IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Assassin's Creed II, help/hints/chatter...
bOnEs
post Nov 17 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #21

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

QUOTE (GLC @ Nov 17 2009, 02:17 PM) *
I'm undecided on this. I'll definitely pick it up eventually, just don't know when. Probaly wait until Christmas..

holy shit!! someone else is interested in this game?!?! and here i thought everyone was playing modern warfare 2 for the 3rd time in the last 3 years... well, i hope more people get this game, otherwise, it's just going to be me and stoic posting in here... it'll get boring...

we'll have to keep it interesting by posting pics of kittens or something...
QUOTE (Stoic Qdeath Eater @ Nov 17 2009, 03:15 PM) *
Shit, now that I think of it, it was my father's sword. The only thing I can think of is one scene where it was kicked out of my hand.

I guess I never got it back.

I couldn't buy weapons at the store at this point in the story. Probably wouldn't have enough cash to do so anyway. I'm very excited about the monetary system and more realistic health system. It definitely adds an RPG quality to the game that I can personalize to an extent.

if it was kicked out during a cutscene then, i am assuming you were SUPPOSE to lose it...???

3 hours to go sad.gif...

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Nov 17 2009, 08:21 PM

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Nov 17 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #22

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 40,397

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Nov 17 2009, 03:16 PM) *
QUOTE (Stoic Qdeath Eater @ Nov 17 2009, 03:15 PM) *
Shit, now that I think of it, it was my father's sword. The only thing I can think of is one scene where it was kicked out of my hand.

I guess I never got it back.

I couldn't buy weapons at the store at this point in the story. Probably wouldn't have enough cash to do so anyway. I'm very excited about the monetary system and more realistic health system. It definitely adds an RPG quality to the game that I can personalize to an extent.

if it was kicked out during a cutscene then, i am assuming you were SUPPOSE to lose it...???

3 hours to go sad.gif...

I suppose. Everything happens for a reason in this game. They really outdid themselves. Both Kotaku and IGN's reviews really hit the nail on the head.
Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5405800/assassins-creed-...or-masterpieces
IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1045745p2.html

I'm ready to go home too. These last couple hours are REALLY dragging.

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Nov 17 2009, 03:16 PM) *
QUOTE (GLC @ Nov 17 2009, 02:17 PM) *
I'm undecided on this. I'll definitely pick it up eventually, just don't know when. Probaly wait until Christmas..

holy shit!! someone else is interested in this game?!?! and here i thought everyone was playing modern warfare 2 for the 3rd time in the last 3 years... well, i hope more people get this game, otherwise, it's just going to be me and stoic posting in here... it'll get boring...

we'll have to keep it interesting by posting pics of kittens or something...

My friends list is full of people only playing MW2. I'm going to clear the whole damn thing out.

Assassin's Cat:
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Nov 17 2009, 08:50 PM
Post #23

also, i can't go to the review links... i'm about fucking sick of this DNS blocker here at work... thank god the forums aren't blocked...

--------------------

Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Nov 17 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #24

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Nov 17 2009, 03:50 PM) *
also, i can't go to the review links... i'm about fucking sick of this DNS blocker here at work... thank god the forums aren't blocked...

Kotaku:
Assassin's Creed 2 is set in an era of history famous for the creation of beautiful art and master inventions, a fitting backdrop for a game that leaps beyond the achievements of both its predecessor and some other vaunted works.

Two years ago, the first Assassin's Creed sold millions while evoking grumbles that its free-running, pickpocketing, killing and escaping routine was too, well, routine, repeating a formula with little variation from the first slice of hero Altair's sword to the last. What some saw as a shallow game, I described as a short-session game masquerading as an epic, a game that discouraged lengthy play sessions but rewarded the occasional indulgence of its strong core gameplay loop. It was more of a Pac-Man than a Zelda.

Two years later, Assassin's Creed 2 appears as a marvel, occurring mostly in 15th century Italy, starring the amateur assassin Ezio Auditore — he, like Altair, an ancestor of true series hero Desmond Miles — and embarrassing its predecessor as if it had been little more than a tech demo. What was tested and tamed in the first game is tweaked and topped in a new one that spans a playable cities, countryside and decade of the Italian Renaissance. Killing is done in new and interesting ways. Extraordinary buildings are climbed. Tactics are evolved. Mysteries upon mysteries are introduced and sometimes solved. And, by the end, the series earns as its peers not Pac-Man but Metal Gear, The Da Vinci Code and Lost, as Ubisoft and Ezio alike take their stab at greatness.

