Closed TopicStart new topic
> English Paper on Violent Games, tell me what u think about it
Goterelli657
post Oct 6 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #1

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 267

My english pro. made us write papers on big hot topics so i wrote about violent video games

For a long time violence has been a major problem in America. With people dieing on the streets kids as young as twelve murdering people. Whos to blame? Now in this day in age we are blameing violent video games. But are they the ones who are responisble or is it the kids them selves?

Rockstar games a well known video games manufacture is one of the most contreversial video game manufactuers. With their highly selling Grand Theft Auto series and their newest game Manhunt. Rockstar games has been sued for the most stupidest crimes from scoictey, but that is just my opinion. Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto 3 for the Playstation 2 has been a target for a long time. Rockstar has been sued for GTA3 insoired shootings. " The families of two persons, whose cars were shot at by two teenage boys as they passed through the Great Smoky Mountains on June 25, have filed a $246 million lawsuit against Sony Computer Entertainment America, Take-Two Interactive, Rockstar Games, and Wal-Mart. Aaron Hamel, 45, was killed and Kimberly Bede, 19, was seriously wounded when their cars were fired upon by two stepbrothers, aged 14 and 16, from Newport, Tennessee. The boys told investigators that they had gotten the rifles from a locked room in their home and then started shooting at vehicles on Interstate 40 just like in Grand Theft Auto 3.It's worth noting that GTA is an M-rated game that neither of them should have been playing. The minors are currently serving an indefinite term in state custody after pleading guilty to reckless homicide, endangerment, and assault in juvenile court in August. The suit filed earlier this week alleges that Grand Theft Auto III inspires and trains players to shoot at vehicles and persons, and claims that the game's designers, marketers, and retailers are liable for $46 million in compensatory damages and $200 million in punitive damages." Rockstar Games has reportedly asked a federal judge in Greenville to dismiss the lawsuit. Rockstar has stated that the victims are trying to hold the company accountable "based on the expressive content of the video game" and claims that such "ideas and concepts," as well as the "purported psychological effects" of the shooters, are protected by the First Amendment's free-speech clause. Miami lawyer Jack Thompson, who is representing the victims, dismissed Rockstar's claims and is seeking to move the case back into state court for consideration under Tennessee's consumer protection act." Now what I want to know are the kids that stupid thinking that they would not get in trouble. As well as did they not think fantasy is different from reality. On the box clearly shown it says mature with a big "M" on it and as well as when you buy the game the sells merchant says the games is rated my for mature and its attended for teenagers seventeen and up. Now I ammit to owning GTA3 and when my mom bought it for me she said " I know your not an idiot and that you know fantasty from reality." Also did the parents oh the shooters know they had GTA3 and or did they ever think that they were vilent kids. Now you might be thinking that kids who play it are violent. Thats not necessarily correct Hilary Duff has ommited to play Grand Theft Auto and she even gets the games weeks before. Now if you do not know who Hilary Duff is she is a singer and on disney channels Lizzie Miguire. All little girls want to be like her and all parents with little girls adore Hillary Duff.

Rockstar's lastest Grand Theft Auto is Grand Theft Auto Vice City. A Miami style game set in the 1980's. Its a prequel to its sucessor GTA3. Vice City has also been getting its share of lawsuites. With Haitian-American groupes, bomb scares and as well as the same shooting with GTA3. The Haitian-American groupes sued Rockstar games for haveing the line kill all the Haitians. The line was in a cuban mission when the Cubans were at war with the Haitians. As the character you help out the Cubans in the war and when your doing missions it will give you information. The line was "kill all the Hatians', it was in there as letting you know what you needed to do. It was not ment to be racial. With the Bomb Scare Rockstar was not sued but got some heat. What happened was Anthony S. Jones of Jacksonville, Florida, had a truly unique excuse when he was picked up for phoning in a bomb threat to the restaurant where he worked. According to an article in the Florida-Times Union, "Jones was on the phone with a coworker when he shouted the following words into the phone: "There's a bomb in the building! There's a bomb in the building! Everyone needs to get out!" Rattled, the coworker hung up and informed the manager, who evacuated the restaurant. After the police found no explosives in the restaurant, they "used a call-return feature" to trace the call to Jones. When police arrived on his doorstep, Jones admitted that he had said the threatening words while on the phone--but not to the person on the other end of the line. He claimed that he was merely shouting advice to a "child" playing "the game Grand Theft Auto" (presumably Vice City) while on the line with a coworker. Although the Union article raises more questions than it answers--Did Jones identify himself when he made the call? If so, why would police need to trace the call? Didn't his coworker recognize his voice? Did he have a beef with his workplace? Why was he helping a child play the M-rated GTA?--the outcome of the incident is clear. Jones is currently in jail on a $5,003 bond and will face up to 15 years in jail if convicted." Now from my experince with Vice City there is no mission with a bomb in a building. The newest Grand Theft Auto game Grand Theft Auto San Andreas takes place in the early 1990's with a west coast feel. The game will be htting stores October 26th this year. San Andreas is already getting heat. With people rights groups saying that its a racial game. Because you will play as a black american male unlike the other GTAs your were a white american male. The groups have reported saying " Its making the average black communitey in California seem like drug dealers, murders and common thugs." Rockstar games has already said they are not racial and they just wanted to do something different.

