> Star Trek - The Movie
PabloHoneyOle
post May 8 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #1

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 40,397

I went to the 10PM showing last night. I didn't really know what to think prior to seeing it. The last movie I saw in theaters was The Watchmen and haven't been since because there hasn't been anything that could possibly compare to it prior to this movie being released (let the summer blockbusters begin). While Star Trek was no Watchmen, it was absolutely incredible and one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

I've never been a "trekkie" by any means. I've seen the movies and old shows growing up, but never got into The Next Generation or the other shows, but I always loved the Original series. Me and the old man watched it together, only fitting he was sitting next to me in the theater when the movie started.

If you haven't heard anything about the movie, it's essentially a reboot of the Original series, starting with the origins of Spock and Kirk and how they became the crew of the Enterprise. All of the characters from the original series are present and the actors picked to play them are pretty much spot on and nail the parts; especially Spock. At one point in the movie, it's like the young Spock is staring into the mirror of the Spock from the Original show. The script is an entire reboot, forget everything you know about Shatner's Kirk origins; the plot allows the writers and directors to change the course of Star Trek history; and they do it wonderfully.

The two standouts in the movie are Chris Pine as Kirk and Zachary Quinto as Spock. As mentioned above, Quinto is spot on as Spock; his expressions, 'logic' and stance, all perfect. Chris Pine (my favorite actor from Smokin' Aces) as Kirk was just amazing. Super intense, very humorous and made me believe that he was the young rogue version of the classic Shatner Kirk. I think this movie laid a very solid foundation for a couple more movies which I will happily see.

The directing was awesome. I haven't seen Cloverfield; but I will now, just because J.J. Abramms did such an awesome job with this movie. I'm still not going to watch Lost though. The movie had me from the opening scenes and I could not look away from the screen. There is plenty of action, humor, great special effects, and sound effects. There are plenty of references to the Original series that should make all the old trekkies happy and entertain the newer audience.

The theater was packed with tons of nerds from all walks of life. Some of them gave a standing ovation when the movie ended, then sat back down to see if there was anything shown after the credits.
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post May 8 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #2

Goon
Group Icon

Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

Is there anything after the credits? tongue.gif

Cloverfield is shot via handcam (very professional handcam). I loved it but not too many other people could get away from pointing out how dizzy and confused they were. I personally didn't feel dizzy or annoyed at all. Like I said, very professional handcam work for a supposedly amateur cameraman.

Why won't you watch LOST?

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post May 8 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Boss
Group Icon

Member No.: 40,397

QUOTE(The Last Human Being @ May 8 2009, 11:00 AM) [snapback]1500748[/snapback]
Is there anything after the credits?

QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ May 8 2009, 09:49 AM) [snapback]1500740[/snapback]
The theater was packed with tons of nerds from all walks of life. Some of them gave a standing ovation when the movie ended, then sat back down to see if there was anything shown after the credits.

I didn't stay to see the end of the credits. I'm not a fan of that shit.
Besides, it wasn't a Marvel Comics film, so probably not.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Full Metal Monke...
post May 8 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #4

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,213

Like Stoic im not a Trekkie, although i did enjoy the Enterprise series and the originals and also didn't mind Voyager.

From the trailer i saw whilst watching Wolverine Origins it looks a very enjoyable film and should hopefully be seeing it next week with the same crowd who went to see WO. And i agree with the casting for Spock, from the theatrical trailer he seems like the perfect casting.

Also if you look at a photo of William Shatner (at the time when he was filming Star Trek) the guy playing him in this actually looks abit like him too.

--------------------
Stunt Double for Nick Frost
Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post May 12 2009, 01:45 AM
Post #5

The universe goes on forever and we are alone
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,164

The trekkie inside me knows that the villains are from Remus, not Romulus. Further, most of the film was a joke, and most appalling, it was made my Lucas Films. Star Wars has won. I liked the green chick though - she was from the original show.

--------------------

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Mar 13 2009, 01:45 AM) *
The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Die Zeiten haben sich geändert.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post May 12 2009, 02:21 AM
Post #6

Goon
Group Icon

Oh shut up Heartless, what was terrible about it? I've heard enough of this shit already. So the story was shallow was it? The intent of relaunching a series is to find new interest in it to keep the blood flowing. So I'm waiting for the second one by Abrams because I didn't think it so terrible. I always hold my judgment on these sorts of things.

My only gripe is that Nero was not such a great villain. At least his character was not noticeably dragging down the movie. And, I expected more philosophy and less bullshit (pertaining to black holes).

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post May 12 2009, 02:34 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(The Last Human Being @ May 11 2009, 10:21 PM) [snapback]1501367[/snapback]
Oh shut up Heartless, what was terrible about it? I've heard enough of this shit already. So the story was shallow was it? The intent of relaunching a series is to find new interest in it to keep the blood flowing. So I'm waiting for the second one by Abrams because I didn't think it so terrible. I always hold my judgment on these sorts of things.

My only gripe is that Nero was not such a great villain. At least his character was not noticeably dragging down the movie. And, I expected more philosophy and less bullshit (pertaining to black holes).

