Rating 5 V
Marney1
post Apr 23 2009, 01:55 AM
Post #1

Godfather
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 48,547

We celebrate St.Patricks Day on 17th March and fly the Irish tricolor but we don't celebrate St.Georges Day near as much.
Try flying your Union flag or England flag in the street and your local council tell you to take it down so as not to offend any immigrants or muslims.
I say fuck 'em.

This post has been edited by marney1: Apr 23 2009, 06:31 PM
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TwoFacedTanner
post Apr 23 2009, 02:52 AM
Post #2

Clepto

Group: Members
Member No.: 908
XBL Gamertag: IanCredible988

The Union flag? This thing?

I never think of Great Britain without thinking of that flag...what do they have to do with immigrants and muslims?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Apr 23 2009, 03:02 AM
Post #3

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

Patriotism is offensive to foreigners. Like marney said, fuck 'em.

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Apr 23 2009, 03:11 AM
Post #4

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Apr 23 2009, 03:52 AM) [snapback]1497998[/snapback]
The Union flag? This thing?

I never think of Great Britain without thinking of that flag...what do they have to do with immigrants and muslims?

Thats my point, if a Pakistani waves his flag in my face in my own street (not that its likely where I live) and I tell him to put it away - I would be dragged off to the nearest police station and charged with race hate or some shit.

I've heard you can fly any nations flag in the US as long as you fly the stars and stripes alongside it, is this true?
I know here you can fly whatever you like as long as its not an England or British flag.

This post has been edited by marney1: Apr 23 2009, 03:16 AM
Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Apr 23 2009, 05:50 AM
Post #5

The universe goes on forever and we are alone
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,164

Under it. The American Flag is always dominate, and it's legal to tear down a flag that is threatening American sovereignty, and the person responsible for placing a flag above the American one can find himself in jail, fined or both.

Back in the day, there was a meeting of nations in England, and the Queen placed the American on the end. Well, as she passed and reviewed all the nations flag-bearers, they would dip their flags to the ground in fealty. Well, when she came to the American Ensign, he refused. When she asked why, he was quoted as saying, "My nation bows to no earthly Queen." A legend is born.

--------------------

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Mar 13 2009, 01:45 AM) *
The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Die Zeiten haben sich geändert.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Apr 23 2009, 06:00 AM
Post #6

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE(Marneyless @ Apr 23 2009, 06:50 AM) [snapback]1498062[/snapback]
Under it. The American Flag is always dominate, and it's legal to tear down a flag that is threatening American sovereignty, and the person responsible for placing a flag above the American one can find himself in jail, fined or both.

Back in the day, there was a meeting of nations in England, and the Queen placed the American on the end. Well, as she passed and reviewed all the nations flag-bearers, they would dip their flags to the ground in fealty. Well, when she came to the American Ensign, he refused. When she asked why, he was quoted as saying, "My nation bows to no earthly Queen." A legend is born.

Thanks for the short story, twas interesting. smile.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Apr 23 2009, 06:06 AM
Post #7

The universe goes on forever and we are alone
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,164

Wikipedia cleans up the details:

The United States Flag Code outlines certain guidelines for the use, display, and disposal of the flag. For example, the flag should never be dipped to any person or thing, unless it is the ensign responding to a salute from a ship of a foreign nation. (This tradition may come from the 1908 Summer Olympics in London, where countries were asked to dip their flag to King Edward VII: the American flag bearer did not. Team captain Martin Sheridan is famously quoted as saying "this flag dips to no earthly king"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States

--------------------

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Mar 13 2009, 01:45 AM) *
The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Die Zeiten haben sich geändert.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Full Metal Monke...
post Apr 23 2009, 08:06 AM
Post #8

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 39,213

Im off to a party in a pub which my dads friend owns later tonight and i brought a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt especially for the occasion which has the Union Jack badge on the front with England written on the back.

This is the shirt only the one which i have the collar is just pure white instead of with Red and Blue.

This post has been edited by Full Metal Monkey: Apr 23 2009, 08:17 AM

--------------------
Stunt Double for Nick Frost
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Apr 23 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #9

Godfather
Group Icon

Well, while I was out doing a job today I heard the local radio reporting that British flags were being taken down by council officials due to 'health and safety' concerns.
Worst of all it was reported that a local soldier returning from Iraq was told to take down his welcome home banner which bore a British flag. This was just in Liverpool in the space of 10 minutes so I don't know about the rest of the country but if I find any news articles on it I'll surely post them.
What is wrong with celebrating just one day of your national pride?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Apr 23 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #10

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

QUOTE(marney1 @ Apr 23 2009, 06:42 PM) [snapback]1498134[/snapback]
Well, while I was out doing a job today I heard the local radio reporting that British flags were being taken down by council officials due to 'health and safety' concerns.
Worst of all it was reported that a local soldier returning from Iraq was told to take down his welcome home banner which bore a British flag. This was just in Liverpool in the space of 10 minutes so I don't know about the rest of the country but if I find any news articles on it I'll surely post them.

