. These are Assassin's Creed 1 mechanics in a world that is enjoying Assassin's Creed II. And that makes much of the emergent action in Paris — the escaping from Nazi patrols by taking to the rooftops — or climbing walls to reach ziplines to reach bomb-able targets, less fun that it would have been a year ago.

Very Bad Timing Part 2: Sean Devlin is less the Irish rogue and more the jerk. He's gruff to the point of unpleasantness, the lead in a cast of characters who seem to hate each other except when they are sleeping with each other. Uncharted 2 just showed us how very likable an overmatched, cocky hero can be and how a game with romantically-linked leads can be sexy without being sophomoric. In this game, a stressed Devlin is asked how he feels after a rough battle. He says: "I could eat a nun's arse through a convent gate."

Glitches: The game is glitchy in an absurdly amusing way at least once per hour you're playing it. I approached a Nazi to snap his neck. He animated properly, dropping to his death. But so did the Nazi standing next to him, in synchronicity. I went into a base camp to talk to a resistance leader and wondered why he had a mannequin on his office. That was no mannequin. That was another character, accidentally spawned atop his phonograph. I called in a car-load of resistance fighters while I was taking fire in an intersection. They drove over, some got out of their car, and then their driver ran over one of them. I had to escape a mission on the back of a truck and kept failing because a character not involved in my mission — but who happened to be standing on the road we passed — kept dying, for reasons I can't explain. I'd just get a notification that he was dead. Etc. Once an hour with things like these. Not gamebreakers, but certainly mood-killers.

Truncated: Why Devlin brushes off an aerial crash he survives — right after the scene that was about him not having a parachute — I can't explain. Nor can I explain why the game's main adventure ends before we've again fought the Nazi henchwoman who is set up in earlier missions or why it ends with an enchanting but incredibly easy last mission. This game's story feels like it was cut off, though The Saboteur does offer enough terrain and optional missions to keep players busy past that early end.

The Saboteur has enough originality and enough of a capacity for the player to have fun at almost all times that it's a hard game not to recommend. It's a game for the curious, for gamers seeking something different. But as with so many original games, it is a game that has rough edges.

This may be the most un-polished major-label game I've reviewed this year, which is too bad. Because when The Saboteur is being The Saboteur and not being Assassin's Creed or choking on a bug, it's got the spirit and spark of a game that should be played. That is, if you ever wanted to blow up a Zeppelin with a rocket launcher, kiss someone to hide from the people chasing you or knock over a Nazi gas station without them ever knowing you were there.

Source:http://kotaku.com/5422448/the-saboteur-review-rough-draft

Reviews aren't too friendly - all around. But most reviewers are absolute cunts anyway.

I'm always up for killing Nazis and pixelated nipples.

This post has been edited by Stoic Person Eater: Dec 14 2009, 06:18 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Dec 14 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #5

Godfather
Group Icon

I love games of this kind where you need to be sneaky and plan things but I'm in two minds about the black & white effect they use. Because it's set in WWII there's no real 'technology' so it helps make it more pesonal as you're the one actually getting things done by using a bit of guile.
I love the feeling of being amongst the old buildings and cobbled roads and gas lamps in the streets. I'll keep an eye on players reviews for now though.

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Dec 14 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #6

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

don't rely on reviews for this game... most claimed that the godfather II sucked but, i found it to be quite fun... i get the same vibe from the reviews for this game... it's been called a "jack of all trades - master of none" game... it has lots of ideas and concepts but, fails to deliver on all of them... the elements are fine but, nothing special... i'm sure it's going to be a good 'ol time IMO biggrin.gif... it looks like a lot of fun to control...

for me, i'm waiting until early next year to get this game... unlike borderlands, this IS a game i want to play... it just looks like a whole lot of fun... i'm waiting for it's first price drop, or when it gets down to at least $40... and considering the reviews and sales, i don't think it will take too long...

i just love sandbox games way too much... it's not as realistic as GTAIV and assassin's creed II but, it looks a lot better than pandemic's other sandbox game, mercenaries 2... mercs 2 sucked balls... basically, saboteur is a mash-up of numerous other games... jack of all trades but, master of none... and that's not a problem for me...

