IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GTA IV Style painting Tutorial, For those who want to use it...
DuPz0r
post Sep 15 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Still Standing
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

OK, i don't normally write guides on art and give away my secrets. But this one can be done using a short cut, or some would call it cheating, but oh well. Here is a quick guide on how to make a GTAIV style painting on photoshop or paintshop pro. Both have the same or very similar tools so this should be really easy to follow. This task should take around 30-40 minutes. Difficulty - Medium.

1. First get a picture you would like to use. make sure it is sharp and clear, and a pretty decent resolution. Also note that the lighting of the picture plays a the main role in this process. So get a good angle with decent light. I have chosen this wax model of Al Pacino from scarface.

2. Now load up the picture in your program. For this i will use Paintshop Pro. And find the following tools. These will be the main tools you will be using. 1.[Dropper Tool] 2.[Paint Brush Tool] 3.[Smudge/Smear Tool].

3. Right, create a new layer above the first and then click on the dropper tool. Look at the image and see areas of skin which have very similar colours. Chose a colour and then select the paint brush tool to paint over the top of it.

4. Now you should have an area of skin which has been painted over. When the colour starts to change dramatically select the dropper tool again and select another area of skin to paint over.

5. By now you should have started to cover a lot of the face with colours that sort of match the colours of the persons face. To get into those smaller finer details, simply change the size of the brush to a much smaller tip.

6. Once you have completely covered the Face it should look something like this:

I'd advice you to save it at this point in-case you mess up.

7. Now select the Smudge or Smear tool (depending on what program you use). And then start to rub the colours together so they blend a little better and to give it a brush effect. And when you feel you've got it the way you want it stop smudging it.

8. Now on a new layer repeat the same thing from stage 3 to stage 7 for the hair so that the whole head is covered.

9. OK so you have to now duplicate both the skin layer and the hair layer. Now change the layer settings on both of them to Multiply. This will help give it a more rich tone and depth. Change the hair multiply layer to about 15% and the skin multiply layer to 45%.

10. Now save the .PSP/.PSD file one more time because we are going to merge all layers. Now using the freehand selection/lasso tool, you need to cut around the head to remove it from the background. CTRL-C to copy it. And make a new canvas and paste it to it. It should look like this:

If you've read this and not tried it, GO TRY IT NOW! It's pretty easy really, just takes a little bit of patience. I'm intrigued to see what people make from this tutorial!
Oh and the more time you spend on it the more detailed it will be. This was just an example and took me about 15 minutes, so i did rush it to be honest.

This post has been edited by DuPz0r: Sep 15 2009, 03:11 PM

--------------------
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Benzilla
post Sep 15 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #2

Pickpocket
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,554

Wow, people still use paint show pro? Retro.

--------------------
QUOTE (sve knjige svijeta @ Sep 23 2009, 06:20 PM) *
Whoever wants to be the guy who makes a game about a black man wielding a chain-gun, mowing down white-people, go right ahead.
Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post Sep 15 2009, 06:01 PM
Post #3

Pessimistic nihilistic.

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,896
PSN Name: ViceyThaShizzle

QUOTE (Benzilla @ Sep 15 2009, 05:39 PM) *

I use PSP8.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Sep 15 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #4

Still Standing
Group Icon

QUOTE (ViceMan @ Sep 15 2009, 07:01 PM) *
QUOTE (Benzilla @ Sep 15 2009, 05:39 PM) *

I use PSP8.

Yeah. It is owned by coral now. I still use PSP more than i use PS. I find it a little quicker to navigate.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Sep 15 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Get off my Planet

Member No.: 33,730
XBL Gamertag: CFO Charles
PSN Name: PS-FANBOY1

I assume you used that effect for your sig as well?

I need to try that, maybe I'll incorporate it into a new sig sometime. If I ever get a decent photoshop.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Sep 15 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #6

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

Fanboy, you should make a GTA cover mock-up with AC's.

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Sep 15 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #7

Still Standing
Group Icon

QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Sep 15 2009, 08:14 PM) *

I need to try that, maybe I'll incorporate it into a new sig sometime. If I ever get a decent photoshop.

Yeah but spent more time on my sig. I added a lot more details around the eyes and hair.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Tranque
post Sep 16 2009, 01:26 AM
Post #8

Trickster

Member No.: 42,061

QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 15 2009, 10:03 PM) *

Yeah but spent more time on my sig. I added a lot more details around the eyes and hair.

