Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ecstasy, An Inconvenient Truth
gingergenius
post Apr 21 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #1

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,536

For those of you who don't know, Ecstasy is a drug most commonly taken as a pill, which gives users an extreme sense of euphoria, an accentuation of the senses, a feeling of togetherness and generally makes the user incredibly happy. It is a Class A drug, along with Heroin, Cocaine etc.

In the 1970s and early 80s, Ecstasy (MDMA) was legal across the USA. It had been developed as a drug to help people with post traumatic stress disorder revisit their trauma in a more positive light. At the time just before ecstasy was made illegal, it was hugely popular with young dancers, especially in the Dallas area. At the time you could buy the pill and be sure that it was 100% ecstasy.

Then, the US government got involved. They saw that this was a drug which was used by millions of Americans. "Of course", they said, "all drugs are bad". The Reagan administration launched a 'Just Say No' campaign. This was based on the idea that you should live your life as 'God' wanted you to. A government sponsored scientific study came up with the conclusion that one dose of the drug could cause permanent brain damage and parkinson's disease.

In the period following the ban, Ecstasy became less popular in the USA due to lack of availability. It was in Europe that it took off. However, the Ecstasy in Europe was criminalised. With criminal gangs in control, they were keen to make as much profit as possible. So Ecstasy pills became diluted, depurified and therefore more volatile. In the UK, Ecstasy became a huge part of an underground rave scene and usage continued to increase. At the same time, the New Scientist, an independent British journal, published a study into the effects of Ecstasy contradicting the American government-sponsored science. Old, middle aged ex-users agreed with this, with there being apparently no effect on them or their friends no matter how many times they used the drug.

So, we have a drug which is unlike any other. The effects of the drug are wholly positive - unlike with alcohol or weed or anything else there is no chance of a user regretting their experience. I'd say 99% of people who've taken Ecstasy will say it was one of the best feelings of their life. Unlike Heroin and Cocaine, Ecstasy is not physically addictive. Unlike alcohol, it's effects do not encourage anti-social behaviour; in fact they are quite the opposite. There is no conclusive scientific evidence suggesting that Ecstasy has any serious long-term affect on the brain, particularly compared to any ordinary prescription drug. The criminalisation of Ecstasy 1) increases the likelihood of a pill containing other dangerous substances, and 2) is repressive without reason.

Why is it not legal?
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post Apr 21 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Goon
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

Source?

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
psychÝ
post Apr 21 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #3

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 1,279

The is little conclusive evidence that most illegal drugs have a long term effect because no long term studies have been done, doesn't mean it is the case.

--------------------

Dragonfly
Achievements

+Quote Post
gingergenius
post Apr 21 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #4

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Leng Tch @ Apr 21 2008, 10:08 PM) [snapback]1417697[/snapback]
Source?

Part 1 of a documentary by Peter Jennings

@ Psycho, there's a lot of evidence. For starters the fact that everyone knows the life-ruining qualities of heroin, coke, meth, alcohol etc. Anyway the issue here is how a drug no more harmless than any ordinary prescription drug was suddenly made illegal to the same level that heroin is, and the subsequent myths that float around, encouraged by the media, about how bad Ecstasy is. Most parents probably wouldn't care too much if they found their child smoked a bit of weed from time to time. Ecstasy? They'd flip out. This is completely down to the Reagan government.

This post has been edited by gingergenius: Apr 21 2008, 11:58 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
Mekstizzle
post Apr 21 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #5

Nobody Special
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,717

I've always wanted to try that. I dunno, sounds dangerous though. Not that I'm particularly succeptable to anything. I've been casually smoking ciggarettes for fuck knows how long and I'm still not addicted, and weed too, and I keep getting more and more resistant to alcohol (hurts my wallet sad.gif)

The fact that it's grouped in as fucking class A makes me think twice. No way will I be doing fucked up shit like Heroine or Crack...
Achievements

+Quote Post
Naphthyloxy
post Apr 22 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #6

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 39,578

QUOTE(gingergenius @ Apr 21 2008, 07:53 PM) [snapback]1417859[/snapback]
QUOTE(Leng Tch @ Apr 21 2008, 10:08 PM) [snapback]1417697[/snapback]
Source?

Part 1 of a documentary by Peter Jennings

@ Psycho, there's a lot of evidence. For starters the fact that everyone knows the life-ruining qualities of heroin, coke, meth, alcohol etc. Anyway the issue here is how a drug no more harmless than any ordinary prescription drug was suddenly made illegal to the same level that heroin is, and the subsequent myths that float around, encouraged by the media, about how bad Ecstasy is. Most parents probably wouldn't care too much if they found their child smoked a bit of weed from time to time. Ecstasy? They'd flip out. This is completely down to the Reagan government.