In the UK there is more controversey with another one of Rockstars games. Manhunt by Rockstar is another M-rated game, but I have never played the game for I know nothing about it. What happened was Warren Leblanc faces a life sentence for repeatedly battering Stefan Pakeerah with a claw hammer and stabbing him to death after luring him to a local park in Leicester, in the English Midlands.Britain's Daily Mail Thursday carried a front page headline: "Murder by Playstation" and another saying: "Horror images on computer drove teenager to kill his friend aged 14." Outside the court, Stefan's parents said Leblanc had mimicked a game called Manhunt, made by Rockstar for platforms including Playstation 2, in which the players score points for violent killings. His mother Giselle claimed her son's "inherently evil" murderer was "obsessed" with the game and called for it to be banned. Now before I go on I want to say how could a seventeen year old not know that a video game is fake and you can not get away with things in real life that you can get away with in video games. Giselle Pakeerah, 36, told the UK's Press Association: "I think that I heard some of Warren's friends say that he was obsessed by this game."I can't believe that this sort of material is allowed in a society where anarchy is not that far removed." Stefan's father, Patrick, a civil servant, added: "The way Warren committed the murder this is how the game is set out, killing people using weapons like hammers and knives. "I don't play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don't want them on the shelves." U.S. Lawyer Jack Thompson, who is campaigning against the sale of violent video games to children, told PA he had written to its producers warning that there would be copycat attacks. He said there was evidence to suggest that teenagers playing such games had difficulty distinguishing between the fantasy and reality. In the game, the more vicious the killing the greater the points scored by the player. One of the skills involves sneaking up behind a victim before attacking them.The court heard Wednesday that Leblanc had struck Stefan over the head with a claw hammer from behind, sparking the prolonged assault. Now I can understand the parents are upset and I would be to. I can understand them wanting to sue Rockstar and Sony Playstation. Here is where you have to think how could of the parents not know about their sons actions. Also was the seventenn year old mentley handicaped? Because I am sure that you to think you can kill people and get scores then I think you are handicaped. I am sorry but you have to be really stupid not to know video games from real life.

Now I have gone through this paper defending both sides. But what I believe is that its the parents fault and the stores who sell the games. Rockstar or any corporation should be held responsible. Jack Thompson has though said on his website saying this " on Grand Theft Auto you can gun down innocent civillians, put shotguns in cops faces and killing them to advance through the game, and as well as picking up prostitues and using their services then killing them and takeing their money to also advance through the game." I own every Grand Theft Auto and I can honestly say that you do not have to do anyhting like that it is all an option. You do not need to do those things to advance through the game. These games are like life you can choose to do it or not to. What I am trying to say is since Mr. Thompson is saying video games make the youth become more violent and do things then how come I never have never heard of some kid playing Socom Navy Seals and wanting to join the army. We can not honestly keep blameing other people we have to look on opon our own selves and ammit maybe its our faults to.

--------------------
IPB Image
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*CarBoaster*
post Oct 6 2004, 01:08 AM
Post #2

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 1,619

I wrote a paper close to this last year...

Did I put it on the internet?...hmm...

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Neon™
post Oct 6 2004, 01:16 AM
Post #3

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 88

i think that the people should be able to make up their own minds if they play them or not and if parents don't want them played just dont let them play it. Parents have administrative power over kids in these situations, so if the kid wants it and shows signs of immaturity then say no.

I am 13 and back when i was 9 I got my first games for the good ol PSOne: Spyro the Dragon and Metal Gear Solid VR. I am totally mature enough to play these "M for MATURE/17+" games; hell I even use them as a way to let out anger that is building up at other, maybe even unrelated, things.

It comes down to maturity; it even says it in big bold letters on all the M games: MATURE. If you are a hunting enthusiast and you have guns and you act immature etc then the games might not be for you.

So my bottom line is this: unless the case in point is some psycho household where the kids rule over the parents, then this kind of thing is just so easily preventable that there shouldn't even be a problem with it.

By the way good report there, a few run on's and cutoffs but otherwise very well informed.

A+ lol

--------------------

Milan is better.