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Dec 14 2009, 07:51 PM

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Dec 14 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #7

Boss
Group Icon

You nailed it, bones. I didn't mind Mercs 2 so much, but I've only played it a few days, it's in my backlog as of right now.

From what I've seen, this looks right up my alley. I got my copy off of eBay for $45 shipped. It took a couple days later than I wanted, but I was gone this weekend and wouldn't have been able to play it anyway. I'll play tonight and might call in sick tomorrow morning.

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Dec 14 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #8

i unfortunately bought mercs 2 launch week... i played one full night of it, and after about 2 weeks, i noticed that i hadn't played it since that night so, i traded it in towards little big planet and finally got my money's-worth (actually got $40 for trade-in because of another promotion that involved trading that game in)... LBP was 50x better than mercs 2...

i mean, the idea was good but, the execution was horrible... the driving sucked, missions were extremely repetitive (drive here, kill a bunch of people, blow up the base), the destruction didn't amaze me at all, and the very spotty and glitchy AI was enough to make me throw my remote... i literally watched 4 guys come over a hill to get me, only to fall and roll all the way off the cliff into the water... and another time, there was an enemy hidden inside a rock that could shoot me but, i couldn't shoot him... tanks were blowing up my tank through walls, and enemies knew where i was, even if i was hidden at the other end of the base...

i expect that some of these problems will be present in the saboteur but, i don't think they are game-breakers like they were in mercs 2... it was just a bad game on all fronts for me... i'm sure the saboteur fixed some of these issues because, i'm pretty sure it's running on the same engine as mercs 2...

i don't expect the saboteur to be a AAA title but, my expectations are lower for saboteur than they were for mercs 2... so, i won't be disappointed with the saboteur... in fact, i might find it to be funner than i thought it would be...

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Dec 14 2009, 08:34 PM

--------------------

Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Bain
post Dec 15 2009, 02:23 AM
Post #9

Rat
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,884

Im interested to try it out. Ill see how I like it, not for a while though.

--------------------
BAIN POINTS:

Pickles: +7
D-O: +88
Mekstizzle: +10
QD: -10
Frog Choker: + 13
Analogkid: -25
Psy: -8
Ast: +10
Treefitty: -10
Viceman: -59*
Massacre: +5
Spoiler: -14
Voodoo: +17

*= Fail
Achievements

+Quote Post
DiO
post Dec 22 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #10

Forgot about member titles for awhile there...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

The animations looks stiff.

This post has been edited by Destruction-Overdriv: Dec 22 2009, 02:24 AM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Dec 22 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #11

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (Destruction-Overdriv @ Dec 21 2009, 09:24 PM) *

Your mother.

I've been playing this for a little while, haven't had the time to sit down and give it the marathon gaming session I gave Assassin's Creed 2 last month. Perhaps after Christmas.

Anyway, I'm at 9.4% in the game - I've completed the first mission, the "flashback" sequence and have started a few missions for the Resistance to fuck up the Nazi regime. There's a pretty decent revenge story (a la Assassin's Creed 2) and some semi interesting characters. The main character looks hauntingly like my Irish roommate in college, spot on. Basically, you're a drunk from Ireland, Sean Devlin, who used to be a professional racer until the Nazis ruined his race career and killed his best "buddy". Since the race and the chain of events that lead to his friend's murder; Sean has basically just been drinking and fucking while the Nazis take over Paris and the rest of Europe.

The city of Paris is huge and their are Nazi's everywhere. They've basically set up shop on every street corner, atop of every building and even all up in the titty club you live in. The city is full of detail, down to the cobblestone streets, the historic landmarks, and the surrounding country side. The area is huge; almost overwhelming. The cars that populate the city are historically accurate as well. There are beaters, race cars and all sorts of Nazi vehicles available for hijacking. Nazi Zeppelins float overhead, just waiting for me to find a rocket launcher.

