> Prototype, Anyone played it?
PabloHoneyOle
post Feb 1 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #1

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 40,397

I just picked up a copy of Prototype. It came out last year, but wasn't anywhere on my radar last year. I was looking for a good 3rd person sandbox game after beating the Saboteur and this one seems like it has a different kind of storyline.

The game is set in New York City, where a virulent plague is spreading through Manhattan. Those infected are mutated into hideous monsters. The United States Marine Corps, under the command of the black ops organization BlackWatch, is dispatched to contain it, putting the entire island under quarantine. At the center of it is the protagonist, Alex Mercer, a shapeshifter with no memory of his past. Alex has the ability to absorb other individuals, taking on their biomass, memories, experiences, and physical forms. Through this process, Alex comes to remember his own past and the secret behind the virus infecting Manhattan and him. Alex can also shapeshift into more specialized forms for attack, defense or sensory enhancement. All of these together are intended to give players multiple ways to complete their objectives. Parallel to the game's storyline is the ability to play the game as a sandbox-style video game giving the player freedom to roam Manhattan.

Alex's primary superpower is his ability to shapeshift, changing his form to suit his needs. Going hand in hand with this power is his ability to "consume" others, absorbing them in their entirety. This process allows Alex to quickly regain health by absorbing the biomass of his enemies. This also allows him to take on the forms of the enemies he absorbs, thereby allowing the player to move about the enemy as one of them. The disguise will only last as long as Alex remains inconspicuous. Alex has super-strength, and will kill most humans in a single punch. He can perform various melee attacks without shapeshifting, as well as more gymnastic moves such as air combos, sliding along the ground using any human enemy's body, and a high-speed rolling cannonball attack.

Alex can also transform parts of his body into a selection of martial implements acquired over the course of the game, either as purchased 'upgrades' or being given them. Offensive powers include the large and powerful Blade, fast razor-sharp Claws (which can also erupt large spikes from the ground), the telescoping Whipfist, Musclemass that augments his strength, and the slow but powerful Hammerfists. Defensive options consist of a large Shield that needs to regenerate after excessive damage, and a full-body Armor that exchanges agility and speed for sheer toughness; both will allow Alex to plow through most obstacles when active. Vision modes include Thermal, which allows Alex to see enemies through smoke and other obstacles, and Infected, which highlights those infected with the virus as well as military units. One defensive and offensive power may be active at a time, and using either will negate Alex's current disguise. In addition to his own abilities, Alex can take the weapons from defeated or absorbed enemies. These include automatic rifles, grenade launchers, and missile launchers. He can also seize control of military vehicles, such as tanks and helicopters.

Alex's most powerful attacks are the Devastators, which require Alex to be in Critical Mass - either a state of near-death or having excess stored biomass. These include the Tendril Barrage, which fires impaling tendrils from his body in all directions, the Groundspike Graveyard, which erupts massive spikes from the ground all around Alex, and the Critical Pain, which fires a single beam of hardened biomass from his hands to cause damage on a single target.

For movement around the city, the player has access to a number of enhanced parkour feats. At running speed, he will automatically hop over cars, barriers and other obstacles without losing momentum. Alex will also scale any wall he comes into contact with. He can jump great heights and distances, enough to clear five-story buildings, and can sprint at extreme speed indefinitely. Falls cause no damage to the player even from the greatest heights. Even small jumps are enough for Alex to dent the ground beneath him, and falls from sufficient heights will create shockwaves at the point of impact which will kill most humans nearby. Falling height also factors into several of Alex's melee attacks.

Sounds pretty awesome, Parkour, Stealth, Shapeshifting?

I haven't played it yet, probably going to get started tonight. Anyone played it?

This post has been edited by Stoic Person Eater: Feb 1 2010, 02:31 PM
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Feb 1 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #2

Get off my Planet

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,730
XBL Gamertag: CFO Charles
PSN Name: PS-FANBOY1

Yes. The game is insanely hard. I honestly didn't think it lived up to it's hype.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Feb 1 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #3

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Feb 1 2010, 10:50 AM) *
Yes. The game is insanely hard. I honestly didn't think it lived up to it's hype.

Hard? How?

What was the hype? I knew this was coming out, but I totally missed it last year.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Feb 1 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #4

Get off my Planet

The hype was mostly "ZOMG YOU CAN BE A DUDE WHO CAN TRANSFORM INTO GIANT SPINNING BLADES AND TAKE CONTROL OF PEOPLE AND RUN ON WALLS HOLY SHIT I JUST SHIT MY PANTS."

