Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dan Houser Interview and DLC Preview
1UP
post Jan 28 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #1

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 738

A Interview with Rockstar Games's Dan Houser seems to have surfaced at Telegraph.co.uk , talking about the games comparison to movies, the past, present, and future of the series, the soon to come out Downloadable Content, and where the Grand Theft Auto series may be heading. Houser didn't drop any bombs, but a interesting read and may hint at what Houser wants to evolve the series into.

Small bit of the interview:

"There was a sense that in some way movies were a higher art form and video games could aspire to be like them, says Dan Houser, vice president of creative at Rockstar and lead writer on GTA IV. I think now, because we and a few other companies are making products, that this isn't the case. They're just different and video games are capable of things that movies aren't."

Read the full interview here

Telegraph also have a preview of The Lost & Damned posted up, a somewhat lengthy run through of the game and details of three of the games missions that they played themselves. I'll let those of you who don't mind spoilers read through the short missions preview yourselves so that I don't ruin the story or excitement for the others.

Tidbit of the preview:

"The Lost & Damned's story runs in tandem to the main plot of GTA 4 and occasionally overlaps it, but it's very different in terms of style and pacing. Rather than slowly exploring Liberty City through the eyes of an immigrant with a helpful series of tutorial missions (as in GTA 4), players step into the shoes of a lifelong native and are hurled, all guns blazing, straight into the action."

Read the full preview here

--------------------
eVeRytHinG Is As iT ShoULd bE

FaLlS aPArT
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DiO
post Jan 29 2009, 02:20 AM
Post #2

Forgot about member titles for awhile there...
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 1,564

Too bad there is no comment on how he sold out the PS3 fans.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
mitch_miteb
post Jan 29 2009, 07:51 AM
Post #3

Upstanding Citizen

Group: New Members
Member No.: 47,607

QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jan 29 2009, 02:20 AM) [snapback]1481027[/snapback]

Now, now remember the next entire Rockstar franchise will be a PS3 exclusive. And it's not L.A. Noire. Remember that article? http://www.gamespot.com/news/6175813.html
Achievements

+Quote Post
1UP
post Jan 30 2009, 02:26 AM
Post #4

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(mitch_miteb @ Jan 29 2009, 03:51 AM) [snapback]1481047[/snapback]
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jan 29 2009, 02:20 AM) [snapback]1481027[/snapback]

Now, now remember the next entire Rockstar franchise will be a PS3 exclusive. And it's not L.A. Noire. Remember that article? http://www.gamespot.com/news/6175813.html

Has nothing to do with that, with the right price any franchise would do the same. It's not like Rockstar is different. Microsoft is just the one with money to burn in attempt to sway fans to the 360. If at all possible any of the three (Ninendo, MS, Sony), would make a monopoly. The people that lose are the gamers. Microsoft was simply looking to capture a larger part of the GTA series market, they sure as hell didn't pay 50 million because they want their own system owners to be happy.

Having said that, Rockstar Games really don't care if their fans are mad about it or not, they got paid.

--------------------

FaLlS aPArT
Achievements

+Quote Post
Roman
post Jan 30 2009, 02:30 AM
Post #5

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 7,026

QUOTE(mitch_miteb @ Jan 29 2009, 07:51 AM) [snapback]1481047[/snapback]

Too bad it has nothing to do with GTA. And LA Noire was originally a PS3 exclusive but recently there has been speculation that it is coming to the Xbox 360 because they no longer refer to it as a PS3 exclusive but as "it is coming to next gen consoles." I don't actually care because I have both consoles so I don't need to be a fan boy.

And the interview really means nothing, I am surprised it was even posted. All he said that video games can do things movies can't, and I am sure he meant DLC. But nearly all games have DLC these days so was this really worth a front page story?

This post has been edited by Roman: Jan 30 2009, 02:30 AM
Achievements

+Quote Post
1UP
post Jan 30 2009, 02:47 AM
Post #6

Upstanding Citizen

Not exactly for big stories, it's for any news. When there isn't much news the smaller stuff get's posted. You've gotten to used to the barrage of news in the past. Besides not that bad, gives some insight to what Dan Houser is thinking.

--------------------

FaLlS aPArT
Achievements

+Quote Post
Psy
post Jan 30 2009, 04:16 AM
Post #7

You'll Never Walk Alone
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
XBL Gamertag: Psyware
PSN Name: Psycopsy
Xfire Identity: Psyware

Yeah, one thing we're trying to do is have a fair few news articles each week. It's what we used to do in the GTA San Andreas days and it was pretty popular with people, so we'll pretty much be posting as much stuff as we can about Rockstar and GTA when we find it.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Jan 30 2009, 06:12 AM
Post #8

Boss
Group Icon

Member No.: 40,397

Thanks for NOT posting all of the 'previews' some websites are offering based on their speculations from viewing the screenshots and reading an hype article off of another gaming website.

The interview was good, not full of details, which is also good. Feb. 17th is approaching quickly...
Achievements

+Quote Post
1UP
post Jan 30 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #9

Upstanding Citizen

Update - Edited the site news post... To tell the truth I thought the interview WAS the preview as well, after looking again I see
it wasn't. I guess I read them backwards. I will edit the first post to include their preview as well. Apologies for the mistake.

Anyway about the interview, I myself think it says more then you all realized, if you think about the people complaining about the change they have done to the GTA series this time. It shows signs in the interview of why and what we may be able to expect for the future Grand Theft Autos.

If you ask me it says that they plan to further and embrace more realism, particularly story telling. GTA IV was mostly about making an in-depth world. Rockstar want to expand much more on the idea, as Dan Houser said...

I think the medium is still very young, he says, “It's not a baby, but it's still probably an infant. So everything is growing and evolving as we go along and we're still figuring out how to do stuff.

--------------------

FaLlS aPArT
Achievements

+Quote Post
DiO
post Jan 30 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #10

Forgot about member titles for awhile there...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

QUOTE(1UP @ Jan 30 2009, 04:39 AM) [snapback]1481140[/snapback]
If you ask me it says that they plan to further and embrace more realism, particularly story telling. GTA IV was mostly about making an in-depth world. Rockstar want to expand much more on the idea, as Dan Houser said...

For sure.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 05:40 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4