Loved
The Adventure Evolved: It may be an odd point to start on, before mentioning how this game looks or even how it plays, but the best achievement of Assassin's Creed 2 may be how it flows. This is a game with a specific story to tell about Ezio, the son of Italian nobility. He is a man whose family and life is demolished before the player's eyes as events force him to become an assassin who scours Italy for conspiracy clues and rightful victims of his vengeance. It's an adventure that is told through a weave of exposition and gameplay that defies the usual frayed conventions of story taking turns with interactivity. In Assassin's Creed 2 you are most definitely playing the story, the mechanics of the first game and those introduced in the new, propelling an adventure that is full of changes and surprises. For example: The game's fifth chapter contains nine missions, which introduce Ezio and friend Leonardo Da Vinci to Venice in a walking tour, leading to a mission that involves rushing a wounded new character from corrupt guards, indoctrinating ones' self into the wounded persons' guild of thieves through a series of trials, learning new moves, and then returning to the scene of the wounding to assassinate a corrupt official. It's all story. It's almost all played.

History Made Virtually Real: For those of us who can't recall when the Covenant first invaded, why Ganon keeps getting angry or any of gaming's other major made-up narratives, Assassin's Creed 2 offers the hooks of real historical places and people. I've been to Florence but not climbed the magnificent Duomo until in Assassin's Creed. I've heard of Da Vinci and read about Lorenzo De'Medici but not met them until in Assassin's Creed. The ability to both encounter historical figures and, for those of us who stayed awake in history class, predict who might appear next, adds both intrigue to the series and the excitement of being able to trace and guess where this adventure will wind up. Let World War II no longer being the beginning and end of gaming's exploration of historical fiction.

The Killing And The Climbing: For those who don't care about story flow, yawn at history or think that's all nice but still demand that their game play well, AC2 thankfully satisfies. Ezio is a deadlier assassin than Altair, capable of killing two men at once with the retractable blades hidden in his wrist-guards, able to more nimbly and swiftly scale buildings and descend from them like a bird of prey. Combat on the ground, once the enemy is alerted, typically consists of Ezio surrounded by eight or so angry guards who politely take turns to attack while the player waits for counter-kill moments, or, better yet, opportunities to wrench a weapon away and turn it on its owner. Neither the climbing or killing is all that complex, but both are easily executed, fun and rendered beautifully.

The Structure: Assassin's Creed creative director Patrice Desilets has already admitted that the first game in his series was too conventional, that it introduced a gameplay formula that it never tweaked. He promised to play with it in AC2 and his team of over 200 developers has delivered. The main flow of the game consists of the aforementioned memory chapters, covering different years of Ezio's life and divided into mandatory missions that are activated from within the game's open environments and advance the story. They seldom follow formula, as one rooftop assault on archers feels nothing like the participation required in a carnival or the visiting of a prisoner that are the subjects of other objectives. Off the critical path, there is a bevy of diversions: Optional assassination missions, optional free-running races, hundreds of collectibles to gather, classic art to buy and more. Even those side-challenges that do repeat themselves do so with flair, such as the handful of "beat -up" missions that always wind up having the player punch a cheating husband. And best of all, are the tombs, mostly optional missions heavy on platforming and relevant to the series in a way I can't bring myself to ruin here.

Tactical Variety: One of the game's best attributes is its redundancy of options. Many games offer little more tactical choice than to kill with an axe, a fist or a fire spell. Assassin's Creed 2 builds upon its predecessor by presenting a more interesting choice of approaches: Will you pursue your goal by free-running across rooftops and risking the attention of archers? Why not barrel through the pedestrian-clogged streets instead? Or walk through them, blending in with the crowd (and pickpocketing the crowd at the same time)? How about breaking off from the flow of the crowd and hiring a group of prostitutes to lure some guards away? Or maybe poison those guards? Or swim past everyone? Etc.

Mysteries And More Mysteries: Assassin's Creed 2 appears to have been made by people who share The Da Vinci Code novelist Dan Brown's fascination with secret societies and centuries-spanning conspiracies that involve dozens of historical figures. They also are probably fans of Lost, given how effectively they pepper their game with mysteries that, when solved, typically reveal even more tantalizing mysteries. Through an unexpected puzzle-gameplay twist that I won't spoil here, a player of Assassin's Creed 2 can begin to discover some of the secrets of the series' lore, injecting a nice amount of mystery and sleuthing to a game that already was doing action and adventuring so well.

The Teases: The finale of the first Assassin's Creed has nothing on the entirety of Assassin's Creed 2 in terms of hinting at possible subject matter for sequels and spin-offs. You may finish this game, like me, eager for Ubisoft to consider pulling an Activision and exploiting every possible future release. Because, given what's discovered in various parts of the new game, it's hard not to want the developers to bring to video game systems the adventures they hint at involving everyone from Marco Polo or Cleopatra to, well, some people from way back in the day.

