IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why I think GTA will not work outside the USA., This is not fact, only opinion. Please state your arguments.
The Cool
post May 31 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #1

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,279

The following is my own personal opinion. No, I have never been outside the United States of America. The only thing I know of other countries is from T.V. and Movies. So please don't call me a stupid American. I hope you will come in and educate me, because right now I would be pissed if the next game was overseas. So lets respect everybody's opinions, and have an intelligent conversation.

(My 8 reasons it would suck)

1. Driving on the other side of the road.
2. The Radio stations.
3. The types of vehicles.
4. The range of characters. (The U.S. has Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latinos, Italians, Indians, Irish, British, Russian, etc....)
5. The Criminal Lifestyles (I don't see much on Adult criminal life overseas)
6. I don't see how they would mix the accents well, and make it seem legit.
7. GTA has always made fun of Americas over-hyped media, and cultural lifestyles. (We don't get much of your media over here, so it would be hard to relate to the jokes. (I do like Shaun of the Dead though)
8. I just think it would limit the games overall potential.

p.s. none of this is personal, and my opinion is an uneducated one.

--------------------
The one they call Cool
But you can call me Urb
(- Reginald Urban -)
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HB~Sauce
post May 31 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #2

Vandal

Member No.: 20,125

I agree with your list, especially 2,3, and 7.

--------------------
I get bored...
Achievements

+Quote Post
TwoFacedTanner
post May 31 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #3

Clepto

Member No.: 908
XBL Gamertag: IanCredible988

You know...not everyone drives on that side of the road.

And there are some vicious criminals around the world we never hear about.

This post has been edited by TwoFacedTanner: May 31 2008, 09:23 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
gingergenius
post May 31 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #4

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 27,536

QUOTE(The Cool @ May 31 2008, 08:15 PM) [snapback]1443627[/snapback]
The following is my own personal opinion. No, I have never been outside the United States of America. The only thing I know of other countries is from T.V. and Movies. So please don't call me a stupid American. I hope you will come in and educate me, because right now I would be pissed if the next game was overseas. So lets respect everybody's opinions, and have an intelligent conversation.

(My 8 reasons it would suck)

2. The Radio stations.
4. The range of characters. (The U.S. has Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latinos, Italians, Indians, Irish, British, Russian, etc....)
7. GTA has always made fun of Americas over-hyped media, and cultural lifestyles. (We don't get much of your media over here, so it would be hard to relate to the jokes. (I do like Shaun of the Dead though)

p.s. none of this is personal, and my opinion is an uneducated one.

yes, it is.

1. This aims your criticism at Britain since most places that aren't the US still drive on the left. And anyway, I can't think of an British person who ever found driving on the right a problem in GTA. Most of the time you drive at top speed on any bit of road you can in GTA, no one's there to tell you off for disobeying traffic laws.

2. Other countries have the radio too.

3. Cars aren't specific to the USA. Most of the best supercars come from Italy. The best executive saloons come from Germany. Japan is widely acknowledged as making the most efficient cars. It really doesn't matter what country you do it in.

4. I'll just use London as an example here. It was the centre of an Empire that spread to all parts of the globe. We've seen a steady stream of immigrants from everywhere. London is the second most multicultural city in the world after NYC. You get all races here.

5. You don't think there's crime overseas.

Johannesburg, South Africa has the highest murder rate in the world. Mogadishu, Somalia is the most dangerous city in the world - there's 12 year olds running around with AKs there on a regs.

All major British cities have a considerable black on black gun crime and street gang problem. Britain is also suffering an epidemic of youth stabbings, there's about 1 death a day in a small country like ours.

French cities have massive tensions between immigrants and whites in their cities which have spilled into really violent riots recently. We've had plenty of race riots in Britain too, the most recent between blacks and muslims.

If you want organised crime - the Neapolitan Mafia and the Sicilian Mafia are much more serious than any US mafia. In Naples the Mafia is conducting a campaign against Roma/ Gypsies and the government can't do jack. clicky

There's organised crime running immigration, drugs etc. all over the world not just America.

6. Why would they have to mix the accents? The characters would speak with the appropriate accent, like they do in the other GTAs....

7. Did you ever stop to think that non-American players might find it hard to relate to the jokes about America? No. The jokes are based on stereotypes that we recognise worldwide, about any country.

8. That point doesn't mean anything.

This post has been edited by gingergenius: May 31 2008, 10:46 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
DanD
post May 31 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #5

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 37,897

Surely a game made by British developers about Britain would be far better at getting British 'accents' right? (Judging by your comment about the 'other side of the road' - I assume you are reffering to Britain.