It has been dated farther into general history than that of the Reagan years. Psychedelics are poison... Poison in the sense of altering ones own perception of reality or what has been classified as so. The only reason that the accessibility has gone down over the past years is, of course due to the Regan years most recently and the increase of society and social idiosyncrasy. Cultures that use it for religious purpose do it for just that reason. Instead of doing the drug to reach a relaxed state of mind all because of the shittiness of society and lack of communication thereof, they do it for guidance, cleansing, manhood, and reassurance of faith in their community, tribe, et cetera. Obviously, if you are around it more, you will not be concerned with a specific mood before consumption(foreign tribes), but for those that try it for the first time, especially when manufacture, there is always a higher chance of a "bad trip" and poisoning, unless you know the right people and or already know that no matter which psychedelic you use, it will scientifically be poisoning you. drool.gif

If this is a concering issue than the fact that everthing is a drug should be questioned to the extent in which we are speaking.

Mekingtons, trust me, "class A" is just something to strike fear. Alcohol is a poison and yet it hurts your wallet? Anything can kill you if used all of the time, whether it be literally or metaphorically.

--------------------
[spoiler]Signatures relate to an ever concerning growth in individuality.[/spoiler]
Achievements

+Quote Post
Un-Amurikan Bast...
post Apr 22 2008, 03:13 AM
Post #7

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 17,310

^ I like how "reality" has to be classified as so these days wink.gif

--------------------

QUOTE(Styx)
Dancin' on a landmine baby one leg left, I can still crawl and I'm not dead yet. You better get a bigger gun, I'm not dead yet.

QUOTE(K. M. Munshi)
Have a scripture to recite, but make your own path.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Skinny†
post Apr 22 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 38,184

QUOTE(gingergenius @ Apr 22 2008, 06:59 AM) [snapback]1417690[/snapback]
Why is it not legal?

The adds against ecstacy on TV show a guy who fucked up his teeth by taking ecstacy. What they don't tell you is that that was most likely caused by ecstacy being made in unsafe conditions for the manufacture of pills or the makers of the pills put in (unsafe) cheaper ingredience when making the pills.

If they decreased the effects to give it a less powerful high it could be made legal. There wouldn't be any real problem with tax that I can think of.

This post has been edited by Skinny.: Jun 15 2008, 05:12 AM

--------------------
=D
Achievements

+Quote Post
Ophis-
post Apr 22 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #9

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Validating
Member No.: 5,815
PSN Name: ophis-

When a drug doesn't have any facts that it will not have a long term effect, its usally because it doesn't have any evidance to suggest it does not have a long term effect also.. and tbh, I'd rather pretend it DID have an effect then take it loads and find out afterwards.

E's arn't my fav drug in the world... I can't Mix for shit when i've taken them, i need to concentrate. I can rave without.

--------------------
[meh]
Achievements

+Quote Post
Kryton
post Apr 22 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #10

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 39,127

Saw an Oprah special ages ago about people who take loads of E's every week and they had a scan of a chicks brain who had been doing like 20-40 E's a week for a year. She had holes in her brain the size of golf balls. ohmy.gif
Stopped me from takin E's right then.
Plus the comedown the next day is always a bitch

--------------------

EA The Evil Empire
Achievements

+Quote Post
gingergenius
post Apr 22 2008, 03:53 PM
Post #11

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Kryton @ Apr 22 2008, 12:00 PM) [snapback]1418150[/snapback]
Saw an Oprah special ages ago about people who take loads of E's every week and they had a scan of a chicks brain who had been doing like 20-40 E's a week for a year. She had holes in her brain the size of golf balls. ohmy.gif
Stopped me from takin E's right then.
Plus the comedown the next day is always a bitch

well duh. That's drug abuse. But that would happen if you took a raw amount of a prescription pill as well.

Normal ravers take a few pills on a night out and only the most hardcore go every weekend. That is considerably less than 20-40; a stupid reason to stop doing them..
Achievements

+Quote Post
Bain
post Apr 22 2008, 04:20 PM
Post #12

Rat
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,884

All I know is most people who told me they have tried it hated it, and it dehydrates you till you are in horrible shape, and that it is not worth the risk.

Im not saying my stance on its legalization, but I heard its shitty.

--------------------
BAIN POINTS:

Pickles: +7
D-O: +88
Mekstizzle: +10
QD: -10
Frog Choker: + 13
Analogkid: -25
Psy: -8
Ast: +10
Treefitty: -10
Viceman: -59*
Massacre: +5
Spoiler: -14
Voodoo: +17

*= Fail
Achievements

+Quote Post
Naphthyloxy
post Apr 22 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #13

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Devil Dog @ Apr 22 2008, 12:20 PM) [snapback]1418321[/snapback]
All I know is most people who told me they have tried it hated it, and it dehydrates you till you are in horrible shape, and that it is not worth the risk.

They probably had an awful time because they did not hydrate themselves.

This post has been edited by Naphthyloxy: Apr 22 2008, 05:02 PM

--------------------
[spoiler]Signatures relate to an ever concerning growth in individuality.[/spoiler]
Achievements

+Quote Post
gingergenius
post Apr 22 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #14

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Devil Dog @ Apr 22 2008, 05:20 PM) [snapback]1418321[/snapback]

fairdos, I've never met anyone who hasn't liked it. Only my best friend did it once and decided never to again, not cos he didn't like it but cos he doesn't want to do drugs... but we're going Ibiza this summer so maybe he'll reconsider.. I've done it about 20 times and loved it every time.