Desmond Miles: Like the first game, this sequel takes place in the interactive, buried memories of Desmond Miles, a man living just a couple of years ahead of us and whose ancestors were the assassins Altair and Ezio. The first game interrupted Altair's adventures several times to subject the player to locked-room barely-interactive Desmond sequences. First-game Desmond could do little but walk and talk. New-game Desmond is capable of more but is also playable less frequently. Perhaps he too could be an assassin, the game suggests. And perhaps Ubisoft could pull a Kojima Productions, as it seems set to turn its Raiden — its unpopular alternative to the action stars of its series — into a protagonist gamers want to be. Not quite there, but getting closer.

Hated
Touchy: There is little to complain about with Assassin's Creed 2 other than the touchiness of its controls. The game often requests that the player climb and leap from windowsill to ledge to brick outcropping to wooden post with grace and speed. That happens best when players treat the free-running flow of the game as if it is a racing game, but all the steering and speeding up sometimes, strangely, sends Ezio leaping in the opposite direction you pushed, ruining everything. It's hard to tell if the controls are too sensitive, too smart or if the player is in error, but the sophistication of so much of the rest of the game is sometimes undone when the great assassin clambers not to the roof but falls from a facade to plunk into the water below.

Assassin's Creed 2 looks great, plays great and avoids all of the pitfalls of its predecessor, which might be enough praise for some. But its finest achievement is to present one of gaming's most mature adventures, a game that can be played and tell a story at the same time, a game that assumes its players are educated and curious, and willing to be teased and willing to test its limits.

The level of craft and care evident in the creation of Assassin's Creed 2 — to say nothing of the level of obsession with conspiracy — is on par with those of the creators of the Metal Gear Solid series. This is big budget with polish. This is technology put in the service of artistry. Climbing and killing might wear thin by the end of the next game if the current formula of Assassin's Creed is maintained, but given the willingness of the series' creators to think and execute boldly that is evident in this sequel, complacency and obviousness are two things for which Assassin's Creed is little at risk.

IGN:
Assassin's Creed II is the follow-up to Ubisoft's 2007 hit that attracted a mass audience if not unanimous critical acclaim. The sequel is an expansive and bloody romp through Renaissance Italy that plays up every popular aspect of the first installment while righting many of its flaws. Assassin's Creed II has evolved from an ill-defined action game into a fully featured open world experience. Everything from the new monetary system to the ability to buy armor and weapons makes it a richer, and ultimately more satisfying game than its predecessor.

The plot of Assassin's Creed pulls together a bit of The Matrix, a lot of historical fiction, and throws in elements of the madcap conspiracy theories found in a Dan Brown novel. The series also has the benefit of being crafted by some of the most talented hands in game development. With only a handful of exceptions, the environments, animations, and art are beautifully portrayed. In addition to its good looks, the sequel's gameplay builds so much upon the foundations of the first game, that in retrospect, the first Assassin's Creed looks like little more than a technical demonstration.

Both fans and detractors of Assassin's Creed will be pleased to know that the sequel fully addresses and ties up many of the loose ends from the last game. It picks up exactly where we left off, with the kidnapped bartender Desmond locked in his cell at Abstergo. This corporation is the modern-day face of the Templars and they're after Desmond's valuable genetic memories. The magic of modern technology allows Desmond to relive the exploits of his Assassin ancestors. His genealogy puts him at the center of a war between the Templars and Assassins.

The game starts off with a bang, springing Desmond from jail and introducing him to the Assassins at their secret hideout. Here they have access to the same technology that allows Desmond to relive the past. In the last game, his brain was forcibly used to reveal powerful artifacts hidden in 12th century Jerusalem. This time Desmond temporally relocates to 15th century Italy by choice to learn the ways of the Assassins through the life of Ezio Audituerre de Firenze.

It's a convoluted setup, but it's also a great excuse to skip around in time, taking control of a character for only the most interesting moments of his life. Players are introduced to Ezio at the moment of his birth as part of a clever lesson on movement. It then jumps to his formative years as a womanizer, a street fighter, and the son of a wealthy banker. He isn't a wholly likable character, but the game steers us towards a revenge plot that provides the player plenty of motivation to stick with the story. The Renaissance setting also adds a much needed dose of color and humor to the series.

As we learn more about Ezio and become acquainted with his hometown of Florence, the game presents bite-sized bits of information on how to play Assassin's Creed II. This interweaving of plot and tutorial establishes an intriguing tale of revenge and slowly explains a varied and complicated control scheme.

In the early missions, we're introduced to the excellent free running system that allows players to climb over almost any surface. Movement speed in Assassin's Creed II has been significantly increased from the first game, enabling players to fluidly zip around the city. The animations are still excellent, and Ezio's body realistically adjusts to his environment as he climbs and vaults past obstacles. The only downside of free running is that there are moments when the camera doesn't present the best view of what's over the next rooftop. Overzealous free runners will take more damage from falling off buildings than they'll ever take from a sword.

