IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Godfather II, act like a mobster, think like a don...
bOnEs
post Mar 31 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #1

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

just putting this out there...

who's interested in buying this game next week? i've been following this game for a few months now because, it's grand theft auto meets the mob... and i am just a sucker for those sandbox-city games biggrin.gif... but, this game has all the elements from the first game (that i never played) but, adding in a new feature called "the don's view" which plays out like a RTS game... sounds impressive to be down on the streets with your fellow men blowing shit up, while also controlling the entire family from the don's view... you can hire your own men, promote em, upgrade em, customize em, or whack em laugh.gif... you can take over various rackets and fronts... the "black hand" gameplay sounds like a ton of fun to play, where you try to find a store owners (or mob bosses) weak point, whether it be shooting up the place, punching them a few times, throwing them around the room, etc, basically bullying them into giving you their business/racket/information/whatever...

not sure how the gameplay/action will pan out, i'm guessing something along the lines of saints row 2, which was fun to play... but, it's the don's view aspect that's got me really interested... as much as i love GTA-esque games, i love a good strategy game... having to carefully plan your moves and actions within a mob family, to take down other mob families, just sounds too fun to pass up for me...

don't tell me the game barely fallows the movie storyline... it's been said that it only takes certain elements, and the atmosphere from the movies... while delivering a "what-if" storyline where you get to take control of a family for the bosses from the movies... it follows some of the plot but hell, i didn't want a complete adaptation anyways... that wouldn't make for a fun game... this game basically lets you act like a don, as if you were a part of the godfather family... and turns you lose in the godfather environment, letting you tell your own mob story...

plus, it's got online modes that you can use to earn money and upgrades for your made men, to help make them that much more lethal and effective in your own game... this game just sounds like a lot of fun for me... i don't buy many games but, when i do, i usually can spot the ones that are gonna be fun for me to play... this one looks like one of those games biggrin.gif...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TwoFacedTanner
post Mar 31 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #2

Clepto

Group: Members
Member No.: 908
XBL Gamertag: IanCredible988

The first game, the controls and animations were awkward, and I dunno, Im kinda interested, but from what I've seen the game is a lot like the first one still.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Mar 31 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #3

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 40,397

I'm not running out and buying this.

I might get it way down the road. After it comes out, I'll buy the first one for like $20 at Gamestop, play that and decide if I want to progress in the series.

I'll wait and see what people think. I'm not dropping $60 on a gamble like that.

Might be good; but only time will tell.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Mar 31 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #4

it's understandable that others might be weary of this game... i for one am looking forward to it because the whole concept sounds like too much fun... i'm not expecting a top-notch, game of the year type output here... i'm expecting a fun little shoot em up, with elements of strategy sprinkled in... something that could be played a couple times with totally different approaches to taking over the three different cities, cuba, miami and new york...

and it's not all "run-n-gun" like GTA and saints row... i think you can actually sit back and let your thugs do most of the work, while you pitch in here and there when your needed... or you can take the whole "hands on" approach and get your hands dirty just like the rest of your crew...

i'm just totally looking forward to strategically taking over a city... i guess it's not for everyone...

--------------------

Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Mar 31 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #5

Boss
Group Icon

I like the idea of the strategy element. I don't want another GTA wannabe.

I hope it's good. I'd like to play it, I loved the movie.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Mar 31 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #6

but, there's tons of GTA wannabe's out there... GTAIII unleashed a whole new generation of games... games built with the same concept of a sandbox city... i'm actually glad there's more to choose form than just GTA because, you can only beat the game so many times before it's retired for good... and game companies realized that there's a market for those kinds of games so, they're just following what the people want... and that's more GTA-esque games... and i for one am fucking happy!! i love those kinds of games biggrin.gif...

granted though, there are some really shitty knockoffs like true crime and that new vin diesel game (*shutters*) but, as long as there are the scarface's and saints row's out there, the genre stays alive and well...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
Indy
post Mar 31 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #7

Vandal

Member No.: 23,844

I'll wait abit for reviews an hopefully a demo before buyin this. It definetly interests me though.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Kamahl
post Apr 1 2009, 04:13 AM
Post #8

Snitch

Member No.: 8,969
PSN Name: Kamahl_rg

i just hope theres a demo... cant say ill buy it

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
TwoFacedTanner
post Apr 1 2009, 04:22 AM
Post #9

Clepto

Member No.: 908
XBL Gamertag: IanCredible988

I just had a session of Scarface: The World is Yours.
You kinda have an empire to run. You have henchmen follow you around and stuff.
Kinda been making want to play this.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Apr 1 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #10

yea, scarface might be one of the best GTA-esque games... i've been playing some saints row 2... i think the arcade feel you get from saints row 2 and scarface will be similar in GFII... but, scarface does have a bit of the strategy you might find in GFII... what, with managing your businesses, and setting up protection and whatnot...

i think i might have to play scarface again now laugh.gif... thankfully i own a copy...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Apr 8 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #11

ok, got a whole night under my belt with this title... it's fun!