Yeah, that was cool, for maybe an hour. As for difficulty, once you get past a certain point you'll find yourself repeating the same mission about 20 times beforte you beat it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Feb 1 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #5

Boss
Group Icon

Hmm, I'll try and be more open minded about it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Feb 1 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #6

Get off my Planet

To me this game seemed like a complete rip-off of Spiderman, and just about every other superhero game out there. Ffs the game even takes place in New-York!
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Feb 1 2010, 04:42 PM
Post #7

Boss
Group Icon

I actually enjoyed Spiderman 2 (except for those damn balloon retrievals) - I dunno. I'm looking forward to it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Feb 1 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #8

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

this came out at the same time as the PS3 exclusive, "infamous"... and it quickly got slammed because of how inferior it was to infamous... i mean, infamous did everything right with their sandbox super hero... so much so that, ptototype got shafted in reviews because, every aspect wasn't up to the same bar that infamous set just weeks before...

and infamous was a damn good game, highly recommended if you have a PS3... but, i always thought that prototype deserved a look... maybe someday in the future but, the time is still not here, even a year after release...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Feb 2 2010, 01:45 AM
Post #9

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

I liked both this and Infamous, More so with Infamous due to the karma system and a few other minor things. I bought Prototype used, but it was still about $50, and despite being a good game, it wasn't worth it at that price. If you picked it up for less than $25-$30, you'll be very happy with it.

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Feb 2 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #10

Boss
Group Icon

I played through the first few missions last night, not a bad game. I love the ability to consume people, then run around killing people as a blonde girl in Ugz boots. Haven't really gotten into the story, blah blah blah there's a virus, blah blah blah we're copying Resident Evil's story BUT WITH A TWIST!

Overall, I'm liking the gameplay so far, it just seems like there's an awful lot of shit going on and the controls are a little hectic at times. The parkour is fun and very easy to control, I'm hoping to get a better feel for shit like gliding, air dashes and other recently upgraded moves I haven't grasped yet.
Achievements

+Quote Post
ENVi3
post Feb 2 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #11

Numbers Runner
Group Icon

Member No.: 262

QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Feb 1 2010, 10:22 AM) *
To me this game seemed like a complete rip-off of Spiderman, and just about every other superhero game out there. Ffs the game even takes place in New-York!
No actually it was a COMPLETE rip-off of The Hulk: Ultimate Destruction ... but both The Hulk and Prototype were made by the same people, so i guess it's more like a "sequel". Honestly I think you would be better off saving some money and just playing The Hulk, although Prototype is a lot easier, since when you get in trouble you can just transform into someone else and lay low for a little while - but a lot of the moves are pretty much the same.
and yes, I have played both games.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
The Awesome One
post Mar 3 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #12

Poshboy...

Member No.: 49,030
XBL Gamertag: the mighty moa

QUOTE (ENVi3 @ Feb 2 2010, 11:59 PM) *
QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Feb 1 2010, 10:22 AM) *
No actually it was a COMPLETE rip-off of The Hulk: Ultimate Destruction ... but both The Hulk and Prototype were made by the same people, so i guess it's more like a "sequel". Honestly I think you would be better off saving some money and just playing The Hulk, although Prototype is a lot easier, since when you get in trouble you can just transform into someone else and lay low for a little while - but a lot of the moves are pretty much the same.
and yes, I have played both games.

Damn, Hulk was a good game.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
OptimumPx
post Mar 5 2010, 05:46 AM
Post #13

Basket Case
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,168

After a point I stopped playing the game's missions and just started fucking around the city with my powers.

Then that got old and I stopped playing it altogether.

Liked it better then Infamous though.

--------------------
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
Achievements

+Quote Post
angeal18
post Mar 7 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #14

Litterer

Member No.: 42,256

I had alot of fun with Prototype, Ive been waiting for them to announce a sequel.
Achievements

+Quote Post
The Awesome One
post Mar 7 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #15

Poshboy...

Member No.: 49,030
XBL Gamertag: the mighty moa

I got fed up with it. I had no clue what was going on.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Edgecrusher
post Mar 8 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #16

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
Group Icon

Member No.: 480
PSN Name: JonnyCanonFodder

I keep nearly buying this and then someone tells me it's crap. Might just have to just bite the bullet though.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Mar 8 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #17

Get off my Planet

I kept thinking like that too... Until I actually played it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Mar 8 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #18

Boss
Group Icon

I've been meaning to give this a spin recently.

I just scraped the surface of the storyline, I've just been running around eating people and totally fucking them up. Still working on the upgrades and getting used to the controls. It's great mindless killing though, the bloodwork is fantastic.

If you can find it used, I highly suggest picking it up. It's definitely worth the price.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Edgecrusher
post Mar 9 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #19

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
Group Icon

Member No.: 480
PSN Name: JonnyCanonFodder

I got it yesterday for 19.99 along with Infamous, I haven't been dissapointed so far, except that I thought the ped AI and the variety of different models could've been better, gameplay is great fun though.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Mar 9 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #20

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (Edgecrusher @ Mar 9 2010, 06:20 AM) *
I got it yesterday for 19.99 along with Infamous, I haven't been dissapointed so far, except that I thought the ped AI and the variety of different models could've been better, gameplay is great fun though.

There's nothing more bad ass than running up a building as an old woman in a dress then having her transform her arm into a massive blade to kill a bunch of other innocents.
Achievements

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 09:41 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4