For better or for worse "stealth" games are defined by the Metal Gear series. Hideo Kojima's vision of tactical espionage has extremely rigid rules about when a player is hidden and when they are plainly visible. Assassin's Creed II breaks this convention, adhering more to the rules of a Jason Bourne movie, where quick actions and a dense crowd are the tools of escape. I find this version of stealth refreshing, more realistic, and ultimately a success due to the numerous options players have when navigating the city streets.

There are still hiding places like bales of hay and roof gardens in Assassin's Creed II. They act as sort of "safe zones" that break a pursuers line of site. Ezio can even dive underwater for a limited time to hide from his enemies. But a more satisfying approach to dealing with foes is to divert them with hired help. Thieves, mercenaries and whores can be hired for a fee and directed at targets as living tools of distraction. Players can also toss money into a crowd to cause a small riot amongst the peasantry. This sandbox approach to stealth requires a bit of practice and it won't always result in success, but when it does come together, it's very rewarding.

If you choose to fight instead of hide, another plethora of options opens up. On the weapon selection wheel, there are swords, daggers, smoke bombs, throwing knives the dual assassin blades, and a surprise weapon I won't spoil. Each weapon has its benefits in terms of strength and speed along with its own slick set of animations. New
weapons can be permanently purchased through shops, or temporarily stolen from an adversary in the heat of battle. Weapon variation has done a lot to improve the variety of combat; late in Assassin's Creed II you'll be looking for a fight instead of turning tail.

Even without sword, the way you engage an enemy has depth. A notoriety meter and enemy awareness indicators being clearly marked on the screen give players fair warning over what sets off the guards. Once engaged, there are sidesteps, special combat moves (like throwing sand in someone's face), and grapples. Novice players will fall back on slamming a single attack button, which quickly becomes repetitive, but experts can turn combat into an art.

The addition of a monetary system also drastically changes Assassin's Creed II. Ezio receives money as he completes quests, finds treasures, or pickpockets victims. Health will not regenerate completely over time, so medicine and upgradeable armor must be purchased to keep Ezio alive. Besides applying funds to armor, weaponry, and remedies, you also have the ability to upgrade your home base -- a Villa in the country-side. The Villa is something of a glorified display case for all of the collectibles and secret items, but players can also dedicate money to upgrading its appearance and facilities. Rebuild the church and find a treasure; rebuild the blacksmith and get a discount. It's an addictive and optional diversion that completionists will drool over.

The Villa also gives the game a geographic center and a safe zone to tally your progress. Annoyingly, it's also the only place Ezio can swap weapons and armor, but the addition of travel kiosks mean that players can now be transported to surrounding cities instantly.

Through the mission structure, Assassin's Creed II guides and nudges players towards the meat of the game. At the start of each mission the player must "accept" the task, or put it off until later. The missions that advance the story are always marked on the map with an exclamation point, meaning that a game with plenty of diversions also keeps the main goal visible at all times. It's a good design and a nod to critics of the last game who bemoaned side missions that stood in the way of the good stuff.

It's difficult to nail down parts of Assassin's Creed II that aren't satisfying. Sections that border on frustrating are either fleeting or optional and some of this "extra" content is downright excellent. For example, Prince of Persia fans will revel in the hidden tombs that require dexterity, patience, and expert timing.

Even if you ignore the extras in Assassin's Creed II, the game is still a lengthy experience. The story alone lasts upwards of 18 hours and includes enough variety to be interesting throughout. Not every mission is equally as exciting. The assassinations are far more exhilarating than tailing a target or following an ally through a city. However, there are some one-off missions that are both exciting and wildly different from the core gameplay. With more variety and a tighter focus, Assassin's Creed II gets the pacing just right.

This post has been edited by Stoic Qdeath Eater: Nov 17 2009, 09:02 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Nov 17 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #25

dude, thank you!! just read both... "fucking brilliant" is the phrase i am gathering from these reviews... holy shit 2 hours to go!! biggrin.gif...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Nov 18 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #26

i got in a few hours of playing late last night... me likes it!! biggrin.gif...

i did my first assassination and once i fled the guards, i turned it off for the night... you DO lose that sword in the cut-scene with your family in the town square... but, i looked at the weapon once i got it before then and it was a generic sword so, it's worthless and not something to worry about losing...

i like the blend mechanic a lot... the fact that the guards in florence are on the lookout for me, makes getting around a little tougher... i haven't found out how to lower my notoriety yet, i'm guessing that's probably my next mission... but, blending into the crowd works great!! i found myself bouncing in between groups of traveling peasants, and hiding in groups stationary just to see how close i could get to the guards without them seeing me laugh.gif...

traveling across the rooftops in ACII seems to be much more responsive and fluid... he scales much faster if he has a straight path above him... and he seems to be able to jump further than altair ever could... sometimes though, you find yourself jumping right off a building from high up if your running fast and not paying attention to the landscape in front of you... i found myself doing that a few times but, thankfully it's not something that going to be a problem for me... i think a few more hours with the game and i'll have a better understanding of rooftop traveling for this game... he just runs so fast across obstacles that it happens if your not paying attention...

