Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> GTA-IV PC SAVED FILES
EddieRP7
post Jun 13 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #1

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,366

I have tried downloading a number of 100% complete save game files and so far have not found any that will load. I get a failure to load error message when I try to load one of the saved games.

My game was installed on June 12, 2009 and has the latest patches. All of the saved game files I have tried to load have been dated in 2008. Perhaps an update to the game has made them no longer valid.

Is simply replacing my SGTA400 file with a downloaded save game file (also SGTA400) all that I need to do, or is there something else I am failing to do?

Any help or tips appreciated - Thanks

This post has been edited by EddieRP7: Jun 13 2009, 01:12 PM
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
HEAT84
post Jun 14 2009, 01:28 AM
Post #2

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 13,927

Which OS are you running? Do you have administrative rights? Did you install the game yourself? It sounds like a permission problem.
Achievements

+Quote Post
EddieRP7
post Jun 14 2009, 05:13 AM
Post #3

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(HEAT84 @ Jun 13 2009, 08:28 PM) [snapback]1507795[/snapback]
Which OS are you running? Do you have administrative rights? Did you install the game yourself? It sounds like a permission problem.

OS is Vista SP2 / Yes I am the only user and I have admin rights / Yes I installed the game myself

I can change attributes of individual files in the folder but just cant change the read only attribute of the folder.
I am assuming the read only attribute of the folder is the reason I am getting access denied when I try and add a file to the folder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am very confused - this morning I tried to create a simple .txt file using note pad and save the .txt file into the GTA-IV program folder and received this message "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission."

Would you like to save in Documents Folder instead? YES / NO

I am the only user of this machine - I checked the users area and it says I am the system adminintrator - Why then am I having this problem? It makes no sense.

I am going to continue to investigate until I figure out what is going on. Any help will be appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After spending a lot of time trying to find out in windows help how to set permission for a folder and having no lucl, I tried turning off User Account Control (UAC) and that gave me permission to add the xlive.dll file that I downloaded into the C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV folder.

I hope that that is all there is to it and that other peoples saved games will now load in my game. I will download a 100% save game now and see if it will load now. Oh btw I turned UAC back on so my Norton Protection would stop having a shit fit about it being turned off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As it turns out my troubles are not over yet. With the xlive.dll file in the game folder when I launch GTA4 I get a message from Windows that says C:\Windows\System32\xlive.dll and C:\Windows\System32\xlive.dll.cat will be copied to C:\users\xxxxxx\appdata\local\Rockstar Games\GTA4\Ylive.dll and Ylive.dll.cat respectively

is this ok ... selecting No will cause game to exit

I am afraid to say yes cause I dont know if I should or not ---- ANY SUGGESTIONS?

This post has been edited by EddieRP7: Jun 14 2009, 03:59 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
HEAT84
post Jun 14 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #4

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 13,927

After spending a lot of time trying to find out in windows help how to set permission for a folder and having no lucl, I tried turning off User Account Control (UAC) and that gave me permission to add the xlive.dll file that I downloaded into the C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV folder.
I was just gonna suggest that.

From the readme:
Rick's XLive Wrapper for GTA IV 1.0.1.0

http://blog.gib.me/

Instructions:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!! !!!
!!! DO NOT EXTRACT THE XLIVE.DLL FILE TO YOUR SYSTEM32 DIRECTORY !!!
!!! !!!

1. Extract xlive.dll to GTA IV's directory.

!!! !!!
!!! !!!

Where it wants to copy the files to is where they're supposed to be. I guess the developer wanted to idiot proof (no offense) the xlive wrapper so he added that function.

Why do people want to put it in the system32 directory anyways? Just because its a DLL? I never would've thought to put it there. Did you skim the readme and see extract and system32 but not no? I bet some people make that mistake.
Achievements

+Quote Post
EddieRP7
post Jun 14 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #5

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(HEAT84 @ Jun 14 2009, 12:18 PM) [snapback]1507838[/snapback]
I was just gonna suggest that.

From the readme:
Rick's XLive Wrapper for GTA IV 1.0.1.0

http://blog.gib.me/

Instructions:

!!! !!!
!!! !!!

1. Extract xlive.dll to GTA IV's directory.

!!! !!!
!!! !!!

Where it wants to copy the files to is where they're supposed to be. I guess the developer wanted to idiot proof (no offense) the xlive wrapper so he added that function.

Why do people want to put it in the system32 directory anyways? Just because its a DLL? I never would've thought to put it there. Did you skim the readme and see extract and system32 but not no? I bet some people make that mistake.

=================================================================================

I read a bit on the blog and it said it is normal for windows to ask you if you want to let it copy the Ylive.dll and Ylive.dll.cat files to your appdata folder so I launched the program and answered yes to that prompt and it went for a bit and then the game crashed. I tried to launch it again and it crashed again so I renamed the xlive.dll file to xlive.txt so I could play the game as I normally do and it works fine. Perhaps that xlive.dll file I downloaded is not the latest version.

I am going to give up on this aggravation for a while now and just play the game without the xlive.dll in the folder. If only I could use the mouse cursor to steer a vehicle like I did in GTA-SA (San Andreas) then all wud be ok. I am hopeless with my left hand and can't steer the car worth a damn using the WSAD keys. For that reason I cant finish the second mission and keep getting killed by the Albanian Loan Sharks.
Achievements

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 08:38 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4