IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> large hadron collider, what mysteries will they discover?
shootthebandit
post Sep 11 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #1

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,504

im quite excited about this. two protons colliding at 99% of the speed of light. noone knows what will happen, what will they discover?

i think they will discover that the nucleus of an atom is infact a sun and electrons are planets. thus proving that there are billions of galaxies within an eye of a needle.

whats your theory?
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
psychÝ
post Sep 12 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #2

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 1,279

QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Sep 11 2008, 10:55 PM) [snapback]1464346[/snapback]
im quite excited about this. two protons colliding at 99% of the speed of light. noone knows what will happen, what will they discover?

i think they will discover that the nucleus of an atom is infact a sun and electrons are planets. thus proving that there are billions of galaxies within an eye of a needle.

whats your theory?

That you don't have a clue what you are talking about or what the scientific definition of the word theory is.

What would actually be good is if they were all completely wrong with there hypothesises.

--------------------

Dragonfly
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post Sep 12 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #3

Goon
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

Being proven wrong is what makes science so credible and practical. I personally would like to see some improvement in quantum mechanics/physics and the possibility of separate dimensions. Mostly string theory stuff.

I'm not sure there could be such a thing as a god particle though.

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
Un-Amurikan Bast...
post Sep 12 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #4

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 17,310

QUOTE(King Midas Bitch! @ Sep 11 2008, 07:01 PM) [snapback]1464373[/snapback]
Being proven wrong is what makes science so credible and practical. I personally would like to see some improvement in quantum mechanics/physics and the possibility of separate dimensions. Mostly string theory stuff.

I'm not sure there could be such a thing as a god particle though.

The only reason they think there's a God Particle is because everything so far points to the existence of something like that. They just want to see if something a little more conclusive shows up. Like the explosive destruction of the universe.

--------------------

QUOTE(Styx)
Dancin' on a landmine baby one leg left, I can still crawl and I'm not dead yet. You better get a bigger gun, I'm not dead yet.

QUOTE(K. M. Munshi)
Have a scripture to recite, but make your own path.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Screw Loose
post Sep 12 2008, 02:51 AM
Post #5

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 25,696

I've heard this can lead to the formation of microscopic black holes... but i've also heard that there is a miniscule chance of this happening, and more than likely if this happened it would disapear in .000000001 of a second and wouldn't do anything because it would be unstable

They spent 6 billion dollars on this... would be fuckin hilarious if they failed trying to discover secrets of the universe. Why spend 6 billion on that contraption when you could spend 15 bucks on a bible rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
( . )( . )
Achievements

+Quote Post
Seeen
post Sep 12 2008, 02:56 AM
Post #6

Vandal

Member No.: 5,816
PSN Name: SeeenRulez

Anytime something about String Theory is on TV, I always watch it. After all this time, I STILL can't fathom a lot of the stuff they're talking about. It's all way over my head.

QUOTE(Screw Loose @ Sep 11 2008, 07:51 PM) [snapback]1464393[/snapback]
I've heard this can lead to the formation of microscopic black holes... but i've also heard that there is a miniscule chance of this happening, and more than likely if this happened it would disapear in .000000001 of a second and wouldn't do anything because it would be unstable

They spent 6 billion dollars on this... would be fuckin hilarious if they failed trying to discover secrets of the universe. Why spend 6 billion on that contraption when you could spend 15 bucks on a bible rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

This is some straight-up Half-Life shit. They're gonna accidentally boost the anti-mass spectrometer one day and cause a giant rip in the universe which will devour everything ever known.
Achievements

+Quote Post
psychÝ
post Sep 12 2008, 03:17 AM
Post #7

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Screw Loose @ Sep 12 2008, 03:51 AM) [snapback]1464393[/snapback]

Because that would be an even bigger waste of $15.

They will find something whether or not that is a fundimental particle or just another piece in the puzzle is a different question, the LHC has many other uses other than finding a particle that for all practical purposes doesn't exist anyway.

--------------------

Dragonfly
Achievements

+Quote Post
Skinny†
post Sep 12 2008, 06:22 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 38,184

Aren't they trying to discover what Dark Matter is? That would be very interesting.

--------------------
=D
Achievements

+Quote Post
shootthebandit
post Sep 12 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #9

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 12 2008, 04:17 AM) [snapback]1464399[/snapback]

They will find something whether or not that is a fundimental particle or just another piece in the puzzle is a different question, the LHC has many other uses other than finding a particle that for all practical purposes doesn't exist anyway.

i was jokin about planet thing.

anyway i think they'll definatley make some sort of medical discovery or perhaps change our opinion of the atom structure.

i dont think itll be a wasted effort.
Achievements

+Quote Post
psychÝ
post Sep 12 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #10

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Sep 12 2008, 01:35 PM) [snapback]1464449[/snapback]

anyway i think they'll definatley make some sort of medical discovery or perhaps change our opinion of the atom structure.

No there won't, not any time soon anyway, you have no idea what you are talking about.