What was so terrible? It was more Star Wars then Star Trek, with all the goofy monsters meandering through the back ground CGI sets and the virtual world plethora of cryptic alien worlds. It was so Star Wars in the sense that it relied heavily on Star Fleet Federation guidelines and protocols and promotions, and nothing on the theory and philosophy of deep space exploration. It even dodged all of the corny goodness that made the original series so spectacular; it just didn't feel like Star Trek. And I'll say it, I liked Spock, and I liked Scotty, but that wasn't Kirk or Uhura. And when it boils down to it, was it a good movie or not? There were minor pains, like Zulu mentioning he was a fencer, and then doing kung-fu, and then blatant fuck ups, like Kirk grasping on the edge of cliff not once, twice or three times but four! As if he trained all his life to hang like a bitch over the side of impending doom. Besides, how am I supposed to know wether or not I liked the film? I was concussed from the barrage of lights and sound, surrounded by the intensity of the latest cinematography, the onslaught of bland nothingness! How dare you say it had plot or substance or acting when most of it was obscured by the ritz and the glam? Yes, I do want to stare at nothing for hours, be blinded and stupid and drooling over the pretty lights. Here is my twenty sir, lobotomize me now.

Quick Edit - Don't forget the inexplicable Beastie Boys track that creeped in there. As a bonus, Bones was a tard.

This post has been edited by Prince Charming: May 12 2009, 05:00 AM

--------------------

The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post May 17 2009, 02:01 AM
Post #8

Goon
Group Icon

QUOTE(Prince Charming @ May 11 2009, 10:34 PM) [snapback]1501369[/snapback]
QUOTE(The Last Human Being @ May 11 2009, 10:21 PM) [snapback]1501367[/snapback]

What was so terrible? It was more Star Wars then Star Trek, with all the goofy monsters meandering through the back ground CGI sets and the virtual world plethora of cryptic alien worlds. It was so Star Wars in the sense that it relied heavily on Star Fleet Federation guidelines and protocols and promotions, and nothing on the theory and philosophy of deep space exploration. It even dodged all of the corny goodness that made the original series so spectacular; it just didn't feel like Star Trek. And I'll say it, I liked Spock, and I liked Scotty, but that wasn't Kirk or Uhura. And when it boils down to it, was it a good movie or not? There were minor pains, like Zulu mentioning he was a fencer, and then doing kung-fu, and then blatant fuck ups, like Kirk grasping on the edge of cliff not once, twice or three times but four! As if he trained all his life to hang like a bitch over the side of impending doom. Besides, how am I supposed to know wether or not I liked the film? I was concussed from the barrage of lights and sound, surrounded by the intensity of the latest cinematography, the onslaught of bland nothingness! How dare you say it had plot or substance or acting when most of it was obscured by the ritz and the glam? Yes, I do want to stare at nothing for hours, be blinded and stupid and drooling over the pretty lights. Here is my twenty sir, lobotomize me now.

Quick Edit - Don't forget the inexplicable Beastie Boys track that creeped in there. As a bonus, Bones was a tard.

Did you like Nemesis?

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post May 17 2009, 03:02 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

It was almost the same movie, just with better actors. I can't say that I did. The films just seemed to get progressively worse and worse. Maybe people in general are just getting dumber. I'm going to go watch River Monsters now, bye.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Benzilla
post May 17 2009, 09:14 PM
Post #10

Pickpocket
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,554

I've never even seen the tv show in my life. Worth watching even though I haven't?

--------------------
QUOTE (sve knjige svijeta @ Sep 23 2009, 06:20 PM) *
Whoever wants to be the guy who makes a game about a black man wielding a chain-gun, mowing down white-people, go right ahead.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post May 17 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #11

Goon
Group Icon

QUOTE(Prince Charming @ May 16 2009, 11:02 PM) [snapback]1502454[/snapback]
It was almost the same movie, just with better actors. I can't say that I did. The films just seemed to get progressively worse and worse. Maybe people in general are just getting dumber. I'm going to go watch River Monsters now, bye.

Are you serious? It was hardly even in the same ocean... all those things you missed in this JJ remake--the introspective and philosophical motifs and themes--were there in Nemesis.

Maybe you write-off everything as possibly bad in an effort to act like you know what the fuck you are actually talking about. Maybe you cannot be pleased anymore.

Fuck it... I'm going to watch giallo now.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post May 19 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #12

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

great movie!! saw this last night... it still had the feel of the older shows but, with newer technology and the CGI that the series always needed... i mean it was loaded with EPIC scenes that you know the TV show would of had back in the day if they had access to the technology we have today... it was a great interpretation of the original series IMO... just updated with younger actors, subtle changes in the costumes, and better visuals...

but, the characters all worked for me... the new kirk, not acting like the old kirk, but keeping the same ballsy attitude that shatner brought... the new spock bringing a similar yet different approach to the role of spock... and the rest of the cast was almost spot on, especially scotty and mccoy... the others were close but, their new adaptations worked well too... and all the wit and charm from the series was all there too... good script IMO...

i went in expecting to be amused but, not blown away... it far exceeded my expectations... and i'm not a trekkie, i just enjoyed watching some of the older episodes when they were on... this left me satisfied and looking forward to more adventures of the USS enterprise... i was quite skeptical at first but, i'm kinda glad they brought star trek back from dead biggrin.gif... i thought they were gonna butcher it but, that's not the case at all...

This post has been edited by bOnEs: May 19 2009, 07:32 PM

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:33 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4