Your comments are biased though, whilst a GTA outside of America may not work for YOU I am sure there are countless others who it would work for. smile.gif (like me biggrin.gif)
Achievements

+Quote Post
Skinny 
post Jun 2 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 38,184

QUOTE(The Cool @ Jun 1 2008, 05:15 AM) [snapback]1443627[/snapback]
2. The Radio stations.

1. What diffrence does it make?

2. How diffrent do you think music in other english speaking countries is? Most of the artists we hear are from America anyway.

3. Vehicles are the smae everywhere, America apparently has more muscle cars. That's all.

4. So do most Europian and Austrilasian countries.

5. There is crime in other countries >_>.

6. A good solution to that would be to hire actors from that country...

7. Most of GTA's jokes are about sex, wich is primarily universal.

8. Wrong.

--------------------
=D
Achievements

+Quote Post
JoelManiac
post Jun 2 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #7

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 36,253

I'm Aussie and heres my opinion

So does every other game

2. The Radio stations.

We listen to american songs and I'm sure the rest of the world does too.
We have big V8 Holdens and Fords.

Go to any where with a population over 10,000 and I'm sure you will find all of those people.
We have gangs etc. Just because there are less movies on crime life doen't mean there is none. It's actually a big problem over in cities atm.

Sorry don't know what you mean.
I have never heard a joke that i have not understood from overseas so your saying you wont get a joke from over here. Stupid point really.

WTF?

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
MangoPandemic
post Jun 2 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #8

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 41,263

In reference to Number 7, you're forgetting that there's a lot of sort of insider jokes if you will with it being developed in Edinburgh primarily, a lot of British references that most outside the UK won't catch. Vice City and SA (Leaf Links comes to mind) was full of them, I haven't found as many in IV but they are there.

And to Number 5, you haven't lived till you've seen a proper British crime film (Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels being the classic example).

This is of course, me talking from a British standpoint hailing from Scotland, but each and every country has its own examples all over the world, as is the nature of society.

However, with the states being as large a percentage of the gaming population as it is, I don't think it would sell as well because there is a current comfort zone with these sandbox games in an American environment.

--------------------
[image="center"]http://card.mygamercard.net/MangoPandemic.png[/image]

100% Complete
Rank 2 Multiplayer
42/50 Xbox 360 Achievements
Achievements

+Quote Post
PhantomStranger
post Jun 2 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #9

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 419

This topic proves the ignorance of the average american. The guys that created GTA aren't american to begin with, they're british. The reason it works well in america is because you guys are so over the top. It's easy for the creators to take full advantage of this and use your stereotypes to tell a story while subtly being able to take the piss at the same time. All the other crap you said is irrelevant.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
reform
post Jun 2 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #10

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 1,934

I lol'd at how everyone came in and said the same thing as gingergenius. Quoting and saying "yes true" would have been easier.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
NIGGALICIOUS
post Jun 2 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #11

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 31,628

I don't really agree or disagree with any of the points, although When I play The Getaway I don't really like any of the cars in the game, Most are small and shitty imo, Might be a good car in real life, but I don't like the really small ugly cars. Sorry, Just my opinion. I like to see a wide variety of vehicles, Muscel cars, Exotics, Sports, Suvs, Compact, Luxary, Full size cars, etc

This post has been edited by NiggaMan: Jun 2 2008, 05:48 PM

--------------------
KKK
Achievements

+Quote Post
I Made Your Mom ...
post Jun 2 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #12

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 8,614
XBL Gamertag: Strike Viper
PSN Name: Imbrium

QUOTE(The Cool @ May 31 2008, 08:15 PM) [snapback]1443627[/snapback]
2. The Radio stations.

Assuming you're talking about a London or UK-based GTA...

1. Most English people have adjusted to driving on the left. Why can't you adjust to driving on the right? What difference does it make?
2. From what I've heard most English radio stations are exactly the same as American ones.
3. Again, pretty much the same. Less SUVs - big loss...
4. Most European countries are the same.
5. The crime rate in Europe is generally much lower than in the US, so this is a valid point.
6. Elaborate. If you're referring to a complete lack of anything other than posh or cockney accents then I agree.
7. We don't get much British media here. It's all re-runs on 5 year old US sitcoms. Our cultures are alarmingly similar nowadays. However I do agree that it's more difficult to make fun of advertising and media which isn't as over-hyped, obvious and un-thought out.
8. How? It's still based on the same planet isn't it? With all the gravity, air and cars and stuff...

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bouncing
post Jun 3 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #13

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 41,174

Most of these are based on culture -- the GTA series is dripping with American culture, so you're supposing it won't sell overseas. But other cultural entertainment products from the United States do well around the world, like movies and TV shows.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PhantomStranger
post Jun 3 2008, 03:26 AM
Post #14

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 419

QUOTE(bouncing @ Jun 3 2008, 10:46 AM) [snapback]1444262[/snapback]
Most of these are based on culture -- the GTA series is dripping with American culture, so you're supposing it won't sell overseas. But other cultural entertainment products from the United States do well around the world, like movies and TV shows.