This post has been edited by psychÝ: Sep 12 2008, 03:59 PM

--------------------

Dragonfly
Achievements

+Quote Post
shootthebandit
post Sep 12 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #11

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 12 2008, 04:58 PM) [snapback]1464479[/snapback]
QUOTE(shootthebandit @ Sep 12 2008, 01:35 PM) [snapback]1464449[/snapback]

No there won't, not any time soon anyway, you have no idea what you are talking about.

its said that ten years down the line new medical advancements would be created thanx to this.

yes, your right i dont have a fucking clue what im talking about. its still quite intersting
Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post Sep 12 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #12

Pessimistic nihilistic.

Member No.: 10,896
PSN Name: ViceyThaShizzle

Personally I don't think anything revolutionary will become of this, the scientists may discover something of minor importance, but to 99.99% of the population it won't make a difference. But then again, science is unpredictable.

[spoiler](Optional sarcasm) Or of course we could all be consumed by a black hole.[/spoiler]

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
new major on the...
post Sep 12 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #13

Pickpocket

Member No.: 34,134
PSN Name: ARCHmajor

They will discover that nothing happened. and they will be shocked, and then decide to built a 6 trillion dollar one thats even bigger and faster and do it all over again. History repeats itself.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post Sep 12 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #14

Goon
Group Icon

Sure... so do sarcastic comments.

Seriously, something could definitely be found from this thing.

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
shootthebandit
post Sep 12 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #15

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(new major on the block @ Sep 12 2008, 09:24 PM) [snapback]1464532[/snapback]
They will discover that nothing happened. and they will be shocked, and then decide to built a 6 trillion dollar one thats even bigger and faster and do it all over again. History repeats itself.

it cant get any faster. its as close to the speed of light as humanly possible

maybe they make a gun that fires protons. seriously i dont have a fucking clue what im talking about.

i wonder how much damage it would do to you if you stood infront of the proton beam as it reached speeds close to the speed of light.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post Sep 12 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #16

Goon
Group Icon

You might have a hole burned through you... instant death most likely.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
psychÝ
post Sep 13 2008, 05:26 AM
Post #17

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(King Midas Bitch! @ Sep 12 2008, 11:00 PM) [snapback]1464572[/snapback]
You might have a hole burned through you... instant death most likely.

Well for one just no, it wouldn't even be possible as you would be frozen and in a vacuum and if you weren't the the protons would hit the molecules in the air and be disbursed, if it were possible it would do fuck all anyway, it would most likely cause a melanoma or maybe if left for a very long time have some kind of oxidative effect causing scaring to occur, but most likely neither of those option, the protons would just be dispelled and reactive with something in the air, might get some H3O+ the excitement, apart from the bit where that occurs naturally in solution anyway......

Go stick your face in a bucket of bleach and imagine it like 1,000 times less painful, maybe like that, maybe not, if nothing else it will help give you a new perspective.

This post has been edited by psychÝ: Sep 13 2008, 05:30 AM

--------------------

Dragonfly
Achievements

+Quote Post
Un-Amurikan Bast...
post Sep 13 2008, 06:15 AM
Post #18

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 17,310

Can you not be a condescending cock to everyone at least once in a while? Seriously.

ANYway, I think the only thing that'll come of this is the discovery of maybe a new element or two that are completely irrelevant to anything because the molecules are only stable for 0.0000000000000000004 seconds. At most I think it will simply cause a small revision of molecular theory due to the discovery of some unknown property of electrons or something. Maybe the understanding of how certain particles react in certain conditions. I really can't see this going anywhere big. Even if it proved the God particle exists, it really doesn't mean shit to anything or anyone.

--------------------

QUOTE(Styx)
Dancin' on a landmine baby one leg left, I can still crawl and I'm not dead yet. You better get a bigger gun, I'm not dead yet.

QUOTE(K. M. Munshi)
Have a scripture to recite, but make your own path.

Achievements

+Quote Post
TwoFacedTanner
post Sep 13 2008, 06:21 AM
Post #19

Clepto

Member No.: 908
XBL Gamertag: IanCredible988

QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 11 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]1464399[/snapback]

I know right?

I wouldnt spend $15 on a bible.
Just get the free ones out of the hotels.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Skinny†
post Sep 13 2008, 10:07 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 38,184

QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Sep 13 2008, 04:21 PM) [snapback]1464629[/snapback]
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 11 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]1464399[/snapback]

I know right?

I wouldnt spend $15 on a bible.
Just get the free ones out of the hotels.

Or you could get any book that contains facts, and not fairytales.

QUOTE(Un-Amurikan Bastage)
ANYway, I think the only thing that'll come of this is the discovery of maybe a new element or two that are completely irrelevant to anything because the molecules are only stable for 0.0000000000000000004 seconds. At most I think it will simply cause a small revision of molecular theory due to the discovery of some unknown property of electrons or something.

They can reuse the technology, and it has many uses.

--------------------
=D
Achievements

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 09:26 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4