> 'Witches' burnt to death in Kenya
Sharpie Fetish
post May 21 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #1

Litterer
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 34,595

I thought we grew out of this kind of stupidity 700 years ago seems like kenya certainly didnt

Eleven elderly people accused of being witches have been burned to death by a mob in the west of Kenya, police say.

A security operation has been launched to hunt down villagers suspected of killing them in Kisii District.

The BBC's Muliro Telewa in the region says the gang had a list of the victims and picked them out individually.

The area has witnessed similar attacks in the past when people suspected of engaging in witchcraft have been killed or ostracised.

But our reporter says that this is a surprisingly large number of people to be attacked at the same time.

'Witches meeting'

Anthony Kibunguchy, the provincial police officer, told the BBC that the eight women and three men were all aged between 80 and 96 years old.

The mob dragged them out of their houses and burned them individually and then set their homes alight, our correspondent says.

Residents have been ambivalent about condemning the attacks because belief in witchcraft is widespread in the area, he says.

But local official Mwangi Ngunyi spoke out against the murders.

"People must not take the law into their own hands simply because they suspect someone," he told AFP news agency.

Villagers told reporters that they had evidence that the victims were witches.

They say they found an exercise book at a local primary school that contained the minutes of a "witches' meeting" which detailed who was going to be bewitched next.

The victim's families have gone into hiding, fearing for their lives.

I know towns over in africa and stuff are pretty fucked up and dumb and stuffbut what the fuck?
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post May 21 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Get off my Planet

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,730
XBL Gamertag: CFO Charles
PSN Name: PS-FANBOY1

this has to be the most dumbest thing i've heard, but was the town like an actual town, or just one of those villages out in the bush, i could see this happening if it was out in the bush, far from civilization, but you think people would learn by now...
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post May 21 2008, 07:11 PM
Post #3

Boss
Group Icon

Member No.: 40,397

I love a good witch hunt.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Severus Snape
post May 21 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #4

Litterer

Member No.: 28,564

QUOTE(Cyantist @ May 21 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]1439310[/snapback]
I thought we grew out of this kind of stupidity 700 years ago seems like kenya certainly didnt

You need to study some American history. Salem witchtrials, 1600s/1700s? And what about Joan of Arc in France? That wast the 1700s too, if I remember correctly. That's more like 300 years ago and not 700.

Although I do agree with you that it is pretty fucked up that stuff like this happens. Religious persecution. Whether or not the people burned were actually witches or practicing, this falls into the category of religious persecution. Which is wrong. If someone wants to practice wicca (or catholicism, or satanism, or whatever) I say let them as long as they aren't hurting anyone or anything.

--------------------
QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 14 2011, 02:10 PM) *
We're more than capable of answering you, we're just not doing it because you're being a cunt, and it's you specifically we don't care about, we do care about the rest of the forums.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Sharpie Fetish
post May 21 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #5

Litterer
Group Icon

I dont do much american history ive done black americans Martin luther king and that but other than that its mainly british history

I thought 700 years because some guy called matthew hopkins made a ton of money off it back then had 300 people burned then had to take his own test and failed it LOL.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post May 21 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #6

Goon
Group Icon

Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

So this is why my dad is coming home early from Kenya... this really helps. Btw, this is utter bullshit. Burning people so close to their natural deaths is terrible and somewhat futile.

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
Un-Amurikan Bast...
post May 22 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #7

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 17,310

QUOTE(Leon Kennedy @ May 21 2008, 01:12 PM) [snapback]1439342[/snapback]
QUOTE(Cyantist @ May 21 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]1439310[/snapback]

You need to study some American history. Salem witchtrials, 1600s/1700s? And what about Joan of Arc in France? That wast the 1700s too, if I remember correctly. That's more like 300 years ago and not 700.

Although I do agree with you that it is pretty fucked up that stuff like this happens. Religious persecution. Whether or not the people burned were actually witches or practicing, this falls into the category of religious persecution. Which is wrong. If someone wants to practice wicca (or catholicism, or satanism, or whatever) I say let them as long as they aren't hurting anyone or anything.

Jeanne d'Arc was 1400's, BTW - about 700 years ago. Witch burning has been going on for a long ol' time...but no one was burned during the Salem trials, and only a few people were killed at those.

It's easy enough to say that about other beliefs in our culture, but in tribal cultures that believe in supernatural and magical forces "witches" can be a terrifying prospect. Though I do find this incident in Kenya a little disconcerting, it's understandable given some tribal beliefs.

--------------------

QUOTE(Styx)
Dancin' on a landmine baby one leg left, I can still crawl and I'm not dead yet. You better get a bigger gun, I'm not dead yet.

QUOTE(K. M. Munshi)
Have a scripture to recite, but make your own path.

Achievements

+Quote Post
What?
post May 22 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #8

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 40,986

The all-powerful-and-mighty Wikipedia says that Joan of Arc died in 1431.

Surely people have come to realise that burning so-called 'witches' acheives absolutely nothing, and is a gruesome and horrible way to end somebody's life. I hope the accused murderers are caught and punished accordingly.

I would say 'what is the world coming to' like I usually do, but as this started over 700 years ago or whatever I won't.
Achievements

+Quote Post
BRKS
post May 23 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #9

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 39,601

Yeh we grew out of it hundreds of years ago, but you gotta understand Africa is hundreds of years behind us. I mean there was a report on HIV in Africa and some Africans thought the way to cure HIV sufferers was for them to have sex with VIRGINS!