The storyline follows the main character's path to revenge by basically killing off every Nazi in Paris and by doing so, inspiring the French to stop being such pussies (this is the most unbelievable aspect of this game). There are over 1000 different Nazi sniper towers, offices, vehicles, propaganda or Generals that need to be SABOTAGED in order to properly motivate them. Performing acts of SABOTAGE also generate contraband that you can spend on guns, maps, upgrades, etc. There is a nice leveling system in place that rewards you for doing x number of kills with a certain weapons or your fists. There is also the car collection aspect which also unlocks perks from your mechanic; who also has the ability to utilize NITROUS OXIDE to make a 1939 Bugatti Type 53 do over 100 mph. Very handy guy.

The gameplay is very fun. The controls are very reminiscent of Grand Theft Auto and the driving is more of the Saint's Row 2 persuasion. Sean has the ability to climb, I've already climbed the Eiffel Tower, twice, simply by scaling the metal struts. The climbing is much slower than Assassins Creed (and obviously Assassins Creed 2) however it does allow for a more "controlled" climb. You can basically select the ledge you wish to jump to by rotating your view and then press an action button which launches you in that direction. There's no need to grasp when you're falling either, Sean takes care of that on his own. Sean can run for forever, which is handy when Nazis are firing at you non-stop. He can also absorb over 100 bullets before really getting ready to die. It sounds ridiculous, but it's pretty necessary considering the firepower the Nazi's are bringing.

I've only noticed one glitch or bug. It was actually kind of funny. A messenger came running over to me - backwards. Very minor, but very unexpected.

Overall it's a pretty good game. I haven't given it the attention it deserves, honestly. It seems easy to get lost in, but real life time constraints are killing me.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Dec 22 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #12

pretty much what i expected to read from you, stoic... a nice short "impressions" review... you seemed to touch on a lot of things, things i wondered about... this just further cements my reasoning for purchasing this sometime after christmas... i already see online specials and deals offering this game for $40... so, the price drop is probably right around the corner...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Dec 22 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #13

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Dec 22 2009, 04:10 PM) *
QUOTE (Destruction-Overdriv @ Dec 21 2009, 09:24 PM) *

Your mother.

I've been playing this for a little while, haven't had the time to sit down and give it the marathon gaming session I gave Assassin's Creed 2 last month. Perhaps after Christmas.

Anyway, I'm at 9.4% in the game - I've completed the first mission, the "flashback" sequence and have started a few missions for the Resistance to fuck up the Nazi regime. There's a pretty decent revenge story (a la Assassin's Creed 2) and some semi interesting characters. The main character looks hauntingly like my Irish roommate in college, spot on. Basically, you're a drunk from Ireland, Sean Devlin, who used to be a professional racer until the Nazis ruined his race career and killed his best "buddy". Since the race and the chain of events that lead to his friend's murder; Sean has basically just been drinking and fucking while the Nazis take over Paris and the rest of Europe.

The city of Paris is huge and their are Nazi's everywhere. They've basically set up shop on every street corner, atop of every building and even all up in the titty club you live in. The city is full of detail, down to the cobblestone streets, the historic landmarks, and the surrounding country side. The area is huge; almost overwhelming. The cars that populate the city are historically accurate as well. There are beaters, race cars and all sorts of Nazi vehicles available for hijacking. Nazi Zeppelins float overhead, just waiting for me to find a rocket launcher.

The storyline follows the main character's path to revenge by basically killing off every Nazi in Paris and by doing so, inspiring the French to stop being such pussies (this is the most unbelievable aspect of this game). There are over 1000 different Nazi sniper towers, offices, vehicles, propaganda or Generals that need to be SABOTAGED in order to properly motivate them. Performing acts of SABOTAGE also generate contraband that you can spend on guns, maps, upgrades, etc. There is a nice leveling system in place that rewards you for doing x number of kills with a certain weapons or your fists. There is also the car collection aspect which also unlocks perks from your mechanic; who also has the ability to utilize NITROUS OXIDE to make a 1939 Bugatti Type 53 do over 100 mph. Very handy guy.