Utilizing your technique and my technique I've created a fairly interesting mix.

Here

This post has been edited by Tranque: Sep 16 2009, 01:27 AM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Sep 16 2009, 03:27 AM
Post #9

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Tranque @ Sep 16 2009, 01:26 AM) *
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 15 2009, 10:03 PM) *

Utilizing your technique and my technique I've created a fairly interesting mix.

Here

yours is a bit too real.

anyway, so i attempted to do Psy in GTA4 style ..

i'm working on something for the website, but i'm not using this because it is shit...
Attached File  Image7.png ( 55.56K ) Number of downloads: 10

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Tranque
post Sep 16 2009, 03:34 AM
Post #10

Trickster

Alright thanks I'll make sure to tone it down a bit in the future

I think alternately yours needs a bit more detail. I think I'm going to go save a few gta4 art images and post it up here for comparison.

UPDATE:

here for comparison

*What I do may be a problem to his technique or it could compliment it but I leave the real photo in the background and I fiddle with the opacity of the layer I'm painting or adding effects to. I do also edit the layer below if smudge is needed or somesuch.

This post has been edited by Tranque: Sep 16 2009, 03:41 AM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Tranque
post Sep 16 2009, 04:24 AM
Post #11

Trickster

Which is more GTAish. (Yes I know Old Women aren't GTAish, but I was thinking of hove beach style old russian women heh biggrin.gif

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
TreeFitty
post Sep 16 2009, 05:58 AM
Post #12

[ShitKickers] Posse
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35,531
PSN Name: therealtreefitty

^ I'm saying #2. still needs some work though.

--------------------
gta 5

People say I'm crazy for running into burning buildings. I say I'm crazy because I do it for free.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Sep 16 2009, 06:32 AM
Post #13

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

nice work there tranque...

thanks for this post, dup... i am seriously gonna try this with a photo of myself and see what happens... i got photoshop CS3 at work, i know it can do anything you can do biggrin.gif... but i'll admit, you can probably do more than i can do laugh.gif...

EDIT: i was thinking that watercolor, smudge, or palette filters would do the trick for GTA-esque portraits... didn't think about actually coloring it in... gosh, i'm an idiot!!

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Sep 16 2009, 06:42 AM

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Sep 16 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #14

Still Standing
Group Icon

Tranque, The idea is to make it look like a painting, so try not to blend in the photo too much, because it doesn't work so well. The third old lady looks best imo, so try working into that some more instead of going straight into another one. And don't use filters. Filters are an artists devil! With the exception of adjustments like sharpen, blur, brightness/contrast, colour, saturation, ect.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Sep 16 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

I like one or two the best...

but i think that reducing the color count to like 20-30 colors then smudging them would achieve the same effect as what dupzor is doing with 1/2 the effort.. i'm not at my pc now so i can' try it ... but it seems like it would work.

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Sep 16 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #16

Still Standing
Group Icon

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Sep 16 2009, 04:01 PM) *
I like one or two the best...

but i think that reducing the color count to like 20-30 colors then smudging them would achieve the same effect as what dupzor is doing with 1/2 the effort.. i'm not at my pc now so i can' try it ... but it seems like it would work.

Yeah that is the main thing i still haven't gotten used to yet. Using less colours in my paintings. The GTA artwork has a lot less colour range, but it is executed much better, so you don't notice the lack of colour range as much.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Sep 16 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

i did this by decreasing the colors to 16 then smoothing out the edges 20 minutes

Attached File  Imagea.png ( 343.72K ) Number of downloads: 7

I didn't resize it, but if you look at it from about 30% zoom it looks pretty good.

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

Achievements

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Sep 16 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #18

Get off my Planet

Member No.: 33,730
XBL Gamertag: CFO Charles
PSN Name: PS-FANBOY1

QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 15 2009, 03:34 PM) *

I should so do that. I need a photoshop program though, and one I don't need to pay $300 for.

If I get one I'll give DuP's strategy a try on some AC photos.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Sep 16 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #19

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

^ Try downloading The Gimp. It sucks, but it's free.

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Sep 16 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Sep 16 2009, 06:54 PM) *
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 15 2009, 03:34 PM) *

I should so do that. I need a photoshop program though, and one I don't need to pay $300 for.

If I get one I'll give DuP's strategy a try on some AC photos.

Paint shop pro is like $80...

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

Achievements

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 05:25 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4