If you drink too much water then what happens to me is you chuck it up... basically it's a really really watery puke, doesn't make your breath smell after and doesn't make you feel ill. It's basically like a hiccup where a lot of water spews out.

If you drink too little then obviously you can get dehydrated. But you have to be stupid to do this, it's like not drinking during exercise. All you need is 2 or 3 glasses of water throughout the night which is fine.

One side affect I get particularly strong is gurning. My jaw clenches together so it looks like I'm chewing gum. This ain't great for your teeth, but for me it's all part and parcel of getting rushing.

Another is pilly willy. Your dick shrinks and goes blue until the effects wear off. Ecstasy's not the best drug to do if you plan on moving to chicks that night.

And also, your face puffs up a bit. And your pupils go fucking huge.

Other than this, there's not much wrong and though that all may seem a lot, none of it's particularly uncomfortable, it's all well worth it. I've talked to people about clubs and I've talked to them about dance music. It may sound sad but you can't properly appreciate some music unless you rave to it on pills. And all these people who've been to this club that club and another club, I know that I've experienced it ten times better because I've been rushing. That's the thing about ecstasy - it doesn't create a new feeling for you like being drunk, which some people like more than others. It simply takes your own happiness and increases it to the highest possible level, which means pretty much everyone loves it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
GTA~BOSS
post Apr 22 2008, 06:22 PM
Post #15

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 39,262

i have seen people have strokes because they forgot or just didn't know that X"s makes your body dehydrate and people or to fucked up to realize they need to drink something besides beer because once again beer does not hydrate you and they overheat passout and before anyone realize they goin into a stroke. 2 have you ever even took X cause you will notice the next mornin your real zoned out that beacuse there is a huge gappin hole in your brain from the chemicals in the drug so yea long term use is BAD FOR YOU REAL BAD before you know it you will be a walkin zombie and it is very additive fpor the fact that its one of the best feelings your ever have
EDITED: i love EX i just don't think it will be a good ideal to legalize it just for the love of god legalize maryjane she done nothin wrong tobacco kills millions in a year maryjane never killed anyone

This post has been edited by GTA~BOSS: Apr 22 2008, 06:26 PM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
psychÝ
post Apr 22 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #16

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(gingergenius @ Apr 22 2008, 12:53 AM) [snapback]1417859[/snapback]
Alcohol etc.
Lol, tell that to the whole student community.

Anyway the issue here is how a drug no more harmless than any ordinary prescription drug was suddenly made illegal to the same level that heroin is
You don't see people getting smacked up on them every time they go out that is why
eabout

Most parents probably wouldn't care too much if they found their child smoked a bit of weed from time to time. Ecstasy?

That really sums it up doesn't it, probably, you don't have any facts or figures at all.

So where is this source?

--------------------

Dragonfly
Achievements

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Apr 22 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #17

Get off my Planet

Member No.: 33,730
XBL Gamertag: CFO Charles
PSN Name: PS-FANBOY1

i like this topic because i can say methalenedioxymethamphetamine
Achievements

+Quote Post
Naphthyloxy
post Apr 22 2008, 07:05 PM
Post #18

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(psychÝ @ Apr 22 2008, 03:00 PM) [snapback]1418434[/snapback]
Alcohol etc.

Anyway the issue here is how a drug no more harmless than any ordinary prescription drug was suddenly made illegal to the same level that heroin is
You don't see people getting smacked up on them every time they go out that is why
eabout

Most parents probably wouldn't care too much if they found their child smoked a bit of weed from time to time. Ecstasy?

That really sums it up doesn't it, probably, you don't have any facts or figures at all.

So where is this source?

Post #4 on this page.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
gingergenius
post Apr 22 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #19

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(psychÝ @ Apr 22 2008, 08:00 PM) [snapback]1418434[/snapback]
Alcohol etc.

eabout

So where is this source?

read the fucking thread, I posted a source.

What exactly is so wrong with people getting fucked up on Ecstasy when they take it? They don't have to work at that time. It doesn't make them violent. And it doesn't kill them. Why should something be banned just because it takes people out of their normal state of mind?

GTA BOSS, I wonder if you've ever done it. The comedown's not that bad at all, it's mainly just tiredness cos you've been up all night. I onceplayed a rugby match the day after, still had massive pupils, still gurning, and it was horrible. But I managed and at the end of the day it didn't 'burn a hole in my brain'.

Before anyone comes with anymore misconceptions, look back through the thread and watch the documentary i posted.

Achievements

+Quote Post
psychÝ
post Apr 22 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #20

Upstanding Citizen

Eh that isn't a source that is a TV program I want a scientific study, TV normally just spreads bollocks.

--------------------

Dragonfly
Achievements

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 03:59 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4