the action/gunfights resemble saints row 2 but, there's an actual lock-on button to make the action funner and faster... it works well and adds to the shooting aspect... and you can control your men and tell them to either follow you or goto the location your crosshairs are currently at... that system works really well because you can kinda send your own guys ahead of you to scout or take out enemies in another room while you work on the ones in a different room... and your men are pretty useful for once, with each one featuring a "special" skill... and promoting your men adds additional special skills... i haven't gotten far enough to promote anyone above soldier but, i do have three followers now... and they dish out death as well as i can... well, not as good but, pretty good... and you'll love the fact that your men are quite useful, and their special skills can help out tremendously sometimes... the ability to cut the power at a racket to prevent them from calling backup is ingenious!! can't enter the front door? then use your demolitions expert to blow open the back door... my followers skills are medic, demolitions, and safecracking... the safecracker ability so far proves to be probably the most resourceful skill since, every single location has some sort of safe somewhere in the building, adding more money to your pockets...

i really like the followers you hire... they really add to the overall experience... and gives you a sense of realism since, who rolls into a warehouse alone and takes out 20 guys? niko bellic, that's who... the whole family tree aspect is totally awesome and your able to customize your own men once you hire them... you can't change their hairstyle (and there's some really goofy ones too) but, you can change the clothes and accessories... as well as purchasing upgrades like better weapons and better health... it's like an RPG inside of an action title when it comes to leveling your characters...

driving is quite arcadish... again resembling saints row 2 but, not as refined... but, driving doesn't seem to be as important to the game as it was in GTAIV... so, i can't really complain about it because, it's not a big part of the game... sure, you'll have to drive to some locations but, the map size for each city is relatively small and really, most of the locations you can visit aren't that far apart from each other... nothing a nice jog wouldn't take care of if you hate the car physics (they're not bad though)...

the "don's view" is a pretty resourceful and a fun feature... bringing strategy to a sandbox world... it's not as involved as you might think but, it's essential to be successful... it's from here that you pretty much make all your decisions... check your objectives, get a summary on every building like guard counts, and who owns the racket/front... and with your own businesses, assigning guards and/or one of your made men to protect the business from enemy families... lots of menus and information can be found in the don's view... it's like the pause button on steroids laugh.gif...

the graphics are kinda weak... it looks like it was one of the first PS3 titles released with jagged edges and plain textures... or a glorified PS2 game... which ever way you want to look at it, it's not top of the line graphics... but, its not so bad that it takes away from the experience... it's just noticeable if you looking for it... i didn't even notice it after a couple hours into it... the character models are ok, and voice work is pretty decent... lighting is decent and the animations are decent... overall, it's not too shabby... once i get to miami i'll be able to make a good judgement on the environment but from what i see so far, new york seems like new york... and the setting i think is it's strongest point... it really does feel like your walking around in the 50's...

i am not far at all... 10% completed and i am still in new york, the first city you try to take over... there's not much here though, it's kinda of like a tutorial city... teaching you what it takes to maintain a successful family, how to control crime rings and rackets, and how to manage your family... but, it's fun and enjoyable... it's not for everyone but, if you like the GTA style of games, there's a new option to choose from... it's just not better than some of the titles in that genre...

i give it a 7/10... it's fun and it will give me something new to play for a little while... but, i've read that it can be beat in 10-12 hours, which is pretty short for a sandbox city game... but, it's fun enough to be played a second time... and besides, it's gonna take me 20+ hours to beat because i play games a little slower than most... i like to enjoy the experience, not rush through it as fast as i can...

i'm sure there's more aspects to talk about with this game but, i think i typed enough already laugh.gif...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Apr 9 2009, 07:27 PM
Post #12

Still Standing
Group Icon

Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

I am weary about getting this game. it just doesn't seem to evolved much in terms of content, animation and graphics. I'm sure the story will be fine though. I love the GF films.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Apr 9 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #13

the story is kinda weak... but, the overall mood is dead on... you feel a part of the world of the godfather... the games story spins off from the meeting of the families in cuba, where your michael's right hand man appointed to set up shop in new york to re-establish the corleone's interests...

made it florida last night and that map is like 3 times the size of new york!! so, when i said that driving isn't that important because of the size of the maps, i was wrong... driving becomes an even bigger issue in florida... and the big issue with driving is it's hard to make sharp turns (even with the handbrake), and it's impossible to travel without running into something that completely brings the car to a halt... sports cars are the worst... you'd think it would help you travel across the city much faster but, the fact that you''ll run into everything on the way there completely voids that action... i find that driving the big 4 door sedans are your best chance to make it across the city without destroying your car... the sports cars have barely any health... and the big sedans can take a hit or two without coming to a complete stop...

the strategy part is starting to get hard a frustrating... it's not hard in the sense that i can't kill anyone... it's gotten hard in the fact that i am having a hard time maintaining control of rackets and crime rings... i see i am under attack so, i send on of my made men as reenforcement... it's one made guy (whose health and combat strength is stronger than a normal enemy) to help out my 10 guards already posted there... and they can't even handle taking on one made guy and 5 guards from a rival family... i just took a diamond smuggling racket in hopes of breaking up their monopoly on that crime ring, which grants body armor for their guards when you own all three, and i am still struggling to fight these guys off... not me personally, i can handle any combat situation, but my family members who i send off to fight without controlling them... they struggle when i am not involved...