the fighting felt refreshing and more fluid too... i haven't had the chance to fight multiple enemies with different weapons (i'm sure that's in store for me tonight) but, the counters look fucking badass... there was this one sequence where i knocked a guy over with a headbutt, killed the one behind me with one swift thrust of the blade, only to immediately come back to the guy i headbutted and snap his leg as he was trying to get up... there were plenty of other "HOLY SHIT!!" moments when it came to fighting... the mechanics are 5x better than the first... i can't wait to get really deep into the story just to see how intense the battles get...

hookers, my new favorite toy laugh.gif... i used them to get into the area where my first assassination was... they provide a crowd blend, even with only two of them instead of the usual 4 you need with regular peasants... and they go where you go, not where the crowd goes... i think i'm going to enjoy sicking these seductresses on the lonely guards laugh.gif...

i think the mission structure is good and, it hasn't felt repetitive yet so, that's a good thing... the change in the mission structure reminds me so much of what happened between GTAIII and vice city... instead of the mundane courier missions, they evolved the story structure around your character... same difference between ACI and ACII... the missions revolve around the developing story surrounding ezio... and it's working great so far... the abstergo storyline is a bit confusing at the moment but, i think once they pull me out of the animus 2.0 for the first time, they'll explain a few more things to me...

and that's all i got for now... can't wait to get back into the swing of things tonight...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
GLC
post Nov 18 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #27

Anus.
Group Icon

Member No.: 38,852

Damn, reading that makes me doubt I'll be able to hold out until Christmas... =/
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Nov 18 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #28

lol, maybe you should ask for a different game and just go out and buy this one biggrin.gif... ask for uncharted 2 or batman...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
GLC
post Nov 18 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #29

Anus.
Group Icon

Member No.: 38,852

Yep, I'm almost definitely gonna pick this up Friday now. Fuck Christmas, I still have like 55 birthday money left so I'll use that.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Nov 18 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #30

Boss
Group Icon

Found this:

Very true.

I played a little last night; just one DNA sequence; I was hella tired after a bad day at work. Bones, did you complete the first sequence?

Anyway, the game just keeps getting better. After fleeing the city; I'm taken in by my uncle and taught the fighting skills I need as an assassin (plus I was waiting for THE COUNTER). I was also introduced to my Villa which is currently in shit shape. Also introduced to a new town and the ability to purchase weapons (two swords and a hammer currently available) and some small armor upgrades. Also, the return of my beloved throwing knives. Can't wait to get back to playing tonight. The game is just starting to really heat up.

I remember how awesome Altair was after he was fully upgraded in the first game; I can't wait to have a stud Ezio. He already moves much smoother and faster than Altair and I am really getting more into the character than Altair. The story keeps getting better and better; deeper and deeper. The game reeks of conspiracy theories and mysteries to be solved. The combat is amazing; I LOVED the rhythm of the first game and it's still intact in this game; only better (like everything else). There is NOTHING more satisfying than countering with your hidden blade. The new kill animations are amazing - and I've only used the blade and my sword.

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Nov 18 2009, 01:47 PM) *
you DO lose that sword in the cut-scene with your family in the town square... but, i looked at the weapon once i got it before then and it was a generic sword so, it's worthless and not something to worry about losing...

You're given another sword later. I think it WANTS you to not have a sword for a series of missions. Focus more on developing hand to hand/blade combat.

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Nov 18 2009, 01:47 PM) *
i like the blend mechanic a lot... the fact that the guards in florence are on the lookout for me, makes getting around a little tougher... i haven't found out how to lower my notoriety yet, i'm guessing that's probably my next mission... but, blending into the crowd works great!! i found myself bouncing in between groups of traveling peasants, and hiding in groups stationary just to see how close i could get to the guards without them seeing me laugh.gif...

The blending is one of the best parts. It's possible to walk right past guards on full alert; as long as you're in between two people. As far as your noteriety; don't worry, it's coming. Just a heads up: If you bribe anyone - be sure to pickpocket your money back. Just like killing a used hooker in GTA.

Glad you're enjoying the game, bones. A friend of mine purchased it and HATES it. He's more of a mindless gamer though. He's a big Call of Duty fan...

I really enjoy the depth of this game. You can really get into it. The historical ties give it a very refreshing element of enjoyment. Kicking it with Leonardo Di Vinci; visiting historical Italian cities. I've actually been to Venice before IRL, can't wait to check it out again in the game.

This game is definitely going in my "keeper" pile with GTAIV and Fallout 3.

Semi-spoiler: Be on the lookout for a Nintendo plumber.