This post has been edited by BRKS: May 23 2008, 12:33 AM

--------------------

ENgLiSh AnD PRouD !!

Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post May 23 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #10

Goon
Group Icon

Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

You'd have to kill the roughly 300 young men that were involved in the scouting of these 'witches.' Trust me. No one will be punished for this horrible act.

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
Bain
post May 23 2008, 05:38 AM
Post #11

Rat
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,884

When I saw this topic I couldnt help but think of Powerthirst. In fact, if they had powerthirst they could have outrun the people who were trying to kill them because they could run like Kenyans.

In all seriousness, Africa is a fucked up place I think it would take a hundred lifetimes to turn around.

We could turn it around by using our ENERGY LEGS!!!

--------------------
BAIN POINTS:

Pickles: +7
D-O: +88
Mekstizzle: +10
QD: -10
Frog Choker: + 13
Analogkid: -25
Psy: -8
Ast: +10
Treefitty: -10
Viceman: -59*
Massacre: +5
Spoiler: -14
Voodoo: +17

*= Fail
Achievements

+Quote Post
neko_ceko
post May 23 2008, 07:12 AM
Post #12

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 38,360
Xfire Identity: nekoceko

Watched it on news yesterday
Achievements

+Quote Post
Sharpie Fetish
post May 23 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #13

Litterer
Group Icon

QUOTE(Devil Dog @ May 23 2008, 06:38 AM) [snapback]1440216[/snapback]
When I saw this topic I couldnt help but think of Powerthirst. In fact, if they had powerthirst they could have outrun the people who were trying to kill them because they could run like Kenyans.

In all seriousness, Africa is a fucked up place I think it would take a hundred lifetimes to turn around.

This is in kenya power thirst makes you run as fast as a kenyan so it really just means youd run as fast as you normlly would considering those people are already kenyans?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Ridikul
post May 23 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #14

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 41,016

It's surprising how advanced we are yet still so ignorant.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Bain
post May 24 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #15

Rat
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,884

QUOTE(Cyantist @ May 23 2008, 06:21 AM) [snapback]1440307[/snapback]
QUOTE(Devil Dog @ May 23 2008, 06:38 AM) [snapback]1440216[/snapback]

This is in kenya power thirst makes you run as fast as a kenyan so it really just means youd run as fast as you normlly would considering those people are already kenyans?

Funny how logic makes its way even into a powerthirst discussion on this forum.

--------------------
BAIN POINTS:

Pickles: +7
D-O: +88
Mekstizzle: +10
QD: -10
Frog Choker: + 13
Analogkid: -25
Psy: -8
Ast: +10
Treefitty: -10
Viceman: -59*
Massacre: +5
Spoiler: -14
Voodoo: +17

*= Fail
Achievements

+Quote Post
Don Leone
post Jun 30 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #16

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 38,379

Much of Africa is still in the age of dictators, capital punishment, and general medieval practices, and so this witch-burning business seems quite logical, as well as incredibly ridiculous to Westerners. Give it a few hundred years and Africans might start to become sophisticated enough to handle democracy and education.

This post has been edited by Don Leone: Jul 7 2008, 08:11 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
DiO
post Jun 30 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #17

Forgot about member titles for awhile there...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

QUOTE(BRKS @ May 22 2008, 08:09 PM) [snapback]1440091[/snapback]
Yeh we grew out of it hundreds of years ago, but you gotta understand Africa is hundreds of years behind us. I mean there was a report on HIV in Africa and some Africans thought the way to cure HIV sufferers was for them to have sex with VIRGINS!

QUOTE(Don Leone @ Jun 30 2008, 04:03 PM) [snapback]1451836[/snapback]
Much of Africa is still in the age of dictators, capital punishment, and general medieval practices, and so this witch-burning business seems quite logical, as well as incredibly rediculous to Westerners. Give it a few hundred years and Africans might start to become sophisticated enough to handle democracy and education.

/\ Pretty much. Developing countries are like going back in time. I can't wait to go back when they discover cock rock so I can laugh at all the dudes dressed as chicks. Wait.....We got emo kids. NVM.

QUOTE(Ridikul @ May 23 2008, 12:08 PM) [snapback]1440414[/snapback]
It's surprising how advanced we are yet still so ignorant.

We are advanced. They aren't. Not that Im not suprised. Its fucking crazy. (And not that there aren't ignorant people in civilized countries)

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Murdoc1
post Jul 8 2008, 03:06 AM
Post #18

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 30,755

Considering alot of the bullshit Americans swallow and the way so many of us live our lives, this isn't too bad, I mean a year ago I believed some dead jew rose from the dead and that I eat his body and drink his blood on random days. It's pretty retarded to look down at other peoples logic and beliefs, it's all they really know just like your logic and beliefs is all you really know, in two hundred years people are going to realize that not only is pluto a planet but that we actually live on it, then who will be laughing then? The Kenyans.

--------------------
QUOTE(Ashley Graham @ Jul 9 2008, 03:09 PM) [snapback]1453747[/snapback]
Which is what separates those of us with intelligence from animals - our ability to realize that sleeping with family members is wrong.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Skinny 
post Jul 16 2008, 05:15 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 38,184

QUOTE(M.C Nugget @ Jul 1 2008, 06:58 AM) [snapback]1451858[/snapback]
We are advanced. They aren't.

It's sad you think of it, as us and them.

Not that Im not suprised. Its fucking crazy.

As said above, most people here, believe 2000 years ago someone rose from the dead after preforming impossible acts, with no supporting evidence (and despite the contradicting evidence).

--------------------
=D
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 06:51 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4