The gameplay is very fun. The controls are very reminiscent of Grand Theft Auto and the driving is more of the Saint's Row 2 persuasion. Sean has the ability to climb, I've already climbed the Eiffel Tower, twice, simply by scaling the metal struts. The climbing is much slower than Assassins Creed (and obviously Assassins Creed 2) however it does allow for a more "controlled" climb. You can basically select the ledge you wish to jump to by rotating your view and then press an action button which launches you in that direction. There's no need to grasp when you're falling either, Sean takes care of that on his own. Sean can run for forever, which is handy when Nazis are firing at you non-stop. He can also absorb over 100 bullets before really getting ready to die. It sounds ridiculous, but it's pretty necessary considering the firepower the Nazi's are bringing.

I've only noticed one glitch or bug. It was actually kind of funny. A messenger came running over to me - backwards. Very minor, but very unexpected.

Overall it's a pretty good game. I haven't given it the attention it deserves, honestly. It seems easy to get lost in, but real life time constraints are killing me.

I've been in two minds whether to buy this game but after reading that review I think it's likely to be my next game. If this is what you have to say about it with less than 10% completed then I'm definitely getting it.
Can you free roam in between missions without restrictions or do more areas of the city open up as you progress?
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Dec 22 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #14

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (marney1 @ Dec 22 2009, 11:35 AM) *
I've been in two minds whether to buy this game but after reading that review I think it's likely to be my next game. If this is what you have to say about it with less than 10% completed then I'm definitely getting it.
Can you free roam in between missions without restrictions or do more areas of the city open up as you progress?

After you complete the first mission and flashback - which are essentially tutorials, you wake up in Paris and the whole city is available. There are certain bridges that are blocked off by Nazi blockades, but there is nothing stopping you from swimming across the river or running a car through the blockade (and getting the Nazi's attention.

I really recommend the game, especially if you're a fan of the era. It's the L.A. Noire that never was. The black and white theme vs. the contrast of color is really something to behold.

I actually got a new HD TV the day after getting this game. Switching from a standard to an HD totally revolutionized the game. The graphics are great, even the digital nudity - the burlesque scenes are actually very well done - something straight out of Moulin Rouge. Classy, yet tittiful.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Dec 22 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #15

Godfather
Group Icon

I think I get the black & white/colour idea now; Black & white areas need to be given some hope against the occupation while coloured areas have gotten the urge and encouragement (and the will) to fight back against the nazis?
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Dec 22 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #16

just got an HDTV, eh? pop in fallout 3 and check it out... it's like night and day... i got my new TV in the middle of playing it and saw a dramatic difference... I COULD ACTUALLY READ STUFF IN THE PIPBOY!! biggrin.gif... they don't make games SDTV friendly anymore... you can barely read anything on the screen, it's too small and blurry...

yea, the art direction is what hooked me to this game when i first heard about the title... black & white with splashes of red to represent repression and violence... it's cool that you can go and do whatever you want too... dare i say more freedom than GTAIV??

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Dec 22 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #17

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (marney1 @ Dec 22 2009, 12:23 PM) *
I think I get the black & white/colour idea now; Black & white areas need to be given some hope against the occupation while coloured areas have gotten the urge and encouragement (and the will) to fight back against the nazis?

Basically. If you've ever played Okami, same premise. The B/W are devoid of hope; colored areas have active resistance from the people.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Dec 22 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #18

Godfather
Group Icon

Yep, this is my next game for sure.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Dec 22 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #19

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

QUOTE (marney1 @ Dec 22 2009, 12:29 PM) *

No! Fallout 3!

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Dec 22 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #20

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Dec 22 2009, 12:25 PM) *
yea, the art direction is what hooked me to this game when i first heard about the title... black & white with splashes of red to represent repression and violence... it's cool that you can go and do whatever you want too... dare i say more freedom than GTAIV??

More freedom, but the Nazis are much more attentive than the police of Liberty City. Climb a building in front of a Nazi and there will be 1000's of bullets raining on you.

QUOTE (Massacre @ Dec 22 2009, 12:48 PM) *
QUOTE (marney1 @ Dec 22 2009, 12:29 PM) *

No! Fallout 3!

Yeah - Fallout 3 > Everything.
Achievements

+Quote Post

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 08:31 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4