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Nov 18 2009, 08:48 PM
Post #31

i like the historical facts they present to you when you pass historic buildings or people... i quick click of the select button brings up a description and history of what your looking at... pretty cool addition...

no, i don't think i am done with sequence 1 yet... i literally just finished the assassination of my first target... i turned the game off once i evaded the guards so, i don't know where i'm at really... i haven't fled the city or learned out to lower my notoriety yet so, i am guessing i am right at that point in the story...

i can't wait to start buying upgrades and weapons and stuff... so far, i've purchased 2 health packs and one prostitute distraction... i'd imagine i will get to where your at tonight, stoic... i got a feeling i am about 30 minutes away from having to leave the city... i can't imagine there's much more to do in the city (missions) after my first assassination...

----------------

people that play CoD don't like games with depth... they want mindless action, not a steep learning curve... and it's not that steep if you've played the first one... but, it can get pretty crazy if you've never experienced assassin's creed because, it is hard to get use to the mechanics of how the world around you works, and how you can interact with it...

i haven't seen one review give it a score under 90... i recall the first one getting 7's and 8's... and the reviews all praise how much this game has improved over its predecessor... it's almost like a completely new game while keeping the original core gameplay intact... i'm with you on it being a "keeper"... i might not even be ready to play uncharted 2 around christmas because, i might still be playing this game laugh.gif...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
Kamahl
post Nov 19 2009, 01:27 AM
Post #32

Snitch

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,969
PSN Name: Kamahl_rg

well, from what ive read this isnt as repetitive as the first one, which had a lot of potential but it got boring fast.

So ill pick it up in about 2 weeks cause i cant do it now.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Nov 19 2009, 06:16 AM
Post #33

QUOTE (Kamahl @ Nov 18 2009, 08:27 PM) *
well, from what ive read this isnt as repetitive as the first one, which had a lot of potential but it got boring fast.

So ill pick it up in about 2 weeks cause i cant do it now.

a few more hours into the story and i still haven't gotten any sense of repetitiveness... now, if i were to spend some more time on the side jobs, i might feel a bit of it but, the whole story structure isn't like the first game... it's an actual story developing in front of you, which is just like vice city did to GTAIII laugh.gif (ala ACII & ACI)...

------------------------

stoic, i couldn't figure out why there was a picture of "scarface: the world is yours" in that big mess of video game adaptations... lol, now i know why laugh.gif... it's ezio!! he started to remind me of someone when he was talking today... then it hit me, he sounds like tony montana!! laugh.gif...

this villa thing is pretty cool tho, i just invested in a bank and a tailor... and now my fortune is slowly growing, mang...

also found a glyph by accident via using eagle eye on top of some building... it was right next to me, some "all seeing eye" symbol... unlocked some truth strand, 1 of 20-something to go along with all the other collectibles out there to get laugh.gif... this game is jam-packed full of side quests and collectibles... and i am started to feel a "casual RPG" vibe to it as well biggrin.gif...

EDIT: also, this game keeps getting deeper and deeper with stuff to do, and ways to do it... unlocking new fighting techniques, weapons and armor... learning about new distraction tools and story-driven side quests... i feel like i'm being pulled into a huge universe here... everything keeps expanding with new villages popping up as i go... i've seen two villages and one city... i wonder how many are really out there, lol...

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Nov 19 2009, 06:27 AM

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Nov 19 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #34

Boss
Group Icon

I started playing last night with the intention of only playing for an hour or two. I was glued to the TV until 3AM this morning. When I started playing, the first thing I did was go through the Villa rebuilding tutorial (beginning of DNA sequence 4). I had quite a bit of loot, so I started investing in the Villa. All the money I received went into my Villa. I went to Florence again; but did not start the fourth memory. I bought the treasure maps from the art dealer; started going around collecting treasure; unlocking view points and completing the odd jobs (race, beat 'em up) I missed the first time.

All the meanwhile, my Villa banking was growing and growing. I also made a point of chasing down every messenger I came across (they have an arrow above their head). If you beat them down or kill them and loot them; they have about 500-1500f on them. A pretty nice little haul. Anyway, after atleast an hour or more of collecting treasure chests, codex pages and robbing messengers; I went back to the Villa and upgraded everything I could. I bought the treasure maps for the Villa; collected all the treasure in the Villa, again while my bankroll continued to build. I also managed to track down the eight statuettes scattered across the Villa; they unlock some pretty neat secrets after you've collected them; which assisted in my Villa upgrades as well.

After completely losing track of time; I went back to the Villa and was able to upgrade EVERYTHING. The entire town; the buildings and the shops all fully upgraded. I still have a bunch of collectibles to get; all which continue to increase the value of the Villa. The armor, weapons and artwork you buy all increase the value of the Villa. Even the feathers, codex pages and seals you find all increase the income of the Villa. I love it. There are also some secret passages in the Villa that come with upgrading certain features of it. Very neat to discover and explore. I'm also pulling upwards of 10,000f every twenty minutes. Bing.

