> New Zealand To Recieve Uncut Version
Pieface
post May 21 2008, 03:11 PM
Post #1

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

There has been alot of contraversy following the whole edited version of GTA4 in Australia and New Zealand, but now New Zealand have officially been given the go ahead by the OFLC (Office of Film and Literature Classification)
When it was announced that New Zealand would receive the same edited version of the hit video game Grand Theft Auto IV that was destined for the Australian market, there was anger in the local gaming community. There has never been an official announcement by publisher Take-Two Interactive about the reasons behind this, but logic suggests it was because it would be easier to supply the “Australiasian” region with a single version of the game. So New Zealand, which does have an R18 rating, received a version of the game which was watered down to please the censors in neighbouring Australia, where the highest possible rating for a game is “MA15+”. Anything deemed unsuitable for this rating is effectively banned in Australia. The lack of any official comment from Take-Two, or the game’s developer Rockstar, about their actions or detailing the changes made in this “special edition”, frustrated gamers who had waited anxiously for months to play this game. New Zealand laws prevented the sale of parallel imported “grey market” uncut games (any game of this nature must pass through the appropriate censorship bodies prior to being sold), but did not prevent individuals from importing “for personal use”. However the thought of waiting even longer for an unedited version from overseas was too much to bear for many.

One man who was not happy with situation was Stan Calif, founder and director of First Games. Stan was not only annoyed that New Zealand would be receiving an edited version of the game courtesy of Take-Two - he also thought it was more than a bit cheeky that New Zealanders would be paying “full price” for a cut-down game. He was determined to give Kiwis the right to buy the “uncut” version locally.

To read the rest of the article head towards http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2008/05/21/gta-i...ealand-streets/

Looking very good for the GTA fans in New Zealand, or is it too late with the go-ahead being given weeks after the actual release?

Source http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2008/05/21/gta-i...ealand-streets/

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Indy
post May 21 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #2

Vandal

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,844

This is stupid, most hardcore GTA fans, who actually care about this, will have already bought the game. Though I guess it's better then never.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
ezekiel 08
post May 22 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #3

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 39,081

Since I already bought a copy from here in Australia AND one from NZ (I pre ordered it thinking it will be uncut, like 1000's of others) but found it will be cut also. I kept my order as I got the exclusive gamerpics and MS points for my 360. I was going to get an Uncut copy from the UK but that would take forever to get here so I'm excited to hear this news. I'll probably get another copy from GP Store if they DO sell the uncut version. The Cut version sucks, no dismemberment or 'proper' hooker scenes, and watered down swearing. I want limbs when I throw grenades dammit!

--------------------

‡ ‡ My 360 can blog, can yours? ‡ ‡

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
Completed Retail (Xbox 360) =
63 | Retail Competition Rate = 87.87%

Achievements

+Quote Post
M@2me
post May 22 2008, 01:07 AM
Post #4

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 355

dont spose i can go trade in my copy? would i be able 2 use the same save file aswell or wud i hav 2 start again?

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
aussie_b8ler
post May 22 2008, 06:07 AM
Post #5

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 38,947

However the thought of waiting even longer for an unedited version from overseas was too much to bear for many.

this is bull shit. i ordered it from america and i got it on thursday, two days after it was released.

however i think it is good to see that our neighbours are not suffering just because we have to.
Achievements

+Quote Post
GxZ
post May 22 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #6

Upstanding Citizen

Group: New Members
Member No.: 39,444

Strange news.

As a NZer, I pre-ordered my copy from dse.co.nz, largely cos they've been more reliable than expected with past pre-orders.

Phoned their helpline the day I heard the NZ version was also censored, and the guy read an e-mail that they'd received from Take Two which CLEARLY stated that they had decided to release an uncut version to NZ, and not-so-clearly implied that this decision was made because of negative feedback regarding the plan to release the cut version.

I'm disappointed I was lied to... but of course even having the censored version of the game in my hands, I didn't care as long as I could play some IV.

All a bit lame. OFLC needs to get its shit sorted.
Achievements

+Quote Post
GxZ
post May 22 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #7

Upstanding Citizen

Group: New Members
Member No.: 39,444

All a bit lame. OFLC needs to get its shit sorted.

This post has been edited by GxZ: May 22 2008, 02:25 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
Mekstizzle
post May 22 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #8

Nobody Special
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 7,717

GTA4 has no dismemberment. Even our version has nothing when you explode someone with an explosive.

Has anyone got a list of what's actually been cut?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Harlequiine
post May 24 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #9

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 40,237

QUOTE(Mekstizzle @ May 23 2008, 03:22 AM) [snapback]1439932[/snapback]
GTA4 has no dismemberment. Even our version has nothing when you explode someone with an explosive.

Has anyone got a list of what's actually been cut?

That's what I want to know.
I didn't think there was dismemberment in the American version, and obviously there isn't in my version (Australian).
I can't see how they watered down the swearing as I heard 'c*nt' used a few times, can't be TOO watered down.
The only thing I've noticed is (from what I can see) is there is no interaction with the hookers. I've seen some around and walked up to a couple but nothing came up, so either I'm doing it wrong or they cut it from the Australian version. Although in the statistics there is something about money spent on hookers, so I'm not quite sure. There's also no nudity in strip clubs, I'm not sure if there is in the American one so someone will have to clear that up for me.
But who really cares if there is no hookers in the game? If you actually CARE about it, you need to grow up in my opinion.

This post has been edited by Harlequiine: May 24 2008, 09:03 AM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 02:29 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4