No He's implying that the game would not work if it was set in say a European country for the next installment. Which is absolute crap.

I also don't understand what he means about the vehicles. American cars are the worst made vehicles in the world at the moment. European cars are at the top of the league with the Japanese closely behind. America used to make great cars but now they're just shit. That said you still find them outside the USA.

I don't think the next game will be set in a non american environment for the reasons I said before but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work if it was.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
grimface1987
post Jun 3 2008, 03:32 AM
Post #15

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 16,070

The point about the criminal lifestyles - well, the game is fiction. Even if the location didn't have a lot of crime in real lefe, i'm sure they would make it so the GTA version will!

--------------------

"Don't get me started on the trannies! It's like, I'm looking at the woman, I'm talking to the woman, I see the woman's penis - now I'm confused!" Richard Bastion, WKTT

Achievements

+Quote Post
The Cool
post Jun 3 2008, 03:40 AM
Post #16

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 38,279

QUOTE(PhantomStranger @ Jun 2 2008, 11:30 AM) [snapback]1444075[/snapback]
This topic proves the ignorance of the average american. The guys that created GTA aren't american to begin with, they're british. The reason it works well in america is because you guys are so over the top. It's easy for the creators to take full advantage of this and use your stereotypes to tell a story while subtly being able to take the piss at the same time. All the other crap you said is irrelevant.

I clearly stated that my "OPINION" was uneducated, yet you still find it necessary to insult me. The reason I created this topic was to be educated, and for the most part everybody's doing that. After reading most of your replies, I have been truly enlightened. I have faith in Rockstar's ability to create good games, and if everything you people has said is true, i'm on board. I would love to see it overseas. It would be a new and fun experience for me.

p.s. I was going to be civil about this, but i'm only human. So, to PhantomStranger, and I quote, "Blow Me." thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by The Cool: Dec 20 2008, 10:07 PM

--------------------
The one they call Cool
But you can call me Urb
(- Reginald Urban -)
Achievements

+Quote Post
bouncing
post Jun 3 2008, 03:40 AM
Post #17

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 41,174

QUOTE(PhantomStranger @ Jun 2 2008, 09:26 PM) [snapback]1444272[/snapback]
No He's implying that the game would not work if it was set in say a European country for the next installment. Which is absolute crap.

Oh, I see. I then disagree too. Language would really be the barrier then, I think. But hey, just make them speak English with funny accents.

GTA Paris would be sweet. They could call it, "Wino City"! wink.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
The Foo
post Jun 3 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #18

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 40,278

There are plenty of iconic and historic buildings in european cities to make a wonderful game setting. I, personally, would love to tool around the british contryside in an 70's MG style car or Mini and then have to head back to London. Jumping the guardrail and taking the Chunnel to France dodging trains at high speed on a Triumph would be great fun. Base jumping from the Eiffel Tower would be a must do.

--------------------
Be Nothing
Achievements

+Quote Post
Dampkring
post Jun 4 2008, 01:37 AM
Post #19

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 41,125

While I agree a location outside the United States would make for a very fun experience, it would take a large part away from what GTA is as a whole. It has always been largely pointed at American pop-culture. It seems to me that it would need to to stay here in satire-America where all the social commentary and stereotypes apply. What would GTA be without the array of American stereotypes? It wouldn't be the GTA we have come to know.

This post has been edited by Dampkring: Jun 4 2008, 01:39 AM
Achievements

+Quote Post
ConQueSteD
post Jun 4 2008, 02:06 AM
Post #20

Bukkake?
Group Icon

Group: Princess
Member No.: 38,555
XBL Gamertag: ConQueSteD TZA
PSN Name: ConQueSteD

QUOTE(PhantomStranger @ Jun 2 2008, 11:30 AM) [snapback]1444075[/snapback]

Well phantom we have ignorance? Did you DID YOU NOT READ HIS FUCKING POST? I think your the ignorant one. He is using His own opinion and you try to criticize him for his own opinion. How the fuck could we understand german radio stations. not every one understands german, France, Spanish. Just because one person doesn't like your opinion doesn't mean you have to be all over them. People use their opinion and here everone try's to change the opinion.

I agree with the Cool. Because it wouldn't feel normal for me to be outside of america, I wouldn't say i'd hate it im saying it would be complicating to under stand thier accent and their cultural beleifs. It would be somthing new and could be excitting when there is still detroit, and other places that america still has to give.

This post has been edited by I2un N Gun: Jun 4 2008, 02:07 AM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 10:02 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4