DuPz0r
post Oct 2 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #1

Still Standing
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

So those of you that have started Uni this month, what sort of things did you do in induction week? I had a number of fun things each day. The two best things I'll explain.

I was put in some random group and told to go to lunch and get to know them, and bring back an apple. When we got back, there was about 20 groups of 5 people that were given 50 sheets of paper and sellotape. We were all told to build a tower with the paper and then balance the apple on the top of it for at least 5 seconds. My team came third place. We strategically built the tower from three cylinders in a triangle, supported by small cylinder struts all made from paper. It looked like a crane in terms of shape. We managed to built it up to 8.2 feet. The winners managed to get their tower over 14 foot, and still got the apple to balance! It was shaped like a giant spliff! That was awesome.

The next day we had to keep the same group as the day before, we were told that we had a treasure hunt... Okay, so the only clue the tutor gave us was to go on the local animators forum. So we all raced the the LRC and checked it. We were told to take pictures of the whole group in-front of certain places/landmarks and some cases with certain people around the campus. We all ran around the campus finding these places and people. The last three places were 5 miles away in the nearest town of St Albans. We had to find a cathedral, a comic book store and then an O'Neil's Pub last. It took FUCKING AGES! But we had a laugh, got to know each other really well. We didn't win unfortunately, but it was fun. The winners got a free pint from every teacher! So like 5 pints each ROFL. They managed to do it in like 30 minutes because one of them had a car on campus! We got there about 15th but we got to have a good chat with the second years, 3rd years, and people that were in the industry. I spoke to a guy working with Rare microsoft, and another guy that had just got a contract with Sony! So i was like networking like crazy, trying to get email addy's and facebook names!

Was a great week, and i'd advise anyone in the UK wanting to get into 3D Games Art/3D Animation/Visual Effects/2D Animation. To get their buts into the course at UH!!! The tutors are amazing people. My games art tutor was one of the lead designers for the legendary game Golden Eye, and he worked on Perfect Dark too.

Thanks for reading if you could even have been bothered.

--------------------
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Passionate Homo ...
post Oct 6 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #2

Scam Artist
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Psy @ Oct 6 2009, 11:22 AM) *
Your induction sounded a bit more exciting than mine. Having said that, I skipped most of mine because it was all boring lectures. Oh wait, no, I remember, last year we had to go around asking people questions and trying to find people who filled every box on your sheet. Stuff like "Has a guitar". "Has a sister". "Has a car" etc. How exciting!!!!!!
Yeah we had to do that for our first year SSC. It was anaesthesia omgz!!

Dupz0r: Edinburgh's pretty big on societies...Pizza Heroes is thought to be the biggest in Britain...

There's a sci-fi society, a society for American vet medics, two Romanian societies, hitchhiking, Palestinian solidarity, table football, pony-trekking...I could go on. There's even a chillout society...

I'm a member of the football society, the newspaper and the Royal Medical Society...how mainstream of me.

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
drive carfuly,because every secend a shrak can teleport itself to your car, and try to drive your car (if you have one) with shark in it.
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- DuPz0r   Uni Induction week   Oct 2 2009, 05:53 PM
- - marney1   Classic team building exercise by the sounds of it...   Oct 2 2009, 06:03 PM
- - punxtr   Sounds awesome Duppy. Enjoi.   Oct 2 2009, 07:50 PM
- - Stoic Person Eater   I skipped all the socials the University offered. ...   Oct 2 2009, 07:55 PM
- - Zacko   Sounds pretty cool Dup, can't wait to start Un...   Oct 3 2009, 12:23 AM
- - Darth_Sexy   Taking a year off was the best thing I ever did. I...   Oct 4 2009, 04:34 AM
|- - DuPz0r   QUOTE (Darth_Sexy @ Oct 4 2009, 05:34 AM)...   Oct 4 2009, 07:37 AM
- - Darth_Sexy   I'm unsure what the difference between college...   Oct 4 2009, 09:35 AM
- - Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester   I was involved in the running of freshers' wee...   Oct 4 2009, 11:34 AM
|- - DuPz0r   QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Oct...   Oct 4 2009, 07:22 PM
- - Darth_Sexy   Ahhh. In Australia we just go straight from high s...   Oct 5 2009, 11:04 AM
- - Psy   Your induction sounded a bit more exciting than mi...   Oct 6 2009, 10:22 AM
|- - Pieface   QUOTE (Psy @ Oct 6 2009, 11:22 AM) Your i...   Oct 6 2009, 10:36 AM
|- - marney1   QUOTE (Pieface @ Oct 6 2009, 11:36 AM) QU...   Oct 6 2009, 11:31 AM
|- - Pieface   QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 6 2009, 12:31 PM) QU...   Oct 6 2009, 12:59 PM
|- - marney1   QUOTE (Pieface @ Oct 6 2009, 01:59 PM) QU...   Oct 6 2009, 01:05 PM
|- - Pieface   QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 6 2009, 02:05 PM) QU...   Oct 6 2009, 02:43 PM
|- - marney1   QUOTE (Pieface @ Oct 6 2009, 03:43 PM) QU...   Oct 6 2009, 02:54 PM
- - Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester   QUOTE (Psy @ Oct 6 2009, 11:22 AM) Your i...   Oct 6 2009, 06:20 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 07:34 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4