Rating 5 V
Zacko
post Mar 10 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Vandal
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 54

Sounds interesting. Maybe the trailer will reveal more.

The Grand Theft Auto IV debut trailer is still 19 days away, but we've already got a good idea of where the game might take place. Tokyo has been rumored along with Paris, London, and other European locations, but if a new rumor is true, then New York is looking like the winner. NeoGAF user VALIS is claiming to know this inside information: "Friend of mine was just contacted today to be on the GTAIV soundtrack. He was in the 1980s NY hardcore band Breakdown. He had a laugh at the lowball offer, but of course he's not gonna pass it up.

Source - The Last Boss

--------------------
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darth Sexy
post Mar 10 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #2

The Thunder Down Under
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,214

Interesting...but you can't really know it from one song, could just be a classic radio station, or something...yeah classic Hardcore. Or the guy could just be lying. Anyway, if it has some truth, I don't think I want 80s New York...just sounds like VC's time line spliced into Liberty City.

--------------------

QUOTE(Lmoz96 @ Jul 27 2009, 08:31 PM) [snapback]1514882[/snapback]
Marney1... you know that I can literatly kill you
Achievements

+Quote Post
Tyla
post Mar 10 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #3

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,789

I posted a while back along with another guy that we both found in magazines GTAIV was rumoured to be set in 90's New York. I dont want to see New York again, whether it be's in the 80's or the 90's, we had Liberty City in 2 games(it was practically new york wasent it?) and i have seen other games try to pull off New York(True Crime, Driver Parallel Lines etc) and they wasent too good...

--------------------

PS3 ID : DaveTyla. Member of the IVTV Zero Degrees clan, we're cold motherfuckers.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Zacko
post Mar 10 2007, 01:06 PM
Post #4

Vandal
Group Icon

Member No.: 54

Yeah I mean that's the thing, Would they really risk setting it in the 80's again?

R* are so secretive >_<

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
coreyko_2003
post Mar 10 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #5

iHate

Member No.: 368

QUOTE(ZacKo @ Mar 10 2007, 07:06 AM) [snapback]1309024[/snapback]
Yeah I mean that's the thing, Would they really risk setting it in the 80's again?

R* are so secretive >_<

To be honest, I like the 80s but I dont like New York. I'll still buy the game though.

--------------------
You, Corey, live in the Matrix.
Its funny.........but its sad, cuz its true...
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Mar 10 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #6

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

Meh, I'd be slightly dissapointed if it was in the 1980's and in New York.... :-/

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Mar 10 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #7

Still Standing
Group Icon

Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

I hope its not 80's again. They dont wanna over-use such a good era, that'll be bad imo. And i think they should come up with new cities too (i have faith in them).

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
-spyder-
post Mar 10 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #8

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 32,804

Intresting could'ent really see another GTA game been back into New York, but with the new RAGE thing and graphics machine the game could be quite good, thats to say it was set in New York

--------------------

---
Achievements

+Quote Post
Sanshiro
post Mar 10 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #9

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 32,481

I highly doubt it. Liberty City = New York.
Achievements

+Quote Post
SlickCriminal92
post Mar 10 2007, 05:31 PM
Post #10

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 30,471

QUOTE(Sanshiro @ Mar 10 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]1309056[/snapback]

The areas are as so...

Portland = Bronx, chinatown, Greenpoint and other areas of the city

Staunton Island = Manhattan, Queens..etc

Shoreside Vale = New Jersey?

I forgot alot of areas in NYC. -_-

This post has been edited by slk187: Mar 10 2007, 05:31 PM

--------------------
Yeah ban me and still talk behind my back, lol typical pussies. DO get out of the basement, and stotic my address is 5236 Creekside Trail, Sarasota Florida. Come get me if you think you are so ''tough'' Ha.

You can ban me but I'll be back because I always get my way.

:)
Achievements

+Quote Post
psychÝ
post Mar 10 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #11

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 1,279

QUOTE(Sanshiro @ Mar 10 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]1309056[/snapback]

I have to agree, may mean the game is based in the 80's though which isn't improbable, or it may just mean they have a 80's radio station.

The only thing you can really conclude from this is that it will be set in the 80's or later.

--------------------

Dragonfly
Achievements

+Quote Post
mobe
post Mar 10 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #12

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 27,428

I don't think that adds much gravity to it being set in New York, its a pretty flimsy reason for it to be set there. I'm about 90% certain its going to be turn of the Millennium (2000-2001) GTA set in London. It would be a fresh start for them to move it away from a US setting and a London done in GTA style would be stunning. There are no more US cities that are truly iconic for R* to set it in, they have to move the game elsewhere. Tokyo I don't buy because there's not enough of the right sort of culture for them to satirise. Most GTA gamers are in the Western hemisphere, what jokes about Japan could they really play on that we would all get? It's got to be Europe and its got to be London this time.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Pyrocy
post Mar 10 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #13

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(mobe @ Mar 10 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]1309069[/snapback]
I don't think that adds much gravity to it being set in New York, its a pretty flimsy reason for it to be set there. I'm about 90% certain its going to be turn of the Millennium (2000-2001) GTA set in London. It would be a fresh start for them to move it away from a US setting and a London done in GTA style would be stunning. There are no more US cities that are truly iconic for R* to set it in, they have to move the game elsewhere. Tokyo I don't buy because there's not enough of the right sort of culture for them to satirise. Most GTA gamers are in the Western hemisphere, what jokes about Japan could they really play on that we would all get? It's got to be Europe and its got to be London this time.