Five-second sig, but hey, my car's badass :P

GTA 3 100% // GTA Vice City 100% // GTA San Andreas 100% // GTA Liberty City Stories 100%
Times died: 0. Times busted: 0. Times cheated: 0. On each game on the first run through.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Zacko
post Oct 6 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #4

Vandal
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 54

Good paper few spelling mistakes but I a sure you were just typing fast or something lol

Oh and neonspinnaz I totally agree with you

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Donnie
post Oct 6 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #5

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 101

You may want to edit this in your essay and add this. The Daily Mail were infact given wrong info about the game being found in the killers room. It was actually found in the VICTIMS BEDROOM, either the newspaper did not know about this or they chose to ignore it. I can confim this as true becuase it was on the news. As i live near the area of where it happened. tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Achievements

+Quote Post
Purple_Ninez
post Oct 6 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #6

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 1,417

yea just ignore tha fact that there are drugs gangs broken homes bad parents stress and bordom plagueing our youth its so much easier to blame video games and say tha same thing over and over

--------------------
I like video games but they arent my life.
user posted image
thanx to toge and wozza69 4 my sigs
Achievements

+Quote Post
Joe_Zombie
post Oct 6 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #7

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 173

its good Goterelli657, thats wierd though, I am writing an essay on the same thing right now...

--------------------
user posted image
Achievements

+Quote Post
basicked
post Oct 7 2004, 01:25 AM
Post #8

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 309

learn to spell.

--------------------
IPB Image
prop up custom for the avi
QUOTE(P4yn3 @ Apr 12 2005, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE(Stan Petrov @ Apr 12 2005, 09:50 PM)
oh aye,cause those two are upstanding citizens aint they <_<

Weren't you killed in a bus?
Achievements

+Quote Post
OptimumPx
post Oct 9 2004, 06:49 AM
Post #9

Basket Case
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,168

I wrote a paper with a similar subject last semester for my Argument Based Research class.

Even had to come up with a fancy title to it: "Scapegoats in America; From 'The Charleston' to 'Gabriel Over the White House'"

--------------------
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Fran
post Oct 9 2004, 06:59 AM
Post #10

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 586

to be honest alot of video games have killing in even mario cus you have to kill the little animals but to be honest anybody who harms someone cus they have been playing these games is a bit in the head

--------------------
The Artist Formally Known As Fran!
Achievements

+Quote Post
NCP
post Oct 9 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #11

Nobody Special
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 73

There is a bomb in a building. In the mission Cop Land you need to activate the bomb in the mall. And also the last Cuban mission where you need to blow up the Hatian drug factory with explosives.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
davey boy
post Oct 9 2004, 10:48 AM
Post #12

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 2,273

i just hope we dont have any trouble with san an being banned.we had a bit of trouble with manhunt here in england. if rockstar take the violence further e.g impact animation an more realistic killings) maybe someone in the govenment might say thats enough lets bann this.
Achievements

+Quote Post
OptimumPx
post Oct 10 2004, 05:12 AM
Post #13

Basket Case
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,168

Although this is technically about movies, the message is the same.

“If you have a boy who can be corrupted by the ordinary run of moving picture films you might as well kill him now and save trouble.”
Mayor of Topeka, Kansas - 1908

--------------------
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Dark
post Oct 10 2004, 02:58 PM
Post #14

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 94

I think people who are ages 13 and over have the common sense (hopefully) NOT to and go outside and beat the crap ouuta someone with the baseball bat.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
Achievements

+Quote Post
Billy-Bob
post Oct 14 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #15

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 2,489

Vice city isn't all bad! you blow up an illegal drug factory, disrupt drug deals between gangsters, chase criminals, put out fires and take injured people to hospital. Do the media claim this will persuade kids that putting out fires is a good thing to do? No, because they can't make a story out of that. All the media want is scandal and something to make people buy their papers
Achievements

+Quote Post
reform
post Oct 14 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #16

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 1,934

QUOTE (Billy-Bob @ Oct 14 2004, 01:37 PM)
Vice city isn't all bad! you blow up an illegal drug factory, disrupt drug deals between gangsters, chase criminals, put out fires and take injured people to hospital. Do the media claim this will persuade kids that putting out fires is a good thing to do? No, because they can't make a story out of that. All the media want is scandal and something to make people buy their papers

haha, yeah, good point. reminds me of the pogo the monkey bit on chatterbox "my son runs around looking for gold coins".

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
retro_GTA
post Oct 14 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #17

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 1,284

QUOTE (T.I. R* @ Oct 14 2004, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (Billy-Bob @ Oct 14 2004, 01:37 PM)
Vice city isn't all bad! you blow up an illegal drug factory, disrupt drug deals between gangsters, chase criminals, put out fires and take injured people to hospital.  Do the media claim this will persuade kids that putting out fires is a good thing to do? No, because they can't make a story out of that.  All the media want is scandal and something to make people buy their papers

haha, yeah, good point. reminds me of the pogo the monkey bit on chatterbox "my son runs around looking for gold coins".

I love that bit pogo the monkey is so funny.
"The Shopclass teacher called me today & sam made a homemade banana cannon & was lobing them at a fast food restraunt" or sumthing like that

--------------------
user posted image
Achievements

+Quote Post
Fran
post Oct 14 2004, 06:38 PM
Post #18

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 586

yea but you have a choice to get the game or not(most people do get it) but most people have got common sense i'm not going to pick up a rocket launcher and blow up a helicopter i see in the distance

--------------------
The Artist Formally Known As Fran!
Achievements

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 07:22 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4