i keep reading reviews that state how easy this game is but, i am finding it to be far from that... maybe it's because i am moving through the game at a snails pace because, i am guessing that if you fly through the missions you have less problems with enemies trying to take your rackets... when you move at the speed i do, as soon as a conflict has been resolved at one location, a new one pops up almost immediately somewhere else... i'm guessing that if you play fast, you have less instances of enemies trying to take a racket... and that's just pointless and not fun at all...

the game is still fun to play but, i don't wanna fly through it just to make it easier on myself... and i shouldn't even have that problem because, the game shouldn't be a race to the finish... oh well, i've gotten a better idea of how to handle these kinds of situations today on the internet so, i'll put these strategies to the test tonight and see if it redeems itself...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Apr 13 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #14

well, i see no one here seems to of played this game since i seem to be the only one posting here... its a shame really because, i've had a lot of fun playing this game this past week... still haven't beat it but, i am in the final city, and i am getting close to completing it... don't let the reviews sway your opinion... i didn't and i found a fun little gem to add to my gaming collection... at least rent and see what you think... plus, it's got easy trophies/achievements for those interested...

i've had so much fun managing my men, strategically blowing up rival businesses, taking them by force by either sending said amount of men or doing it myself, and strategically sending a certain amount of my own men to defend a racket... it can get a little repetitive because it's basically the same set of strategy for all businesses... but, at least the interiors vary enough to keep it interesting... and the enemies attack with a varied amount of men so, the strategy of how many of your own you send can change... plus, if you already sent some of them to defend a different racket, you might find yourself in trouble when they try to take a different one... you might have to pay one of them a visit personally laugh.gif...

and i bitched about the driving in an earlier post but, after doing a lot of driving since then, it's not too bad... weak crashes can still bring you to a sudden halt but, the controls don't bother me as much anymore... plus, you don't do much with driving anyways, just to get from point A to point B... and used for the occasional run from the police, which doesn't happen very often throughout the story... you can initiate it yourself but, there's only a couple of missions where the police get involved... plus, you can bribe them anyways too...

i am changing my score from 7/10 to 8/10 because, it got funner as the week rolled on... it's been enough fun that now that i know how to play, i think i might have a lot more fun on my second play... plus, i wanna make a totally different mob face and style for my next character biggrin.gif... and employ some different tactics early on...

rent it and see for yourself... don't let some of the crappy reviews make up your mind for yourself... the crappy ones seem like they knew they weren't gonna like it, and played it with that mindset, instead of with an open mind... it's a worthy induction to the free-roaming city games IMO because, it's different than most...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Apr 13 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #15

Boss
Group Icon

Bones, loan me $60, I'll pick this up and post plenty about it.

In other related news, EA is trying to get back all of the gold brass knuckles it sent out as a promotional item. Apparently, it's illegal to even provide brass knuckles to someone more so than it is to possess them.

http://kotaku.com/5207521/update-ea-ships-...ne=true&s=x
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Apr 13 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #16

Godfather
Group Icon

Member No.: 48,547

^ Fuck me I thought he was joking.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Apr 13 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 13 2009, 11:19 AM) [snapback]1495486[/snapback]

In other related news, EA is trying to get back all of the gold brass knuckles it sent out as a promotional item. Apparently, it's illegal to even provide brass knuckles to someone more so than it is to possess them.

rent it you cheap fuck!!!

i wish i would of gotten a promotional item sad.gif... i didn't even reserve it to get the free in-game character...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
Full Metal Monke...
post Apr 13 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #18

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 39,213

QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 13 2009, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1495486[/snapback]

Looks like every major games developer is jumping on the Ectasy-In-A-Box band wagon.

Doubt ill buy Godfather 2 as from what ive read its utter shite. I enjoyed the first one but the stuff they've added just doesn't appeal to me, also it sounds nothing like the film.

This post has been edited by Full Metal Monkey: Apr 13 2009, 05:14 PM

--------------------
Stunt Double for Nick Frost
Achievements

+Quote Post
Zen
post Apr 16 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #19

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 35,460

I was thinking earlier on about an RTS-style gangster game - my friend referred me to this. Might have to give it a try.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Apr 16 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Zen @ Apr 16 2009, 04:05 PM) [snapback]1496332[/snapback]
I was thinking earlier on about an RTS-style gangster game - my friend referred me to this. Might have to give it a try.

rent it and see what you think... the strategy isn't as in-depth as you would think but, it's still a challenge early in the game when your men aren't well equipped, or promoted... but, rent it and try it out... you might find, like myself, that there's actually a fun little game buried underneath all the so-so reviews...

i haven't beat it yet because, i am trying to get the platinum trophy so, i am having to tie up loose ends before i finish the story... i pry could of beaten this days ago but, i thought i'd add to the fun by trying to earn all the trophies...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 06:43 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4