You know, there is evidence (albeit theoretical findings found in "clues" within GTASA and the PSP games...) that it will be set in London in the early 70's (possibly around 1969). Plus, it would follow the 2D game line-up following into GTA: London 1969.

This is why I don't post speculative information though. It gets the idiots and mouthbreathers talking.

--------------------

Add Me on MySpace if you're so inclined...
QUOTE (Heartless on GTA4.TV)
Unlike the mainstream forums, we're gritty, crazy sociopaths. And still approved by Rockstar. Most GTA Sites cater to a younger, softer audience (Zidane?), as opposed to this forum, which caters to bi-polar grandmothers with too many cats (Pyro?).
Achievements

+Quote Post
killjoy.rujoy?
post Mar 10 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #14

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 6,395

you know,I agree London has been done to death.

I was thinking earlier that RockStar wanted a new start for the series,
so the U.S. was probably out.
No offence to anyone,I've seen enough London in games.But as the trailer approaches,
it looks like it will be UK based and it would be interesting to see a GTAized UK,RockStar's hometown.

Either way,I've yet to be disappointed by a GTA game! clap.gif

>>>edit... you could have a save point in the offices of RockStar North! drool.gif

This post has been edited by killjoy.rujoy?: Mar 10 2007, 06:24 PM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
DiO
post Mar 10 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #15

Forgot about member titles for awhile there...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

lolerumours.

Kojak kicks ass!

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
mobe
post Mar 10 2007, 07:58 PM
Post #16

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(PyroHazard @ Mar 10 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]1309074[/snapback]

You know, there is evidence (albeit theoretical findings found in "clues" within GTASA and the PSP games...) that it will be set in London in the early 70's (possibly around 1969). Plus, it would follow the 2D game line-up following into GTA: London 1969.

This is why I don't post speculative information though. It gets the idiots and mouthbreathers talking.

The problem with setting it in the late 60's or indeed 70's (I remember prior to San Andreas being announced a lot of people were convinced it would be set in the 70's) is that again there is not enough of the right sort of culture for them to satirise in the GTA way. One thing I think everyone's got to remember is that R* won't be taking any chances with GTAIV, there's just to much financially at risk with it. If they announced that it was set in the 60's or 70's a lot of people would immediately switch off, probably including me for that matter. It needs modern cars, weapons, aircraft, music etc to make people excited and keep them with the franchise.

As to them setting it here in sunny Edinburgh (actually its pissing with rain here) Great idea, actually in all seriousness if GTAIV is set against an EU backdrop and it does expand with more and more cities via downloadable content surely a GTA Edinburgh has got to be on the cards.

This post has been edited by mobe: Mar 10 2007, 08:01 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Mar 10 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #17

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

QUOTE(mobe @ Mar 10 2007, 07:58 PM) [snapback]1309105[/snapback]

The problem with setting it in the late 60's or indeed 70's (I remember prior to San Andreas being announced a lot of people were convinced it would be set in the 70's) is that again there is not enough of the right sort of culture for them to satirise in the GTA way. One thing I think everyone's got to remember is that R* won't be taking any chances with GTAIV, there's just to much financially at risk with it. If they announced that it was set in the 60's or 70's a lot of people would immediately switch off, probably including me for that matter. It needs modern cars, weapons, aircraft, music etc to make people excited and keep them with the franchise.

As to them setting it here in sunny Edinburgh (actually its pissing with rain here) Great idea, actually in all seriousness if GTAIV is set against an EU backdrop and it does expand with more and more cities via downloadable content surely a GTA Edinburgh has got to be on the cards.

Counter-culture, drug culture, the hippies? Hello?... the space race? the cold war?

Dude. What are you talking about. There is alot of stuff in that era to joke about.

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
ManBeast
post Mar 10 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #18

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 30

I wouldn't mind seeing New York as a location but I'm not too keen on the 80's timeframe again.

I guess we will find out in a few weeks anyway.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
mobe
post Mar 10 2007, 09:57 PM
Post #19

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Qdeathstar @ Mar 10 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]1309118[/snapback]

Counter-culture, drug culture, the hippies? Hello?... the space race? the cold war?

Dude. What are you talking about. There is alot of stuff in that era to joke about.

Totally true but what i really mean to say is that there may be enough culture but are enough GTA fans really going to appreciate in jokes about hippies, the space race, the cold war etc for the whole thing really to be worthwhile? I know some of us GTA fans are reasonably sophisticated and well read but a lot aren't and R* presumably wants and needs to sell them copies of the game. I still think a lot of people, especially younger people, wouldn't get excited by a 60's or 70's set GTA let alone go out and buy a copy. And the whole cross platform issue just shows you how desperately R* are to shift every last copy of the game they possibly can. A 60's GTA is just to big a risk i think.
Achievements

+Quote Post
g33n13
post Mar 11 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #20

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 35,258

QUOTE(mobe @ Mar 10 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]1309128[/snapback]
QUOTE(Qdeathstar @ Mar 10 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]1309118[/snapback]

Totally true but what i really mean to say is that there may be enough culture but are enough GTA fans really going to appreciate in jokes about hippies, the space race, the cold war etc for the whole thing really to be worthwhile? I know some of us GTA fans are reasonably sophisticated and well read but a lot aren't and R* presumably wants and needs to sell them copies of the game. I still think a lot of people, especially younger people, wouldn't get excited by a 60's or 70's set GTA let alone go out and buy a copy. And the whole cross platform issue just shows you how desperately R* are to shift every last copy of the game they possibly can. A 60's GTA is just to big a risk i think.

Totally agree, sure the era was crazy but no way they could pull of a soundtrack from the 60's and keep everyone happy, just not possible imo.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 05:42 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4