After spending the majority of my night concentrating on my Villa; as real time neared what was technically "morning" - I left the Villa to go out and complete the next memory sequence. There's a nice assassination tutorial which shows you new, tactical ways to assassinate people - from the air; in hiding; etc. and a fantastic upgrade to your hidden blade(s) that make combat with the blades just as reasonable as a sword. The combat has gotten better; if that's possible.

Fighting with your fists and disarming and then dispatching someone with their own weapon is fantastic. As mentioned earlier, fighting with the hidden blades is also amazing; with some of the best kill animations so far in the game (Wolverine, anyone?). The best weapon I've come across so far HAS to be the hammer. Not the big ass mallet; the one that looks like a carpenter's hammer; I think it's the War Hammer or something. Anyway; the BEST fighting is done with the hammer; Ezio literally bludgeons the shit out of people. He smashes heads like Gallegher smashes watermelons. To fucking pulp. I've just unlocked some new swords that I haven't had the time to utilize yet.

One thing I LOVE - is the different strengths/weaknesses of each weapon. In the first game; after you completed the "training" portion of the game and your stats were basically maxed out - you were practically invincible. I could sit and just counter attacks all day. This time around; each weapon reacts differently to combat situations; different levels of the weapon's speed, damage and deflect all affect the combat style of Ezio. It is refreshing to know that even after I unlock the last sword (which will probably have maxed stats) I can still go back to the less effective weapons for a little bit of a challenge against the harder enemies.

Sorry for the tangent - I got into combat discussion because the majority of the fourth memory was combat based. Thwarting an assassination; protecting an important figure and escorting him to safety during the middle of an all out war between the Templars and the city of Florence. There was an eavesdropping mission in there; that was much more interesting and difficult to execute than in the first game where you just went and sat on a bench near two NPC's talking. The way it relates and develops the storyline is also amazing - I felt I had totally stepped away from the story after concentrating on my Villa for two or three hours; but the level of detail and depth sucked me right back into the Templar's evil shenanigans.

Damn, I really have been going on.

Almost done; last night I unlocked the Assassin's tombs - searching for the sarcophagus of past assassin's within the cities. I did the one in Florence last night. I almost quit several times due to mistimed jumps and sloppiness on my part. One of the biggest thrills of the AC games are the dizzying heights that are climbed to; and the tomb inside The Duomo put my platforming skills and videogame fear of heights to the test. It was like Prince of Persia - on crack.

Last thing. UPlay. I guess it's Ubisoft's new ingame software-reward-something-or-other. Anyway, if you sign up for it; you get some in game rewards that unlock with certain achievements or completed tasks. Most of them appear to be storyline driven. Some of the unlockables include an exclusive secret level, extra throwing knives and a theme for your console. Last night I unlocked Altair's outfit; which Ezio can wear in game. Not sure if you can apply color to it or not; but I'll find out this evening.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Nov 19 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #35

goddamn that was a lot to read laugh.gif... yea, i started running out of money after i purchased a bank, a tailor, some new armor upgrades and a color dye for my outfit... i noticed that each city has it's own color schemes as well... so, you can wear the colors of the city your playing in... so for now, i'm representing monteriggioni biggrin.gif...

and i just made it back to florence so, i guess i am on memory block 3 or 4? i'm glad i am back here though... i spend like 30 minutes pickpocketing money off of people... i made about 1500f in that span, which is what i needed after spending almost all of my money back at the villa... had to kill a corrupt official after a while due to my notoriety rising from the acts of theft...

but, didn't make it much further than that... i plan on doing side-quests tonight... i need to make some more money so i can invest more in my villa... man, this whole villa thing is fucking awesome biggrin.gif... but, i'm glad i am in florence again because, there's more money to be made here, especially pickpocketing... i'll look out for those couriers with an arrow above their head... do they run around?? i bet i could spot them with the eagle eye biggrin.gif... but yea, i'm gonna spend a good amount of time on the side stuff today... slowly progressing the story but, not by much... i wanna spend a lot of time here in florence right now...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Nov 19 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #36

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Nov 19 2009, 01:33 PM) *
goddamn that was a lot to read laugh.gif... yea, i started running out of money after i purchased a bank, a tailor, some new armor upgrades and a color dye for my outfit... i noticed that each city has it's own color schemes as well... so, you can wear the colors of the city your playing in... so for now, i'm representing monteriggioni biggrin.gif...

I think you can only BUY certain colors in certain cities. You can wear them wherever. I was rocking the green and gold for awhile; then switched to the crimson one; which is the mad pimpshit.

and i just made it back to florence so, i guess i am on memory block 3 or 4? i'm glad i am back here though... i spend like 30 minutes pickpocketing money off of people... i made about 1500f in that span, which is what i needed after spending almost all of my money back at the villa... had to kill a corrupt official after a while due to my notoriety rising from the acts of theft...