Because with the current Government in office, and the state the country is in, we have nothing to pride ourselves on.

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Apr 23 2009, 06:06 PM
Post #11

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pieface @ Apr 23 2009, 06:58 PM) [snapback]1498140[/snapback]
QUOTE(marney1 @ Apr 23 2009, 06:42 PM) [snapback]1498134[/snapback]

Because with the current Government in office, and the state the country is in, we have nothing to pride ourselves on.

Correcto mundo Pieface, what do we have to gain? Or rather what else do we have to lose?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Un-Amurikan Bast...
post Apr 26 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #12

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 17,310

St. George's Day? Anybody kill any Catholics?

--------------------

QUOTE(Styx)
Dancin' on a landmine baby one leg left, I can still crawl and I'm not dead yet. You better get a bigger gun, I'm not dead yet.

QUOTE(K. M. Munshi)
Have a scripture to recite, but make your own path.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Passionate Homo ...
post Apr 27 2009, 01:44 AM
Post #13

Scam Artist
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

St George has nothing to do with England, and everything to do with the crusades. I think that might have something to do with this.

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
drive carfuly,because every secend a shrak can teleport itself to your car, and try to drive your car (if you have one) with shark in it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Mekstizzle
post Apr 27 2009, 04:34 PM
Post #14

Nobody Special
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,717

Yeah, unlike St.Patricks I'd say most of the populace view St.George's day as mainly a religious thing than a national thing. And Christianity as a whole is in a complete freefall for various reasons and so most people just don't really care.

Anyway most of these holidays weren't Christian in the beginning, they just hijacked shit from the indigenous European religions so that it made it easier to convert Europe to Christianity. I mean do you really think all that Santa Claus and Easter Bunny and Christmas Tree etc.. comes from the land of Palestine/Israel and those Middle Eastern Jewrab areas? Hell no nigga

But let's not get into one of those rants......at the end of the day, what's happened has happened and it is what it is, the main culprit as to why St.Georges day is such a non-event in the modern persons calendar is there's nothing to associate it with. The Hallmark and big commercial companies missed out on cashing in on this day, they managed to convert St.Paddy's day into a giant drink fest but they let St.Georges day on its own, thus nobody cares, it's the sad truth
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Apr 27 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #15

Godfather
Group Icon

Gordon Brown did speak of introducing a 'British Day' which seems to have been put on hold for some reason.
Why not just make 'British Day' 23rd April? That would be sensible IMO.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Apr 27 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #16

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

QUOTE(marney1 @ Apr 27 2009, 05:47 PM) [snapback]1498958[/snapback]
Gordon Brown did speak of introducing a 'British Day' which seems to have been put on hold for some reason.

Would be more sensible if it was the 25th April every month IMO >_>

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Apr 27 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #17

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pieface @ Apr 27 2009, 05:59 PM) [snapback]1498961[/snapback]
QUOTE(marney1 @ Apr 27 2009, 05:47 PM) [snapback]1498958[/snapback]

Would be more sensible if it was the 25th April every month IMO >_>

Don't be soft thats a crap day, has been for about 18 years now.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Mekstizzle
post Apr 27 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #18

Nobody Special
Group Icon

The fact that this country has no real proper historical dates to really celebrate on says everything though, otherwise you wouldn't need to create an artificial "British day" just for the sake of it, alot of countries have their independence days, even the USA, or days to celebrate a revolution or civil war, but the fact is, this country has had it so good for such a long time that there is nothing to mark on the calender. It's just one of those things that makes this country Unique from most of the world, tbh, it doesn't need a special day, there would be one if there was a specific day to mark but there isn't, surely that in itself is something to celebrate lulz
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Apr 27 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #19

Godfather
Group Icon

I suppose you're right but all we are asking really is the freedom to fly our own flag when and where we please.
At this moment in time we don't seem to have that right.

This post has been edited by marney1: Apr 27 2009, 07:54 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
Mekstizzle
post Apr 27 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #20

Nobody Special
Group Icon

Personally I think all those stories are bullshit and people exaggerate things, there's quite a few people here who have big English or Union Jack flags flying around which have been there for as long as I can remember, and nobody complains

This post has been edited by The Marnstizzle: Apr 27 2009, 10:05 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 12:18 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4