Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> FIXED Random Lockups!! What worked for me
FAAmecanic
post Aug 17 2005, 10:16 AM
Post #1

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,585

After fighting with these random lockups since June( lockups entering/leaving houses, lockups using the radio).... I FINALLY think I fixed my game!!!

Stupid me didnt think about updating the firmware on my DVD-RW drive. So I went to Lite-on support page and sure nuf there is a firmware update. I updated EVERYTHING but this. Vid card drivers, sound card (Creative labs Audigy 2 has new drivers as of 5 may 2005 btw), mobo bios....

Updated firmware and played for 3 hours last night without a SINGLE lock-up..... WOOT! I was locking up every mission just before the firmware update.

So if you are having Lock-up problems and have a LITE-ON DVD drive (I have the SHOW1633s) UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE. It seems the old firmware has a problem with SecuROM 7 eveidently. This would probably apply to other drives as well. I remember my old Plextor CDRW had problems with a game and it was a firmware update that fixed it.

Here is the link for Lite-On USA.... LITE ON FIRMWARE UPDATES

Make sure you get the RIGHT file for you model number. You can get your model number off a DirectX report. Go to Start->Run and type in dxdiag and hit enter. Then there should be a button at the bottom to "Save Dx information" or something like that. It will save all your PCs info in a .txt document. Save this to your desktop and open it... in here you can find your model number for any device on your system.

Hopes this helps someone...as I know this game is VERY finiky and buggy as hell. IT frustating to wait 2 yrs for a game and to finally have it and not be able to play it! This may even be the solution for folks with installs that are bombing out...

Now if I could JUST finish that FREEFALL MISSION (god that mission sux)

Good Luck all!

This post has been edited by FAAmecanic: Aug 17 2005, 10:19 AM
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 07:25 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4