If you have the Villa, you've completed 3. If you've gotten the double blades; you've started 4. 4 takes place in Florence. I spent an easy five hours in Florence last night running around collecting treasures and doing the storyline missions/side quests. I'm intimidated at the thought of another city. Just getting my bearings in Florence. I'm suspecting the next memory block will whisk me off somewhere new.

i need to make some more money so i can invest more in my villa... man, this whole villa thing is fucking awesome biggrin.gif... but, i'm glad i am in florence again because, there's more money to be made here, especially pickpocketing... i'll look out for those couriers with an arrow above their head... do they run around?? i bet i could spot them with the eagle eye

Go to a busy area (lots of pedestrians) and just post up somewhere overlooking a courtyard and you're bound to see one come running by. They move much faster than any other pedestrian and have a white arrow pointing down at them. They also appear on your HUD map as a red icon that moves around. They can climb buildings and traverse rooftops at a running speed; so you have to sprint to keep up with and catch them. Like I said, you can either beat them with your fists and they give up the money or kill them and pry it from their cold dead hand. They are actually fairly common; I've dispatched one after another. You can't really look for them; they pretty much come to you. Not sure if Eagle Eye works. If you try to zone in on them; they'll be gone. I've chased many to the rooftops; only to have them evade me because I got caught on an unnecessary ledge or foothold.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Nov 19 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #37

i must be getting ready to venture into sequence 4... i just got to florence but, haven't done any main story missions yet...

i do have a solution to the running courier though, throwing knives biggrin.gif... i'll try it out or you can, it might alert the guards though...

about the color dyes - yea, that's what i meant... you can buy certain colors in certain shops... i noticed the ones in florence said stuff like "florence crimson" and stuff... i thought the ones in my villa said "tuscany"... i think i am wearing "tuscany brown" or something...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Nov 19 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #38

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Nov 19 2009, 03:22 PM) *
i must be getting ready to venture into sequence 4... i just got to florence but, haven't done any main story missions yet...

i do have a solution to the running courier though, throwing knives biggrin.gif... i'll try it out or you can, it might alert the guards though...

about the color dyes - yea, that's what i meant... you can buy certain colors in certain shops... i noticed the ones in florence said stuff like "florence crimson" and stuff... i thought the ones in my villa said "tuscany"... i think i am wearing "tuscany brown" or something...

Sounds like you're on the cusp. I didn't think about throwing knives. The one thing I am NOT wild about in this game is the weapon selection option. I'm not gonna bitch; the old weapon select was too easy; one button selects knives, one selects blade, the other selects sword. Now you have to open the Wheel O' Weapons and select knives; knife; throw money; touch penis; sword; etc. That's my only "gripe" so far. It's annoying when a guard attacks you and you splash him with coins.

As far as the messenger; again. If you're ready with knives; that will be a good plan. He's easy to lock onto for following; if you manage to get close enough. Killing him OR beating him up alerts the guards more than anything else. Even if you did it in the tightest of nooks with no witnesses in sight, you're notoriety goes up quite a bit. Lucky there are plenty of posters to rip down and scribes to silence.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Nov 19 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #39

yea, i don't like the weapon wheel either... i was thinking it was like fallout 3 where if i pressed the pad down/right i would select the item in that spot (throwing knives) but i never does... i have to open the wheel to select specialty items... at least the screen pauses when you open the wheel... there's been games that don't even pause the action... and i don't like the fact that my health packs are located on a hotkey either... i would much rather have the throwing knives in that spot so i don't accidentally use one... they should of allowed us to customize the wheel, to put whatever items you wish on the 4 hotkeys...

ripping posters down doesn't do much to lower the notoriety... you have to pull down quite a few... but, killing a corrupt official wipes the notoriety clean completely biggrin.gif... i've killed an official a few times now... i haven't tried bribing the scribes yet... or the heralds as they call them in this game... they do spew a bunch of hate towards the family though i noticed... sounds like i should persuade them to speak of something else...

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Nov 19 2009, 09:35 PM

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Nov 19 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #40

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Nov 19 2009, 04:19 PM) *
and i don't like the fact that my health packs are located on a hotkey either... i would much rather have the throwing knives in that spot so i don't accidentally use one...

ripping posters down doesn't do much to lower the notoriety... you have to pull down quite a few... but, killing a corrupt official wipes the notoriety clean completely biggrin.gif... i've killed an official a few times now... i haven't tried bribing the scribes yet... or the heralds as they call them in this game... they do spew a bunch of hate towards the family though i noticed... sounds like i should persuade them to speak of something else...

I've used a couple health packs while trying to select throwing knives. Dammit.

As far as notoriety; ripping down a poster takes away 25%; bribing a scribe takes away like 50% and killing the guy takes away 75% - I believe. There's usually enough posters around to tear down - I don't mind having SOME notoriety - that's how you get in some good fights.

Remember - if you bribe the scribes/heralds/whatevers - steal your money back from them.
Achievements

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 07:09 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4